Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 881366 times)

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #6340 on: November 04, 2018, 09:43:12 am »
So last night we had a Break In.  :eek7:

I only realised it this morning when I let the dogs out for their morning wee, and Sammy came trotting back in with the evidence in his mouth.   :o

The fricken 'Coons had opened up the trash cans and had spread the contents across the entire driveway, and also across the new gate into the back yard. Sammy came inside carrying a stinky plastic bag in his snout, Maggie was discovered still out there stuffing her snout with what ever the 'coons hadn't finished eating from the trash.  :xxbah:

So it was off to the Home Depot to try and find something to secure the trash cans with. I came home with two Hasp-and-staples, and two cheapo caribeaners. I bolted them to the trash can and the recycle can, and secured them with the 'beeners. So unless the little fuckers learn how to open a 'beener, I think the trash will now be safe  :ricky:

What is this world coming to, when you have to lock up your trash cans  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

steady on there dude!  :eek7:  :imaposer:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #6341 on: November 04, 2018, 12:42:24 pm »
Them's RAcoons !
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #6342 on: November 04, 2018, 12:56:13 pm »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #6343 on: November 05, 2018, 02:50:46 am »
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6344 on: November 05, 2018, 02:55:13 am »
So I got the trailer done.

Done to the point where the boat is back on it, and the balance point / centre of gravity has been found. I still need to add the lights, and the boat guides (the guides and the lights are on the same PVC pipe) and then the number plate. Oh, and also the tie-down points for the trailer too. So not much left to do before I can take it back out on the road again.  :biggrin:

Here are a few pics of the trailer while I was fitting the carpeting to the bunks...
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline boere

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #6345 on: November 05, 2018, 03:17:02 am »
 :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6346 on: November 05, 2018, 03:23:05 am »
So after I finished the carpeting on the bunks I got Mrs Zog to help me to pull the Jon boat out from behind the workshop where I had stashed it for the last few weeks, and I pulled it onto the trailer.

I refitted the casting platform in the front, and then I was about to put the old 7.5HP outboard onto the transom when I stopped.

The last time I went out with the Jon boat I almost got into deep shit when the motor started running rough, and I needed some power to keep the nose up and out of the waves when a storm blew in. I have stripped the carb AGAIN, replaced the plugs, and tried my best to get it running smoothly, but without success. I was really concerned about the reliability of the motor, especially when I take the boat down to the Keys in December with my son to go fishing and to scatter my Dad's ashes at sea. The very last thing I need is for the motor to quit when we are a mile or two offshore and the current is pushing us further out. I just didn't feel comfortable taking my son out on the boat with a dodgy motor.

So I washed up and headed over to Bass Pro Shop. I had a chat to the outboard engine salesman and explained my situation. He told me that he had an "old" 2017 model engine in the back that he hadn't sold, and he could give it to me at a massive discount! But the price was still much more than I had in my bank account.  :peepwall:

So I bit the bullet and applied for a Bass Pro Shop credit card  :o

To my utter amazement it was approved!  :eek7:   (seems that owning your own home helps you to get credit)

So the end result was that I came home with a BRAND NEW (never run before, but they did start it up in the workshop in the back for me) 2017 model Mercury 9.9 HP 4 Stroke! outboard engine  :ricky:  They even included a fuel tank and fuel line, and a "bunny ears" for flushing the engine. I have a strict run-in procedure, which I will adhere to, and a 5 year warranty on the motor as well. Damn, when they ran it in the test-tank in the workshop it was so quiet! And it has an electric start, WITH an alternator to charge the battery while running! This engine is the BUSINESS!!!  :drif:

I have already ordered a hour meter and tacho combination online on eBay for $10, so I can see what the revs are while running in, and to keep a record of the hours done. It has a wire that wraps around the spark plug wire, so very simple installation. It will be here in 2-3 days.

So back home I fitted the engine, and DAMN it looks good! I was pretty nervous about making more debt, but I think that the new motor is definitely much safer, and if I take good care of it, it will give me many many years of happy fishing and boating. And I got it for a shade over $800 less than the 2018 / 2019 models. Apparently there are no differences between the year models, but when people buy new engines they want the latest year model... and I just think that the dude did me a big favour  :peepwall: :ricky:

The engine also is the same shaft-length as my old one, so it sits perfectly on the transom, at just the right height.  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6347 on: November 05, 2018, 03:38:23 am »
I nearly forgot...

I also cut away some of the inside wood at the transom where the hole was and patched it up with "Water Weld". I cleaned the aluminium as best as I could, and then I used my Dremel with a tiny steel wire brush to get the surface properly prepped. Then I mashed up the Water Weld, and pushed it in really good. I'm sure that the boat will be dry now  :biggrin:

When the Water Weld dried I covered the rest with silicone caulk to protect the wood of the inside transom. Then I refitted the little bilge pump, and the rest of the equipment like the battery and wiring and trolling motor and anchor pipe, and seats etc. Still to be fitted is the bimini top, and then it will be ready for the fuel tank and the first trip back onto the water!

I'm itching to get out again, but next weekend I'm on call again, so I'll just have to be patient I guess...  :sip:

I'll put the old motor up for sale on Craigslist, hopefully what I get for it will pay for all the parts I had to buy for the new trailer.

Oh, I still want to get a set of mudguards for the wheels... they are around $12 each for galvanized steel, or $40 each for plastic. I guess I'll get the galvanized ones  :deal:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6348 on: November 05, 2018, 03:47:11 am »
To celebrate getting the boat almost ready again we decided to have a braai...

Mrs Zog had bought some lamb chops (imported from New Zealand) on BOGO (buy one, get one free) a few weeks ago, and put them in the freezer. She defrosted them, and also some sausages. But by the time I was done working it was getting dark, and when I fired up the grill the mozzies were just simply unbearable. One slap would net 3-4 mozzies, each time!

So I pulled the grill into the garage, it has a screen on the back door, and screens on the big door. I opened up all the doors, put two fans on to get the smoke out, and cooked the meat inside the garage  :imaposer:

At least I was away from the bloody mozzies! They are really bad right now.

With the chops and sausage we had some potato salad, and some coleslaw. And Mrs Balls, and Nando's garlic peri peri sauce  :drif:

And a cold beer  :peepwall:  :ricky:

Thanks for reading guys & girls.  :thumleft:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #6349 on: November 05, 2018, 05:18:24 am »
Good on you for getting that motor.
That is not something that you want to play with and have hassles when out on the water, especially not with your son or wife with you.
Easier to pay of debt than death.
Trailer is looking nice. :thumleft:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6350 on: November 05, 2018, 06:43:12 am »
yis...I am hoping for a boat in the next 2 years so please dont stop zogging so i can follow  :peepwall: Watching the trademe here like a hawk for any good deals/giveaways.

And Mr zog come visit here then you dont have to import those chops  :biggrin:

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #6351 on: November 05, 2018, 10:20:43 am »
I attached the new one with two 3/8" (9mm) stainless steel bolts and Nyloc Nuts.

MR.Z - pls check the tensile strength on the stainless Bolts - stamped on the head - normal Stainless has a very low tensile strength, I snapped a Stainless cap screw off with a Allen key.....
You do get High Tensile Stainless bolts, make sure the ones you have are these.......
 :eek7:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #6352 on: November 05, 2018, 11:37:20 am »
I attached the new one with two 3/8" (9mm) stainless steel bolts and Nyloc Nuts.

MR.Z - pls check the tensile strength on the stainless Bolts - stamped on the head - normal Stainless has a very low tensile strength, I snapped a Stainless cap screw off with a Allen key.....
You do get High Tensile Stainless bolts, make sure the ones you have are these.......
I hate stainless steel bolts, they shear and as a tip, never use the same grade of stainless for the bolt as the nut, they “gall”!or essentially weld themselves together, use a 304 bolt with a 316 nut etc. for strength use 304 bolts they are much stronger than 316 people often think it’s the other way around as 316 is more expensive and more corrosion resistant , but much softer.  8)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 11:45:32 am by Welsh »
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they'd eventually find me attractive.

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6353 on: November 06, 2018, 04:09:07 am »

I hate stainless steel bolts, they shear and as a tip, never use the same grade of stainless for the bolt as the nut, they “gall”!or essentially weld themselves together, use a 304 bolt with a 316 nut etc. for strength use 304 bolts they are much stronger than 316 people often think it’s the other way around as 316 is more expensive and more corrosion resistant , but much softer.  8)

I'll check when I get home again in daylight  :thumleft:

Would it matter much that the stainless bolts are in a "shear" orientation as opposed to a "torsion" orientation?

And what about galvanized bolts, do they lose any strength compared to normal steel bolts?

It's still relatively easy to swop the bolts out for others, before they snap on the interstate and send my trailer and boat and new motor crashing head-on into a 18-wheeler  :eek7:

Tomorrow I'm heading back to Tampa again for part 2 of the big install at the dialysis clinic. I'm leaving home at 5am, and hope to be home by 10pm. No night-stop for me this time. But it's going to be a bitch of day, and hot too. Weather report is saying possibility of record-high temps tomorrow  :eek7:

Luckily I'm not yet eligible to vote  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6354 on: November 06, 2018, 06:16:12 am »
I always go for galv, go for at least an 8.8 grade it is stamped on the head (not a 4.6) 8)
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they'd eventually find me attractive.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #6355 on: November 06, 2018, 07:28:11 am »
Would it matter much that the stainless bolts are in a "shear" orientation as opposed to a "torsion" orientation?

And what about galvanized bolts, do they lose any strength compared to normal steel bolts?

This is exactly the problem - Stainless has a very low "shear" strength (and low torsional strength) - the chances of them snapping off are way higher than I would consider - as per Welsh below - 8.8 Galvanized are the best option - they will last years and are cheap to replace when they start to corrode.... Wit galvanized Nyloc nuts....
And by the look of it, your tow-hitch receiver is galvanized aswell....
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 07:29:36 am by ClimbingTurtle »
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #6356 on: November 06, 2018, 07:53:14 am »
USA Grade 8 is 6 radial lines, it looks like they don't stamp like the rest of the world.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6357 on: November 06, 2018, 07:46:11 pm »
It just never ends. These dogs are slowly killing me.

So today they are due their monthly Heartgard (for Heartworm disease prevention - it's mandatory here) and Bravecto, which they get every three months for fleas and ticks. I gave Maggie her Heartgard and her Bravecto, and Sammy ate his Heartgard but projectile-spat his Bravecto across the floor, straight at Maggie, who of course ate it so fast it was a blur.

So now she's has her Heartgard and 5x her normal dose of Bravecto (hers and his). So I went back to the vet to make sure she'll be ok. She should be fine, but we can expect vomiting and diarrhea for a couple of days, maybe some lethargy. And of course I had to shell out another $50 for another Bravecto for Sam.

Then again, Maggie might not even have any side effects, she seems to be bulletproof. In her 10 years, she should have died several times over.

I give up.
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline boere

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #6358 on: November 06, 2018, 07:58:18 pm »
You go Maggie :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #6359 on: November 06, 2018, 10:33:24 pm »
Good call on the new motor.

Brain looked excellent
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

The following users thanked this post: thabogrobler