Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 331737 times)

Offline ican

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • It is never too late to have a happy childhood!
    • View Profile
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #3480 on: April 20, 2017, 05:21:15 pm »
My experience is that it is basically impossible to register a trailer in SA without papers.
I built a trailer a couple of years back and could not register it. I had invoices for all the materials used...
I had to eventually work through somebody who had a manufacturers license..
In a world full of people, only some want to fly... Isn't that crazy?

Offline ExploreSA

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
    • www.gsrental.co.za
« Reply #3481 on: April 20, 2017, 05:27:11 pm »
Not entirely true. No laws have changed.
Yes, it is quite a process. Invoices, licence dept, police clearance and number stamping, follow SABS design, etc.
This whole story of not possible by a private person is a rumour started by the licenced trailer builders.
I followed this up in person with SABS.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I live to please but don't always succeed

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3482 on: April 21, 2017, 03:09:52 am »
I picked up a leaf blower.

It had "fallen off a truck". Really. Well... probably off a trailer.

It was lying on the side of the street, and I stopped and collected it. It is a Stihl, the type that fits on your back. Retails for about $350.00.

But it is broken. The plastic tat supports the back-straps is fubar from the fall on the road. This weekend I will test the motor. If it starts and runs then I'll check online what the spare parts will cost. If viable, I'll order the parts, fix it, and sell it for a small profit on Craigslist.

If the motor runs, but the spare parts do not make it a viable repair, then maybe I'll just keep the motor (about a 30cc 2-stroke) and maybe one day build it into my bicycle. I see lots of motorized bicycles around... must be legal  :biggrin:

I'll keep you'all informed.  :thumleft:

After work I cleaned the rust off the other two trailer rims and gave them a coat of rust preventing undercoat.  As Gerrard says, just do something each day...  :thumleft:

If I get home tomorrow with some daylight left I will give all three rims a coat top coat. Gray/silver. Then I need to remove the rust from all the trailer metal so I can give it an undercoat and a topcoat. I think I'll try out the spray-gun and the compressor...  :sip:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: April 21, 2017, 05:31:42 am »
Interesting score. :thumleft:
The Ant principle, move a mountain by moving a grain at a time.
Honda hawk400(sold)Yamaha rd400(passed on)Xr200r(sold)Tw200(sold)Sr500(sold to old boet)
Tw200(traded)650 dacar(present)

Offline ican

• It is never too late to have a happy childhood!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: April 23, 2017, 06:19:14 pm »
Not entirely true. No laws have changed.
Yes, it is quite a process. Invoices, licence dept, police clearance and number stamping, follow SABS design, etc.
This whole story of not possible by a private person is a rumour started by the licenced trailer builders.
I followed this up in person with SABS.

That may be. In Krugersdorp I was refused point blank by the licensing authorities. I went back numerous times and spoke to different officials. No luck. In other towns it may be different.
In a world full of people, only some want to fly... Isn't that crazy?

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: April 23, 2017, 08:35:32 pm »
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/71899-How-To-Register-A-Home-Made-Trailer

http://forum.thinkbike.co.za/archive/index.php/t-61987.html

Regulations:
http://www.nrcs.org.za/siteimgs/vc/VC8026.pdf

http://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/car_info/how_to_register_and_license_your_car/#.WPz0R4iGO00
Quote:
"Register a built-up vehicle
To register a vehicle built-up from parts, you will need the following:
Your Identity Document (ID)
An affidavit confirming where the parts came from and what was done to the car, fill out form SOA,
Request for police clearance, fill out form RPC
Request for police identification, fill out form RPI
De-registration certificate, only if the vehicle was deregistered
A weighbridge (mass measuring) certificate
Proof of title ownership.
Complete form RLV (Application for Registration and Licensing of Motor Vehicle)."

LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: April 24, 2017, 02:43:53 am »
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php/71899-How-To-Register-A-Home-Made-Trailer

http://forum.thinkbike.co.za/archive/index.php/t-61987.html

Regulations:
http://www.nrcs.org.za/siteimgs/vc/VC8026.pdf

http://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/car_info/how_to_register_and_license_your_car/#.WPz0R4iGO00
Quote:
"Register a built-up vehicle
To register a vehicle built-up from parts, you will need the following:
Your Identity Document (ID)
An affidavit confirming where the parts came from and what was done to the car, fill out form SOA,
Request for police clearance, fill out form RPC
Request for police identification, fill out form RPI
De-registration certificate, only if the vehicle was deregistered
A weighbridge (mass measuring) certificate
Proof of title ownership.
Complete form RLV (Application for Registration and Licensing of Motor Vehicle)."

Yip. It's doable. But its a whole lot simpler here.  :thumleft:

And the person I spoke to at the DMV was courteous, helpful, knowledgeable, and polite. I actually enjoyed the experience. That is twice now that I have had dealings with the DMV, and twice I have been more than impressed with them. Awesome!
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: April 24, 2017, 02:53:23 am »
Mrs Zog and I were discussing how to thank those that have contributed to the "Go Fund Me" site to help to get my son over here for Christmas.

We don't have the means to give expensive gifts. But we had the idea to send each person a "Zog" sticker. We made the trip up to Ron Jon's in Cocoa Beach today and purchased a batch of them.

The guys and/or girls that have already contributed, please send Mrs Zog a PM with your name and address. She will pop a sticker in the mail for you. If you wish to remain anon, that's ok. But still just pop her a PM, she'll keep it quiet. Anyone who still contributes please send her a PM too. It's the least we can do to show our gratitude for your generosity and assistance.

I spoke to my son today on the phone (Whatsapp video chat) and told him our plan to get him here. He was so excited, I don't think he is gonna sleep for a week! I'm excited too. I haven't seen him since November, and December will be 13 months. That is a very long time for a 10-year old... even longer for a daddy.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: April 24, 2017, 03:18:13 am »
Once again I was not required to work on Saturday.

Nice, to be able to stay home and get my own stuff done. But bad in the sense that I was not able to earn money. Even the lady at the PJ was working, so I couldn't do anything there.

But all good, soon we will get moerofa busy again, then I'll wish for the off time.

I finished cleaning all the rust off the trailer rims, they got an undercoat of the special Rust-Converting undercoat. Then two top-coats of gray paint. They look really good, I'll try remember to get a pic later in the week when I go in my shed again. I also ordered the new tyres from Walmart. They are the cheapest I could find, at $28 per tyre, plus $3 per valve-stem. Fitting is free. Tyres should arrive by 01 May...

Then I did a bit of work on my 'Yak...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:18:37 am by Mr Zog »

Offline Mrs. Zog

• Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
    • GoFundMe - Christmas at Disney with Dad
« Reply #3489 on: April 24, 2017, 03:19:03 am »
As Mr. Zog said above, we just want to show our gratitude.

Those of you who have already given, and those who are contributing from now on, PM me with name and address to get your sticker, I will keep it confidential. Also let me know if you want a certain color. As you can see above, we have a few choices. We're very optimistic to get more donations, so we bought LOTS of stickers! 

We have raised $810 so far... your generosity is truly amazing. We're not quite there yet for two air tickets and Disney, so we need to push on. Please consider contributing, every little bit is greatly appreciated  :thumleft: 

The link is https://www.gofundme.com/christmas-at-disney-with-dad, it's also in my signature.

THANK YOU!  :-*
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:21:45 am by Mrs. Zog »
Help reunite Mr. Zog and Little Zog for Christmas! Please consider making a donation. PM me for details or visit https://www.gofundme.com/christmas-at-disney-with-dad. Every little bit helps!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: April 24, 2017, 03:25:12 am »
So. The 'Yak...

I have been studying YouTube for about a year now, and one of the things I realised I need is a set of Dolly Wheels. So I shamelessly stole the idea from a guy called Zofflinger (Marty) on YouTube. I even got the same wheels from Harbor Freight on a coupon for $3.99 each  :biggrin:  The PVC pipes and fittings and black spray paint were all already in my shed... Oh, I needed to get a length of 5/8ths threaded rod and 4 nuts. That was about $2 at Home Depot. So for about $10 I have a set of dolly wheels. Makes getting the "yak from the truck to the water so much easier. And when at the water they remove and reinsert inverted. Simples!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: April 24, 2017, 03:39:26 am »
I also need a place to keep all my odds and ends. I saw on Youtube that most guys just use a milk-crate. I happened to have a red one! So I made it fit with a small minor modification.

I also added two rod-holders to the back, and a piece of 1" PVC pipe to hold my net. The rod holders were about $2 each at Walmart.

Then I needed a tackle box for the 'Yak. A plastic toolbox from Home Depot for $9 is just what I needed. And a cooler for the beers soda's was about $12 at Walmart.

I bought a bag of nylon cleats (cup eyes?) to attach to the 'Yak in various places to hold bungees etc on EBay for 20 cents each. A box of Stainless Steel screws was about $3.50 at the Depot...

I still need to figure out a way to get the tackle-box mounted so it is level on the boat. I have an idea using some more PVC pipe...

And I added some bits of pool noodle (green but free) to my net and the oars. And I'll add a piece to anything else that may fall overboard and needs to float  :biggrin:

Finally, I found an almost new but still in perfect condition life jacket at the Goodwill shop for $5. I plan to use the 'Yak on the Indian River Lagoon some time, and it is up to a few miles wide in places... so safety is a necessity.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: April 24, 2017, 03:44:26 am »
I also made new lifting handles bow and stern, from PVC pipe and rope.

And a couple of carry handles port and starboard from an old nylon belt.

A seat was made from the plastic part of a normal chair... I haven't screwed it down yet, I want to see if it works and is comfortable first.

I'm hoping to get it done by this coming weekend so I can go get it wet!

Offline Motor1

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: April 24, 2017, 05:43:54 am »
Looking good Zog.  I love the prices.  $1 here $2 there, sounds so low compared to here.
Sold: 2010 BMW F800GS
Sold: 2010 XT660Z
2011 XT1200Z
2013 Vespa 300 Gts
2009 Suzuki AN400

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: April 24, 2017, 07:02:08 am »
Looking good...!

I'd suggest that you take a short length of rope from each jockey wheel axle to the front handle of the 'yak when you pull it along.
That will prevent the pvc pipes from bending and breaking in their sockets.
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline NovaT

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
    • View Profile
    • Novatec
« Reply #3495 on: April 24, 2017, 10:46:00 pm »
Thought of you on your pinkish floating device when I saw this...

Have a look at My Website

Offline Tom van Brits

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: April 24, 2017, 11:55:11 pm »
I trust that there will be enough funds raised by the end of the year for junior Zog's visit!  :thumleft:

That kayak is almost ready! Gary you should have a look see if there is a market to build trailers - maybe you can have a good manufacturing PJ of sort?
Years back in SA I made quite a good extra income by manufacturing from home standard size burglar doors and even roof racks for Landy's. I had a template and made quite a couple as many guys were not prepared to pay the asked price for the aluminium racks. Mine was made from rectangular tubing and customised to accommodate things like jerry cans and roof tents. I suppose with the States being much safer there is not really a market for burglar doors and fences.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: April 25, 2017, 03:56:07 am »
Thought of you on your pinkish floating device when I saw this...

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

I think he swallowed his kayak with his bum when he saw what he had hooked  :eek7:  :imaposer:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: April 25, 2017, 04:03:25 am »
A month or two ago I scored a table.

It was a very dirty table, was used outdoors as a "potting table" by an avid gardener. So I took it home and stashed it in the garage... I had a plan for it.

This weekend I made that plan happen, but only finally finished it this evening.

I cut off about 9cm from each leg. And added a set of caster wheels that I scored long ago.

I fitted a bit of a sheet of plywood to the top, made an edge from some strips of oak, and lay some tiles that I had found at a cleanout.

Cleaned the rest of the table up, made it look as good as I could.

Then wheeled it into the kitchen, to be used as an "island table" for the coffee maker and accessories.

Mrs Zog says she likes... that makes her happy, which in turn makes me happy.  :biggrin:

Basically a free table, just a few costs involved in tile adhesive and grout.  :thumleft:

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: April 25, 2017, 04:22:18 am »
Very neat Gary! Well done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, Husqvarna 610 TE, Husqvarna 510 TE, Suzuki DR 650 SE.