Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 865354 times)

Blikkies1 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7000 on: March 14, 2019, 03:38:52 am »
Just paint the dish with some waterproof enamel paint and sprinkle some sand onto the wet paint.
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7001 on: March 14, 2019, 03:53:33 am »
Just paint the dish with some waterproof enamel paint and sprinkle some sand onto the wet paint.

hmmm.....  :sip:

I'll see if I have any paint in my shed :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline JVZ55

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #7002 on: March 14, 2019, 06:54:58 am »

You can also coat the base with fibreglass resin and then sprinkle coarse salt over it and press it into the resin, let it set, afterwards wash off the salt and there you have a non slip surface that should last in the outdoors.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #7003 on: March 14, 2019, 07:00:28 am »

You can also coat the base with fibreglass resin and then sprinkle coarse salt over it and press it into the resin, let it set, afterwards wash off the salt and there you have a non slip surface that should last in the outdoors.
sugar works the same used to do windsurfer decks😎
Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite. Courtesy of Spike

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #7004 on: March 14, 2019, 09:05:43 am »
Gorilla Glue will do it.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7005 on: March 15, 2019, 02:40:49 am »
Here are the pics of the satellite dish bird bath  :peepwall:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7006 on: March 15, 2019, 02:43:55 am »
And here are some random pics of the fence progression, and the Jon boat...

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7007 on: March 15, 2019, 02:48:30 am »
I had to take the pics of the boat as I am trying to get a quote for insurance for it.

I have put a shit-load of time into that little boat, and the motor was expensive too. So should I have a kak day and it ends up on the bottom of the sea I would like to get something back. If the monthly payments are affordable...  Lets wait and see what the broker says....

Just for interest, my other trailer costs me around $5 per month for insurance  :biggrin:

Here are some pics of the hammock... and Maggie and I making good use of it  O0

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7008 on: March 15, 2019, 02:58:35 am »
And finally....  8)

Yesterday I had yet another water heater (geyser) installation job. When I got there the customer and I hit it off from the first words we spoke to each other.  :3some:

You see, he is also from South Africa  :ricky:  But he has been out of SA for over 30 years. He spent around 12 years in Canada, and has a Canadian passport. Now he lives in the USA.

While we were chatting I told him how much I miss the simple stuff from SA, like boerewors...

So dude walks over to his freezer and takes out a pack of frozen boerie  :eek7:  :drif:  :drif:  :drif:  Tells me that if I do a good job with the water heater install it is mine  :biggrin:

So of course I do a fantastic job, and when I was leaving he gave me the boerie. I put it straight into my little cooler box that I keep my water in, and when I got home I pout it in the fridge to continue defrosting.

This evening when I got home I fired up the braai, and cooked the boerie. Liefie made us a nice salad, and some mash and gravy.

Lets just say that supper was excellent  :drif:  :biggrin:   The boerie flavour was based on the Grabouw recipe, and was brilliant. The dude took my number, and I took his. He makes boerie a couple of times a year, and next time he makes he will make extra for me. Will only cost me the price of the meat (mince) that he buys.

Fokken lekker man!!!  :drif:  :imaposer:

The following users thanked this post: big oil

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #7009 on: March 15, 2019, 04:42:08 am »
You get what most people miss in life!
If you can see and enjoy the small things in life, it is very easy to be happy!
Good on you.
Dakar 650
KLR650

Offline Karel84

« Reply #7010 on: March 15, 2019, 06:04:53 am »
Awesome stuff on the boerie score! Is it just me though, or did the pics not upload so lekker? I'm really keen to see what that hammock looks like!

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7011 on: March 15, 2019, 07:20:01 am »
Lekker Mr Zog.

The pics are fine - can see everything clearly.
Eat life!

Offline Karel84

« Reply #7012 on: March 15, 2019, 08:52:38 am »
Lekker Mr Zog.

The pics are fine - can see everything clearly.
Fong Kong phone is the problem then!

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
« Reply #7013 on: March 15, 2019, 09:47:21 am »
Mr Zog I'm mystified. When you're not working all hours, on call outs, building fences, work benches, cupboards, fixing boats, mowing lawns, plumbing your house, and a seemingly endless list of other stuff that's exhausting just to read about, where the hell do you find the time for lazing around in a hammock?  :o ???

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #7014 on: March 15, 2019, 10:14:05 am »
Like the birdbath, another smaller, flat stone may be useful too, under the water level.

Always nice to run into other Saffas.

Works looks good.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7015 on: March 16, 2019, 03:44:52 am »
We had another rocket launch this evening.

A United Launch Alliance (ULA) Delta IV with 4 "strap-on" booster rockets went up at 8:26pm local. The rocket made 25 million pounds of thrust  :eek7:

It took a military communications satellite up. I filmed it with my phone for y'all  :biggrin:

at about 1:10 and on you can make out what looks like some "sparks" coming off the back, that is where the 4 "strap-on" boosters were released.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 03:46:23 am by Mr Zog »

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7016 on: March 16, 2019, 03:48:48 am »
Mr Zog I'm mystified. When you're not working all hours, on call outs, building fences, work benches, cupboards, fixing boats, mowing lawns, plumbing your house, and a seemingly endless list of other stuff that's exhausting just to read about, where the hell do you find the time for lazing around in a hammock?  :o ???

Well, you see... I made that hammock back when I was still in SA, probably around 2014. And now it has just sit in storage for over 3 years.

So I HAD to just test it out to make sure that it still worked, and that the thread I used to sew it with hadn't rotted or anything... all in the name of safety I say  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
« Reply #7017 on: March 16, 2019, 08:47:44 pm »

Well, you see... I made that hammock back when I was still in SA, probably around 2014. And now it has just sit in storage for over 3 years.

So I HAD to just test it out to make sure that it still worked, and that the thread I used to sew it with hadn't rotted or anything... all in the name of safety I say  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Ah so, you were working on it.  ;)

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7018 on: March 18, 2019, 02:19:45 am »

Ah so, you were working on it.  ;)

eggzacchery  :deal:  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7019 on: March 18, 2019, 02:40:19 am »
There was no lounging on the hammock this weekend.

Friday afternoon at 4 I find out that I am "on call" this weekend. I was supposed to be off, next weekend was my on rotation. Boss screwed up the roster, I decided not to make a noise, just shut my trap and took my work van home.  :xxbah:

Saturday morning I woke up early, 6am, to make a start on the fence while it was still cool. Made coffee, fed the dogs, got dressed, and my phone rang... went on a call out that lasted 4 hours. On the bright side I get paid overtime. Back home just before 12. Hot and muggy. Had a quick bite to eat, got busy with the fence. Got a whole lot done, called it a day at 6:30.

Saturday was also a "special" day. It was exactly three years ago that we landed at the Orlando airport and this adventure began... A few weeks ago I had bought a spare ribbetjie at Walmart on special for $4.99. So that was put on the braai, with a couple of mielies in foil. Supper was very lekker  :biggrin:

This morning (Sunday) I woke up early again. Made coffee, fed the dogs, got dressed. Went off to Home Depot to get a box of screws because I was running out and would not get the fence finished with what I still had. On the way to Home Depot the fucking phone rings...  :xxbah:

So I got the screws, came home, put my work clothes on, and headed out. Luckily it wasn't too far away, and it was a quick fix. I was home 90 minutes after I left  :biggrin:

Got busy with the fence again. Broke for a lunch break and a dry t shirt, then back to work. Finally got the fence finished around 4pm.  :ricky:

Then I started making a temporary fence at the side of the house... just a low one, just to keep Maggie the "Houdini Dog" in while I build the front section of the fence. When we moved in I just screwed a bunch of fence panels to the existing very old and crappy white plastic picket fence. Now is the time to do it properly.

With the temporary fence done I got busy taking down the fence between the side fence and the side of the house. Got most of it done, then called it a day. I was DONE... physically and mentally...

Gave myself a haircut and a shave (No 1 brush-cut on the head, take the comb off and shave the beard), then a hot shower. Mrs Zog had made a very lekker meatloaf for supper, and I washed it down with a beer.  :drif:

Not time to catch up with y'all, then bed. Back to work again tomorrow.

Some pics...
1. The second tree is almost there with it's leaves.
2-8. The progress on the fence...

9. The new temporary fence.
10. Removing the old front fence...