Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1233053 times)

BiganDaft, Old Bugger and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Tom van Brits

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #9800 on: July 13, 2020, 03:47:28 am »
Good fishing, well done on the catch!  :thumleft:

Not convinced the duct tape is the best idea to keep them noodles in tact, why not long cable ties instead?

Online BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #9801 on: July 13, 2020, 04:28:10 am »
Looks Great. I recon those pool noodles are a awesome idea.
As for port, starboard, gunwalls etc.  All know I is port is good for drinking.  :imaposer:
Your mate has a nice boat!! One day when I'm big I will need to find a friend that will take me deep sea fishing....
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them." Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #9802 on: July 13, 2020, 10:50:26 am »
Excellent work, Mr Z !   :thumleft:

Now you just have to offset the two tail-light poles on the trailer so they don't foul the outriggers when you float onto the trailer...

...or you have to remove the outriggers before you float onto the trailer.   :sip:
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #9803 on: July 14, 2020, 09:23:55 am »
Hey Mr. Z
Your out rigger plan made me think of a teenage stunt a buddy and I pulled to impress girls that may have application to your situation.

Setting the scene

As a teen, we had a place at the vaal dam. We had a zodiac with a 40 horse Yammie on the back.
There was a jetty and the about 200m from the shore was a mooring for yachts upon which would be perched a bevy of beauties.

The stunt
My buddy and I would each don a single water ski and dangle it over the pontoon.
We then get the boat up to speed and as we passed the ladies we would stand up on the ski and lift the boat right out of the water so that just the prop was in the water.

So if the Pool noodles don't work maybe and old pair of skis  :idea1:
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Offline Elkanah

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #9804 on: July 16, 2020, 02:58:46 pm »
 :thumleft: :biggrin:
Psychiatry's troubled search for the biology of mental illness.

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #9805 on: July 16, 2020, 03:06:25 pm »
MrZ are you, the wife and the dogs fine? You are very quiet? Hopefully just busy.
Sterkte!
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #9806 on: July 16, 2020, 03:37:53 pm »
 :sip:
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #9807 on: July 16, 2020, 05:04:36 pm »
Hey Mr. Z
Your out rigger plan made me think of a teenage stunt a buddy and I pulled to impress girls that may have application to your situation.

Setting the scene

As a teen, we had a place at the vaal dam. We had a zodiac with a 40 horse Yammie on the back.
There was a jetty and the about 200m from the shore was a mooring for yachts upon which would be perched a bevy of beauties.

The stunt
My buddy and I would each don a single water ski and dangle it over the pontoon.
We then get the boat up to speed and as we passed the ladies we would stand up on the ski and lift the boat right out of the water so that just the prop was in the water.

So if the Pool noodles don't work maybe and old pair of skis  :idea1:

>:D >:D >:D kak snaaks

yes the things men get up to when the blood rushes to our nether regions, our brains stop working.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #9808 on: July 17, 2020, 03:31:10 am »
MrZ are you, the wife and the dogs fine? You are very quiet? Hopefully just busy.
Sterkte!

Yup, we are all fine, like you said, very busy  :ricky:

But watch this space  :deal:  O0
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9809 on: July 17, 2020, 03:57:30 am »
Last week I spent a day in Mount Dora at the latest dialysis clinic job, but because they didn't order the special piping I needed to install I just spent the day there.

I was supposed to go back today, but guess what? Yup... the pipe still hadn't been delivered  :eek7:  So yesterday afternoon late when I heard about all this, I decided to strike while the iron was hot, so to speak... You see, my entire day was booked out for the install job which got cancelled. So I called the boss and asked to take a personal day. That's a paid day off...  :deal:  :thumleft:

Because my schedule was open, I was granted the day off...  :ricky:  So I consulted the weather app on my phone - hot with a 10% chance of afternoon showers. Then I checked the Fishangler App, it showed that the fish would be biting between 9 and 11am....  :ricky:  So I decided that I would take the Jon boat out and test the pool noodles outriggers and have a good day fishing and relaxing as well.

At home I Prepped the little boat, pulled it out from behind the workshop and parked it at the side of the house. Got my fishing gear ready. Got all excited for a days fishing....

This morning I was awake early, made coffee, sat and enjoyed the sunrise with the dogs in the Florida room. Eventually around 7am I got my arse into gear and loaded up the boat and headed out to Stick Marsh, a very large man-made lake about 25 minutes South of here. Launched the boat, and tested out the outriggers.

Eish.

Well, not a complete fail. While standing still, or fishing off the front of the boat and using the trolling motor to very gently propel myself forward, the outriggers worked VERY well. The boat was completely stable, and when I walked up and down the boat it hardly rocked at all.  :thumleft:

But while underway it was a different story. With the outriggers inboard, against the side of the boat, the flat ends of the noodles just channeled a solid stream of water into the boat  :eek7:  And even with the outriggers in their fully extended position they still splashed a large amount of water into the boat.

But I did check the working out pretty well. They need to be raised about 2 inches (50mm), and something needs to be done about the splashing into the boat from the flat surface hitting the oncoming stream of water...

I did catch a smallish Bass.

Then I heard thunder... WHAT THE FUCK???

I turned around, and there was this massive great thunderstorm heading straight for me  :xxbah:

So I hightailed it back to the launch site and got the boat back onto the trailer, and was just inside the bakkie when the first raindrops started falling. So much for the 10% chance for afternoon showers. This was 9am, and a lightning storm with big rain was hitting me. Just because I took the day off work and went fishing. Fuck me sideways  :eek7:

Driving home I started pondering the solution to the outrigger problem. And I came up with a solution  :biggrin:

I decided that I needed to raise the pontoons by about 2 inches, and I needed to solve the issue of the water splashing into the boat. The first part is dead easy.

The second part took a little more thinking. But I came to a conclusion. I would build a cover over the noodles with very thin plywood and seal the ply with fiberglass. And in the front of the noodle I would have a surface that wasn't flat into the face of the water.

By the time I got home I had the solution all mapped out. So I dropped off the boat and headed out to the Home Depot...  :pot:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9810 on: July 17, 2020, 04:12:03 am »
At the Home Depot I found very thin plywood, just 2.7mm thick  :o

So I got a sheet and sommer got them to slice it up into the sections that I needed...

Back home I got busy and built a jig that would hold the ply at precisely the correct angle while the epoxy and fiberglass dried / hardened.

The idea was to "wrap" the noodles in the plywood, and shape the front end so that it didn't splash water into the boat. Simple...

Here is a pic of the first two sides being joined together

I used duct tape to seal along the long end, and at the ands where the planks ended. I used epoxy resin mixed with colloidal silica filler to thicken it as the first join in the bottom of the join, then I used a strip of fiberglass mat about 3 inches wide to add additional strength.

Here you can see the jig I made to keep the angles perfectly at 60 degrees

When the epoxy was dry I cut away a slight angle at the back of the first pontoon, so that if I have the boat in reverse it also has less chance of splashing water into the boat

Then I marked out and cut out a triangular piece for the back of the pontoon. I attached it in the same way; silica filled epoxy, then fiberglass mat.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9811 on: July 17, 2020, 04:23:14 am »
Here is the cross-section of the piece I cut away.

As you can see, the silica-filled epoxy fills the tight angle completely, then the fiberglass mat has a much more gentle angle, and goes up either side of the plywood about 50mm each side. Then I "painted" the rest of the plywood with epoxy resin to completely seal it against any water ingress.

The outside of the join I will first rasp away until it is a much more rounded profile, then sand it smooth, before I apply woven fiberglass and epoxy.

Then I marked out the front side of the pontoon, basically a 45 degree angle, cut it away, and cut out a section that fits there perfectly. I fitted the front section in the same way, except I added a couple of extra layers of mat as extra strengthening, just in case I hit something with the pontoon one day...

And that is where I am at right now.

Hopefully this weekend I don't get called out too much, then I can spend some more time getting the pontoon covers made.

Thanks for reading, enjoy your Friday!!!  :ricky:

Offline WheelieDog

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • DL650 VStrom
« Reply #9812 on: July 17, 2020, 07:24:14 am »
ń Boer maak ń plan :biggrin:

Just a question, is it not more practical to raise the gunwales with an edge all around the boat?

It won't add stability but will prevent water ingress quite effectively and make the boat a lot safer. Underway too, when you experience waves from wind and the wakes of other boats.
For the love of it.

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #9813 on: July 17, 2020, 08:08:20 am »
Why do you not just fill your new pontoons with building isolation foam. Squirt a few cans in there. Close it up with the plywood top.

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #9814 on: July 17, 2020, 08:22:58 am »
I like! It is also going to look better than the noodles and should last.
Good solution.
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9815 on: July 17, 2020, 09:18:22 pm »
This morning I was awake early, made coffee

Let's just clarify: whenever he says he made coffee, what he means is that he pushed the "on" button on the coffee machine because I prep everything the night before to make it easy for him.  ::)

A while ago we had a conversation that went like this:

Mr. Z: Did you make coffee?
Me, heading to bed: No, sorry, I forgot. Just do it in the morning.
Mr. Z: I don't know how.
Me:  :o  ... Shuffling back to prep the coffee.

Tomorrow I'm making Baja fish tacos with the snapper Mr. Zog caught. You can find the recipe here: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012445-fish-tacos

I love fish tacos.

Have a great weekend everyone!

« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:21:06 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9816 on: July 18, 2020, 02:52:32 am »
Why do you not just fill your new pontoons with building isolation foam. Squirt a few cans in there. Close it up with the plywood top.

Building insulation foam is an "open cell" foam, so in the event that the pontoon gets a leak the foam will absorb the water like a sponge and eventually sink.

For that idea I'd have to use a "closed cell" foam, and that is expensive.  :eek7:

I already have the pool noodles (they are made of closed cell foam) and I may use some polystyrene to fill up the extra gaps inside the pontoon.  :thumleft:

I got home a bit too late this evening from work to work on the pontoons, but tomorrow morning early I'll get busy again. Unless I get called out for work  :xxbah:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9817 on: July 18, 2020, 02:55:26 am »
ń Boer maak ń plan :biggrin:

Just a question, is it not more practical to raise the gunwales with an edge all around the boat?

It won't add stability but will prevent water ingress quite effectively and make the boat a lot safer. Underway too, when you experience waves from wind and the wakes of other boats.

I guess I could, but that would be a mission and a half.

I have already raised the gunwales along the sides at the back because of water coming in when I am on the plane (kak boat design). But for that I just used some aluminium angle and fence panels... I did do a post here about that some time ago...  :thumleft:

Offline RrP

« Reply #9818 on: July 18, 2020, 08:22:16 am »
Zog polystyrene will eventually absorb moisture use empty plastic bottles seal the lids with a bit of silicone you will be amazed how much "air" you can stuff into small spaces using different sized bottles.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Offline Lars

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Oh well...
« Reply #9819 on: July 18, 2020, 08:50:22 am »
Zog polystyrene will eventually absorb moisture use empty plastic bottles seal the lids with a bit of silicone you will be amazed how much "air" you can stuff into small spaces using different sized bottles.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
Up until recently that was used on fishing boats for buoyancy bere in South Africa. SAMSA approved. But has changed now. Friend had to cut open his deck to get the bottles out and fill it with some other stuff.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk