Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 828750 times)

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #6680 on: January 01, 2019, 05:32:35 pm »
All the best for the new year, The Zogs and readers alike! May you all be blessed abundantly!

It's probably been about 5 or 6 months since I started reading your memoirs and I can honestly say I get excited every time I see there's a new post...

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

You need to get out more... :biggrin: :thumleft:
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #6681 on: January 02, 2019, 03:49:09 am »
Last night as midnight struck the whole world erupted.

Literally the entire 360 degree spectrum around me was just a continuous flashing and solid noise. I'm guessing I must have seen/heard around a million $ worth of fireworks go off in about 15 minutes. Tom and I were sitting outside on the picnic table watching. But by 12:30 we called it a night and went to bed.

I woke up late. Very late. for me that is. 7:30am  :eek7:

Made coffee and enjoyed the early morning quiet, most other folks were still fast asleep. Had a shower and got dressed, and was just about to head outside to do some garden work when the phone rang  >:(   work. Call out, people have no water. Eish.

Here is a tip, use it, don't use it. If you are going to work on your electrical outlets, make sure that when you are done that the power to the well pump is still connected. If not, the aerator tank will run dry, then the house pump will run without water and melt the PVC fitting out and eventually burn the pump out. Then you can pay someone Double Rates on a public holiday to fix it all  :deal:  :thumleft:  Eish....  :imaposer:

Back at home I spread some mulch in the front garden flowerbed. Then to the big project. Plumbing water to my workshop.

I dug a trench from the house to the workshop, and down along the side of the shed to the far corner. Then another trench across the front of the workshop and down the side a bit too. While digging all these trenches I discovered several paving stones, and countless concrete bits that had been deposited over the years. I had to pull them all out so I could get the trench dug deep enough.

From the pics below you can see that I put tarps down with the digging to catch all the sand and keep the grass sod. That just made it a whole lot easier when I had to fill the trenches back in after a successful pressure test. And no soil all over the lawn. I put a tap at the back side of the shed for when I need to flush my boat motor after running in salt water, and also for washing the boat.

Then I built a framework for the old washbasin I salvaged from the old place. I also took the old taps off the washbasin and "Zogged"  a custom tap. Now it's high enough above the washbasin so I can scrub dirt off my arms too, and fill a bucket or wash bigger parts, etc. The old taps were just way too low.

After a pressure test Tom and I filled up all the trenches and re-laid the grass. Put away all the tools and stuff, and set the sprinkler to get it well watered.

Just in time for a shower and dinner.

Back to work tomorrow... but hey, it's a short week  :biggrin: :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #6682 on: January 02, 2019, 08:05:40 am »
Lekker to do stuff with your boy.
Father - son bonding opportunities...!  ;D

PS: What ferns are growing in your workshop gutters?
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6683 on: January 02, 2019, 03:26:48 pm »
The one with the wide leaves is a staghorn fern (Platycerium sp.), the other one seems to be a Boston fern (Nephrolepsis sp., possibly Nephrolepsis exultata).

Just my best guesses.

Sorry, I can't get the picture to rotate correctly  >:(
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 03:28:26 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6684 on: January 03, 2019, 04:04:35 am »
A moerofa busy day. Didn't even get to stop for a sandwich at lunch.

But this evening I did pop over to Orlando to collect the nephew from the airport after he flew back in from Boston. Tomorrow he and Tom will make a start at taking down the old section of the back fence, the one behind the new one. Break it down and load the bits onto my trailer so I can get the scrap to the dump. That will help me tremendously.

I have a half-day on Friday, weather permitting I'll repay them by taking them fishing...  :biggrin: :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6685 on: January 03, 2019, 04:23:59 am »

But this evening I did pop over to Orlando to collect the nephew from the airport after he flew back in from Boston. Tomorrow he and Tom will make a start at taking down the old section of the back fence, the one behind the new one. Break it down and load the bits onto my trailer so I can get the scrap to the dump. That will help me tremendously.

I have a half-day on Friday, weather permitting I'll repay them by taking them fishing...  :biggrin: :thumleft:

Sounds like my younger days... Dad repayed me with an afternoon off after helping him sand and varnish all wooden doors and windows in school holidays  :lol8: still wouldn't trade it for anything...  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 06:26:53 am by silvrav »

Online Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #6686 on: January 03, 2019, 06:25:10 am »

That is a very expensive way to get free labour! :-)
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6687 on: January 06, 2019, 02:40:23 am »
What a KAK day  :'(

This morning we packed up the suitcases, and took Tom and the nephew to the airport in Orlando. Saying goodbye again, knowing that I'll not see him again for at least another 11 months.

Fuck that hurts like a motherfucker. And I know it hurts him too. But he put on a brave face, and off he went.

I came home and busied myself with odd jobs and stuff. Tonight the house is quiet again, and just the two of us at the dinner table.

But Mrs Zog and I vowed to start saving every single penny we get to try and afford the air ticket for Tom's next visit.

And now I don't feel much like talking any more tonight. Sorry.   :'(

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #6688 on: January 06, 2019, 06:43:09 am »
My heart goes out to you, but rememder how fast last year went!
You can start planning what you are going to do on his next visit.
Go fund me!
Strongs boet! :thumleft:
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #6689 on: January 06, 2019, 08:47:36 am »
Goodbyes are never easy but at least the modern era with WhatsApp and fb will help a bit with communications.
He is traveling back home with great memories.
Cheers

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #6690 on: January 06, 2019, 11:27:14 am »
Sorry, canít do a thing about you, Mrs Z or the Dogs missing Tom.

However, to just throw a kak light on the situation.

Every time he comes over to see you, his mind is being expanded, and it will all add to him making a more solid decision to join you guys in the USA at some point.

Question is, on what grounds can he join you freely, vs not being permitted due to being an ďAdultĒ ?

Just trying to think forward.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #6691 on: January 06, 2019, 01:13:06 pm »
Life goes on... and Tom will visit again.

I recall a story of a woman in the US.
An ordinary wage earner as an administrative clerk in an accounting firm,
she would stretch her budget by using coupons, but only buying store specials for food and groceries that she ACTUALLY wanted.
If she saved $1 off the price of this or that, she took that $1 and put it in an old fashioned piggy bank.

Every month or so, she took the piggy bank down to the Savings and Loan
and put the money into a 30-day notice savings account.
(This was in addition to their targeted savings for children's education etc.)

When the amount of the savings was enough to invest long term (stocks, bonds, unit trusts whatever)
she did so - in order to remove it from frivolous spending temptations...

Over a period of 40 years with compound interest and good market choices, she built up almost $1m in capital growth.

The moral is - you don't actually save anything when you buy for cheaper.
You only really gain if you put the difference into saving instruments.

I know a guy who gave up smoking.
Every day he put the price of the packet he DIDN'T smoke in a tin.
At the end of the year, he took his family away on holiday with the "didn't smoke" money.
Pennies every day can grow without you noticing it.

The following users thanked this post: grizz, Sardine, CraigRK

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6692 on: January 06, 2019, 08:57:42 pm »
Little Zog and Nephew Zog have landed safely in Joburg.

The following users thanked this post: buzzlightyear, halfjob, Sardine, silvrav, Tom van Brits

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6693 on: January 07, 2019, 03:48:52 am »
I had a video chat with Tom when he finally made it home. He looks tired, but happy.

This morning I started off tidying up the garage. Threw out a whole lot of crap, and stashed some stuff I won't be needing soon in the attic. Also found the last of my fishing stuff and took it down to the fishing shed.

Then I loaded up my long ladder and went to go and change the batteries in the security cameras at an old man's house. I think I may have mentioned it before? I installed the cameras for him about 2 years ago, and I go back every 6 months to install new batteries. Today he gave me a lovely bottle of Merlot to thank me. I gave it to Mrs Zog, she enjoys a nice glass of wine.

Then I went over to another friend, also an ex-Saffer, and fixed his pool pump motor. It was struggling to start up. I tested the capacitor, it should be between 161 and 193 MFD, but it was down to around 45MFD. I fitted a new one, and now it starts right up! He thanked me by giving me three palm trees that were springing up from dropped coconuts in his yard. When I got home Mrs Zog and I immediately planted them in the far corner where we are trying to block off the view of the cleared lots where we believe that they will be building houses soon.

Then I raked leaves and put them in bins, and I pulled out the mower and cut the grass.

Finally I unpacked the garden shed and threw out all the old paint cans that the previous owner had left behind (they were all rusted and dry inside) and I sorted out and repacked the shed. It still needs some more work, but at least I can find the stuff that I am looking for now.

Then I had a shower, and went off to the supermarket for some cold meat and cheese. Tomorrow I am back on my diet, no more take outs for lunch from Burger King or McDonalds. I roll a slice of cheese up in a slice of cold meat, and put 4-5 of these in a sandwich bag. They keep me going during the day until dinner time. Healthy (low starch  :biggrin: ) and quite filling. And a WHOLE lot cheaper than take-out.  :o

Now I think I may have a glass of that Merlot before I go to bed...  :drif:  :lol8:

The following users thanked this post: buzzlightyear

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #6694 on: January 07, 2019, 06:32:30 am »
Roll some blanched green beans inside the ham and cheese and you have an even healthier snack !

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6695 on: January 08, 2019, 09:44:00 pm »
An example of superb customer service.

I wrote an e-mail to the support address of the skincare brand I'm using, and the lady who replied answered my question and recommended a product that's not from their brand. She said she has to go to that brand's store later this week anyway to pick up something for her daughter, and she'll grab some samples for me and pop them in the mail. Well... thanks a lot!!!

Small stuff like that makes me happy.

The following users thanked this post: grizz, Sardine

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #6696 on: January 09, 2019, 06:00:26 am »
An example of superb customer service.

I wrote an e-mail to the support address of the skincare brand I'm using, and the lady who replied answered my question and recommended a product that's not from their brand. She said she has to go to that brand's store later this week anyway to pick up something for her daughter, and she'll grab some samples for me and pop them in the mail. Well... thanks a lot!!!

Small stuff like that makes me happy.

She is a wonderfully kind and thoughtful lady, but that's not superb customer service, because if she's right about the product, you won't be supporting her brand anymore :imaposer:

What a lovely gesture, though.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #6697 on: January 11, 2019, 06:52:57 am »
How you holding up Mr Zog?
Eat life!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6698 on: January 12, 2019, 02:23:01 am »
How you holding up Mr Zog?

I'm good, thanks for asking.

It's been a "CU Next Tuesday" of a week. frikken long hours and kak jobs. Today I did another artesian well repair. Had to dig a hole almost 6 feet deep for my sump pump, which then decided it wasn't going to work. So then had to dig a trench around 10 meters long to where the ground sloped away towards a pond to allow the water gushing out of the broken well to drain away. Finally managed to divert the water flow using duct tape to join another pipe, then could get the hole deepened until I was able to get down to steel pipe that wasn't rusted too badly so I could cut it and fit the repair coupling and the new section of PVC pipe with a ball valve so I could finally stop the leaking well.

By the time I was done, I was done. I'm getting too old for this sort of physical labour. Soaking wet, muddy, sweaty (in the middle of a cold front) and fucking tired. And that was only by 1pm. I still had other jobs later in the day. Eish.

Anyways, I'm still alive. Just really FUBAR. Mrs Zog made an awesome spaghetti bolognaise for supper, and I had a rum and coke for pudding.

Pics below of the well repair job today. The PVC pipe sticking up out of the repair coupling in that hole was just a shade under 4 feet long. When the water was gushing out of the cut steel pipe it washed about 3 feet of sand into the bottom of the hole. That's what happens when you work in sea-sand. Imagine digging a hole on the beach and then a wave washes over it...

Online Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #6699 on: January 12, 2019, 05:15:37 am »
Mr Zog, me personally, but I guess many of the other dogs really appreciate the beautiful relationship you and your Missus have! Thanks for allowing us a peak!
 :love1: :love10: :love2: :love3: :love4: :love5: :love6: :love7: :love8: :love9:
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!