Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1052087 times)

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #9200 on: March 26, 2020, 06:46:12 pm »
I trust Zog will get some emergencies, I went and bought some bike maintenance stuff today, fark all to do for 3 weeks other than picking up Great Dane shit and mowing the lawn, in that order unless you like "tanned" shins.  :sip:
Adventure before Dementia.

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #9201 on: March 26, 2020, 11:36:38 pm »
I trust Zog will get some emergencies, I went and bought some bike maintenance stuff today, fark all to do for 3 weeks other than picking up Great Dane shit and mowing the lawn, in that order unless you like "tanned" shins.  :sip:
:laughing4: :laughing4:
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #9202 on: March 27, 2020, 05:01:02 am »

@Welsh That stuff will rip the blades off if you hit it... more than just tanned shins  :biggrin:
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

The following users thanked this post: hedleyj

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9203 on: March 27, 2020, 03:18:47 pm »
I said to Mr. Zog this morning, I hope all this shit is mostly over by the time hurricane season starts. Let's just do one disaster at a time.  ::)

Hurricane season starts on June 1.
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #9204 on: March 29, 2020, 12:20:28 am »
We have stopped doing certain jobs at work until this is all over.

Basically any job that requires us to enter a customers home, as well as any job that requires two or more staff members to get it done. The garage of a house is considered ok, unless we (the staff members) think that it isn't quite safe for whatever reason.

We are also trying very hard not to get within 6 feet of anyone. If customers approach us we ask them to step back, no shaking hands, no elbow bumps, etc. No handling cash or cheques, we finalize the electronic invoice and then get the office to process the payment over the phone. Just safer for all involved.

But even with these restrictions I am still getting 8 - 9 hours per day, so I am considering myself lucky. Many people have lost their jobs already with non-essential services being stopped. And restaurants no longer have eat-in dining, only take-out etc.

Our County (Brevard) still doesn't have serious movement restrictions, but I did get an alert this afternoon from the Surgeon General that all those over 65 should now self-isolate. Other Counties have issued lock-down orders, like Miami-Dade and Broward (Fort Lauderdale). The Governor has also got roadblocks at the State borders to stop the influx of people trying to get away from their own Covid19 "Hotspots" like New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, etc. Too many people are coming down to Florida and bringing the virus with them...

I have a good supply of hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes, and even a couple of good quality 3M N95 masks with the exhalation valve. I'm trying really hard to keep my distance and to keep virus free, because not being able to work for 2 weeks will ruin us financially.

It's not just rough over in SA guys & girls, it's everywhere. I'm thinking of y'all, stay safe, stay healthy, and stay happy  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9205 on: March 29, 2020, 12:36:10 am »
This morning Mrs Zog and I headed over to the Home Depot.

She wanted to get some coconut fiber so that I can make her a support for the special succulent that she has that only flowers one night a year (I forget the bloody things name  :peepwall: ) so that it can grow some more and maybe even flower again this year. While there she also picked up a plant that she wanted for the garden...

Then across the way to the supermarket for a couple of the basics. Some products are being rationed, to prevent stockpiling or hoarding, so for some things (like rice, pasta, tinned foods) we have to make several trips to get enough for a week.

Back home I got busy in the garden. I cut down the big plant that was growing up against the  side of the house that was giving critters like Possums and Racoons a way to get up onto the roof and also in under the eaves and into the attic. Getting critters inside the roof would be a nightmare, and we have heard the little fuckers up on the roof at night several times now.

I took several of the cuttings and planted them in the front garden, hopefully they will take... I also put several smaller ones into a bucket of water to see if they will root as a backup...  :sip:  :lol8:

I dug a hole for the new plant that Mrs Zog bought, I forget the name of the plant, but we call it Claude because I said it sounds French  :peepwall:  :imaposer:  and planted it. Gave it lots of water so it can grow nice and big.

I also did a bunch of pruning and trimming and cleaning up of the other plants in the garden, with spring here I felt it was time to get the flora back in shape  :ricky:   I'll do the mowing tomorrow  8)

Finally I managed to get into my workshop and take a good look at the knife that I am making...
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9206 on: March 29, 2020, 12:51:17 am »
A quick look the other day at the knife I am making showed that the epoxy had hardened way too fast and the handle wasn't seated properly.

Well, a good look today confirmed that  :(

You can see the gap between the blade and the handle...

So nothing for it except to cut it all off and start again...

There, all done... start over. Pity, because the wood had a stunning grain. But that's ok, I still have a little bit of that piece of wood left, so I cut a new set of handles.

Sanded them smooth on the inside faces. I also found while removing the other handles that the epoxy didn't adhere to the steel very well at all. Even after I had cleaned all the oil off with denatured alcohol. So I drilled a whole bunch more holes through the steel handle so that the epoxy could hold a whole lot better. Then I also scuffed the steel rougher on the sander to assist the epoxy to "bite" better.

Finally I drilled the holes in the new handles, made two new brass pins, and after cleaning everything really well with denatured alcohol I tried again. This time with slower setting epoxy  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

It's looking a whole lot better already, but I will leave it clamped until tomorrow. Then I'll check it out and get some pics for y'all  :thumleft:

Now I am sitting in the lovely coolth of the air conditioning after a lekker shower to get the smell and dirt off, with an ice-cold brandy & coke, telling y'all all about it  :lol8:

Thanks for reading folks  :bueller:  :imaposer:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9207 on: March 29, 2020, 02:01:59 am »
I'm on the mailing list of the US Consulate in Johannesburg - I got on it when I first moved to SA and never unsubscribed.

Today they sent a list of hotels that are still open and accepting reservations. Please share as you see fit, if you think it could be helpful:

Country-wide

AirBnB

Johannesburg  

1.     Bannister Hotel

9 de Beer Street, Braamfontein Phone: 011 403 6888 / 7888

2.     The Capital On The Park - The Capital Hotels 

101 Katherine St, Sandown, Sandton, 2031           Phone: 010 443 0000 

3.     The Capital Empire - The Capital Hotels 

177 Empire Pl, Sandhurst, Sandton, 2196               Phone: 011 911 5000 

4.     The Capital 20 West - The Capital Hotels 

20 W Rd S, Morningside, Sandton, 2057 Phone: 011 290 9600 

5.     The Capital On Bath 

72 Bath Ave, Rosebank, Johannesburg, 2196        Phone: +27 11 340 0000 

6.     The Capital Melrose - The Capital Hotels 

Atholl Oaklands road, cnr, Kernick Ave, Melrose North, Johannesburg, 2196          Phone: 010 601 2000 

Pretoria 

7.     The Capital Menlyn Maine 

194 Bancor Ave, Menlyn, Pretoria, 0010Phone: +27 12 942 5000 

Cape Town 

8.     The Capital Mirage 

40 Chiappini St, De Waterkant, Cape Town, 8001                Phone: +27 21 200 5100 

9.     Radisson Blu Hotel & Residence, Cape Town 

22 Riebeek St, Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town, 8000

Phone: +27 21 467 4000 

10.   Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town 

100Beach Road, Granger Bay Blvd, Cape Town, 8001        Phone: +27 21 441 3000 

11.   Crystal Towers Hotel by Marriott, Cape Town

Corner of Century Blvd and Rialto Road, Century City, Cape Town, 7441    Phone: +27 021-525-3888

Durban 

12.   The Capital Pearls 

6 Lagoon Drive, Umhlanga, 4320, Umhlanga, 4320             Phone: 031 945 0000 

However, we can’t guarantee full-service at these locations. Many are offering lodging but will not offer food service. 

Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #9208 on: March 29, 2020, 06:13:23 am »

...Back home I got busy in the garden....

I took several of the cuttings and planted them in the front garden, hopefully they will take... I also put several smaller ones into a bucket of water to see if they will root as a backup...  :sip:  :lol8:

I dug a hole for the new plant that Mrs Zog bought, I forget the name of the plant, but we call it Claude because I said it sounds French  :peepwall:  :imaposer:  and planted it. Gave it lots of water so it can grow nice and big.

I also did a bunch of pruning and trimming and cleaning up of the other plants in the garden, with spring here I felt it was time to get the flora back in shape  :ricky:   I'll do the mowing tomorrow  8)

Much more of that and you can change your surname to "Gardener"?  :sip:
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #9209 on: March 29, 2020, 10:33:43 am »
Thanks for the updates Mr & Mrs Zog. Keep safe out there. Hope you can continue working.
Ja/Nee

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #9210 on: March 29, 2020, 04:46:37 pm »
Would recessing the blade handle section and then epoxy to keep it together not make it more secure?

NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9211 on: March 29, 2020, 05:22:12 pm »
Meanwhile, Mr. Zog is escalating a feud with our neighbors diagonally across the street.  :pot:

They are extraordinary fuckwits of giant proportions.

Offline grizz

• ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #9212 on: March 29, 2020, 05:58:04 pm »
Meanwhile, Mr. Zog is escalating a feud with our neighbors diagonally across the street.  :pot:

And that........ as they say, could be summarised as HKGK

Moer hulle Gary.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9213 on: March 29, 2020, 06:04:58 pm »
HKGK ?

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #9214 on: March 29, 2020, 06:11:08 pm »
HKGK ?
Ask Gary, he will tell you!
Here (K) Comes (G) Big (K) brown stuff :imaposer: :peepwall:
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9215 on: March 29, 2020, 06:19:31 pm »
 :imaposer: :thumleft:

Offline grizz

• ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #9216 on: March 29, 2020, 07:51:21 pm »
HKGK ?

Just get on and call a spade a fucking shovel boet

Hier  Kom  Groot  Kak

Basically, I would not mess with Team Zog.

Offline thabogrobler

« Reply #9217 on: March 29, 2020, 09:41:12 pm »

Now you've got everyone's attention!

Offline grizz

• ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #9218 on: March 29, 2020, 11:23:59 pm »

Now you've got everyone's attention!

Just spoke to both the Zogs for half an hour on the phone, and completely forgot to ask about this event.

What a 📦 I can be some days.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9219 on: March 30, 2020, 01:12:07 am »
HKGK ?

Just get on and call a spade a fucking shovel boet

Hier  Kom  Groot  Kak

Basically, I would not mess with Team Zog.

Eish…

I have explained the HKGK concept to Mrs Zog,  :deal:  she understands  :imaposer:

Ok, so the neighbour diagonally across the street did some repairs to his wooden fence a few months ago. He put the scrap that he had pulled off the fence out on the street so that the city refuse guys can take it away.

However, the city refuse guys will not take it away, because fence wood has been pressure treated and as such it is classified as hazardous waste and needs to be taken to the hazardous waste dump all the way up in Cocoa. Secondly, the city guys do not take anything that is longer than 4 feet. That's why I cut the carpets that I pulled out of the house into 4 foot wide sections and rolled them up. He needs to cut the sections in half at least.

Now all of this isn't really a big issue to me, until last week when fucktard decided to move the shit that had been lying on his sidewalk for the last few months across the street onto the sidewalk on my side of the street  :xxbah:  And he added an old shipping pallet too, another thing that the city does not remove. Eish...

Now I mow the grass on the sidewalk there, to keep it neat and tidy, and to do my bit to keeping our street neat and beautiful... and with his kak lying out there I can't cut the grass. As can be seen in the pics, people visiting also use this space to park their cars, and fuckwaffle is taking up that space with his selfishness.

Later this evening I will go outside and move all his kak back onto his side of the street.

And that is where I suspect the shit will start... but if he starts anything I will just call the cops and report him for illegal dumping  :pot:  :imaposer:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:26:52 am by Mr Zog »