Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1178842 times)

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #9780 on: July 08, 2020, 07:27:47 pm »
No, the bouyancy is directly a result of displacement of water, not air pressure.  :sip:
Correct, the buoyancy is dependent on the depth at which the tanks sit in the water (the volume of water which is being displaced).
You don't have to "inflate" the tanks, they only need to be water tight  :thumleft:

The challenge will be to get the exact height at which to mount them relative to the free board, and if you want to be able to remove them, to have a sturdy mounting system.

PS: you are NOT a dumb plumber, I have seen your work  :deal:

Put removable cross members on and make like a trimaran, super stable.  :biggrin:

Dat's what I said!  :biggrin:
I got fired from my job last week, just because I asked "Smoking or Non-smoking" apparently it should be Burial or Cremation!

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #9781 on: July 08, 2020, 08:12:03 pm »
Working from home... it comes with personal lizard protection services.

Where's Maggie's sock ???

Only in the evening, for an hour, to let the balm soak in, while she watches YouTube with Mr. Zog and he can keep her from pulling it off. The sock would not survive "daytime Maggie."

No suspenders?
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

The following users thanked this post: GAW

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #9782 on: July 09, 2020, 02:07:32 am »
No, the bouyancy is directly a result of displacement of water, not air pressure.  :sip:

Thanks Peter, I thought so, but then the gears in my head started turning again  :peepwall:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9783 on: July 09, 2020, 02:10:31 am »
So today I thought about it some more.

AS soon as I get the chance I'll take the boat out to the lake and strap the tanks on with ratchet straps. Then test it.

That way I can see what height they need to be, and how far forward or back I should mount them  :thumleft:

But that will only be by the weekend. Tomorrow morning at 5am I leave for Mount Dora, somewhere north of Orlando for two days. I'll be back very late Friday night.  :o
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #9784 on: July 09, 2020, 02:58:00 am »
Nah, fill them tanks with hydrogen or helium  :deal:  :lol8:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #9785 on: July 09, 2020, 10:39:58 am »

Then drill a small hole at the back of the tanks and light a match....and off you go  :imaposer:
Ja/Nee

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #9786 on: July 09, 2020, 02:07:21 pm »
But they are married, they both have the same surname, ZOG 

Have you never heard of renewing your vows?  ::) ::)

My marriage didnt make it that far  :imaposer:
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #9787 on: July 09, 2020, 05:18:01 pm »
But they are married, they both have the same surname, ZOG 

Have you never heard of renewing your vows?  ::) ::)

My marriage didnt make it that far  :imaposer:

I remarried one of mine, but that was a whole different story.  :o
I got fired from my job last week, just because I asked "Smoking or Non-smoking" apparently it should be Burial or Cremation!

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #9788 on: July 09, 2020, 06:05:30 pm »
I like that last picture for mounting.  The closer you get to the boat the deeper, (and more drag), you will need to place them. At your shop do you have any banding for lay flat hose? 5/8 in. or 3/4 inch stainless steel banding would be just the ticket to strap together.
As per air pressure in tanks, air has weight so keep to low side, t0 lb should be plenty to retain shape. Would  have slightly less weight and might take a bang better.

Now the important stuff: can you paint them to look like rockets or torpedoes that are ready to launch at offending big boats making too much wake. 

Bob
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9789 on: July 09, 2020, 06:36:14 pm »

Then drill a small hole at the back of the tanks and light a match....and off you go  :imaposer:

That could be Darwin award material.

Offline thabogrobler

« Reply #9790 on: July 09, 2020, 08:49:33 pm »
I think those tanks will be too heavy.

Rather get 4" pvc pipe with end caps and work from there.

Better yet, get a bigger boat!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #9791 on: July 10, 2020, 02:50:22 am »

That could be Darwin award material.

Or like we often hear on the radio: "a Florida man"  :deal:  :imaposer:

Offline Carnivore

• Longer lasting theraphy.. do longer distance travelling..
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Port Elizabeth Old(er) Guy
« Reply #9792 on: July 10, 2020, 04:00:39 am »
The idea of a thinner tube for an outrigger has merit. But have it at the end of longer poles. The righting moment (anti-capsizing torque) is far better, with less drag.
The disadvantage is that you will have to counter steer much more to overcome the drag, way out on the side. This is not an issue if you have two equally dipped tubes.

Mounting the softener vessels close alongside like Yokoham fenders will add weight, and will only work when dipped enough to resist submergence, by which time the water has already started slopping in over the gunwale.

You could move the console off centre a tad, to allow you to pass closer to the centre line...

Raise the gunwales.

Add PU foam in blind cavities onto the front and back of the boat to prevent tptal loss of capsized, or a million plastic bottles.

Old, grey, crafty...

You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. Enthusiasts are fighters. They have fortitude. They have staying qualities. Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis.
Henry Ford

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9793 on: July 13, 2020, 01:41:15 am »
I think those tanks will be too heavy.

Rather get 4" pvc pipe with end caps and work from there.

Better yet, get a bigger boat!

Believe it or not, those softener tanks are a lot lighter than schedule 40 PVC  :deal:  :thumleft:

I would LOVE to get a bigger boat, but financially that just isn't an option.

Unless I can find one for free that needs a whole lot of love  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9794 on: July 13, 2020, 01:42:36 am »
The idea of a thinner tube for an outrigger has merit. But have it at the end of longer poles. The righting moment (anti-capsizing torque) is far better, with less drag.
The disadvantage is that you will have to counter steer much more to overcome the drag, way out on the side. This is not an issue if you have two equally dipped tubes.

Mounting the softener vessels close alongside like Yokoham fenders will add weight, and will only work when dipped enough to resist submergence, by which time the water has already started slopping in over the gunwale.

You could move the console off centre a tad, to allow you to pass closer to the centre line...

Raise the gunwales.

Add PU foam in blind cavities onto the front and back of the boat to prevent tptal loss of capsized, or a million plastic bottles.

Some great points you make Meat Eater  :deal:

Watch this space  :sip:  :pot:  :lol8:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9795 on: July 13, 2020, 02:11:17 am »
So the weekend was finally upon me...

My buddy Piet had asked me to go fishing with him on Thursday night, the Red Snapper season had just opened and to avoid the crowds he wanted to do a night fishing session from his boat 12 miles offshore. His plan was that we would be launch at midnight, and be back at the launch site by 6am so I could still go work on Friday. Right... as much as it seemed enticing, there was just no way I could do that. My day-job is just too strenuous and too demanding, I'd either fuck something up on Friday, or fall asleep at the wheel and kill myself. So I had to decline.

So the next best was to join other buddy Marius on his big boat (the one with the twin 300 HP Suzuki's) on Saturday morning. Now that sounded like a plan! So I picked Piet up at his place at 5am, and but 5:25 we were at Marius's place on the Sebastian river. He has a dock with a boat lift, so launching is as simple as dropping the boat into the water and heading out. We loaded the fishing gear, the coolers with ice, and off we went at first light. We stopped at one of the spoil islands in the Indian River Lagoon where Piet and Marius threw their cast-nets for some bait. When the livewell was full of mullet and Pinfish and Greenies we headed off and entered the Atlantic ocean through the Sebastian inlet. With Snapper season just open there were a LOT of other boats with the same idea...

Heading towards the bridge where US1 crosses the Sebastian river mouth

Sunrise while leaving the spoil island with enough bait

Heading towards the bridge where the A1A crosses the inlet, about to head out to sea.

You can see the boats ahead of us...

And the boats behind us  :eek7:

We went out of the inlet without incident, the water was flat and calm, then we headed out to the first reef, about 12 nautical miles offshore.

About 10 miles out we stopped and rigged some trolling lures. I was the first to get a take, and it was a really heavy fish that didn't budge much at all...

TIGHT LINES!!!!  :biggrin:

After about 15 minutes of hard fighting, and following the fish to try and get some line back the line suddenly went slack  :xxbah:  I pulled the line in and we saw that the leader had chafed right through. It could only have been a really big shark, as the leader was about 3 meters long, and it was chafed almost all the way back  :o  :eek7:

Oh well, that's fishing.  :P

We rigged up again, and just as we hit the first reef at 12 miles the reel screamed again. The bag limit for Kingfish is 2 per angler. We filled that limit within an hour! The Kings were really big as well. Here is a pic of Piet and myself with a KIng that I caught and Piet gaffed for me.

When the quota for Kings was filled we tried for Red Snapper on the bottom on the reef. Piet was the only one to get lucky with a really nice one of about 12 pounds. I caught a couple of Ramora's, and a small Mangrove Snapper, but nothing else. Eventually around 2pm Marius saw that a big storm was building on his radar (yup, he has a radar on his boat  8) ) so we upped lines and headed back to shore. It took us just on 30 minutes to do the 12 Nautical Miles from the reef to the inlet with his big boat...

Inside the inlet the weather was calmer, and the guys who had spent the day out on the water on the sandbar were still there. Party on!

Back at Marius's house we washed the boat off, put the covers on, and cleaned the fish. Then I dropped Piet off and headed home. At home I cut the fish into portion sized fillets, and put two fillets into a zip-lock bag with some Italian Dressing to keep it fresh and tender. I'm guessing we have around 10kg's of fresh fish in the freezer now  :biggrin:

It was an awesome day, and by 9pm I was falling asleep in my chair in front of the TV, so I went to bed  :lol8:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #9796 on: July 13, 2020, 02:22:49 am »
It gets a bit of traffic out there...
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9797 on: July 13, 2020, 02:33:29 am »
Ok, so back to the Jon Boat...

I have been taking heed of all the comments and suggestions y'all have been giving me. And while drinking my first cup of coffee this morning that incredibly clever, highly intelligent, super sexy lady that is Mrs Zog, my wife, had the most awesome suggestion of all....

Instead of the softener tanks, why not use something a whole lot lighter...

Like POOL NOODLES    :o

I thought about it for a second or two... and started formulating the technical aspects required for such a venture in my head. I wasn't having too much success, so I poured a second cup of coffee, and headed to my "thinking spot", ie the local pond with a fishing rod in my hand...  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

At the pond the fish weren't biting, but the plans were getting clearer in my head. Soon I had the blueprints worked out, with all the technical drawings done in the grey matter,m so I put my thinking stick fishing rod away and headed off to Walmart and then Home Depot.

Back home I decided that if I cut the grass then, I wouldn't have to worry about it later, and it was still cooler than it would be later on, so I hauled out the mower and cut all the grass. Then I pulled the little Jon boat out from behind the workshop and got busy.

I used three pool noodles each side, the bottom one strengthened with a 1" PVC pipe inside of it, and the other two strapped to that one with duct tape. I used a 1.25" section of PVC conduit (it is a lot more UV resistant than normal PVC) as the cross-brace across the gunwales (pronounced "gunnals", the tops of the sides of the boat for you landlubbers  :peepwall:  :imaposer: )

Then I used more 1" PVC to slide inside the conduit so that the outriggers were adjustable. (the 1" PVC just fits inside the 1.25" conduit with about a 1mm gap). The PVC pipes are then clipped in place, either inboard, or fully extended, with "D" rings.

and fully extended

I guestimated the height, so I'm guessing that while at anchor, the bottoms of the two outriggers will be in the water, already doing some stabilization. As soon as I walk past the center console, the other two will enter the water, and stop there. While underway, I will pull the outriggers up close to the side of the boat, and theoretically when I am on the plane, they will be out of the water.

Beacuse the height can be changed by simply shortening the vertical sections of PVC, or extending them, I can fine-tune the height quite easily. Worst case, I just pull them out completely and push them back in upside down  :biggrin:

Worst issue now is, I am on standby next weekend, so I have to wait two weeks before I can go test it  :dousing:  :lamer:  :imaposer:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9798 on: July 13, 2020, 03:00:37 am »
And here are the other promised pics of the rest of the Jon boat...

This is the center console that I built out of 1/4 inch plywood and scraps of the 3/4 inch marine ply that I used for the transom. I covered 100% of the plywood with epoxy, so it is completely waterproof, and should last a long time.

The front, the brown tube holds my big sun umbrella, and the two white tubes are rod holders, at a slight angle so that they don't rub against the umbrella.

The starboard (right hand side) side has a plastic gear holder, and under that is the battery isolation switch key.

The rear side has a door at the bottom that is held closed with magnets, and above that is the fish-finder / GPS, and alongside that is a plastic holder for my cellphone.

Inside the lower compartment is the battery for starting the motor (it also has a pull-start), powering the trolling motor, and powering the navigation lights, the GPS, and the bilge pump. Inside there I also have a fire extinguisher, and I keep my emergency flares, emergency hole-patching putty, and the motor's tool kit inside the cabinet.

The top also lifts up, and inside there is another box that houses the switches for the GPS, bilge pump, and nav lights, as well as the fuses for them. Then the rest of that space is a "hold-all" for fishing stuff, the dry-box with the boats registration papers, sunblock and bug repellant, and a bunch of other kak.  The lid is also kept closed with magnets.

The port side has a towel rail to hang a towel on for drying hands and stuff.  8)

Here is the box that I built to fit over the original aluminium seat box, just a bit higher. I have two mounts for my seat, the one on the side is for when I am driving the boat so that I can reach the tiller handle more easily, and the center one for when I am stopped and fishing so I sit in the center of the boat and keep it on an even keel.  A rod holder on either  side of the seat, and a sunken cup-holder on the far left.

Some more random pics...

I read somewhere that epoxy resin isn't very UV resistant, and to protect it it should either have a UV stabilizer mixed into it, or be painted. Well, I didn't add a UV stabilizer when I mixed the epoxy, so I decided to paint the center console to try and make it last as long as possible. So I removed all the attachments, and after giving it a once-over with some medium-grit sandpaper I applied two coats of some brown paint that I had in the shed. It came out pretty OK I think  8)

Then it was back on with the covers, and back behind the workshop for two weeks. Oh, and I plugged the smart-charger into the battery to keep it at full charge  :ricky:

Workshop-dog keeping an eye on things  :biggrin:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9799 on: July 13, 2020, 03:12:55 am »
Sometimes I just give up....  ::)

I had an extra pool noodle that formed part of todays prototype plans....

Workshop assistant and security dog decided that as I wan't going to use this one, she would take it inside and with the help of her willing conspirator, rip it to shreds  :eek7:

Yup, killed it  :deal:  :thumleft:

and the wiling Sammy...

methodically ripping it into tiny shreds  ::)

Oh well, it didn't take that long to clean up, and it kept the savages happy for a few minutes  :imaposer:

Have a great week everybody! Thanks for reading