Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1060533 times)

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #8980 on: February 21, 2020, 06:06:59 pm »
Robert Townsend (ex CEO of AVIS) wrote a book called "Up the Organisation" way back in the 60's.

He suggested never to ask for a raise.
He suggested to resign from the position and attach an application for the same position, stating the salary that you expect.
The boss then knows:
1. That you feel so strongly about being underpaid that you are prepared to resign.
2. That you are loyal to the company and still want to work there.
3. What you expect to be paid.

It is a high-risk tactic, because the boss can simply accept your resignation and then you are out...!
But, if you really are confident of what you are worth, then the boss knows how much your continued employment will cost the employer.
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
« Reply #8981 on: February 22, 2020, 11:18:02 am »
Baie geluk Zog!
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
Vrou se NC700.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8982 on: February 23, 2020, 04:01:45 am »
So I had a long chat to my old mate Tom last night.

Sounds like he is doing really well at the new Co-op so far. He bought himself a Mountain Bike to ride the trails around the area, and just to get around on. He also wants to go fishing with it in the local rivers and lakes. Problem is how to carry a fishing rod on a bicycle without either breaking it, or getting it stuck and falling off...

That's where Zog comes in....  :ricky:

Coupla years ago I scored a free bicycle off the side of the road. I designed a rod-holder for it that has seen its fair share of action and hasn't failed yet.

So this morning I rummaged through my stash of plumbing supplies in the workshop and found that I had enough stuff to make a second one.

Here is the original, on my old bike...

And with a random fishing rod inside it...

It just attaches to the seat post, with a coupla hose clamps to keep the PVC tight...

So I went ahead and made one up for Tom...

Kinda went all fancy-like too... nice lick of paint...

I even attached a piece of paracord so he can tie the rod in if he rides over rough terrain, to make sure it don't fall out  :peepwall:

Then I shoved it in a box and high-tailed it down to the Post Office before they closed and mailed it off to the man. He should have it up in Kansas by Tuesday  :deal:

Enjoy it buddy, go catch yourself some catfish for dinner now, y'hear  :lol8:  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 04:02:19 am by Mr Zog »
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8983 on: February 23, 2020, 04:14:35 am »
On the way back from the Post Office I stopped off at the Home Depot and picked up 3 8-foot lengths of pine.

They were around $5 each.

You see, I am currently unable to spend any time in my workshop after sunset as the mozzies are just horrendous. And if I close the door it's like a sauna in there in the summer.

So I decided that I needed a mozzie screen door. Unfortunately the nice aluminium ones start at around $85  :eek7: 

At that price I will make my own  :sip:

I used the wood to construct the framework. Then I hauled out some screening channels that I had in my stash in the garden shed (yup, now y'all know why I took so long to move everything over from the old house, and why it took so long to get everything sorted out) and a last piece of mozzie screen that I had saved, and built a pretty nice screen door for the workshop.

Everything else came from my "stash", the hinges, the screws, the lot. I didn't have a door handle, so I made a plan with some little brackets, and to keep the door closed if the wind blows, I used a magnet and a metal strip on the door frame  :peepwall:

I didn't get pics of all the details, but here is a pic of the (almost) finished product  :thumleft:

By the time I had gotten this far it was time to feed the squirrels, feed the dogs, and spend some time indoors  :ricky:

I'll finish it off in the morning  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #8984 on: February 23, 2020, 09:31:07 am »
Continue to love the way up our head (and mine) works,

Good job.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Pumbaa

« Reply #8985 on: February 23, 2020, 10:39:07 am »
Well done with your increase Mr Zog. Well deserved.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8986 on: February 23, 2020, 10:55:07 am »
Verrrry nice Pieter !

I'm sure Tom will appreciate that gift - good job  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

The following users thanked this post: BFG

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8987 on: February 23, 2020, 05:19:27 pm »
Looking fw to my fishing rod holder, thanks Gary!!  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8988 on: February 24, 2020, 02:25:51 am »
I'll start off by apologizing for not taking any pics today :peepwall:

This morning I finished off the screen door in the workshop. I added some 1/4 round strips at the edge of the screen door where it rests in the door frame to create a perfect fit. Now no bugs can get in there  :ricky:

Then I did some sorting out... stuff like nuts and bolts and washers and screws etc... separating them out into categories and sizes and stuff, then putting them into different containers so I could find what I am looking for more easily.

I also put up another small shelf in the workshop for my mower repair tools and spares. Keeps them all together.

I grabbed my sons BMX bike from out the back and gave it a good service. Lubed up the brake cables, re-greased the rear wheel bearings and the free-wheel unit. Pumped up the tyres after fixing the front tyre…

Then I did much of the same for the MTB that I scored for him. Also cleaned the rust off the chains and lubed them up good.

I know it's still almost 4 months before he gets here, but I'm getting really excited to see him again, and I want his "toys" to be good and ready for him.

I was on call this weekend, but so far I haven't had a single call-out. Nice on the one hand to be able to have a rest, but bad on the other hand because I really could do with the overtime. Que serra…  :sip:

Thanks for reading guys  :thumleft:  have a great week  :ricky:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 02:36:10 am by Mr Zog »

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8989 on: February 24, 2020, 11:50:44 am »
Mozzies.......scourge of the planet. Your boy is gonna love his working toys - what a Dad :thumleft:

Pity about no callouts but you also need the rest hey.

Have a nice week.
Ja/Nee

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8990 on: February 25, 2020, 11:15:25 pm »
When science tries to be cute...  ;D
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8991 on: February 26, 2020, 03:50:36 am »
Thanks Gary, the parcel was on the front porch when I arrived home!!
Now I can fit my rod holder to the bicycle and go fishing over non working weekends!!

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #8992 on: February 26, 2020, 03:23:26 pm »
Lovely snow day in Michigan today meaning half the people stayed at home so i got peace in the office.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8993 on: February 26, 2020, 11:20:34 pm »
You know, some days I really hate my job. But at least I get a lot of subject matter variety.

Last week it was about starfish and coral reefs. A few days ago I had research about hair follicles in the rectum  :o :o :o. Today it's all about coconuts.

Never boring, at least. Sometimes I even learn something.  ;D
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #8994 on: February 26, 2020, 11:28:02 pm »
You have the right sense of humour! :ricky: :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8995 on: February 27, 2020, 03:00:50 am »
Around lunch time today the boss called me.

I'm heading back to Kissimmee tomorrow well before dawn for another two days of work at the dialysis clinic. So the afternoon was spent rushing about and sourcing the parts I need for tomorrow and Friday. Then back to the shop where I had to cut up 80 sections of Unistrut, each at 12 inches long. Pack them into crates and load them into the van.

Also the Unistrut clamps in two different sizes for the different pipes. I got 30 feet of 3/4 inch pipe and cut it all into 2 inch lengths to use as sheaths for the 1/2 inch pipe to protect it from the sharp edges of the Unistrut clamps.

Various other bits and bobs too...

Van is all packed up, ready to roll at 5am.

Back home I loaded up the trailer quickly. I had gotten a lead on a free fridge... so headed over and collected it! It's not a big one, nor fancy at all. No ice maker, no water dispenser, just a fridge with a freezer on top. But it's clean, and it works. So now it's in the garage, and when our regular fridge kicks the bucket (it has been circling the drain for a long time now) at least we will still be ok. I also scored a brand new, unopened roll of carpet for $20!

The carpet is 12 feet by 10 feet, and should be big enough to use to recarpet the spare room. It even came with almost enough pad (underfelt) to get the job done. It's normal wall-to-wall carpet, but will make a big difference in the spare room. If I had to buy this carpet at the Home Depot it would have been around $400  :eek7:  So a BIG score, Makes me happy! Just laying that carpet will be a big job... :peepwall:

I'll be back late Friday evening, and may have to return again on Monday to finish off, but I'm off this weekend. So hopefully I can get some more projects done  :ricky:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8996 on: February 27, 2020, 03:01:13 am »
You know, some days I really hate my job. But at least I get a lot of subject matter variety.

Last week it was about starfish and coral reefs. A few days ago I had research about hair follicles in the rectum  :o :o :o. Today it's all about coconuts.

Never boring, at least. Sometimes I even learn something.  ;D

:o :o Information overload  :eek7:
 :imaposer: :imaposer:

At least you love reading Mrs Z  :)

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #8997 on: February 27, 2020, 09:18:01 am »
Been away for a while (just not reading), but have caught up and realised how much reading this thread means to me. My best mate committed suicide on the 9th and I am busy sorting out his affairs - sometimes it's a little depressing, but I have this to help me. It makes me also thankful for what I DO have.

If all goes well I'll be making a trip to the USA in October sometime. Not sure If I'll make it to Florida (sounds too damn hot anyway) but time will tell. Will be riding the rails...I like the light at the end of the tunnel to be a train... :thumleft:
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #8998 on: February 27, 2020, 05:34:09 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Soak up some extra cuddles from your dogglies - it always helps!

You are of course more than welcome at Casa Zog anytime! October here is not too bad. The worst is May to September. Temps start to go down in October (but of course, it's hurricane season then).

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #8999 on: February 28, 2020, 08:55:54 am »
 :thumleft:
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)