Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1237153 times)

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #9880 on: July 31, 2020, 08:19:12 pm »
Thanks everyone for the "posture" advice. I think I'll give that balance ball thing a try when I sit at my desk. I'm sure WalMart or Target has them.

We now have Hurricane Isaias. As it is now, it will briefly become a category two and then hit us Sunday afternoon as a category 1. We will do the usual prep: bring all the pot plants in, put the shutters up, etc.

I will get the pictures soon for the cactus. It truly was spectacular. Last year it had 1 flower, this time it had 5, all about the size of a dinner plate, and they smelled heavenly! It's difficult to take pictures, the moment you shine a light (or a flash) on them, they want to close up. I guess there's a reason why it's night blooming!

@Blou Zebu Price of admission = $5 and two dog biscuits  :biggrin:

Your Hurricane seems to be livening up, State of Emergency announced?  :sip:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 08:21:59 pm by Welsh »
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9881 on: July 31, 2020, 09:06:20 pm »
but not for or against any religion, life's too short to get hung up on that.

Likewise :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9882 on: July 31, 2020, 09:07:51 pm »
Thanks everyone for the "posture" advice. I think I'll give that balance ball thing a try when I sit at my desk. I'm sure WalMart or Target has them.

We now have Hurricane Isaias. As it is now, it will briefly become a category two and then hit us Sunday afternoon as a category 1. We will do the usual prep: bring all the pot plants in, put the shutters up, etc.

I will get the pictures soon for the cactus. It truly was spectacular. Last year it had 1 flower, this time it had 5, all about the size of a dinner plate, and they smelled heavenly! It's difficult to take pictures, the moment you shine a light (or a flash) on them, they want to close up. I guess there's a reason why it's night blooming!

Not yet, or I missed it, but we are now under a hurricane watch.

The weekend forecast says "breezy."  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 09:52:06 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9883 on: July 31, 2020, 09:15:17 pm »
As promised, here the pictures of our glorious cactus. It really put on a show.

Pictures by Mr. Zog; his phone camera is a lot better than mine since I downgraded to a cheaper (read: Chinese bargain bin) phone.  :imaposer:

Again, I think what I have is Epiphyllum oxypetalum aka Queen of the Night, but I'm no expert.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 09:19:15 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #9884 on: August 01, 2020, 12:57:44 am »
The hurricane seems to be heading a little more North right now, but I still got a Federal (Govt) warning on my phone this afternoon that we are now under a "Hurricane Warning".

This is sent out generally 36 hours before the event hits, so I'm guessing that we should see some wind and rain by Sunday morning early hours. I'll put up the shutters on the porch tomorrow morning, when its cooler, and drop the other window shutters Saturday evening. Just in case.

It seems that Isaias (pronounced with 4 syllables - is aa ee us  8) )  has also pushed a heat wave ahead of it. Today at 3pm the relative temp was 106 deg Farenheit (43 deg Celcius)  :eek7:  and had only dropped to 103 by 5pm. Right now (7pm) it is still at 98 deg (37 deg C). Working outside today was instantaneous sweating. And the sweat never dries. There is a saying in these parts - swamp butt - that is when your undies ride up your ass and get stuck just below your tonsils, and you smell real bad too  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Today I had swamp butt. again.  :sip:  :imaposer:

But hey, it's weekend, and I am not on call.... so life is GOOD  :biggrin:   

Thanks be to Rum  :peepwall:  :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9885 on: August 01, 2020, 03:10:27 am »

Not yet, or I missed it, but we are now under a hurricane watch.

The weekend forecast says "breezy."  :imaposer:
Letís put the emergency down as over enthusiastic reporting.  ::)

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #9886 on: August 01, 2020, 07:54:40 am »
Ooh WOW! Beautiful flowers!

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #9887 on: August 01, 2020, 12:04:50 pm »
Indeed beautiful.  How long do they stay in bloom?  And only at night?  Jeez my wife will love this.  Can you get them in SA? 

Mrs Zog, my wife works till 2pm.  The rest of her time is just garden time. Must send you some pics.  Its now winter and a bit dull.  I can honestly say she lives for her garden. 

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9888 on: August 01, 2020, 12:22:50 pm »
Indeed beautiful.  How long do they stay in bloom?  And only at night?  Jeez my wife will love this.  Can you get them in SA? 

Mrs Zog, my wife works till 2pm.  The rest of her time is just garden time. Must send you some pics.  Its now winter and a bit dull.  I can honestly say she lives for her garden.

Understandable, with you as the other option.  :sip:

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #9889 on: August 01, 2020, 12:33:29 pm »
 :laughing4:

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #9890 on: August 01, 2020, 01:27:42 pm »
Yes, i do require regular pruning

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #9891 on: August 01, 2020, 04:06:20 pm »
Hello Gary and Alex, hope all is well in Florida.  Around 2 weeks ago I thought I was going to finally meet both of you in person, my sister had planned to move to Sarasota County to be closer to her daughter (my niece) and requested I drive the Uhaul to Florida for her.  At the last minute she changed her mind and chose to move back to da Mitten. 

Here's to hoping the storm doesn't affect you too much.  Give Maggie and Sammie a smooch for me.
Prepare yourself for four more years 😎

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9892 on: August 01, 2020, 11:38:53 pm »

They bloom for one night only, once a year. I'd imagine you could get them at a nursery in SA... Look for Epiphyllum oxypetalum, Queen of the Night, also called Night-Blooming Cereus.

I just propagated it from a broken leaf. The leaf was ripped off by someone (let's not name names, but she's black and white and canine). I propped it into a glass of water until little rootlets formed (took about 2 months), then stuck it in soil and watered, now it's growing!

Yes, do send some garden pics please!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9893 on: August 01, 2020, 11:40:05 pm »
Hello Gary and Alex, hope all is well in Florida.  Around 2 weeks ago I thought I was going to finally meet both of you in person, my sister had planned to move to Sarasota County to be closer to her daughter (my niece) and requested I drive the Uhaul to Florida for her.  At the last minute she changed her mind and chose to move back to da Mitten. 

Here's to hoping the storm doesn't affect you too much.  Give Maggie and Sammie a smooch for me.

You're always welcome at Casa Zog, James!

Will deliver smooches for you!

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9894 on: August 01, 2020, 11:41:26 pm »
Hurricane shutters are down, pot plants are in. Now we wait.  :thumleft:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9895 on: August 01, 2020, 11:46:41 pm »
Always a favorite.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:47:27 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9896 on: August 02, 2020, 03:14:57 pm »
Isaias has been downgraded to a tropical storm, but we are still expecting winds around 39-60 mph (~63-96 mph) and lots of rain. We are starting to feel it, but most of it will hit from late afternoon into the overnight hours.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #9897 on: August 02, 2020, 10:24:05 pm »

You're always welcome at Casa Zog, James!

Will deliver smooches for you!

Awesome, thanks!

For your sake, I hope Zog is over his case of Swamp Ass!
Prepare yourself for four more years 😎

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9898 on: August 03, 2020, 12:10:51 am »
It's a permanent condition from about May through September  :imaposer:

We're getting some drizzly rain on and off, punctuated by some heavier bouts, and the occasional wind gust, that's about it.

It'll get a bit more squally through midnight, but nothing to worry about... we're keeping the shutters down only because we're afraid that by keeping them up, a wind gust will catch them and rip them off the hinges.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 12:17:56 am by Mrs. Zog »

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #9899 on: August 03, 2020, 07:27:48 am »
Hope the Zogs had a good night with not too much rattling from the Isaiah blower...  :)