Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 904547 times)

Offline WheelieDog

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • DL650 VStrom
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #6960 on: March 03, 2019, 08:33:57 am »
One finger typeing on an iPad, frankmac beat me to it >:(
For the love of it.

Offline WheelieDog

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • DL650 VStrom
« Reply #6961 on: March 03, 2019, 08:36:57 am »
Aarg, that was a smiley, stupid tiny iPad icons!!!!
For the love of it.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #6962 on: March 04, 2019, 02:15:07 am »
My FOK Marelize…  :imaposer:

This morning I started off with the plumbing job, so as not to disturb the neighbours.

The old installation had the two little shut-off valves, the cold water shut-off had it's handle removed so that it would fit.

Eish.

I suppose the previous plumber was just too lazy to cut the old valve off and fit a new one just an inch further down the pipe. Or the job (installing the new vanity cabinet and wash basin) was done by a previous homeowner without much clue.

I had to remove the top drawer's side runner to get to everything. Then I removed the drain P-trap and associated piping. I took off the old flexible pipe from the valve to the tap up top, then I cut the copper pipe just behind the old valve. I cleaned up the pipe with some emery cloth. then I installed the new valve. The new valve has a compression fitting, so I didn't need to solder it on.

I did exactly the same for the second valve too, it was also missing it's handle. Then I installed two new flexible pipes from the valves to the taps up top, replaced the P-trap and associated piping, and checked for leaks after I turned the water back on. No leaks, that's a good thing  :deal:  :thumleft:

I also noted that the inside of the pipe in the valve was very badly clogged with sediment. I cleaned out the pipe, the sediment was pretty loose, so it came out ok. Probably got stuck at the valve because of the restriction. The new valves gave brilliant water flow at the taps. nice! Now that wash basin has not just hot water, but cold water too  :biggrin:

pics...

1-3. The old shut-offs. Not the one on the right, right up against the drain pipe.  :o

4-7. The progress of the job until completed.

8-9. The blocked valve, and the old valves, without their handles. Makes shutting them off, or opening them impossible without tools.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6963 on: March 04, 2019, 02:22:49 am »
You'll note in the last pic above that the one valve was open, the other closed. The one that was closed was the cold water one, it could not be opened because the drain was too close... the mind boggles  :o

Anyways... after the plumbing I got back to the fence. I salvaged several more slats off the old fence, but after about two hours it was just too hot and the sweat in my eyes was burning them. So I called it "time" and got busy with other jobs...

I dug another hole. But this one was in the middle of the lawn, under the shade of the tree. So not as hot. Then I planted another 4" x 4" fence post. I checked it for level (verticals actually) and concreted it in. Then it got two eye-bolts. The tree got a single eye-bolt.

Can anyone figure out what I am going to be doing here? Answers on a postcard (which means I'll never get them thanks to SAPO  :peepwall:  :imaposer: ), correct answers will get a virtual high-five  :thumleft:  :3some:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6964 on: March 04, 2019, 02:27:02 am »
I chatted to Junior Zog on WhatsApp today, live video chat.

He told me that he had been to a Voortrekker Kamp this weekend, and they had some SAPS folks come and teach them about stuff. Like drugs, and stuff. And they got to play with some smoke grenades, and the cops even set off a couple of thunderflashes. Then the cops taught them about various grenades, and what to do and what NOT to do should they ever find one. Then they learned about fire extinguishers, and got to squirt some too  :lol8:

He sent me the following pics of himself having fun.

LEKKER!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6965 on: March 04, 2019, 02:34:35 am »
I also got called out this afternoon, but it was a quick simple job, so didn't take me too long. But I'll go back tomorrow and install a  new pump for the customer. The old water pump is fubar, but I managed to get it running again just so they could have water. Installing the new pump tomorrow will save the customer around $100 in labour charges, the difference between normal hours labour rate and weekend rate...

This coming week I will also be away, twice. Tuesday and Wednesday I'll be up in Ocala, about 2.5 - 3 hours North West of us. I'll be attending a training seminar on advanced water purification. Should be a good one. Staying over at a motel in Ocala Tuesday night.

Then I'll be going back to Lakeland again Thursday and Friday to do the second phase of the job that I started a couple of weeks ago. Lakeland is about 2.5 hours West of us, and I'll be staying over in a motel again.

Eish. So I guess that means that I'll not be posting here much during that time. But if anything interesting happens I'm sure that Mrs Zog will keep y'all informed  :thumleft:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #6966 on: March 04, 2019, 03:14:29 am »
Hmmm...
What needs to be attached at three places and removed again to cut the lawn?
A triangular flag like a pennant?
Hmmm...

So do you get to come home between Ocala and Lakeland?
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #6967 on: March 04, 2019, 06:44:16 am »
Watch out for those twisters Zog, looks like they are having some big ones up in Alabama😎
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline OomD

« Reply #6968 on: March 04, 2019, 07:13:26 am »
Enjoy your time lazing in the hammock  ;)

The following users thanked this post: CraigRK

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #6969 on: March 04, 2019, 09:14:47 am »

+1  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline alli

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Where to next?
« Reply #6970 on: March 04, 2019, 01:59:06 pm »
Can anyone figure out what I am going to be doing here? Answers on a postcard (which means I'll never get them thanks to SAPO  :peepwall:  :imaposer: ), correct answers will get a virtual high-five  :thumleft:  :3some

SPACE - Z rocket launcher !!!

GONE INSANE.....BACK SOON

KLR650 & DR350S & XR600R

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6971 on: March 05, 2019, 01:56:52 am »
Must be a jumping rope for Maggie  8)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6972 on: March 05, 2019, 03:15:28 am »

HIGH FIVE!  :lol8:

When I was still back in SA I made a hammock for the back stoep of the house we were renting. When we packed up 3 years ago I put it on one of the two pallets we brought over. Since then it has remained rolled up and unused.

Until this coming weekend...  :biggrin:

ps. I put two eye bolts in the post so that I could either hang it low or high...   :thumleft:

pps. My bags are packed, tomorrow morning I'll be off before sunrise for Ocala.  :sip:

Offline OomD

« Reply #6973 on: March 05, 2019, 10:28:20 am »

HIGH FIVE!  :lol8:
<...>
:ricky: Yay! I win the internet  :spitcoffee:

Offline JoeR

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #6974 on: March 06, 2019, 11:23:18 am »
But then we would like to see an evidence photo of you in the hammock..if it resists you ;-)

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #6975 on: March 06, 2019, 11:30:18 am »
How deep is it buried in the ground?
Hammocks exert a serious amount of lateral force,
especially if there is more than one person in them...!
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #6976 on: March 06, 2019, 11:31:21 am »
You cannot fall deeper than 6 feet under..... :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Karel84

« Reply #6977 on: March 06, 2019, 12:39:23 pm »
Mr Zog, on the subject of hammocks, do you know of any specific way to weave nylon strapping to make a diy hammock? I've searched YouTube, but without any luck.

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #6978 on: March 07, 2019, 12:47:08 am »

Mr. Zog + Mrs. Zog + Maggie + Sammy...  :eek7:
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6979 on: March 07, 2019, 04:21:54 am »

Mr. Zog + Mrs. Zog + Maggie + Sammy...  :eek7:

Nope  :eek7:

It will be just me, and maybe Maggie....  :deal:  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Fudmucker, I buried it around 4 feet deep, then concreted it in. That was the deepest I could dig with my post hole digger. If it starts to tilt over then I'll have to reconsider the arrangement, but I think it will be fine.  :thumleft:

I got back this evening from Ocala. On the way up I stopped at the local equivalent of a Ultra City for a pee break. Below is a pic of the name of the stop. I think I may have been in Indian Country  :peepwall: :imaposer:

I learned a whole lot about water purification and a certain brand of water filter. I also learned a whole lot about Reverse Osmosis too. And because I was clever and answered a trick question in the class correctly I won a $25 gift card from the vendor teaching the class  8)

On the way home the boss called and told me that the trip tomorrow to Lakeland has been postponed, probably until Monday or Tuesday. I'm ok with that, I wasn't looking forward to going away twice in the same week.

I was hoping to go fishing this weekend, but with the severe cold snap we are having right now I think the fish will be off the bite, and I also have a shit-ton of stuff to do at home too...  :(