Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1217278 times)

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #9940 on: August 13, 2020, 06:43:32 am »
For work I had to look up the German company Dr. Oetker - I'm sure you all know it for their baking products, right? I know I have bought Dr. Oetker dessert/baking stuff in SA before.

Anyway, I came across this gem:

During World War II, the company provided pudding mixes and munitions to the German troops.

That's a rather diverse portfolio...  "Yes, I'll have the vanilla with a side of some anti-tank rounds, please." ;D ;D ;D 

Nowadays, the company is  huge and involved in everything from baking supplies to luxury hotels, distilleries, and banking.

Made me laugh. Thought I'd share.
I grew up with “Stork” margarine in the fridge at home, it was a surprise 20 years later to find out the same company also made heavy industrial equipment for power stations and refineries. :sip:
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #9941 on: August 15, 2020, 02:20:16 am »
Its FRIDAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :ricky:

Yet another tough week behind me, but this weekend I am NOT on call  :biggrin:

I got home around 6:30PM this evening, and after giving the doggies their "Daddy's home" treats, and giving Mrs Zog a kiss hello, I went outside and fired up the lawn mower and used it to pull the little Jon boat around to the side of the house. Ready for tomorrow.

This was all I had the energy for.

Tomorrow morning, after my first mug of coffee, I will take the cover off and load up some rods, and go for a test of the new pontoons. And hopefully catch a fishy or two...  :lol8:

I still haven't decided if I am going fresh water or salt water... I'll check out my FishAngler app and see where the fish may be biting.  :sip:  :lol8:

After a lekker dinner of pork chops and a vinaigrette salad I am relaxing with a rum and (caffeine free) coke or two...

Throwing the ball down the passage for Sammy, while Maggie watches from her basket on the sofa  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #9942 on: August 15, 2020, 06:21:00 pm »
Nice Mr Zog.......please let us know how the fishing went and how the pontoons performed.

Do you just catch and release - for fun - or are you ever able to catch something you can eat? - or is that deep sea fishing only?

Enjoy the restful (hopefully) weekend.
Ja/Nee

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9943 on: August 16, 2020, 02:56:07 am »
It was a good day today  :biggrin:

This morning I loaded up the little Jon boat and took it out to Lake Washington for the testing of the pontoons.

The testing went well. With the pontoons extended I could stand on the side of the boat and no water came over the gunwales (sides for you landlubbers  :biggrin: )

With the pontoons extended they splashed some water into the boat over the gunwales, but not a lot. But even on the plane they were touching the water on both sides and causing drag and loss of speed.

With the pontoons pulled in against the hull I was able to get onto the plane much easier, but with any change in direction the inside pontoon would touch the water and cause water to splash into the boat through the gaps where the pontoon attachments are. Screw this explaining, see the video below  :biggrin:  8)

After the testing I did a bit of fishing too, and managed to land this 3 lb Bass!

He was really pissed off about being caught, and gave me a good fight on the 15lb braid line I have on my Bass rod.  :thumleft:

I was only out on the water for just under 2 hours, and back home I pulled the boat into the back yard and filled those gaps where the water was coming in with some silicone sealant. Next time I take the boat out I will test it again. I also noted that the water was splashing in over the tops of the pontoons with bigger waves. I have a piece of Lexan sheet that I will cut and fit to the top of the pontoons to see if that helps.

Oh, and when I was back home I checked to see if the pontoons had any water in them.

Nope...

Bone dry! Win!!!  :ricky:

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9944 on: August 16, 2020, 03:11:04 am »
After working on the Jon boat I headed out to Home Depot for some 2x4's.

The ceiling in the garage has started falling down. The screws and nails that hold the sheetrock up have pulled through and the ceiling boards were about to fall down. This would be bad...

Because not only would I have damage to stuff inside the garage (including my XL 500 S  :eek7: ), but I would then have to buy the special 3/4 inch thick ceiling boards for garages (fire resistant stuff) and install them (putting up ceiling boards is a mega PITA), but they cost around $15 EACH, and I'd have at least 4 to replace. So I bought 5 2x4's at $4,36 each. And a box of 3.5 inch screws for $8.

Then back home I jacked up the old boards using a 2x4 and my trolley jack, then installed the 2x4's along the seams that were sagging. Now the ceiling is back where it belongs, and should stay there for many more years  :biggrin:

It was hellofa hot again today, so I was taking it slow. After a rest I had a look at the "new" mower. I used a socket and the power bar to see if the engine turned over, and it did, very easily. So that is a very good thing, even though the oil has water in it. I checked out the mower deck and that is completely FUBAR; the bearings for the blade are completely siezed up, and the deck is very badly rusted . So I pulled it off and tomorrow I'll put it on the street for the scrap guys to score.

I removed the dead battery, and the seat, and the two side panels so that I could see what else is going on. Then I gave it a bit of a cleaning with some degreaser and sprayed it off with the hose. The amount of shit that had accumulated in the engine bay over the years was staggering! But it's all clean now, and maybe tomorrow I'll start tinkering with it to see what happens...  :pot:

I finished off the day with a lekker braai. Two little steaks on the grill, Mrs Zog made a nice salad and some garlic cheese bread. Lekker!!!  :drif:

My little braai buddy was there to help me cook the meat  :lol8:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9945 on: August 16, 2020, 03:14:37 am »
My little braai buddy was there to help me cook sample the meat 

:thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9946 on: August 16, 2020, 03:16:33 am »
My little braai buddy was there to help me cook sample the meat 

:thumleft:

:peepwall:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9947 on: August 17, 2020, 02:00:30 am »
Today was Sunday. The day of rest.

Not.

I started off my day with a mug of coffee, then I poured the second mug and headed down to the pond for some fishing thinking about everything I had to do today  :peepwall:

I only fished for about 45 minutes, mainly because the fish weren't biting  :lamer:

Then home, where I fitted the doggie frame to the back of the bakkie. Then loaded the doggies into the back of the bakkie and headed off to the beach. When we arrived the beach area was completely deserted, so the dogs had a wonderful time splashing in the water and Sammy tried to chase some birdies, and Maggie rolled in a dead fish carcass.  :imaposer:

Then home again.

Back home I fired up the weed eater and did a whole lot of edge trimming. Lots of wild growth on the outside of the fence that needed trimming. Then the mower got called into service and the grass got a manicure. Back yard, front yard, both outside sides, as well as outside the back fence against the drainage ditch. I cut the sidewalk along both the vacant lots at each side of the house, as well as along the edge of the drainage ditch at the back of the two vacant lots, I think this helps to keep critters like snakes etc. away. 

This pic from Google Earth is from before we moved in... but you get the idea.  :lol8:

The following users thanked this post: halfjob

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9948 on: August 17, 2020, 02:40:57 am »
After the mowing was done it was time for a shower.

A cold shower. The time was 12h30, and already the temps were above 40 deg C  :eek7:  I was a stinky sweaty dripping mess...

The shower was good, then time to call the family back in SA. It was my mom's birthday on Friday, so she had lots of news to tell me about all the family that phones her and sent her presents. Then I called my son, he was visiting his other granny for the first time in months, so didn't feel like talking to me that much. But all good.  :thumleft:  I got to see his face at least.

Then I headed off to Home Depot for some potting soil for Mrs Zog, and some carb cleaner spray for me. And I stopped off at the pharmacy for some rehydration sachets as mine were almost finished.

Back home I pushed the little Craftsman mower into the workshop for a first look...

Ok, so lets get something straight. Ever since I first pushed this mower into the yard almost two weeks ago Maggie has been stuck on it. If she isn't on top of it, she is poking her nose under it or into the deepest internal workings of it. She is obsessed with it.

So from now on it will be referred to as the "Maggie Mower". Ok? Good. Now moving along....  :peepwall:

Remember I said that the engine did turn over? Well, I had a good look at the mower deck, and it is toast. All the bearings are siezed up, and the rust has completely destroyed the steel frame.

So first of all I figured out how to get the deck off, and pulled it out. That made it a lot lighter to push around. Spending a few hundred US$ on a new deck and new bearings and new pulleys and new blade etc. when I would MAYBE be able to sell it for $300 if it was running perfectly just doesn't make sense. So if I get it running I'll keep it as a yard tractor for pushing the Jon boat around, and just having fun on. Maybe I will try see if I can get some extra speed out of it... and use it to drive to the pond  :peepwall:  :pot:  :imaposer:

So working on this mower is just for fun. For the challenge of seeing if I can get it running again. Just for fun.  :thumleft:

I started off by pulling off the air filter housing. It was full of water from years of being in the rain. Then I saw the intake of the carb and I knew that this was going to be a massive challenge...  :eek7:

I took a pic of how the throttle and choke linkages attach so that I can refer back when / if I actually reassemble it

I had to remove the exhaust box to get to the back bolt to remove the carb.

Because my eyes are getting bad I had to take a pic of the bolt head of the intake manifold so I could see if it was a Torx bit or an Allen head  :peepwall:

Removing the intake manifold I found that it was full of water. Then I looked into the intake in the cylinder head...  :eek7:

Yup... that is water too  :o

Then I got really confused. This is a 4-stroke engine, but it has no tappet cover. So where do you adjust the valve clearances?

I saw a cover at the side where the engine breather comes out, so I pulled that off. Yup, it was also full of water  :xxbah:

But this is a 4-stroke, so where are the valves? I took a pic inside both the intake, and exhaust openings in the head, and i could see the valve stems...

So I looked a bit more and I saw that the baffle plate for the engine breather could come out. And.... VOILA! There are the valve springs  :biggrin:

And yes, that is most definitely water mixed well with oil inside  :patch:

I finally figured out how to get the fuel tank off, and pulled that away. The starter motor is under the fuel tank, and just manipulating it by hand I could feel that it was still turning, and the bendix was also free.

Then I decided to drain the oil.

Eish.

The video below says it all.

And some more....

By now it was getting late, and supper was almost ready, so I sprayed a whole lot of WD40 into the cylinder head through the spark plug hole, into both the intake and exhaust ports, into the engine itself, everywhere. Just to start the healing process.

And Maggie was right there. Checking stuff out, giving me advice, telling me that I could do it... she really wants to ride on this one she says  :lol8:  :ricky:

So that is where I left it. Soaking up some WD40, and pissing all over my workshop floor...

Have a great week guys. Enjoy buying booze and legal smokes again.  :thumleft: 

Thanks for reading  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: halfjob

Offline Wayne

« Reply #9949 on: August 17, 2020, 07:07:45 am »
I do admire your patience. I would of turfed that mower.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #9950 on: August 17, 2020, 07:12:40 am »
Wow a WATER COOLED breek en staan motor :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline immigrant

« Reply #9951 on: August 17, 2020, 07:39:21 am »
Half a can of Sea Foam and it will be mowing lawns for another 15 years.....  :pot:
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
« Reply #9952 on: August 17, 2020, 09:20:45 am »
If a couldn't care less owner leaves it out in all weathers you can understand the water and corrosion, But what the hell is all that black shit in the carb. inlet?  :eek7:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

"They" say I confuse wanting to stay young with wanting things to stay as they were when I was young.

Offline Bikerboer1973

• Groot Suzuki aanhanger maar eindig altyd op met 'n Honda!
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Darem al weer 'n Honda XL185 plaas fiets.
« Reply #9953 on: August 17, 2020, 04:42:54 pm »
Half a can of Sea Foam and it will be mowing lawns for another 15 years.....  :pot:

???
Tans.
Honda Xl185 plaas fiets
DT 175
Vrou se NC700.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9954 on: August 17, 2020, 05:50:46 pm »

???

Sea Foam is a US product, it preserves fuel and fuel systems particularly in the north where you only ride stuff for a few months a year.  :sip:

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #9955 on: August 17, 2020, 07:03:10 pm »

???

Sea Foam is a US product, it preserves fuel and fuel systems particularly in the north where you only ride stuff for a few months a year.  :sip:

Was you clever, or did you ask of Uncle Google what was Sea Foam ?

Very clever, I learned a story too today, thanks Welsh.

Gary, I get your patience, sometimes it just gives you time to figure other things out, but this is always a learning experience, even if you ltimately need to toss it out.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #9956 on: August 17, 2020, 07:11:30 pm »

???

Was you clever, or did you ask of Uncle Google what was Sea Foam ?

Very clever, I learned a story too today, thanks Welsh.

Gary, I get your patience, sometimes it just gives you time to figure other things out, but this is always a learning experience, even if you ltimately need to toss it out.

Nah, not Google, I have been on the Adventure Rider forum as well for 10 years and it pops up regularly, had never heard of it, but they swear by it.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 07:12:58 pm by Welsh »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9957 on: August 18, 2020, 02:02:53 am »
I do admire your patience. I would of turfed that mower.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I get great pleasure when I get something this FUBAR and I can make it work again.  :thumleft:

And if it doesn't work again, at least I have learned something  :ricky:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9958 on: August 18, 2020, 02:04:30 am »
If a couldn't care less owner leaves it out in all weathers you can understand the water and corrosion, But what the hell is all that black shit in the carb. inlet?  :eek7:

I dunno yet but I will find out.

I'm guessing it's a delicious succulent stew of organic plant matter, oil, water, and a few mozzies for flavour  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9959 on: August 18, 2020, 02:07:10 am »
Wow a WATER COOLED breek en staan motor :laughing4:

Nie n Breek en Staan nie... dis n Tecumeseh, of so iets. Hier in die VSA gebou, so parte sal volop wees, en seker redelik goedkoop ook. Soos die carb vir die generator waarmee ek besig is. Splinternuwe carb, vir $8.89 afgelewer!

Wag vir hom, pos is stadig met die virus  :xxbah: