Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 239039 times)

Offline bud500

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #3300 on: March 17, 2017, 10:43:31 am »
Happy Anniversary!  :thumleft:
May the bridges I burn light the way...

Offline Dwerg

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #3301 on: March 17, 2017, 12:10:11 pm »
If I wake up at night and there is someone in my garden I can blow him

Ahhhhh the land of the free
Wise Web Worx

Honda: CRF230 x 2, CRF450X, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail; BMW: F800GS, F650GS, R50/2; KTM: 250XCW, 690R RS, 640ADV, 950ADV; Yamaha: BWS x 2

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: March 17, 2017, 12:42:32 pm »

Ahhhhh the land of the free

Maybe not so free. Sometimes you have to pay for that.
2004 Kawa KLR 650
2001 Kawa KX250
2006 Pajero 3.2 D GLS LWB
Maybe I have the perfect Man Cave !

Offline Whethefakawe

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: March 18, 2017, 01:52:07 am »

Hmmmm.....maybe quote the complete sentence?  :lol8:
You been using dogsh*t for toothpaste, Mullet?

Offline 1190

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: March 18, 2017, 06:30:49 am »

Hmmmm.....maybe quote the complete sentence?  :lol8:
:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Smith & Wesson the original point and click interface

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: March 18, 2017, 07:55:51 am »
Happy Anniversary!

What Ido  find odd with Americans is that they think Africa is one country.
Refer to a thread where a guy thinks he can buy a bike in Tanzania
then ride it through Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia and then sell it in South Africa weeks later...?

LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline steveindar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Eish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: March 18, 2017, 09:24:45 am »
Happy Anniversary!

What Ido  find odd with Americans is that they think Africa is one country.
Refer to a thread where a guy thinks he can buy a bike in Tanzania
then ride it through Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia and then sell it in South Africa weeks later...?

We all agree the yanks are a little geography challenged, but the above is quite doable with effort, but I know what you mean.
#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: March 18, 2017, 05:21:52 pm »
a celebration is in order,happy one year Mr Zog
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: March 21, 2017, 03:16:32 am »
a celebration is in order,happy one year Mr Zog

Thanks landieman. We did have a small celebration...  :thumleft:

See post below...  :deal:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: March 21, 2017, 03:44:21 am »
It was her idea.

Mrs Zog decided that we needed a get-away to celebrate our 1-year anniversary living in Florida.

She happened to note that there was an exibition of the artworks of the famous female Mexican artist Frida Kahlo at the Dali Museum in St Petersburg... she loves museums, and she loves good art. So she booked a room at a small B&B down the road from St Petes in a place called Pass-de-Grille.

We booked the hounds into the doggie motel, and dropped them off on Saturday morning, then we hit the road to the West coast of Florida, just South of Tampa Bay. Basically directly West of us, about 3 hours drive.

We went directly to the Dali Museum, and because Mrs Zog had already pre-booked the tickets online (she got a discount doing it that way) we by-passed the queue at the door. The Dali museum is a pretty large structure, and has several areas for art displays. We started off with the Frida Kahlo exibition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frida_Kahlo

The art was beautiful, and to an extent somewhat disturbing. Frida was quite a woman...

Then we went into the Dali section. I was blown away by the diversity and the brilliance of the man. From the tiny paintings with almost microscopic detail, to massive pieces that only become apparent from a distance. Awesome...

The experience was somewhat spoiled because the museum was extremely busy. Also because of many noisy children running around. Personally I don't think that either the works of Dali or Kahlo are suitable for young children. Some of the subjects are of an adult nature, and some are quite disturbing. Viewing them in a more quiet and sombre atmosphere would have been more fitting I believe. Anyways... not the end of the world.

Then we went off to the B&B and booked in. Then a quick change into beach wear, walked across the street and onto the beach. I was hoping to have a swim in the Gulf, but the water was freezing! Only 18 degrees... so I lay in the sand for a bit instead, enjoying the sun and the views of the hot young bodies in their bikini's  :biggrin:  We went for a nice long walk up the beach too, awersome fine white sand and lots of pretty sea shells...

We had a lovely supper at a local restaurant overlooking the river, then walked back to the B&B. A quiet evening in, early to sleep. Getting old methinks...

Sunday morning we went for another walk, but cut it short because a cold front was moving across and the wind was howling and clouds coming over and the temp was quite chilly. We packed up and checked out, and took a scenic route back home, including a drive over the Sunshine Skyway, a massive bridge spanning the Bay at Tampa. Just a pic taken from the car below.. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Skyway_Bridge

We arrived home around 1pm, and went to collect the furry kids from their Motel at 3. They were both very happy to see us again, as we were to see them again  ;D

Overall, a lovely, and much-needed brief getaway.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: March 21, 2017, 03:48:44 am »
Driving to St Pete's we stopped at a place called "Yehaw Junction". It is basically a crossroads with a gas station and a flea-pit motel. We used the bathroom in the gas station.

Outside I saw a public phone, the first I have seen in Florida I believe. It costs 10 cents for a call anywhere in the USA up to 5 minutes. Cheap....

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: March 21, 2017, 03:57:42 am »
The bearings that I had ordered for the drill press arrived on Friday, and I finished putting it all back together on Sunday afternoon after we got back.

I was going to document the restoration, but last week was a bit kak.

The anti-biotics I was taking for the finger injury really kicked my arse. Today is the first day that I have not taken them since I finished them yesterday. I cannot believe how much better I suddenly feel... last time I felt this kak was when I had to take a course of anti-retrovirals for a month following a blood-splatter I got in my eye from a HIV-positive patient... (no, I didn't get HIV myself, thank fuck!!)

So I just spent a couple of minutes each evening cleaning, sanding, and painting the various bits. Then yesterday evening I reassembled the spindle head, put new electrical wires on, and put it all together. I am happy to report that it works perfectly. Smooth as butter. And it now looks good too. I am happy  :biggrin:
I just need to make a section for the belt-guard that was missing....

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: March 21, 2017, 04:04:36 am »
Looks like a Dinky-Toy...  :o

I was driving today when I passed these two cars parked at the Tax-Collectors office. I actually turned around, and went back so I could get a pic for you guys  :biggrin:

The Wheels are around 28 inches, maybe more. The ground clearance is at least a foot, maybe even 35 centimeters...

But the clearance in the wheel-arches is fukken ZERO! The wheels almost touch the front and back of the wheel-arch, and I think that the suspension must be set rock-hard, or under compression the tyres will rip the arches apart  :eek7:

The tyre profiles ar fuckall too, maybe just two layers of insulation tape...  :o

But in some strange way they look almost kinda sorta cool  O0  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: March 21, 2017, 05:55:21 am »
the drill press looks great Mr Z,amazing what is just chucked out in the US of A,with a little South African ingenuity it's good as new.just keep your hands out of the way  :deal:
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline katana

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: March 21, 2017, 06:02:49 am »
I recon if you only pick up lucks like that, fix up and sell, you could maKe some money.
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3315 on: March 21, 2017, 09:40:52 am »
Good job on the drill press Gary.

I have one that needs attention, as it is about 50 years old, but trips the power when you turn it on.

Problem is, I am not a sparky......

I have to start a new thread in the Jou Ma section as a British colleague wants to come to SA, Namibia or Botswana next year for a safari and I said I would see what the guys say, what advice and hopefully some contact details for operators.

Funny, when I lived in SA doing a safari was never a priority, but here in the U.K. And also when I go to America, I do more traveling than in SA. Though I traveled a helluva lot there, it was never organised.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: March 21, 2017, 10:27:10 am »
I was very interested in the Frida Kahlo art.  I am not well informed so she was new to me.  Say thanks to your vrou for bringing her to my attention.  I have seen her more famous husband's wonderful murals.

The drill press looks bakgat - a proper sturdy cast iron drill press.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:09:31 pm by tok-tokkie »

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: March 21, 2017, 10:34:42 am »
Zog, I was in Tampa Bay in the mid 1990's I cannot believe I don't remember that bridge.  ::) :biggrin:
Posted on ADV: They were looking after it as far as jetting goes as its not an cheap engine to rebuild. Its called a Paris Hilton tune, Rich and Retarded.

Offline Tom van Brits

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: March 21, 2017, 10:10:25 pm »
That drill press sure looks the business and I am glad you both got a short break to celebrate the year in the States!!
 :thumleft:

Offline silvrav

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: March 22, 2017, 08:22:27 am »
Looks like a Dinky-Toy...  :o

I was driving today when I passed these two cars parked at the Tax-Collectors office. I actually turned around, and went back so I could get a pic for you guys  :biggrin:

The Wheels are around 28 inches, maybe more. The ground clearance is at least a foot, maybe even 35 centimeters...

But the clearance in the wheel-arches is fukken ZERO! The wheels almost touch the front and back of the wheel-arch, and I think that the suspension must be set rock-hard, or under compression the tyres will rip the arches apart  :eek7:

The tyre profiles ar fuckall too, maybe just two layers of insulation tape...  :o

But in some strange way they look almost kinda sorta cool  O0  :peepwall:  :imaposer:
AT tax collectors office...repossessed? make sense...drivers has no brains  :imaposer: