Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1114990 times)

Sand_man, boland, Lars and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #9220 on: March 30, 2020, 01:38:22 am »
I did the mowing early today.

By lunch time it was already around the 30-degree mark, with high humidity. That's why the grass was cut by 10am  :ricky:

I had a list from Mrs Zog for the stuff I had to do today, and I crossed off the items pretty rapidly.

Take out the trash (and rebag the bin inside!)
Make the new support for the special cactus.
Mow the grass (and trim all the edges)

and a few other things that I have already forgotten  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

After calling my mom and my son back in SA as I do every Sunday, I headed out to the workshop and did some more work on my knife.

It took a whole lot of shaping and sanding and polishing... but finally I think it's done. Well, as good as I'm going to get it without special tools (like a buffer).

The numbers you can see stamped into the steel are just the old part numbers from the mower blade I used  :deal:  :thumleft:

I know, the knife is too small, the handle is too short, etc. But this is just my first attempt, and I wanted to try all the stuff I have seen on the YouTube videos I have studied. I do still want to get a buffing wheel for my grinder, and I won't use mower blades for knives like this again either. I'll keep my eyes open for old files at the pawn shops  :sip:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: grizz

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9221 on: March 30, 2020, 02:16:52 am »
Mr. Zog also had a loooooong phone chat with his cousin in Pretoria.  :bueller:

Our cell phone service provider is giving free unlimited international calling to all customers (contract and prepaid) until April 30 so that people can keep in touch during the Corona crisis. This applies to the countries hardest hit by the virus, but the list is extensive, and SA is on it. They also gave every customer an extra free 15 GB of data, also valid until April 30.

I think that's really decent of them.

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #9222 on: March 30, 2020, 07:18:45 am »
Well done on the knife.

You can always use it to inflict non life-threatening injuries on the miserable neighbour.

Offline Tampan

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #9223 on: March 30, 2020, 07:46:25 am »
Nice work Gary. I've also had my share of making knife handles too short and my solution is quite easy. I take a grip on a steel ruler and that way, I determine the proper handle length for my own hand. In my case, it's around 100 - 110 mm.
Next time you make yourself a knife, maybe try this and you'll find that the handle will fit your hand perfectly.

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #9224 on: March 30, 2020, 09:19:47 am »
Mr. Zog also had a loooooong phone chat with his cousin in Pretoria.  :bueller:

Our cell phone service provider is giving free unlimited international calling to all customers (contract and prepaid) until April 30 so that people can keep in touch during the Corona crisis. This applies to the countries hardest hit by the virus, but the list is extensive, and SA is on it. They also gave every customer an extra free 15 GB of data, also valid until April 30.

I think that's really decent of them.

That is both generous and a great gesture of the phone company.

Regarding the knife, I can see it becoming the perfect kitchen knife for food prep like vegetables, or even a tool to have out with your fishing.

The handle looks like you could actually reduce it a bit more to make it a touch more weildable

Some of my favourite knives are home made with odd dimensions that just suit certain jobs so well.

Good luck with the guy across the street.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Takashi

« Reply #9225 on: March 30, 2020, 09:50:29 am »
I would suggest you put the scrap wood up against his front door so when he opens it all that crap falls inside his house.

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
« Reply #9226 on: March 30, 2020, 11:20:37 am »

It took a whole lot of shaping and sanding and polishing... but finally I think it's done. Well, as good as I'm going to get it without special tools (like a buffer).

The numbers you can see stamped into the steel are just the old part numbers from the mower blade I used  :deal:  :thumleft:

I know, the knife is too small, the handle is too short, etc. But this is just my first attempt, and I wanted to try all the stuff I have seen on the YouTube videos I have studied. I do still want to get a buffing wheel for my grinder, and I won't use mower blades for knives like this again either. I'll keep my eyes open for old files at the pawn shops  :sip:

Lekker biltong mes  :thumleft:
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
DT 175
Vrou se NC700.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #9227 on: March 30, 2020, 11:25:54 am »
Daai mes moet dadelik vissak toe om aas mee te sny op die boot. :thumleft:
Stunning mes vir eerste probeerslag. Most inmate would give their front teeth for a knife like that!! ;) :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #9228 on: March 30, 2020, 01:00:04 pm »
Ek sien ook daardie netjiese mes gaan baie gebruik word.
Goed gedoen vir 'n eerste poging, ek is skoon jaloers!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #9229 on: March 30, 2020, 04:06:35 pm »
Don't you have a use for the wood + pallet?
And the gas braai out on the side of the road?

Opportunities in every problem, I thought.
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9230 on: March 30, 2020, 06:29:23 pm »
Just got an e-mail from Florida Power & Light, our electric company. They are knocking 25% off the May bill for all customers.  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Online Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #9231 on: March 30, 2020, 10:04:22 pm »
First off, so very pleased, Mr Zog, that you still get to do a full day's work!

Love that knife, nice and chunky with a beautiful handle. It'll definitely find a good use somewhere.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #9232 on: March 30, 2020, 10:55:00 pm »

Later this evening I will go outside and move all his kak back onto his side of the street.

And that is where I suspect the shit will start... but if he starts anything I will just call the cops and report him for illegal dumping  :pot:  :imaposer:

:imaposer: :imaposer:
GO for it TEAM ZOG  :thumleft: . Let us know how this pans out.

My 81 year old mom took advantage of her neighbours being at their beach house during Lockdown. This morning she took her very sharp cutters and at her own good time cut off all the branches of trees hanging over her property from next door. This is right at the front of their bedroom so she is not normally able to do this. At her own leisure she chucked all the branches back into their garden too while scowling gleefully.

Later on she had a cup of tea on her stoep when lo and behold the neighbour strolls out of her house, they were there all the time.  :imaposer: :imaposer:

Oh, the shame.  :lol8:

Online Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #9233 on: March 30, 2020, 11:25:03 pm »
 :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9234 on: March 31, 2020, 01:32:50 am »
Don't you have a use for the wood + pallet?
And the gas braai out on the side of the road?

Opportunities in every problem, I thought.

Nope. The wood is quite vrot, and apart from the pallet it has been pressure treated. I have heard that during the pressure treatment process they insert cyanide, or some other similar very nasty poison, so you can't even use it to make a fire as the smoke could be nasty...

I took a quick look at the braai this morning before I left for work. It's completely rusted out, nothing worth salvaging  :(
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 01:34:18 am by Mr Zog »
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9235 on: March 31, 2020, 01:36:50 am »
I didn't move the wood back over the street last night.

I just don't have the energy for it right now. Between work, chores, and the stress of the Corona, I just couldn't give a damn right now...  :peepwall:

Maybe later in the week I'll heed the devil on my shoulder though  :pot:  :imaposer:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9236 on: March 31, 2020, 03:19:12 am »
A copy & paste of the email we got from the electricity company today...

Bill decrease coming in May

I hope you and your family are safe and well.

As we continue to navigate the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis together, I wanted to share a bit of good news with you.

This week, we are taking the unprecedented step of asking the Florida Public Service Commission to allow us to fast-track a significant bill decrease beginning in May. Due to our efficiency and lower fuel prices, we have significantly reduced the amount of money we spend on fuel and plan to pass these savings on to you as soon as possible.

Normally, changes in fuel costs, whether savings or cost increases, are spread out over the balance of the year. However, our plan would give you the total annual savings in a single month’s bill. For the average residential customer who currently pays about $96 each month, this will result in a one-time decrease of nearly 25% on your May bill. Business customers will also see a significant one-time decrease in May.

Challenging times must be met with exceptional measures, and this unconventional and unprecedented action will provide you with the opportunity to save as much money as possible during this uncertain economic time.

Doing the right thing is a core value for FPL, which is why we will always do the right thing for our customers. From expanding our Care To Share® program and donating millions to local charities across the state, to suspending electrical disconnections, providing payment extensions and waiving late fees for customers in a hardship situation – policies that will remain in effect while Florida is under a state of emergency – FPL is committed to helping us all get through this difficult and unsettling time together.

Our focus on delivering clean, reliable and affordable electricity demands that we must continue working to improve the energy grid, particularly as hurricane season quickly approaches. This means, from a safe distance from you and other members of the community, our crews will still be out trimming trees, flying drones to assess equipment, putting power lines underground and installing new, stronger and more efficient facilities.

As fellow Floridians, we’re all in this together and you have my promise that we will continue to work safely and tirelessly to keep the lights on so you and your families have one less thing to worry about.

Sincerely,

Eric Silagy
President and CEO, Florida Power & Light Company

I wonder if Eskom would ever do the same? :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Online Tom van Brits

« Reply #9237 on: March 31, 2020, 04:15:44 am »
I didn't move the wood back over the street last night.

I just don't have the energy for it right now. Between work, chores, and the stress of the Corona, I just couldn't give a damn right now...  :peepwall:

Maybe later in the week I'll heed the devil on my shoulder though  :pot:  :imaposer:

Gary I know you are the better man, and also think you were venting a bit and rightfully so but never make a decision while you are mad at someone. Maybe just not worth to end up with bad relationships due to something he doesn't even recognize as wrong because he has got a different frame of reference to you. It's not that he has an unlimited supply of pallets and kark so let's hope this was a once off.

Strongs with all the challenges and trust you will make enough hours to make budged!  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Blou Zebu

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #9238 on: March 31, 2020, 06:28:33 am »
A copy & paste of the email we got from the electricity company today...

Bill decrease coming in May

I hope you and your family are safe and well.

As we continue to navigate the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis together, I wanted to share a bit of good news with you.

This week, we are taking the unprecedented step of asking the Florida Public Service Commission to allow us to fast-track a significant bill decrease beginning in May. Due to our efficiency and lower fuel prices, we have significantly reduced the amount of money we spend on fuel and plan to pass these savings on to you as soon as possible.

Normally, changes in fuel costs, whether savings or cost increases, are spread out over the balance of the year. However, our plan would give you the total annual savings in a single month’s bill. For the average residential customer who currently pays about $96 each month, this will result in a one-time decrease of nearly 25% on your May bill. Business customers will also see a significant one-time decrease in May.

Challenging times must be met with exceptional measures, and this unconventional and unprecedented action will provide you with the opportunity to save as much money as possible during this uncertain economic time.

Doing the right thing is a core value for FPL, which is why we will always do the right thing for our customers. From expanding our Care To Share® program and donating millions to local charities across the state, to suspending electrical disconnections, providing payment extensions and waiving late fees for customers in a hardship situation – policies that will remain in effect while Florida is under a state of emergency – FPL is committed to helping us all get through this difficult and unsettling time together.

Our focus on delivering clean, reliable and affordable electricity demands that we must continue working to improve the energy grid, particularly as hurricane season quickly approaches. This means, from a safe distance from you and other members of the community, our crews will still be out trimming trees, flying drones to assess equipment, putting power lines underground and installing new, stronger and more efficient facilities.

As fellow Floridians, we’re all in this together and you have my promise that we will continue to work safely and tirelessly to keep the lights on so you and your families have one less thing to worry about.

Sincerely,

Eric Silagy
President and CEO, Florida Power & Light Company

I wonder if Eskom would ever do the same? :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Probably not, but remember a lot of the Powergen will be gas based and the price has fallen through the floor.  :sip:
Trying to outlive Keith Richard.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9239 on: April 01, 2020, 05:11:20 pm »
Home isolation with Maggie and Sammy is like running a daycare:

Don't lick the carpet.
Stop chewing your foot.
Go out and play.
Don't shout at the neighbors.
Go wee wee on the grass.
Come eat your lunch.
Where is your sister?
Go lie down.
Spit it out!
Don't bully your brother.
Who wants a cookie?
Stop it or I will spray you (with the water bottle)!

:imaposer: