Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 881101 times)

Offline Mrs. Zog

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #6240 on: October 12, 2018, 08:08:32 pm »
Just as an add-on, kind of unrelated.

When you live in a mandatory evacuation zone and you have to go (or even if you evacuate voluntarily because you're too scared to stay), we've seen it here over and over again, if the designated emergency shelters are full, the local hotels will put you up for free, including your pets (even if they are usually not pet-friendly), even if they put you up on a folding cot in the lobby. During Michael just now, Airbnb opened up to evacuees and first responders coming from out of state, most hotel chains did too, and even "normal" people will open their homes to complete strangers. Most churches and schools function as shelters. It's truly a case of everyone working together to help everyone involved. Everyone puts their shit aside to help others.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:09:49 pm by Mrs. Zog »
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #6241 on: October 12, 2018, 08:53:45 pm »
The more I read this thread the more I like Americans. All our American clients back in Iraq and later Afghanistan were great guys, even on the onshore seismic rig in Kenya. Pity they do not accept our medics even though we studied under the American and Canadian protocol.
Pok Gary if there are more opperturneties for 'old' Saffers you better let me know, even seasonal work.

Glad you got a treat from a WD to spoil the misses and laaitie, WD's is a great community

Take care
 :thumleft:

Offline immigrant

« Reply #6242 on: October 13, 2018, 03:18:10 am »
The more I read this thread the more I like Americans. All our American clients back in Iraq and later Afghanistan were great guys, even on the onshore seismic rig in Kenya. Pity they do not accept our medics even though we studied under the American and Canadian protocol.
Pok Gary if there are more opperturneties for 'old' Saffers you better let me know, even seasonal work.

Glad you got a treat from a WD to spoil the misses and laaitie, WD's is a great community

Take care
I recently completed a 40hour first responder course that my work sent me to. The instructor tried to sell us on another 40 hour course then we can drive ambulance. Can you guys not just complete those courses and start working to get your foot in the door for more advanced courses/jobs?
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #6243 on: October 13, 2018, 04:00:34 am »

Take care
I recently completed a 40hour first responder course that my work sent me to. The instructor tried to sell us on another 40 hour course then we can drive ambulance. Can you guys not just complete those courses and start working to get your foot in the door for more advanced courses/jobs?

Ja, I could do that. And then I could work as a volunteer for a couple of years until a post came open, and then I could start working for around $9 / hour as a junior ambulance attendant. And still have to pay for all the additional courses etc that are required, like BLS and ACLS etc. That would be fine if I was a 19 year old laaitie, but not anymore. After more than 20 years of running out at 2am so some drunk fucker that rolled his car can puke on me, I'm more than happy to sleep all night through in my nice comfy bed, thank you very much!

I understand your sentiment immigrant, but to get to where I was in SA again would take me many years here, and I just don't have that left in me.

And I'm actually enjoying the challenges of my new profession, and one of these days I'll get my plumbers license and then I can start to earn some decent $$$.

All good things come to those who work hard!  :thumleft:  :biggrin:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6244 on: October 13, 2018, 04:09:23 am »
So today I knocked off at a decent hour, 4pm  :ricky:

I went past the Home Depot on my way home and picked up some hardware and some lumber for the new gates that I have to build this weekend. Remember last Sunday when the dogs got out while I was deep sea fishing? Ja. Well that has crept up on my arse and this weekend I kak off. New gates for the missus. or she turns a Bobbit on me...  :patch:

I actually made a good start already. I dug a hole, and planted a 4" x 4" x 8' pole that will serve as the one gate post. I got it all level, and concreted it in. Then I cut 4 cross beams from old wood that I had from the old house fence, and attached them to the post and the old corner post.

Then I pulled out around 10 used fence-panels from my wood pile and cut them right, and attached them to the new section. So the first part is done... I'll get some pics in the morning.

So now I need to disassemble the old gates, and then build the two new gates. I'll also get pics of that whole process as it progresses.

I hope to be done by late tomorrow PM, because then I want to fire up the gas grill and bbq a few sausages. I need to taste something vaguely resembling a braai again...  :drif:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline immigrant

« Reply #6245 on: October 13, 2018, 04:30:38 am »
The guys here get paid $18p/h for an emergency medical responder (80hour course), plus union benefits. But not as lucrative as a plumber  :thumleft:
(My comment was directed mainly to TvB)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 04:41:31 am by immigrant »

The following users thanked this post: FanieKrismis

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #6246 on: October 13, 2018, 05:29:29 am »
Ok that in Canada Immigrant? Thanks for the post did you maybe get som e mail address for me as I would love to make some enquiries asap
Maybe a pm not to highjack Mr Zogs thread?

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6247 on: October 14, 2018, 02:37:02 am »
The guys here get paid $18p/h for an emergency medical responder (80hour course), plus union benefits. But not as lucrative as a plumber  :thumleft:

One day, when I get my plumbers license, I may earn up to $20 / hour. It seems that salaries in Canada are a lot higher than in the US  :sip:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6248 on: October 14, 2018, 02:44:05 am »
So today was the threatened "gate building day"...  :peepwall:

I started off bright and early, around 07h30. I needed to get all the wood planks off the old gates so that I could make them lighter and more easily managable, so that was my first job. I saved all the screws, because they were only a few weeks old and therefore still good to be used again.

When all the wood planks were off I unscrewed the hinges from the old gates and took them down. I used the old gates to construct a temporary barrier against escape so that I could work without having to keep the dogs locked up in the house.

Some pics from the early morning...

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6249 on: October 14, 2018, 02:59:03 am »
The gates would be constructed from pressure treated 2x4's, (the pressure treated lumber is supposed to be resistant to bugs and rotting and such)

But I decided that I would not just be making the gates like I made the last gate for the lean-to shed back at the old house. For that gate I used steel corner brackets, and although the gate worked just fine, it wasn't the best option. For the new gates I decided to go with lap-joints (I think that is what they are called?) at the 4 corners. This would mean I would have to cut away 50% of each end of each plank.

Seeing as most of my tools are still in plastic bins in the workshop I elected to use my skill-saw to get the job done. I set up some small pieces of scrap 2x4 around the plank to be cut, to keep the skill saw level, and I just made lots of cuts very close to each other to get the desired cut. It caused lots of sawdust, but was still better than trying to work the slightly wet wood by hand.

I screwed the corners together from both sides, and I also fitted tensioning cables to each gate to further prevent sagging as it ages. Then I had to fit the front planks. For these I used the old planks that I had salvaged from the lean-to shed at the old house. Using the old planks meant that I saved around $40. but I also had to cut each plank square with the chop-saw, and then cut the dog-ears on the top of each plank as well. So lots of extra work, but I did have the time  :biggrin:

I also added a cross-plank at the bottom of each gate, just to help keep things a bit more stronger... and a bit more escape proof. As you can see from the pics, each gate plank was a different length because of the slope of the ground, and getting each one just right so that it was as low to the ground as possible, but also not catching on the ground and breaking. Some planks did require taking off and shortening, better slightly too long than too short.

But in the end I did get it finished, and I also added a beam to the front bottom of the gate to help prevent it ever being blown open by the wind again.

I am satisfied with the result.   :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6250 on: October 14, 2018, 03:04:12 am »
As if I wasn't busy enough with the gates, Mrs Zog also decided that I needed to help her with some gardening...  :patch:

Of course I have to do all the heavy lifting and stuff...  ::)

Anyways, during the course of the day she calls me over and puts a little snake in my hand and says I need to identify it for her  :lol8:

It was just a very tiny little fucker, and it was a completely harmless snake too, a tiny little Florida ring-neck. So I took it outside of the yard and let it go in the bushes next door where it will hopefully not re-enter our yard where the dogs will kill it.  :sip:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #6251 on: October 14, 2018, 03:08:24 am »
Mr Zog,   :sip:
You would be wise to add a diagonal brace to the gate to prevent it from deforming on you.
Either a plank from the bottom hinge to the top outer edge, or the lighter solution,
a cable from the bottom outer edge to the top hinge corner.
Put a turnbuckle into the cable setup so you can tighten it if necessary.
Even with lapped joints, the gate will sag over time and catch on the ground.

Trust me on this one! 
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6252 on: October 14, 2018, 03:11:00 am »
And so, just because I had worked so hard, I decided that we needed to spoil ourselves  :biggrin:

So I asked Mrs Zog to take out the ribbetjie that she had in the freezer, as well as a packet of beer brats.

This evening after I had had a shower I fired up the grill and braaied the meat. I decided not to do it the American way, with BBQ sauce and kak, but to do it with just braai salt.

MAN!!! Those ribbetjies were LEKKER  :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:

Oh, and I had an assistant with the braai as well  :imaposer:

Our first braai in the new house.

And I have decided that a lapa will be built as part of the 5-year plan  :peepwall: :ricky:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #6253 on: October 14, 2018, 03:19:24 am »
I see you are drinking beer flavoured lime juice there...  :P

Five worsies - two each for you and Mrs Zog and the fifth for the dogglies?

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6254 on: October 14, 2018, 03:23:21 am »
Mr Zog,   :sip:
You would be wise to add a diagonal brace to the gate to prevent it from deforming on you.
Either a plank from the bottom hinge to the top outer edge, or the lighter solution,
a cable from the bottom outer edge to the top hinge corner.
Put a turnbuckle into the cable setup so you can tighten it if necessary.
Even with lapped joints, the gate will sag over time and catch on the ground.

Trust me on this one!

I did already put a cable from top hinge to opposite bottom corner, with a turnbuckle  :thumleft:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #6255 on: October 14, 2018, 04:00:33 am »
The close up shows I stand corrected.
Mooi so, maat!

Offline immigrant

« Reply #6256 on: October 14, 2018, 05:44:15 am »

One day, when I get my plumbers license, I may earn up to $20 / hour. It seems that salaries in Canada are a lot higher than in the US  :sip:
You can ask more than that. My local plumber asked me $60p/h (minimum 3 hours) to change out my water softener. Did it myself for $12,50 (and minimum 3 beers). Trades are making good $$$$ right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #6257 on: October 14, 2018, 10:13:03 am »
Loads of great updates Gary, thank you.

Thatís a lovely looking snake.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline landieman

• Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
« Reply #6258 on: October 14, 2018, 05:01:24 pm »
keep n Zogging mr Z :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
don't worry about things you can't change,change the things you can.

Offline Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #6259 on: October 14, 2018, 07:01:59 pm »
Dude, even I felt inspired to do some zoggin
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶