Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 310293 times)

catman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline LionBuell

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
    • View Profile
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #2900 on: January 12, 2017, 02:40:27 am »
Like the tutorial!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: January 12, 2017, 02:43:55 am »
The next step is to cover the edges with a fibre-tape to prevent cracking later when the mud dries.

The "mud" is actually white, and it's like poly-filla. We use it from a 5 gallon bucket, we use a lot of it. You also get it in dry powder form, mix with water and use, but like this is the easiest. Open the bucket, use what you need, close the bucket. Bucket lasts for weeks when sealed.

I didn't get a pic of the mud covering the patch unfortunately. I got called to go sort out a water issue at a house, so was in a hurry and fprgot. I'll try remember tomorrow. I use a 10-inch wide "spatula" to apply the mud. It's nice and wide so that I can cover a big area fast, and I get a nice even smooth finish. Makes sanding easier.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: January 12, 2017, 02:47:37 am »
The fiber tape comes on a roll of about 300 feet, about 100 meters. And it is slightly sticky on one side. So it self-adheres to the wall until you apply the mud.

The mud takes about 24 hours to dry, depending on the humidity. I often put a fan on it to help it dry faster. Some times it will take up to a week for the mud to dry properly so it can be sanded and painted.  :eek7:

Like the tutorial!

Thanks!

See, it's quite easy. Even this redneck can do it  :peepwall: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline LionBuell

• View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: January 12, 2017, 02:58:59 am »
Is there lots of handyman type jobs out there?

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: January 12, 2017, 03:25:16 am »
Is there lots of handyman type jobs out there?

There is a lot of handyman type work out there.

But people want a company that has insurance (so they can sue if anything goes wrong) and a license. You have to be licensed as a handyman. Takes 5 years of working as a handyman UNDER another company/handyman to qualify to write the test and become licensed.

So I still have just over 4 years of "VASBYT"  under Da Boss before I can go write my tests and get myself licensed...

Offline LionBuell

• View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: January 12, 2017, 03:31:40 am »
Ok interesting. So basically a trade qualification. Not to pry to much but, you can make a living on the salary that you get as an "apprentice " ?

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: January 12, 2017, 03:53:55 am »
Ok interesting. So basically a trade qualification. Not to pry to much but, you can make a living on the salary that you get as an "apprentice " ?

Short answer is yes.

IF...

If you are young and single and living with your parents and thus saving a lot on cost of living etc.

But not when you are in my situation. I need to work around 50 hours each week, just to break even. Because I have rent and stuff, and an ex-wife and a kid, and life...

Eish.

But it's ok. I'll vasbyt and do my time, and then if I am still able to work I'll start my own company and hopefully make some decent cash.  :thumleft:

Offline LionBuell

• View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: January 12, 2017, 04:17:34 am »
Thanks for the reply. Good luck to you sir?

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: January 12, 2017, 07:29:07 am »
 :patch:
Everything there seems based on boards and planks of standard sizes, low labour input and lots of nailing stuff together.
DIY heaven...?
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: January 12, 2017, 08:05:06 am »
You need one of these

Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline LionBuell

• View Profile
« Reply #2910 on: January 12, 2017, 08:07:04 am »
Verry clever.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: January 12, 2017, 08:58:51 am »
The fiber tape comes on a roll of about 300 feet, about 100 meters. And it is slightly sticky on one side. So it self-adheres to the wall until you apply the mud.

I didn't get a pic of the mud covering the patch unfortunately. I got called to go sort out a water issue at a house, so was in a hurry and fprgot. I'll try remember tomorrow. I use a 10-inch wide "spatula" to apply the mud. It's nice and wide so that I can cover a big area fast, and I get a nice even smooth finish. Makes sanding easier.

Always wondered: The tape goes direct onto the old surface to it must 'stick out' very slightly. Then you apply the mud and must end up with a slight bulge on the wall. Now you sand it all down. Do you sand up to the tape level on the old wall level or sand the tape away or just live with the slight bulge?

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: January 12, 2017, 09:00:09 am »
You need one of these

And one of these (Which you probably already have)

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:00:50 am by Sláinte Mhaith »

Offline silvrav

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: January 12, 2017, 09:16:16 am »
Zog, that hole seems small enough to fibre tape and repair without cutting out a section?  :peepwall:

Offline TeeJay

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: January 12, 2017, 09:50:13 am »

Always wondered: The tape goes direct onto the old surface to it must 'stick out' very slightly. Then you apply the mud and must end up with a slight bulge on the wall. Now you sand it all down. Do you sand up to the tape level on the old wall level or sand the tape away or just live with the slight bulge?

Good question - I was wondering exactly the same thing. Would like to hear Mr Zog's reply.
Eat life!

Offline TeeJay

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: January 12, 2017, 09:50:43 am »
Zog, that hole seems small enough to fibre tape and repair without cutting out a section?  :peepwall:

Was also thinking that.
Eat life!

Offline Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: January 12, 2017, 11:30:50 am »
I think you skim a larger area then work it away over the distance.
then the taper is less obvious.

[size=7.5pt]Tier 3 member[/size]  :mwink:
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

"Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.  Avoiding danger in the long run is no safer that outright exposure.  Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing.

Offline OomD

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
    • CANSwitch
« Reply #2917 on: January 12, 2017, 12:36:29 pm »
I would guess that, because the new board is already affixed to the stud behind, the tape is just to hold the polyfilla until it's dry. Thereafter it can be sanded right down mos. The polyfilla doesn't hold the board in place.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:37:23 pm by OomD »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: January 13, 2017, 02:48:37 am »
You need one of these

Jirre boet, just make it adjustable, and I'm IN!   :peepwall: :imaposer:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: January 13, 2017, 02:52:01 am »

Yes.

The tape is less than a millimeter thick. You mud an area much bigger than the patch. Say about a foot square for the repair that I showed. Then you sand it down JUST until the first signs of the tape show.

This means that the raised area is only around 1mm thick, and about a foot square. Once it has been textured, and painted, you never even know it was there.