Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1262682 times)

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #8940 on: February 12, 2020, 05:59:03 pm »
It's ok. Maggie is on it. She'll have it sorted by the time Mr. Zog gets back. She says it's almost certainly a critter-related problem.

:imaposer:   Now that is funny  :imaposer:

I'd wager there's a snake under the mower deck!
Prepare yourself for four more years 😎

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8941 on: February 13, 2020, 07:19:33 pm »
Maggie's still working on the problem. She says it's really difficult to do by herself, and the hired help won't even get out of bed...

The following users thanked this post: Sardine, big oil

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8942 on: February 14, 2020, 05:33:47 am »
Maggie...what a dog  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8943 on: February 14, 2020, 06:23:01 pm »
You know you hit the "Husband Jackpot" when he knows EXACTLY what to give you for Valentine's Day: $5 cash to go to the 50 cent book sale at the library.

I'm not being funny. I love it. Plus, the books were buy one, get one free. I SCORED!

What can I say, I'm easy to please.

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

The following users thanked this post: Rynet

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8944 on: February 14, 2020, 06:41:17 pm »
You know you hit the "Husband Jackpot" when he knows EXACTLY what to give you for Valentine's Day: $5 cash to go to the 50 cent book sale at the library.

I'm not being funny. I love it. Plus, the books were buy one, get one free. I SCORED!

Nice - it's the little things that matter  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

Offline Ri

« Reply #8945 on: February 14, 2020, 09:46:37 pm »

Nice - it's the little things that matter  :thumleft:

It really is. I have to drag myself away from any form of 2nd/3rd/4th hand book store or table. I browse for hours and take home more books than I can carry.

Happy Valentines Day to the Zogs and Zoglets  :love7:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8946 on: February 15, 2020, 01:53:03 am »
So I got back from Kissimmee late last night, just after 9pm.

It was two very long, very hot, and very hard days. But we got the job done, and we'll return in about two weeks again for phase 2.

Unfortunately driving back last night I had a blow-out on one of my trailer tyres  :eek7:

All warning I got that something was wrong was a massive bang, then a vibration. I pulled over and checked it out, the right side tyre had completely disintegrated, just the parts of the sidewalls still on the rim. The tyre had also caught the steel mudguard and pulled it right into the wheelwell, folding it double. And it had also knocked off the tail light cluster.

Eish  :xxbah:

Luckily I did have a spare, so after removing the destroyed tyre I was able to bend the mudguard back, out of the way. Fitted the spare and used duct tape to put the tail light back again. Then continued driving home.

It was damage caused while on company time, so I am sure that the boss will have no issue replacing the tyre and the tail light, I'll find out next week when I see him again. I was back at the shop early this morning to get my van unpacked from all the stuff from the trip, and to get it restocked for todays jobs. Never saw the boss at all. I was also going to bring it home today so I could fix it this weekend, but I didn't do that. I have enough to do this weekend already...

I'll try document the repairs on the mower this weekend. Hopefully I can get it running easily and cheaply, and sell it off for a good price  :thumleft:

:ricky: 
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8947 on: February 16, 2020, 02:26:35 am »
So I started off with the mower this morning.

First order of business was to remove the mower deck, where the blades are fitted, to make it lighter and easier to push into the workshop. It also makes it a lot narrower. Then I removed the hood / bonnet as well. I pushed it into the workshop and got busy.

I pulled out the spark plugs, and gave each cylinder a quick squirt of WD40, just because. The battery was stone dead, so I used a jump-starter to spin the engine over and check for spark. I found good spark on both plugs!  :ricky:

Next step was to see if the engine would actually fire up. So I pulled off the air cleaner (the air filter element foam was very old and crumbling) and gave the carb a quick squirt of petrol. I like to use a 2-stroke petrol mix for stuff like that, I think that the added oil helps to lubricate a possibly dry cylinder. I spun the engine over again, and it fired up!!!  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

It only ran for a second, but that was all I needed to know. So I got to work giving it a good washing with the air-gun that I had bought online a few weeks ago. I used a weak mix of Prepsol (it's called something else here, but I know Prepsol when I see it  :peepwall:  :imaposer: ) and water. Once the worst of the gunk was off I blew it dry with the compressor and pushed the mower back into the workshop.

I pulled off the carb, and some of the covers on the engine, and then I gave the carb a really good cleaning, inside and out. I also gave the engine another cleaning as the gunk was still blocking some of the cooling fins. Once it was all clean properly, I checked out the fuel tank, which was remarkably clean! I did blow it out with the compressor though, and also made sure that the fuel line to the carb was clear.

Finally I added some fuel to the tank, primed up the carb, and turned the key...

And she lives!!!

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 02:53:16 am by Mr Zog »
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8948 on: February 16, 2020, 03:06:37 am »
Once I knew it would run ok, I got busy with the other stuff.

Like the mower deck. The blades were completely shot  :eek7:  And it looks like someone had mown up their vest / panty  too  :imaposer:

So I headed off to the Home Depot. There I bought a new set of blades (I got the wrong ones, had to go back and exchange them :peepwall:  :lamer: ) and a new battery, and a 4 liter can of engine oil.

I gave the mower deck a good cleaning. First with a scraper to get rid of the worst caked-on grass, then with the hose to get rid of all the accumulated crap. I checked and greased the spindle bearings, then I fitted the new blades. I put the new battery into the mower, re-installed the mower deck, and after some minor panel-beating on the hood, I refitted that too.

Finally I fired it all up again, and gave it a couple of runs over the lawn. It was already getting dark by then, so no more pics for now. But it ran well, the deck needs a bit of adjustment / levelling, and I'll also change the engine oil tomorrow. The oil was not too bad when I originally checked it, but I'll change it anyway. Just to be sure.

Then hopefully by lunchtime I can get some good pics, and get it advertised on Craigslist. As soon as it sells I'll use some of the proceeds to pay back the money that I used to buy the spares on the Home Depot card, and then hopefully there will be enough left over to pay some of the bills that are mounting up.

The mower runs well, and getting it going again was quite simple. I still wonder how people can just throw away good money like that...  :sip:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #8949 on: February 16, 2020, 06:49:47 am »
Nice one, I trust it will sell quickly and for a good price!
I used you as an example to motivate my friend who is going over in the next few months!
He is going to Texas though.
He is also very handy with his hands.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8950 on: February 16, 2020, 10:20:38 am »
 :thumleft: Well done Gary

I am leaving tonight first flying to Amsterdam, then Minneapolis and then Omaha Nebraska. Road trip to Lincoln where we will overnight and get paperwork sorted, drug screening etc and then to Dorchester.
Not sure if my USA number on Straight talk still works, but will sort and get in touch  :thumleft:

Not sure if you have already booked your son's tickets, but have a look at KLM (Royal Dutch) since they were R7K cheaper for a return flight and they still uses Delta from Amsterdam to the States and back to Amsterdam again year end.

Offline Ri

« Reply #8951 on: February 16, 2020, 01:05:09 pm »
Anything you touch turns to almost better-than-new :thumleft:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8952 on: February 16, 2020, 01:09:09 pm »
Great job Mr Zog  :thumleft:

I hope you sell it for sommer a lekker profit  :3some:
Ja/Nee

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8953 on: February 17, 2020, 02:23:03 am »
This morning the lawn tractor had to take a back seat.

Mrs Zog and I decided to go out for a bit, we went off to the Turtle Sanctuary over on the beachside where we went for a walk along a trail through the bush. Not a long trail, only around a mile, but the trail encompasses the differences in the vegetation that just a few inches of elevation makes.

We finally got home around lunch time, and after I had called my mom and my son for their regular Sunday phone call I headed back out to the workshop. The engine fired right up when I turned the key, so I let it run for a few minutes to warm the oil, then I shut it off and drained the oil. I replaced the oil with the correct amount of new oil, then I had another look at the blade settings. I decided that the blades were set good enough, so I greased up all the bearings on the steering and the wheels with my grease gun, then I gave the mower a good wipe-down using some WD40. The WD40 gives it a good shine, and also protects against rust etc.

Then a few pics, and I put the ad in on Craigslist. Already I have had two scammers trying their luck  :lamer:

After finishing off the mower I cut the grass and did the weed eating, then I gave myself a haircut and a shave, and finally I gave the dogs a bath.

Weekend done. Hold thumbs for me that I get a quick sale on the mower  :thumleft:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8954 on: February 17, 2020, 05:31:01 am »
Holding thumbs and crossing toes for a quick sale.

So these ride-on mowers don't have grass catchers? Do they just spew the cut grass out and you have to rake it up?
Ja/Nee

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #8955 on: February 17, 2020, 05:48:38 am »
Holding thumbs and crossing toes for a quick sale.

So these ride-on mowers don't have grass catchers? Do they just spew the cut grass out and you have to rake it up?
No these models do not have catchers as they are for big lawns and the cut gras gets spread out by the blades in a thin layer which then puts nutrients back in the ground.
I only rake when I let the gras get too long.
Dakar 650
SR 500

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8956 on: February 17, 2020, 03:55:09 pm »
Yesterday after the trail walk at the turtle center, I went inside to use the bathroom (I've been there many times before, so we skipped the exhibits). They were giving away baby mangrove trees (called "propagules") with care instructions - for free! How could I resist?

The nice old gentleman (the center is staffed by volunteers, most of them retired people with a passion for turtles and the environment) explained how to make it grow at home. It's fairly basic: a container of clean water with a dash of epsom salt to simulate the brackish water it normally grows in.

I researched some more when we got home. Some of the best information about growing mangrove trees at home actually comes from a zoo/aquarium in Vienna, Austria. Coincidentally, just last week I edited a research article for them about starfish! Small world.

So I'll give this a shot. His name is Manny - Manny the Mangrove. Yes. I name all my plants and I talk to them. Don't judge me.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 03:57:36 pm by Mrs. Zog »

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8957 on: February 17, 2020, 04:39:41 pm »
Your memory must be just like you - amazing - cos you have a lot of plants  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8958 on: February 17, 2020, 05:00:15 pm »
Well, I name the bigger ones, and the more "memorable" ones.

Indoors I have Manny the Mangrove, Vern the Fern, Fred the Phalaenopsis (an orchid), Bart the Prayer Plant and Bart Jr. (which I grew from one of Bart's broken leaves), and a still unnamed ZZ plant (Zamioculcas zamiifolia) that's been name-less for about 3 years now. Any suggestions?

Outside I have Bruce the Australian tree fern, Spike the Prickly Pear Cactus, and I'm open to suggestions for my two Christmas cacti (Schlumbergera).

The following users thanked this post: Rynet

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8959 on: February 17, 2020, 07:01:04 pm »
ZZ Top  :imaposer:
Ja/Nee

The following users thanked this post: Brink, Mrs. Zog