Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 939838 times)

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #7580 on: July 24, 2019, 03:29:20 am »
Congrats on getting your boney to America.

Have you been able to get a plate and tags yet?
I’m da Yooper, eh and I like to party...

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #7581 on: July 24, 2019, 04:01:41 am »
Congrats on getting your boney to America.

Have you been able to get a plate and tags yet?

Unfortunately not.

I need the original SA registration certificate, which the shipping company lost, along with all the other original documentation  :xxbah:

So trying to arrange to get a original copy, if I was in SA it would be easy, as you have to do it in person. So now trying to get it done through a third party, lots of paperwork, notarized letters, blah blah blah…

If I could find a frame locally with title I would just build everything over and be done, I found a frame on Ebay for $62 plus another $50 odd shipping, but no title, just bill of sale. Don't want to take that chance.

So for now it stands in my garage... patiently waiting.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #7582 on: July 24, 2019, 06:02:50 am »
Eish, can you not trailer it out to the countryside and ride some gravel roads?
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline hedleyj

« Reply #7583 on: July 24, 2019, 06:16:29 am »
My workshop is slowly coming together.

Still lots of projects that I do want to do. Like building a pipeline throughout the shop for compressed air, with outlets at each tool station so I can just plug a line in and blow stuff clean etc. and an outlet at the door for pumping up tires (lawnmower, trailer, wheelbarrow, etc.)

I also want to plumb in a line around the shed for the dust removal (read vacuum  :biggrin: ) system. I think a 2 inch pipe with a port at each tool station to suck up sawdust and dust to a central vacuum would be awesome  :biggrin:

Another thing that I want to do is build a solid workbench along the west wall (where the drill press stands) the full length of the wall. I want to have all my big tools (mitre saw, table saw) set into that bench in such a way that the length of the bench will be exactly at the correct level to support long planks that I want to cut. But they must also be removeable so that if I want to cut down full sheets of plywood I can take it outside and have the space to do stuff like that. An ambitious project, but I am already designing the plans in my head. I am going to need long supports one of these days when I start making the shelves for the study and the lounge...

Oh, and I still want to get some more insulation to finish off insulating the roof of the shed. I am 3/4 of the way done now, and it makes a big difference, but I do need to get the rest finished too to make it easier to work inside there in the summer.

Gary, check out “woodshop junkies” on you tube. Juan build an awesome small shop woodwork station. Whilst may not be what you are intending it may give you ideas.

Also when doing your airline, you can use pvc irrigation piping with compression fittings, it is much cheaper (by a huge factor)  and easier to install. I have used this in tyre dealers for years with great success.

On my shop vac I fitted a remote switch, with a delay on “off” time switch to it, this way i can switch on from which ever station i am at and when i switch off it continues for long enough to clear the pipes fully.

Beautiful shop you have got going there, keep it going Rome wasn’t built in a day 😎

Thanks Hedley  :thumleft:

1. I have been watching many of Juan's video's for a while now, seen all 6 (or so) of the vids on the workstation build. I have some ideas for mine based on his  :biggrin:

2. I have been advised not to use PVC pipe for the air lines. Schedule 40 PVC (1") is rated to around 400psi, irrigation PVC to around 200 psi I think. The problem comes in with age, the PVC deteriorates and when it decides to let go it can explode with pieces and fragments flying off at high speed. Should the pressure controller on the compressor malfunction then it could also burst with nasty effect. I will source some proper compressor line, I think Harbor Freight sells them in 50 foot lengths for around $20, and use that. Just to be safe.  :thumleft:

3. Please tell me more? I would love to have something like that, part number or similar? I'm sure that I can pick one up on Ebay for a low price...  :thumleft:

Hi Gary

On the pipe, my bad I should have said HDPE pipe not PVC. The HDPE works well into the low Mpa ranges Marley have a comprehensive manual on the product. I have used this for years in shops running as high as 12 bar or 1.2 Mpa, if a pipe ruptures it merely splits open without shattering

I will send you a pic of my heath robinson remote and delay timer set up

http://marleypipesystems.co.za/images/pdfdownloads/productbrochures/hdpe-pressure-pipe-manual.pdf

Ps you can look at LDPE pipe as well. Rated apparently to 12mpa tensile.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 06:35:49 am by hedleyj »
I'm sure the sun goes around the earth twice a day.

Online Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #7584 on: July 24, 2019, 06:48:34 am »
It's way past my bedtime but... a couple of things.

Re: the water issue. It's nasty. I've been using cold water as much as possible because that runs clear, and of course our reverse osmosis water for cooking, brushing teeth, water for the dogs, etc. But it's becoming unacceptable, so I'm glad it's being sorted. Mr. Zog's smelly clothes and my gym clothes don't come clean too well on a cold wash cycle, and of course the dishwasher uses hot, and showering in that sludge is disgusting. I'm showering cold as much as I can stand it.

The reason why I'm up past my bedtime is that I'm waiting for my night-blooming cereus to bloom. It's also called "Queen of the Night", it's a cactus. It was gifted to me when we were still at the old house, by our neighbor there who moved and couldn't take it with him. Of course I took it and transplanted it when we moved, and it seems I found a good spot for it. Despite being right in Maggie's favorite hunting place, it's doing well, even while being periodically trampled by two enthusiastic dogs.

Anyway. It blooms once a year, only for one night, and tonight's the night. Here are a couple of pics I just took. Not fully open yet, but getting there. If I can stay awake until it opens completely, I'll post another pic tomorrow.

:o :o :o

Hopefully next year this time you can point a time-delay phone or camera at it, and have a record of it. It's beautiful!!
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Oubones

« Reply #7585 on: July 24, 2019, 07:05:38 am »
Mrs Zog, that is amazing!
And so I learn about something new and see something I have never seen!
Thanks and I hope you stayed up for more pics!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Online Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #7586 on: July 24, 2019, 09:23:21 am »
Mrs Z, my son (the botanical fundi) also had a plant that flowers once at night and then dies.
He wasn't sure which night, so he stayed up for a few nights!

Mr Z - the water supply pipe to my house is HDPE 12bar.
I did a static pressure test at 02:00 one morning and the pressure at the tap was 11bar.

AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Vuurmaker

« Reply #7587 on: July 24, 2019, 11:08:31 am »
My workshop is slowly coming together.

Still lots of projects that I do want to do. Like building a pipeline throughout the shop for compressed air, with outlets at each tool station so I can just plug a line in and blow stuff clean etc. and an outlet at the door for pumping up tires (lawnmower, trailer, wheelbarrow, etc.)

I also want to plumb in a line around the shed for the dust removal (read vacuum  ) system. I think a 2 inch pipe with a port at each tool station to suck up sawdust and dust to a central vacuum would be awesome 

Another thing that I want to do is build a solid workbench along the west wall (where the drill press stands) the full length of the wall. I want to have all my big tools (mitre saw, table saw) set into that bench in such a way that the length of the bench will be exactly at the correct level to support long planks that I want to cut. But they must also be removeable so that if I want to cut down full sheets of plywood I can take it outside and have the space to do stuff like that. An ambitious project, but I am already designing the plans in my head. I am going to need long supports one of these days when I start making the shelves for the study and the lounge...

Oh, and I still want to get some more insulation to finish off insulating the roof of the shed. I am 3/4 of the way done now, and it makes a big difference, but I do need to get the rest finished too to make it easier to work inside there in the summer.

Gary, check out “woodshop junkies” on you tube. Juan build an awesome small shop woodwork station. Whilst may not be what you are intending it may give you ideas.

Also when doing your airline, you can use pvc irrigation piping with compression fittings, it is much cheaper (by a huge factor)  and easier to install. I have used this in tyre dealers for years with great success.

On my shop vac I fitted a remote switch, with a delay on “off” time switch to it, this way i can switch on from which ever station i am at and when i switch off it continues for long enough to clear the pipes fully.

Beautiful shop you have got going there, keep it going Rome wasn’t built in a day

Thanks Hedley  :thumleft:

1. I have been watching many of Juan's video's for a while now, seen all 6 (or so) of the vids on the workstation build. I have some ideas for mine based on his 

2. I have been advised not to use PVC pipe for the air lines. Schedule 40 PVC (1") is rated to around 400psi, irrigation PVC to around 200 psi I think. The problem comes in with age, the PVC deteriorates and when it decides to let go it can explode with pieces and fragments flying off at high speed. Should the pressure controller on the compressor malfunction then it could also burst with nasty effect. I will source some proper compressor line, I think Harbor Freight sells them in 50 foot lengths for around $20, and use that. Just to be safe.  :thumleft:

3. Please tell me more? I would love to have something like that, part number or similar? I'm sure that I can pick one up on Ebay for a low price...  :thumleft:

Hi Gary

On the pipe, my bad I should have said HDPE pipe not PVC. The HDPE works well into the low Mpa ranges Marley have a comprehensive manual on the product. I have used this for years in shops running as high as 12 bar or 1.2 Mpa, if a pipe ruptures it merely splits open without shattering

I will send you a pic of my heath robinson remote and delay timer set up

http://marleypipesystems.co.za/images/pdfdownloads/productbrochures/hdpe-pressure-pipe-manual.pdf

Ps you can look at LDPE pipe as well. Rated apparently to 12mpa tensile.

Cheers.
Correct

PVC is a no go for compressed air, Oatey glue even has a warning on their tins.

A word of caution on the HDPE for compressed air

Air is a gas and have different tolerences than water
Use class 16 or higher pipe

DO not use compression fittings(plasson type)
AGRU electrofusion is rated for air
They also make a compressed air system using either electrofusion or Agruair socket fusion fitting

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #7588 on: July 24, 2019, 12:23:24 pm »
Air is dangerous, in construction, if you needed to air test not water test piping or a vessel, you had to get the government inspectors permission and clear the site of all personnel not involved in the test, it’s a bomb. Legally every little compressor cylinder should be inspected every 3 years and certified, but it is no longer enforced.  :sip:
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7589 on: July 24, 2019, 06:02:31 pm »
Here are three pictures of the cereus in its full splendor. The last picture was a mistake, actually, but it 's still pretty.

The scent was unbelievable - a mixture of jasmine, orange blossom, and honeysuckle is the best way to describe it. It was powerful, it scented the entire part of the garden. I'm really happy to have seen it.

It was difficult to take the pictures. As soon as it was illuminated by either a flashlight or the camera flash, it wanted to close up. I guess that's why it's night-blooming.
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

The following users thanked this post: grizz, roxenz, Bergie, Sardine

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #7590 on: July 24, 2019, 06:09:55 pm »
Wow, beautiful!

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #7591 on: July 24, 2019, 07:08:14 pm »
Amazing!! Thanks for sharing this Mrs Z :thumleft:

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
« Reply #7592 on: July 24, 2019, 07:15:58 pm »
 :sip: Hi Mrs Zog,  Do you have info on what animals those exzotic scents would attract?
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #7593 on: July 24, 2019, 10:42:24 pm »
:sip: Hi Mrs Zog,  Do you have info on what animals those exzotic scents would attract?

Yes! In this case, I'm 99% sure that what I have is Epiphyllum oxypetalum It's native to Central and South America. It attracts and is pollinated by certain moths and small nectar-feeding bats  :)
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Online Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #7594 on: July 25, 2019, 03:24:19 am »
It was difficult to take the pictures. As soon as it was illuminated by either a flashlight or the camera flash, it wanted to close up. I guess that's why it's night-blooming.

:patch:
If (like that plant) you had to expose your reproductive bits to be fertilized by random passing insects,
you wouldn't want people taking flash photos either !   :eek7:
Being a plant is just so embarrassing...!  ::)
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Oubones

« Reply #7595 on: July 25, 2019, 04:20:57 am »
Very nice!
A shy plant! :imaposer:
Thanks for staying awake to take the pics and share with us!
Dakar 650
SR 500

Online Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #7596 on: July 25, 2019, 06:28:32 am »
Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!

How long did it take for the flower to fully open up? Does the flower die in the morning?
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline OomD

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #7597 on: July 25, 2019, 06:43:36 am »

Yes! In this case, I'm 99% sure that what I have is Epiphyllum oxypetalum It's native to Central and South America. It attracts and is pollinated by certain moths and small nectar-feeding bats  :)
How does the plant know a year has passed? Is it a fixed timeing thing? Or something in the environment that triggers it? For example, would the same plant in Australia bloom at roughly the same time of year?

Offline mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #7598 on: July 25, 2019, 07:32:57 am »
Queen of the Night  O0
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #7599 on: July 25, 2019, 08:13:51 am »

How does the plant know a year has passed? Is it a fixed timeing thing? Or something in the environment that triggers it? For example, would the same plant in Australia bloom at roughly the same time of year?

Good question....
We also have a cactus flower that flowers around November for one day (night actually) only - 3 years ago we had one flower, last year we had about 10 from the off-shoot plants (pretty sure there is a technical term for this that I dont know), they all flowered one at a time over about 2 weeks....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!