Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1237163 times)

Mr Zog and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Mrs. Zog

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #9980 on: August 22, 2020, 06:21:33 pm »
Well, this should get interesting... luckily we're not involved.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #9981 on: August 23, 2020, 08:19:44 am »
Zogs, let me be the first one to congratulate you on your thread reaching 500 pages.  Not many do.  Thanks for sharing your experience with us and just staying ‘connected’.  I for one enjoy your posts and journey immensely and think the world of you two.  Thanks for being part of wild dogs - we love you guys :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Would I?, Oubones, Mrs. Zog

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #9982 on: August 23, 2020, 09:41:40 am »
Eish, long path and many experiences shared so far!
Thanks for the effort and we appreciate it. :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #9983 on: August 23, 2020, 11:06:19 am »
I am addicted to this thread
Mr. Z can klap so much in a day, it's serious inspiration.
I bought an old (1966) lawn mower off Gumtree for R400 the other day.
Got a lekker kick out of getting it to run for about a minute  8)
Think I'll get out of bed now
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #9984 on: August 23, 2020, 11:13:24 am »
Well, this should get interesting... luckily we're not involved.

Goodness! We get our fair share of cyclones on the island but this looks "exciting"

Tell me, has Trumped been blamed for this yet?  :pot:
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #9985 on: August 24, 2020, 02:19:59 am »
Zogs, let me be the first one to congratulate you on your thread reaching 500 pages.  Not many do.  Thanks for sharing your experience with us and just staying ‘connected’.  I for one enjoy your posts and journey immensely and think the world of you two.  Thanks for being part of wild dogs - we love you guys :thumleft:

Thanks Hein, truly appreciated  :thumleft:

In some small way, this thread helps keep me "connected" to my roots in Africa. It sort of helps me get through the day and inspires me to do stuff and tell my Wild Dog "family" all about it.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Sardine

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9986 on: August 24, 2020, 02:39:55 am »
This is how we shave the dog... Maggie is okay with the process, she knows she'll feel cooler when all the "wool" is off and sits patiently. Also, she can watch the squirrels while Mr. Zog gives her a trim.

I'm currently re-reading all of the Tony Park books, they are (again) un-put-downable  :biggrin:

I love books, I cannot live without books. I very rarely buy new books, I find them at the library sale and thrift shops. I will order a new one only if I can't find what I'm looking for used.

I read like a maniac, and across all genres and subjects, so I think I'll start documenting my reading journey here as I go. Maybe you find something you're interested in reading too. If not, just ignore it, but I'll have a nice record of my "progress."

So far, since January 1, 2020, this is what I've read:

The Saudis - Sandra Mackey (non-fiction)
The Library Book - Susan Orlean (non-fiction)
Amy and Isabelle - Elizabeth Stroud
Interpreter of Maladies - Jhumpa Lahiri
The Folded Earth - Anuradha Roy
A Stranger in the House - Shari Lapena
The Namesake - Jhumpa Lahiri
Sacred Hearts - Sarah Dunant
Mirrors - Eduardo Galeano (non-fiction)
The Woman in Cabin 10 - Ruth Ware
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot (non-fiction)
The Power of One - Bryce Courtenay
Far Horizon - Tony Park
Zambezi - Tony Park
African Sky - Tony Park
Safari - Tony Park
Silent Predator - Tony Park
Ivory - Tony Park
The Delta - Tony Park
African Dawn - Tony Park

Finished today:

Dark Heart - Tony Park

:thumleft:

I may have a slight reading (addiction) problem...  ::)

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9987 on: August 24, 2020, 03:11:25 am »
Yes, she loves books.  :sip:

She'll lie on the sofa under the AC unit reading while I mow the lawn and do the weed eating and sweat like a demon...  :peepwall:  :pot:  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9988 on: August 24, 2020, 03:24:57 am »
Last week I finished off an install at a very expensive new home on the beachfront.

I'm guessing the house must be valued at between 5 and 10 million US$ when completed  :eek7:  Amazing ocean views from every single bedroom (5 of them) and each bedroom has its own bathroom en suite... with a beautiful pool out front and two separate garages, the one will be getting a 4-post car lift to store some fancy expensive exotic car at some stage. Two kitchens, outside grill area, the whole nine yards...

The water system needs to supply at least 15 gallons of water per minute (60 liters), 24 hours a day (if required).So we designed the system with two separate purification systems, each capable of 15 gals per minute, so when the one is regenerating the other can still supply the home. The electronically controlled "heads" all talk to each other so that they never go into regeneration at the same time, a super fancy and involved system. The install also needed to be kept within a very limited area of the single garage (the one that will be getting the lift) so we had to do a shelf above to hold the pump, the pressure tank, and some of the other components. It was a very tight install, and with all the work outside (drain, well plumbing, trenching, digging, etc.) the install took me 3 full days of labour. All that is left now is for the boss to return this week with the special-order wiring kits to connect all the electronics together together and program them all.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9989 on: August 24, 2020, 03:38:40 am »
Saturday morning I went down to Turkey Creek and threw a lure off the dock while the sun came up.

I didn't get a bite, from a fish. But the no-see-um's were definitely biting my lower legs.  :xxbah:

Back home I put the new carb onto the genny I was fixing, new fuel lines, new fuel filter, cleaned out the fuel tank. The fuel tank sprang a leak at the rubber grommet where the fuel tap goes in, so I managed to get a new one at the local lawn mower dealer shop. I got it all together, and fired it up. During testing I noticed that the voltage from the genny was way too high, so a bunch of adjustment on the governor and I eventually had it just perfect when under load.

Then I loaded the genny onto the back of my bakkie and went and dropped it off at the older lady who it belonged to. I was into the job for around $30 in parts, so I charged her $60 for the job. Just a $30 profit, but I didn't do the job for profit, I did it because she is a school teacher and doesn't earn a whole lot, and she needs a genny when the power goes out during hurricanes. I also did it because I really enjoy taking something that is FUBAR and making it work again. That gives me great pleasure.  :biggrin:  The lady was really very happy.

Back home I got back into Maggie's mower.

Eish. I decided to connect my jump-starter pack and just see if the starter would turn the engine.

Well... nothing.  :xxbah:

So I removed the starter motor and took a look inside.

Eish  :eek7:

FUBAR.

The starter had filled with water over the years and had rusted up solid.

I decided to give it a try with some PB Blaster. This is a spray can of stuff that is really super good at  loosening up rusted stuff. I gave it a whole can of the stuff. Left it to soak in a tin overnight...

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9990 on: August 24, 2020, 03:51:25 am »
This morning (Sunday) I took a drive down to a local pond for a quick fish.

Again, no fish were biting, but the fire ants sure were  :xxbah:  I got nailed on my feet by the bastards  :xxbah:

Back home I checked out the starter motor again. It was still completely locked up, and showed no signs of ever coming loose again.

So I tried Ebay  8)

I did manage to find a used starter on Ebay of $9.99, plus $15 postage. I also found a brand new one for $35 including postage.

I was just about to hit the "Buy Now" button when I stopped and thought about it for a minute...

So $35 for the starter, lets say another $10 for a carb (IF I get really lucky again) and $45 for a battery. That will be almost $100 just to soo if it will start again. Then what about 4 new tyres? Add another $100 easy. And then? The engine was full of water, so IF it actually starts again, what is to say that the bearings aren't toast and after 10 minutes of running it throws a conrod through the block?

I decided that it just wasn't worth the effort. And definitely not worth the money that I certainly don't have right now. So I decided to let it go. I put all the parts back onto the mower and pulled it out onto the street where a scrap guy can get it. I'm sure that another one will come around some time that will just need some love to get running again, not a whole lot of cash.

Then my workshop was empty again...  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9991 on: August 24, 2020, 04:04:08 am »
I know when the conversation starts "devils advocate, just an idea"...  :sip:

I know already that SHE wants me to make / do / fix / build something....  :peepwall:

So this afternoon I was chilling inside in the lovely cool Aircon when the conversation started just like that...  :deal:

Short story, Mrs Zog wants a bookshelf above a cabinet in the lounge. The cabinet in question is the ONLY piece of furniture that we brought along with us from SA. My step-father made it many years ago, and Mrs Zog loves it. Now she wants a book shelf above it for all the "African" books (Tony Park, Deon Meyer, Wilbur Smith, etc.)

So I went and got my tape measure out, and measured up the space, and drew a rough design on some paper that was approved by Mrs Zog. Then we got in the bakkie and went off to Home Depot where I bought some pine planks and some wood stain / varnish that would match the cabinet.

Back home I cut the planks to length, and using a piece of scrap plywood as a backing I made a bookshelf.

It is 90% assembled, I just need to add a couple of extra bits to support the screws that will attach it to the wall. Then I need to give it a good sanding, paint on the stain / varnish, and hang it on the wall.

I don't have any pics yet, I'll get some when I work on it again. I had left my cell phone inside because the cover had broken and I didn't want to get it covered in sawdust and glue and shit. I have ordered a new cover on Ebay, it will be here by the end of the week. The phone is already 3 years old and I can't afford a new one, so I am taking precautions  :peepwall:  :pot:  :imaposer:

Now I'm sitting relaxing with a stiff rum & coke, before heading off to bed  :drif:

Thanks for reading y'all. Have a fantastic week. We may have up to 3 rocket launches this week, a new record! Fingers crossed  :thumleft:

Offline Bergie

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • WD# 3825
    • Hydra
« Reply #9992 on: August 24, 2020, 08:01:06 am »
Judging by the amount of water in Maggies Mower, do you think she could have been a submarine at some stage?
I know your area gets rain by the meter, but jinne that thing is soaked!
Blessed are the Cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Offline RobbieJZW

« Reply #9993 on: August 24, 2020, 02:22:07 pm »
When you left SA Mr & Mrs Zog I got a whole bunch of books from you - that was me getting into Tony Park! Such a worthwhile read, for sure. Glad you are still enjoying them!

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9994 on: August 24, 2020, 05:01:25 pm »
Maggie and Sammy had a scuffle the other day and he bit her on the ear, so she's getting an antibiotic ointment rubbed on twice a day. So that means Maggie gets special attention.

And wouldn't you know it, last night Sammy decided he also has a sore ear. He kept rubbing it with his paw and shaking his head, and the ear was flipped down for effect. We couldn't see anything wrong with his ear whatsoever. But he got some ointment on it. So he got attention, and he was happy.

That's why we also call him "Mr. Me Too."

I swear, it's like having two four-year-old kids, temper tantrums and all. ::)

P.S. When they were younger, they had really bad fights. A few times I had to douse them with water to get them apart - I'd run and get their big water bowl and drench them. Twice it was so bad Maggie needed stitches. It's rare now, but it still happens once in a while, mostly because she bullies him and eventually he snaps. Which is understandable, if you ever see Maggie in "schoolyard bully mode."  ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 05:10:57 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9995 on: August 24, 2020, 07:37:27 pm »

She'll lie on the sofa under the AC unit reading while I mow the lawn and do the weed eating and sweat like a demon...  :peepwall:  :pot:  :imaposer:

Yes, in between doing loads of stinky sweaty laundry, "massaging" the dishes (see earlier post), dinner prep and dinner cooking, grocery shopping, cleaning, feeding the dogs, doing the budget and banking, etc. etc.  :sip:

I also work almost every weekend (my actual work, the work I get paid for).

Just setting the record straight here.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 07:37:59 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #9996 on: August 24, 2020, 07:39:23 pm »

Yes, in between doing loads of stinky sweaty laundry, "massaging" the dishes (see earlier post), dinner prep and dinner cooking, grocery shopping, cleaning, feeding the dogs, doing the budget and banking, etc. etc.  :sip:

I also work almost every weekend (my actual work, the work I get paid for).

Just setting the record straight here.

being married, I knew when not to comment here.  :sip:
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Online Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9997 on: August 24, 2020, 08:02:07 pm »
Eh, it's not a pissing contest. We both work hard in different ways.

Offline Lars

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Oh well...
« Reply #9998 on: August 24, 2020, 08:26:09 pm »
Maggie and Sammy had a scuffle the other day and he bit her on the ear, so she's getting an antibiotic ointment rubbed on twice a day. So that means Maggie gets special attention.

And wouldn't you know it, last night Sammy decided he also has a sore ear. He kept rubbing it with his paw and shaking his head, and the ear was flipped down for effect. We couldn't see anything wrong with his ear whatsoever. But he got some ointment on it. So he got attention, and he was happy.

That's why we also call him "Mr. Me Too."

I swear, it's like having two four-year-old kids, temper tantrums and all. ::)

P.S. When they were younger, they had really bad fights. A few times I had to douse them with water to get them apart - I'd run and get their big water bowl and drench them. Twice it was so bad Maggie needed stitches. It's rare now, but it still happens once in a while, mostly because she bullies him and eventually he snaps. Which is understandable, if you ever see Maggie in "schoolyard bully mode."  ;D
Our cats hate each other. No that is the wrong word. The younger one loves to jump on the older one and scares him shitless. Now the older one moved in with our tennant. Like to siblings who really don't want to get along.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9999 on: August 25, 2020, 02:52:09 am »
When I got home from work today I sanded off the bookshelf I made yesterday.

Next time I get home with daylight left I will stain and varnish it, then it can be hung.