Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 884875 times)

Offline Mrs. Zog

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #6560 on: December 09, 2018, 08:24:53 pm »
When we were waiting for the Zoglets at the airport, it took a lot longer than we thought, and we were getting very hungry, so I quickly dashed to the food court to grab us something while Mr. Zog continued to wait in position. When I came back, the Zoglets were already there.

Little Zog spotted me coming and ran full speed through the crowd into my arms for a monster hug. I was trying very hard not to cry. Feeling very grateful to have a stepson who loves me.

Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #6561 on: December 09, 2018, 09:56:08 pm »
When we were waiting for the Zoglets at the airport, it took a lot longer than we thought, and we were getting very hungry, so I quickly dashed to the food court to grab us something while Mr. Zog continued to wait in position. When I came back, the Zoglets were already there.

Little Zog spotted me coming and ran full speed through the crowd into my arms for a monster hug. I was trying very hard not to cry. Feeling very grateful to have a stepson who loves me.

Surely knows how much he is loved in return. Have a wonderful visit :biggrin:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #6562 on: December 09, 2018, 10:35:25 pm »

I do not know if I am speaking out of turn here, but will just say that parenting is a lot more than blood and genetics.

I have brought up a few kids in my life, none were my progeny but comments like “Rian is more of a father than my own father” just shows that you do not need to be related to be a great parent.

Well done regardless.

Kids don’t lie.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #6563 on: December 10, 2018, 02:17:12 am »
It was a long and hard day today.

We left home just after 8am to go take down the garden shed at a ladies home. Arrived a few minutes later and got to work. I had to figure it out, it is a plastic "Rubbermaid" garden shed. But soon got it dismantled and loaded onto the trailer. Below the garden shed's floor was a framework of timber that was completely rotted out. We gathered that up and took it to the street so that the refuse collection guys could take it away.

I also purchased a small used, but still in perfect condition, microwave over from the lady for $15, and 3 fuel cans (2 x 5 gallon, 1 x 1 gallon) for $10. The can still has about a gallon of petrol in it! Then back to the house to offload. Driving home the rain started as a cold front came across the state. At home we offloaded the shed parts, and because it was raining quite heavily I got the nephew to help me to get some of the empty storage bins, and some full ones that we would not need for some time, up into the attic in the garage. This cleared up a whole lot of space in the garage.

Then we headed off to Home Depot and picked up some cinder blocks and a few 4x4 pressure treated timbers to build a new base for the shed. Back home Thomas got busy with his laptop on the uncapped wifi, and nephew and I got busy digging the cinder blocks down and levelling them. I decided to raise the floor up on the cinder blocks to prolong the life of the wooden framework beneath the shed. I was actually hoping to just get the blocks in, and maybe the framework done by the end of the day, but with good help, and a cooler day, we finished off the framework by lunchtime!

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6564 on: December 10, 2018, 02:25:14 am »
As you can see from the pics, I also put down 4 ground anchors on the side of the shed so that I can attach heavy duty straps to them to keep the shed down in the next hurricane.  :biggrin:

Then we headed back to Home Depot and I got two sheets of OSB ply that they use for roofing here. It's pretty well water resistant. I used that to cover the framework and help spread the load on the shed base. I screwed the OSB down to the base, then I screwed the plastic shed base down to the base. Solid, not going anywhere.

Then Nephew and I reassembled the shed! Got it put up in about 45 minutes! Was pretty simple job. So now I have a new (to me) garden shed that I will still do a bit more work in to get it more "solid", then I will move all of my fishing equipment into it, which will free up a lot more space inside my workshop.

Happy Days!!!  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6565 on: December 10, 2018, 02:28:13 am »
The poor man goes to the states to work harder then he does in SA  :deal:

Out of interested mr Zog, why not a cement base for the shed? Not enough support in the swamp land?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:28:40 am by silvrav »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6566 on: December 10, 2018, 03:09:46 am »
The poor man goes to the states to work harder then he does in SA  :deal:

Out of interested mr Zog, why not a cement base for the shed? Not enough support in the swamp land?

Mixing cement for that size base (7 feet x 7 feet) would require the use of a cement mixer! And I purposefully wanted it raised up a few inches so that any heavy rains would run away below it. The shed is at the bottom of the garden and at the lower end of a slope.  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: silvrav

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6567 on: December 10, 2018, 03:13:27 am »
And the poor man needs to work back the price of his return air ticket to the USA, AND his return air ticket to Boston. He flies out tomorrow and returns a couple of days before they return to SA.  :pot:  :imaposer:

Anyways, when the shed was done the rail also let up, and we still had a couple of hours of daylight left, so I took them down to the Indian River Lagoon where we tried to see if we could catch a salt-water fishy. But alas no luck...

But a bad day's fishing still beats a good day working  :biggrin:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6568 on: December 10, 2018, 03:15:45 am »
Finally to end off a great day, Mrs Zog made an awesome lasagne for supper!  :drif:

And a stunning tiramisu pudding  :drif:

I'm stuffed  :o

In a good way.

Off to bed soon, back to work tomorrow.  :deal:

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6569 on: December 10, 2018, 03:23:51 am »
But a bad day's fishing still beats a good day working  :biggrin:

Couldn't agree more  :thumleft: Now that I am close to the oceans again I am already eyeing out fishing gear....so sad when they stole my gear with the moving up from East london to Pretoria  :patch:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #6570 on: December 10, 2018, 05:11:32 am »

I do not know if I am speaking out of turn here, but will just say that parenting is a lot more than blood and genetics.

I have brought up a few kids in my life, none were my progeny but comments like “Rian is more of a father than my own father” just shows that you do not need to be related to be a great parent.

Well done regardless.

Kids don’t lie.
From experience I agree wholeheartedly.
Well done, we can also see that you care!
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #6571 on: December 10, 2018, 07:01:10 am »
Goodonya Zog !  Sweat bartered for a shed?  Great deal.

The buildings in US are different to in ZA because of the cost of skilled labour.
Timber boarding is quick to erect compared to brick and mortar.
(It doesn't last as long though !)
Everything is nailed together, which goes against my grain - I far prefer 'glued and screwed' construction.
Silverav has a point too - if 'Mericans built with concrete bases - you could strap the shed to its own base and it won't go nowhere!
But as Zog said, then he would need a concrete mixer - no handmixing labour about.

Personally I think the US timber Building Codes are over-designed.
They standardise on 2x4" timber for studs and railings at 2' centres.
With boarding on both sides, 2x3" would be plenty strong - and their timber is stronger than ours.  ::)
But then the lawyers would be suing the shirt of somebody's back if anything happened that caused a structural failure.
So I guess there won't be any building code changes soon...   :sip:
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #6572 on: December 10, 2018, 05:27:19 pm »
Goodonya Zog !  Sweat bartered for a shed?  Great deal.

The buildings in US are different to in ZA because of the cost of skilled labour.
Timber boarding is quick to erect compared to brick and mortar.
(It doesn't last as long though !)
Everything is nailed together, which goes against my grain - I far prefer 'glued and screwed' construction.
Silverav has a point too - if 'Mericans built with concrete bases - you could strap the shed to its own base and it won't go nowhere!
But as Zog said, then he would need a concrete mixer - no handmixing labour about.

Personally I think the US timber Building Codes are over-designed.
They standardise on 2x4" timber for studs and railings at 2' centres.
With boarding on both sides, 2x3" would be plenty strong - and their timber is stronger than ours.  ::)
But then the lawyers would be suing the shirt of somebody's back if anything happened that caused a structural failure.
So I guess there won't be any building code changes soon...   :sip:

Americans are not into construction technology, low stress low tech designs that can be the same for Alaska or California. When the big draglines were built here, the steels were tested to -40C it was the spec and what if in 10 years it gets sold to a Canadian company etc... fark we had two local companies building Draglines...
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they'd eventually find me attractive.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #6573 on: December 11, 2018, 11:20:46 am »
Enjoy the family time Mr & Mrs Zog and tight lines  :thumleft:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline mtr89

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • one grateful dude
« Reply #6574 on: December 11, 2018, 01:45:34 pm »
Great to see you with your lighty.
Hopefully it'll be a great holiday together
KX125-sold;DT 175-sold;XT660R-sold;VFR 800-sold;SR250-soldt;2006 YZ 250 2t sold;2009 YZ 250 2t sold; 2013 XT 660Z Tenere-current

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6575 on: December 11, 2018, 02:12:45 pm »
Ok Dogs, help me out, I need some ideas.

On Saturday is Mr. Zog's company Christmas party. Last year, we also went, and we were really embarrassed because everyone had gifts for everyone else, and we didn't know it was a thing, so we came empty-handed. This year I know, so I'm sort of prepared.

I have the three ladies covered (fancy soap and fancy candles), but the two men have me stumped. I know nothing about them as far as hobbies etc., so whatever I get is probably going to be sort of generic. I need something for the accountant and the husband of one of the ladies Gary works with (Gary's boss is taken care of already). Also, it can't be too expensive.

Any ideas?
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #6576 on: December 11, 2018, 02:34:15 pm »
Let old ZOGGY make them a key holder thingy you put on the wall with some cup-hooks to hang the keys on.

Personal and cheap.  :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline corne.l

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Say what?
« Reply #6577 on: December 11, 2018, 03:09:30 pm »
Biltong and droewors  :imaposer:
in vino veritas, in cervesio felicitas

Yamaha XT1200Z (2010) - SOLD
Yamaha XT660Z (2009) - SOLD
BMW F650GS Dakar (2004) - SOLD

Offline Suzukli DL

« Reply #6578 on: December 11, 2018, 05:11:15 pm »
Accountant : rustic hand made abacus  :imaposer: but seriously may be cool, Mr Z can make it.
Ladies Husband: key holder thingy as suggested or rustic hand made wooden poster frame for a man cave with a pic of something cool. Mr Zog can make

Actually a nice father and son project for the Zog guys  :thumleft:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6579 on: December 11, 2018, 06:26:30 pm »
Cool ideas, but there is no time to make anything, we have three days, and Mr. Zog is out of town again Thursday and Friday. So that really only leaves something store-bought  :(