Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 452740 times)

RobbieJZW, CDog, Un-Lurker, Sardine and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Knucklhead

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles
    • View Profile
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #4860 on: December 06, 2017, 10:58:06 am »
lekke lekke bru ..have a jol  :thumleft:

Offline Tiger8

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: December 06, 2017, 11:50:37 am »
Best Christmas Story EVER  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff & Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff!
Triumph Sprint 1050ST
Yamaha WR450F

Offline Tom van Brits

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: December 06, 2017, 12:11:53 pm »
What a lekker 'feel good' thread this is!  :laughing4: :laughing4: :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: December 07, 2017, 03:36:24 am »
So today the laaitie came to work with me.

It wasn't long and he was bored stiff...  :sip:  :imaposer:

That's why they call it WORK, and not PLAY...  :pot:  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

But he did get to have a very short swim in the ocean during my lunch break, and he fed a squirrel fries. Squirrel took them straight from his hand. Was hellofa cute  :biggrin:

When he got home he retired to his room, and glued his face to his phone... gaming and you-tubing...  :3some: :lol8:

At home I finally finished fixing up the bedframe. Installed it, it looks AWESOME!

Then I gave myself a haircut (No1 brushcut) and a shave (no comb in clipper). Now I'm good for another couple of weeks  :thumleft: O0
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: December 07, 2017, 03:45:03 am »
Accountability...

I just LOVE this country.

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2017/12/6/davenport_mayor_char.html

So the sherrif's department arrests a local mayor. She had used a dead person's Disabled Parking Permit in order to park closer to her building. Cops got an anonymous tip-off, and investigated.

They arrest the mayor, and dump her ass in jail. Her mugshot is plastered all over the local media, including the TV. Interview on TV with the relevant Municipal Manager points towards her probably getting fired.

Would this have happened in SA? 

The mayor parking in a disabled space - probably
The cops actually investigating after a tip-off - doubtful
The mayor getting ARRESTED - NEVER

I just love the accountability, NOBODY is above the law.  :deal:  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Tom van Brits

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: December 07, 2017, 04:05:00 pm »
Accountability...

I just LOVE this country.

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2017/12/6/davenport_mayor_char.html

So the sherrif's department arrests a local mayor. She had used a dead person's Disabled Parking Permit in order to park closer to her building. Cops got an anonymous tip-off, and investigated.

They arrest the mayor, and dump her ass in jail. Her mugshot is plastered all over the local media, including the TV. Interview on TV with the relevant Municipal Manager points towards her probably getting fired.

Would this have happened in SA? 

The mayor parking in a disabled space - probably
The cops actually investigating after a tip-off - doubtful
The mayor getting ARRESTED - NEVER

I just love the accountability, NOBODY is above the law:deal:  :thumleft:

Great stuff - the mayor and other key persons (leaders) should lead by example. What a kak way to tho a career away!

Good that junior Zog got to spent time with you at the work as well Gary, it will give him a frame of referance of your life over there!

Enjoy the time together!  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: December 10, 2017, 02:02:37 am »
A family day...

Saturday. And I have the weekend off...

Mrs Zog spoiled us with a lovely breakfast of scrambled egg, American-style pancakes, and BACON  :drif:

Then we bundled into the truck, and headed out. First stop was at the Goodwill Charity shop, to get some warm fleece-tops. A severe cold front was moving in, and we didn't have enough warm clothes. At Goodwill we found a Mongoose BMX bicycle in excellent condition for just $10! It fitted Tom just perfectly, way better than the 24 inch mountain bike that I had scored free a year ago for him. So we bought him the BMX...  :biggrin:

Then off to Walmart, where we bought some Christmas lights, and a Christmas tree. A real Douglas Fir Christmas tree! My first Christmas tree in the US (last year we just used that little wire Baobab that we brought from SA, not quite the same thing). I must say, a real tree just smells SO good! The whole house smells pine-fresh!

The cold front was preceded by rain, we got 2 inches overnight, and it was drizzling all morning. But not enough to stop Tom from spending hours riding his new bike in the street out front the house.  :ricky:  Mrs Zog and I even joined him on our bikes for a ride around the block.  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

Then we attached the Christmas lights to the front of the house and the two palm trees at the driveway. Tom was a great help passing me screws etc so I could hang the lights. The Christmas tree in the house also got the treatment, lights and shiny balls and pine cones and stuff... and a big blue star for the top (Tom chose that one  :lol8:  )

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: December 10, 2017, 02:09:42 am »
As it got dark we switched on the outside lights.

It's not quite as fancy as some of the houses I have seen so far this year, but I think it looks very festive and nice. I re-used some of the lights from last year, as well as the lit-Santa that Mrs Zog hates  :peepwall:  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

It's getting really cold now. Overnight temp is forecast to be 39 degrees F. That is just 3.8 degrees C  :eek7: :eek7: :eek7:

And tomorrow night we may even drop to freezing!  :patch:  :eek7:

Tomorrow will not get much above around 10 degrees C... So warm clothes and mostly indoors I think. No heading out on the little Bass boat, it's not a certified ice-breaker  :pot:  :imaposer:

Mrs Zog is cooking us a dinner of chicken, mushrooms, leeks, wine and bacon... smells delightful! And I am enjoying a short Vodka...

Life is good!!!  :biggrin:

Offline immigrant

« Reply #4868 on: December 10, 2017, 02:59:27 am »
The weather is really screwed up this year. Normally -20's now, but today this ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 03:00:34 am by immigrant »

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: December 10, 2017, 08:37:55 am »
I hadn't realised your winter gets that cold, Zog.

We have snow on Sani Pass at present. Very weird weather as Immigrant says

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: December 10, 2017, 09:00:09 am »
Morning from,a rainy, 2'C outside morning here on Mud Island.

Great score on the bike.

Headed out in a bit to meet CraigRK and his son Kyle about 25 miles or 40km from here, then we head out in his New to him 4x4 to collect a straight six engine, gearbox and rear axle for his 1950 Chevy truck over in Essex.

Then when I get home, I need to get my 1200GS onto the trailer and tied down as Mickey next door and I are taking it the 60km to Bromley at 07.00 tomorrow morning for a service and to sort the leaking fuel injection system

Life is good, even when wet and cold.

Enjoy the time together clan.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline DR BIG 750

• Bike: Suzuki DR 750S Big
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: December 10, 2017, 11:07:47 am »
weather really weird, I am in Uk at the moment plenty snow and very cold, family tells me there has been plenty rain and storms in jozi...
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Offline big oil

« Reply #4872 on: December 10, 2017, 01:46:33 pm »
A balmy morning here in Jackson, Michigan, Mr. Zog   :biggrin:
Air Temp  25F (-4C)
Humidity   78%
Wind Speed   SW 12 mph
Barometer   29.91 in (1014.3 mb)
Dewpoint   19F (-7C)
Visibility   10.00 mi
Wind Chill   14F (-10C)
Last update   10 Dec 5:56 am EST

Christmas lights look great :thumleft:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:55:01 pm by big oil »

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: December 10, 2017, 04:17:40 pm »
Hey zogster! :wave:

Glad you having fun with the lightie

That same cold front crossed the Caribbean, Cuba and hit us here in Honduras. 13 degrees this am with rain last night.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:18:06 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bikes: In transit   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: December 11, 2017, 02:19:03 am »
Hey zogster! :wave:

Glad you having fun with the lightie

That same cold front crossed the Caribbean, Cuba and hit us here in Honduras. 13 degrees this am with rain last night.

Hey Neil!

Ja man, blooming cold hey!  :o  Even the Caribbean can get cold-ish...  :biggrin:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4875 on: December 11, 2017, 02:35:03 am »
COLD  :o

Woke up this morning to an outside temp of just 1 degree C. Brrrr!

Nonetheless, stuff needed doing...

Pulled the laaitie's BMX into the shed and removed the pedal-bearings. They were a bit rough, so I washed them in petrol, regreased them, and replaced them. I also lubed the chain, and lubed the rear wheel sprockets'  free-wheel bearing.

I adjusted the brakes, and cleaned the brake pads on the wire-wheel on the bench grinder, they were badly glazed.

Put it all together, and now it's as good as new. Laaitie was very chuffed.  :biggrin:

Then we did a "poo-patrol". Bucket and a spade and picked up all the dog poo on the lawn. The weekly chore before mowing can commence.

Then I taught Junior Zog how to drive the mower... He learned fast, and within a few minutes he was mowing the grass.  :biggrin:  Bargain!  :ricky:

Then buddy Pieter (the dude who gave me the boat) called. He was going to take his boat out for a quick fishing trip on the Indian River Lagoon, did we want to come along?

Can a bloody duck swim?  :eek7:  :lol8:

OF COURSE we want to come along...

So I fished out some really warm jackets, and Tom and I headed over to Pieter's house. We spent a few hours fishing near the inlet at Sebastian. I caught a small (undersized) Redfish. My first Redfish! Tom and Pieter each got a nice catfish. Unfortunately no keepers. But we had a blast!

Tonight is going to be colder than last night, frost is forecast for some parts of our area. We have the central heat on, it is very nice! Still wearing warm clothing inside, but at least it's not as cold as it got in the old house in Pretoria in winter where we only had the gas heater in one room. This is definitely the coldest I have gotten so far in this country. The forecast for the rest of the week is for cold weather, so I guess that I won't be sweating as much as usual  :imaposer:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #4876 on: December 11, 2017, 02:42:18 am »
So I fished out some really warm jackets,

No pun intended...  :imaposer:
Help reunite Mr. Zog and Little Zog for Christmas! Please consider making a donation. PM me for details or visit https://www.gofundme.com/christmas-at-disney-with-dad. Every little bit helps!

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #4877 on: December 11, 2017, 03:35:43 am »
Can never count on the weather, many years ago we took the kids to Disney World and the temp dropped to 32, (0 C), We thought it was great, short sleeve shirt weather, but the natives were in a total panic. Never know maybe someday you will get some snow.
Been quite mild here in the "Pacific Northwest", a few frosts, but no snow yet. Tuesday I head into the high desert of Eastern Oregon, with luck it will get above freezing by mid afternoon.
A very Merry Christmas to you all, maybe cold outside but family makes it warm.
RJT
Live should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline grizz

• ROCHERSTER, KENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4878 on: December 11, 2017, 08:40:21 am »
Great white Shark Hunter.

Perfect Avatar material.

Sounds like this will be the holiday of a lifetime for all of you, including Mrs Zog.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • View Profile
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #4879 on: December 11, 2017, 12:26:55 pm »
Typically how a house in the US looks. Moerse nice garage and the cars are parked outside year round!! :deal: :eek7:

MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za