Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 903706 times)

Mr Zog and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mrs. Zog

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7400 on: June 21, 2019, 05:04:49 pm »
We keep telling the dogs they need to get a job.

Sammy says he does security - he saves me from the mail man every day and, on some days, keeps me from being brutally slain by the UPS or FedEx guy. 

Maggie says she does pest control. Can't argue with that at all, can I?

:P
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7401 on: June 21, 2019, 05:10:33 pm »
We keep telling the dogs they need to get a job.

Sammy says he does security - he saves me from the mail man every day and, on some days, keeps me from being brutally slain by the UPS or FedEx guy. 

Maggie says she does pest control. Can't argue with that at all, can I?

:P

Wise dogs Mrs Z  :imaposer: :laughing4:

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7402 on: June 23, 2019, 03:46:10 am »
Friday morning I was back "on call" for the next 7 days again.

Got home at 6:30 and grabbed the weed eater and the mower. Finished the lawns at 8pm. Sat down for supper. The phone rang.

Eish. Got home at 11pm.

This morning the phone woke me up at 07:03. Got home at 11:30. Ate some food, had a shower, a couple of small clean ups around the house. Phone rings. Left home at 2:30, finally back home at 6:30. Had another shower...

Supper.

Wild dogs.

Bed.

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Ganjora

« Reply #7403 on: June 23, 2019, 06:53:16 am »
Amerika certainly appears to be the home of the brave, not so sure about the free though.
  ::)

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #7404 on: June 23, 2019, 08:13:21 am »
ARBEIT MACHT FREI  :deal:

Someone said.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 08:15:23 am by jaybiker »

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #7405 on: June 23, 2019, 01:08:56 pm »
ARBEIT MACHT FREI, AMERIKA

Ze only zing worse zan having a LOT of work to do is...

...having NO work to do !  :eek7:

Zen ve take you to ze wall and fire you.   :o
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7406 on: June 23, 2019, 06:58:06 pm »
Gary at some stage you have said (posted) that Americans do work hard, and I have seen that in Iraq with our clients - engineers and artisans. They were putting in hours, and I come to respect it.

My son is only 1 week in the States now working for a farmer, and he says the farmer works with all the South Africans daily and even harder in his judgement.
What also strikes him is the discipline, the way it should be.
What I like; there is no compromises and he got all the tools he needed for the job (Snapon) and a Doge truck! My son is a very positive man, but now he is happy because life treats him fair in America.
If I was just younger, or if someone will just give me a change in the States I'll be there in a flash!

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7407 on: June 24, 2019, 04:29:51 am »
Gary at some stage you have said (posted) that Americans do work hard, and I have seen that in Iraq with our clients - engineers and artisans. They were putting in hours, and I come to respect it.

My son is only 1 week in the States now working for a farmer, and he says the farmer works with all the South Africans daily and even harder in his judgement.
What I like; there is no compromises and he got all the tools he needed for the job (Snapon) and a Doge truck! My son is a very positive man, but now he is happy because life treats him fair in America.
If I was just younger, or if someone will just give me a change in the States I'll be there in a flash!

Tom, just have faith.

Personal referral is always an option.

When your son has been there several months, and the farmer sees him spending his personal off-time cleaning his truck, cleaning and servicing his tools, going the extra mile, doing the stuff that the other guys don't do, he will notice and appreciate it. The farmer will talk to your son, and get to know him, and when your son tells the farmer that "this is how my dad taught me to do things" and "this is nothing, you should see how hard my dad works", and stuff like that. then the farmer will see that giving you a chance will be an option.

You get my drift?  ;)
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Online Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #7408 on: June 24, 2019, 04:48:32 am »
It LIVES!!!!

Today I started the bike  :biggrin:

The old Honda XL500S hasn't run in at least a year, probably more. This morning I gave it a going-over, and saw that apart from it not having a clutch lever anymore, the ignition toggle switch that I had installed (the after market ignition switch that I put on the bike years ago didn't work, long story for another time) was also gone. When I took the seat off I noticed that the battery was disconnected. So I reconnected the battery, and wired in a new toggle switch that I had in my shed.

I added about 3 litres of petrol, and turned on the fuel cock. I pushed the bike out of my shed, flicked the toggle switch on, and gave it a kick. Nothing. So I kicked it again, but this time I remembered to "feel" the kick start was in the "right" spot. Second kick.... and she fired right up  :ricky:

Damn! It felt so good. Unfortunately I couldn't even take it for a ride around the back yard because no clutch. So I just enjoyed it for a few seconds, then flicked the toggle switch off again and pushed it back into my shed.

I have just ordered a new ignition switch off ebay, for the princely sum of $6.95 plus $3.50 for shipping. It should be here middle of next week, and a new clutch lever will be here Tuesday. Another $7 or so  :biggrin:

I also just printed out all the import docs that I had on file, as well as the SA registration certificate. I dunno where the originals are, I think the shipping company lost them  :peepwall:  So as soon as I can get a chance I'll pop in to the DMV and try get it registered.  Then I also need to do the riders course sometime, but that is 2 days off work, and costs $200  :eek7:

Anyways, all in good time. I'm just so chuffed that the bike started so easily after all this time  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

Today I didn't do very much else. I was pretty wasted after a hard week and all the overtime Saturday. But I did make a small shelf for under the coffee table in the Florida room to store the bottled water and other stuff on. And I planted a couple of plants that were in pots into the ground for Mrs Zog as well.

Today is exactly 1 year since my dad died. Damn I miss him so bad. But I did have a nice video chat with my son today, that lifted spirits a lot, as did starting my bike.

Thanks for reading.  :thumleft:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #7409 on: June 24, 2019, 06:18:48 am »
 :thumleft: On your bike starting so easy!
Ironicly I just bought back my old school ( SR500)  :peepwall:
Also been standing, I do not think it is going to start so easily!
4 years on the Bluff :peepwall:
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #7410 on: June 24, 2019, 06:47:58 am »
Nice Mr Zog  :thumleft:
Eat life!

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #7411 on: June 24, 2019, 07:48:46 am »
Hmm, where's that GoFundMe?

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #7412 on: June 24, 2019, 07:54:46 am »

Tom, just have faith.

Personal referral is always an option.

When your son has been there several months, and the farmer sees him spending his personal off-time cleaning his truck, cleaning and servicing his tools, going the extra mile, doing the stuff that the other guys don't do, he will notice and appreciate it. The farmer will talk to your son, and get to know him, and when your son tells the farmer that "this is how my dad taught me to do things" and "this is nothing, you should see how hard my dad works", and stuff like that. then the farmer will see that giving you a chance will be an option.

You get my drift?  ;)

This is very true.

And for what itís worth, when those conversations come up, your son will probably mention his dad was in the army.

The Americans have massive respect for those who served, and rightly so.

Even that could help get the right slant in the conversation.

Not sure how ďencumberedĒ you are Tom, but being able to move or travel, helps too.

Good luck regardless.

NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

The following users thanked this post: big oil

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #7413 on: June 24, 2019, 08:40:29 am »
Hmm, where's that GoFundMe?

Closed already.
We need another option...  :patch:
HEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #7414 on: June 24, 2019, 09:26:19 am »
Geeze, Gary, I have vague memories of you talking about your XL on this forum a moerse long time ago....it's kinda weird to think now that you AND THE BIKE are in the states.  :biggrin: Lekka, man, enjoy it.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7415 on: June 24, 2019, 04:43:50 pm »
So what you nice people are saying is... I need to start another GoFund Me?  :o
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7416 on: June 24, 2019, 04:48:14 pm »

Tom, could you enter the Green Card Lottery? Just a thought.

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7417 on: June 24, 2019, 07:33:15 pm »

Tom, could you enter the Green Card Lottery? Just a thought.

I got nothing to loose, will Google and see how to go about  :thumleft:

So what you nice people are saying is... I need to start another GoFund Me?  :o

Yes to that!!   :thumleft:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7418 on: June 24, 2019, 11:18:23 pm »
By the way, I am appalled and perturbed that Mr. Zog has not mentioned THE CAKE.  :drif:

THE CAKE that he made me bake twice in two days... the first one I baked on Saturday afternoon. He polished it off with hardly a crumb left. It was gone by Sunday morning (I had some too).

The repeat, by request, is in the oven right now.

Offline allan.cawood

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #7419 on: June 25, 2019, 12:33:25 am »
By the way, I am appalled and perturbed that Mr. Zog has not mentioned THE CAKE.  :drif:

THE CAKE that he made me bake twice in two days... the first one I baked on Saturday afternoon. He polished it off with hardly a crumb left. It was gone by Sunday morning (I had some too).

The repeat, by request, is in the oven right now.

Did someone say cake???

I cannot believe that someone as hard working at Mr Zog would demolish off an entire cake without posting pictures for us to see his progress

No fear Mr Zog, my SWAMBO also bakes (has a small catering business) ... and some of those cakes (I get to test them ALL) are so good ... Iíd eat it all in one sitting

Been following this thread (lurking) for a while now ... and yes Iíve read from Page 1. I think itís awesome what you have accomplished in a relatively short period of time.
We are also looking at potentially moving to the USA (my folks and boet live in Bristol, CT - 16yrs now) ... Dad has already lined up potential work which Iím contracting to already from here.
Having said the above, 1 day, Iíd like to meet Mr and Mrs Zog in person, shake their hands ... you are both inspirational to us all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2005 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Bumblebee)
2004 Yamaha XT660X (Barker)
1993 Honda CB1000 Super Four (Thunder)

"You can take my heart, you can take my breath  When you pry it from my cold, dead chest"  Skillet - The Resistance (Unleashed 2016)