Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 941422 times)

Celbofs, RrP, Fudge and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mrs. Zog

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #8640 on: November 28, 2019, 06:36:07 pm »
@Welsh the storms do not affect us down here in tropical realms  :biggrin:
Please consider a donation to the GoFundMe account to help cover Zog Jr.'s air ticket for June 2020 and Mr. Zog's U.S. citizenship application fees: https://www.gofundme.com/us-citizenship-application-amp-air-ticket

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #8641 on: November 28, 2019, 07:18:05 pm »
@Welsh the storms do not affect us down here in tropical realms  :biggrin:

I just saw storms thought of Tom, its a bit like I know a person in  Windhoek, maybe you know them.... :peepwall:
A founding member of the Witwatersrand Anchor Society.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #8642 on: December 01, 2019, 03:38:22 am »
So, finally, it is done.  :sip:

It has been a bit of a nightmare getting all the documents etc. that I need, but I have finally got them all together.

And it seems that I may have just done it in the nick of time too... I heard on the radio today (and Mrs Zog confirmed with a quick google) that the application fees for Naturalization will be almost DOUBLING  :eek7:  very soon  :lamer:

So we sat this evening and completed the online application process. Filled out a massively long and detailed form online, uploaded reams of supporting documents, and paid the application fee with my Debit card.

And now we wait... I will keep y'all informed of the progress  :thumleft:

And again, a MASSIVE thank you to those that helped me get the money together via the GoFundMe account. Without all y'all's help I would not have been able to do this.  :ricky:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 03:39:10 am by Mr Zog »
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #8643 on: December 01, 2019, 05:36:34 am »
We shall have to ask TvB if you already speak 'merican.
You will have to work on your (mis)spelling though...  :P
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8644 on: December 01, 2019, 05:41:28 am »

Why he spelled Naturalisation wrong?  :sip:

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #8645 on: December 01, 2019, 06:22:45 am »

The 'mericans generally drop 'u' after 'o', use 'z' instead of 's' and 'i' instead of 'y' - why not always, I don't know though.
English is a complicated language in that it has adopted words and their spelling from other languages including Latin, Greek, French and German - even Norwegian and Afrikaans / Flemish / Dutch.  It tends to keep the spelling and pronunciation of the source language - which does cause confusion.

The rules I learned as a child like "I before E except after C" are in fact mostly WRONG as I later was made aware...
Even more confusing is that words can be spelled the same but pronounced differently - "Live your life" and "Live on stage"
(or the usual mistake on this forum of "choose" and "loose") or pronounced the same but spelled differently - sail and sale.

British spelling (Samuel Johnson dictionary) tends to acknowledge the word origin, whereas American spelling (Noah Webster dictionary) just tries to make it simpler to spell how they pronounce the word.

Hijack over.  ::)

The following users thanked this post: silvrav

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #8646 on: December 01, 2019, 06:47:38 am »

The 'mericans generally drop 'u' after 'o', use 'z' instead of 's' and 'i' instead of 'y' - why not always, I don't know though.
English is a complicated language in that it has adopted words and their spelling from other languages including Latin, Greek, French and German - even Norwegian and Afrikaans / Flemish / Dutch.  It tends to keep the spelling and pronunciation of the source language - which does cause confusion.

The rules I learned as a child like "I before E except after C" are in fact mostly WRONG as I later was made aware...
Even more confusing is that words can be spelled the same but pronounced differently - "Live your life" and "Live on stage"
(or the usual mistake on this forum of "choose" and "loose") or pronounced the same but spelled differently - sail and sale.

British spelling (Samuel Johnson dictionary) tends to acknowledge the word origin, whereas American spelling (Noah Webster dictionary) just tries to make it simpler to spell how they pronounce the word.

Yes, i know.  :sip:

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #8647 on: December 01, 2019, 08:35:50 am »

I read that as "Samuel L. Jackson dictionary".

Hey, another one. Read and read. Spelled the same but pronounced differently.
I like to read.
I read that incorrectly.

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #8648 on: December 01, 2019, 09:16:06 am »
...and while we're on the subject, brakes vs breaks

"My breaks need replacing" is a favourite  ???
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #8649 on: December 01, 2019, 10:24:02 am »

Have to agree on that one, but then I make mistakes frequently with the auto fil keyboard on my phone. I sometimes even get kind PM's which I actually appreciate (not always  :peepwall: ) by the spell police. If I like the tone of om and correction I reply, otherwise I laugh it off.
Fact is albeit not relevant to this threat; most of our Dutchies try real hard to do the English thing but not many try to do the Afrikaans thing. My English does not come easy, but it is getting better.

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #8650 on: December 01, 2019, 02:06:05 pm »

Have to agree on that one, but then I make mistakes frequently with the auto fil keyboard on my phone. I sometimes even get kind PM's which I actually appreciate (not always  :peepwall: ) by the spell police. If I like the tone of om and correction I reply, otherwise I laugh it off.
Fact is albeit not relevant to this threat; most of our Dutchies try real hard to do the English thing but not many try to do the Afrikaans thing. My English does not come easy, but it is getting better.

@Tom van Brits, I've found that many English speakers will laugh at the "Dutchies" as you put it, where the "Dutchies" baie keer die Souties reg help, sonder om te lag of fout vind.  Ek is Engels gebore, en twee keer Afrikaans getroud. Baie mense vra hoe ek wat "so Afrikaans is" met 'n Engelse van kan pronk... waar jn die verlede het ek ge-engels geraak...

Op skool was Afrikaans vir my nie maklik nie, want in Oos Londen het ek nie Boeremaatjies gehad nie. Baie keer kry ek myself dink en redeneer in Afrikaans, en ek kan myself BAIE beter uitdruk as in my moedertaal  :o :biggrin:

Ek respekteer mense wat probeer, al maak hulle fout. Sterkte, en welkom terug  :thumleft:

Apologies for the Afrikaans hi-jack... Tom had to be addressed in his mother-tongue out of respect!
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline silvrav

« Reply #8651 on: December 01, 2019, 08:39:39 pm »
Awesome Mr Zog  :thumleft: Holding thumbs!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8652 on: December 02, 2019, 01:43:03 am »
Let me test something...

:ricky:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 02:26:36 am by Mr Zog »
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8653 on: December 02, 2019, 02:49:04 am »
Ok, that seems to work.  :thumleft:  :ricky:

I have decided to use a picture hosting site (postimage) to post my pics. That way I can post a pic, give a description, post another pic, etc.

So bear with me, I'm not an IT geek, so this stuff is hard for me  :peepwall:

As y'all can see, I scored a lawnmower. Finally. A buddy of mine came over yesterday and dropped it off for me. Told me that he thought that all the fuel lines were rotten and needed replacing, and that it didn't run anymore. He didn't think that I could get it going again, even told me not to feel bad if I decided to scrap it and throw it away.

HA! He obviously doesn't know the tenacity of Mr Zog  :pot:  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

So this morning after coffee, chores, and a slow start to the day, I lifted the dead mower up onto a table (it was effing heavy man  :eek7: ) and got to work.

The mower is an older Craftsman 6.5 HP with a Briggs & Stratton 4-stroke engine.

I gave the pull-start a tug and the mower engine turned over. A good sign  :biggrin:

I checked to see if there was any fuel in it, and saw that the gas cap was broken.

The engine was also very dirty, so I decided to give it a good blow-off with the compressor line before delving any deeper and getting kak into the insides of the engine.

Having removed the plastic cover off the top you can see all the accumulated shit  :patch:

The air filter was also very dirty  :o

Having removed the air filter housing you can see just how dirty the inside of the carb is. That yellow colour is actually a varnish that forms from the ethanol fuel used in it.  :deal:  It coats everything internally and continues to build up inside the ports and jets and stuff until the carb just cannot supply the engine with an air-fuel mix conducive to internal combustion :sip:  This is what "kills" most of the gas-powered garden equipment over here.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8654 on: December 02, 2019, 03:22:44 am »
I dropped the float bowl off the bottom of the carb. It just has a single bolt that holds it on from the bottom.

But this isn't just any old bolt. The "bolt" is also the main jet.

Inside the float bowl (which was very yellow and dirty) I also found a little round disc floating around. Remember this disc, it's important, I'll get back to it later  :thumleft:

The float was very gunky, but it did move the needle in the seat, so that was another good sign.  :thumleft:

It was at this point that I knew for sure that the carb would HAVE to come off and get properly cleaned. So I removed the two bolts holding it on and unhooked the throttle linkage. While unhooking the throttle linkage I noticed that the throttle butterfly was completely jammed in the closed position from the deposited gunk from the fuel.  :eek7:

This mower is a "budget" mower, and as such it doesn't have a choke, and the throttle butterfly and it's shaft are just plastic. Any forcing of the butterfly would result in breaking it.

Back to the little flat disc I found inside the float bowl. This is actually a plug that closes off one of the passages inside the carb. It had fallen out. See below, I am pointing to the spot inside the carb where it is supposed to fit.

Since the last time I "cooked" some carb parts inside a tin with lemon juice inside Mrs Zog's kitchen, on HER stove, and made a smelly mess, I have been banned from doing that again (unless she isn't home and doesn't find out  :peepwall: ). So I had to invest in a tin of this stuff. It is a really good solution for soaking parts in, it is a steel tin about 3 liters, and even has a steel basket inside it that you can put your parts into so you can get them out again easily.

I put all the carb bits into the basket, and dropped the basket into the tin  :sip:

While that was busy "stewing" I got busy with some of the other stuff I wanted to check.

I removed the plastic fuel tank to get access to the starter pulley. I needed to check the shut-off connection.

Some background. When you want to start this (and most other push-type mowers in this country) you have to squeeze a bar against the handle of the mower. This prevents the stupid people from starting the mower and then putting their hands under the deck to see if the blades are spinning. Unless you have very long arms it is impossible to reach under the mower deck while holding the bar. The moment you release the bar a connection is made which grounds the coil and kills the engine. A brake pad also rubs onto the flywheel and stops the engine turning very quickly. See pics below...

The external parts of the shut-off...

This is the shut-off with the points connected

and the shut-off with the points open (engine running)

And this is the "brake pad" that stops the engine spinning after the coil has been grounded.

The coil sits at the front of this engine, and a couple of excitors on the flywheel energise it at just the right time so it can give a spark to the spark plug. The rust on the pick-ups was pretty bad, as you can see.

I gave the whole circumference of the flywheel a rub with some 400 - grit sandpaper to get the worst of the rust off.

Then it was time to wash away many years of accumulated grease and oil and shit.  The black bottle is a degreaser that I bought from Home Depot a long time ago. It is a pinky-colour, and smells just like Prepsolů  ::)  :biggrin:  I diluted it 50% with water in a spray bottle and gave the engine a liberal dousing. I just plugged off the intake manifold with a cloth.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8655 on: December 02, 2019, 03:47:09 am »
After spraying the mower all over, and using a stiff paint brush to loosen up the really bad stuff, I rinsed everything off with the hose.

Maggie came over to do some quality control and to make sure that all the rats and lizards and stuff were gone  :biggrin:

After leaving the mower to dry in the sun while I had lunch and called the family back home, I blew the last of the water off it with the compressor, then wheeled it back inside and lifted it back up onto the table. It was still pretty damn heavy  :peepwall:

I removed the little spark plug. It didn't seem to be in too bad a condition, but I gave it a bit of a cleaning with some carb cleaner and then blew it off with the air anyway. Then I put the plug into its holder, set it against the side of the engine, held the safety bar in place with a clamp  :peepwall:  :imaposer: , and gave the engine a spin with my drill. I used a socket on the crank-bolt to spin the engine and checked that the plug had spark. It did  :ricky:

By this time the carb had been soaking for around two hours in the Gunk. So I pulled it out, sprayed all the bits clean with carb cleaner, then blew all the passages, jets, etc. out with the compressor.

It came out really well. No more "varnish" deposits, and the throttle butterfly was completely loose again. Lekker  :biggrin:

I put the little disc in where it belonged, and gave it a gentle love-tap with a centre-punch to flatten it out a bit and make sure that it was not going to fall out again.

I put everything back together again. I didn't find a fuel line that was rotted as I was told by my buddy. But I did lose the gasket between the carb and the air filter housing. It was completely brittle and fell apart.

I put some ethanol-free fuel into the tank, primed the carb up, and pulled the started cord.

After the third pull it started up  :ricky:

There are no settings that I can change on the carb, it is the very basic model. So I just manually tweaked the throttle (the throttle is controlled by the governor, as the engine starts to labour while cutting the governor (a set of flyweights) adjusts the throttle accordingly. It ran really well, so I used it to mow a couple of strips on the lawn. It cuts really well, the blade is still very good, and sharp, and it runs true.  :ricky:

So I guess that this mower won't be going into the recycle dump just yet. I will get a new fuel cap for it, and a new gasket for the air filter housing. I'll also get another air filter. I did blow the old one out, but it is done, fubar. And then this mower can move on to greener pastures. The fuel cap, the gasket, and the air filter will cost me less than $20 on Ebay. And I'm guessing I can sell it off for around $70.

So for a couple of hours work, minimal input, and a whole lot of fun learning about how this mower works, I should make around $50 profit  :biggrin:  :ricky:

I call that a WIN  :thumleft:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #8656 on: December 02, 2019, 03:54:13 am »
After I put the little mower away I took out my big ride-on mower and cut the grass.

I was about 10 minutes from finished when Mrs Zog called me in. I had a call-out  :xxbah:

So I took all the details, then finished mowing my grass  :ricky:

I headed over to the house that didn't have any water. Their pump wasn't running because the capacitor had died. A very simple and quick-fix  :biggrin:

But the biggest bargain was that I picked up another mower that someone had thrown away!

This one is a BIGGIE! It's a Murray (apparently a good make) self-propelled mower with a 190cc Briggs & Stratton engine. I loaded it into the back of my work van, and took it home. It was time to wind the day down when I finally got home, so I just pushed it into the workshop where it can sit until I get some more time to have a look at it. But now before I took a couple of pics for y'all  O0

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #8657 on: December 02, 2019, 05:15:28 am »
Mooi so maat !
(We don't want you to forget your heritage.)

So where is the afdak going? 
You need to park all these grassnyers you score while you fix them up...  :sip:

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #8658 on: December 02, 2019, 07:57:37 am »
Carb is looking OK but not as great.  Lemon juice cooking would have given it that NEW look. :peepwall: :pot: :laughing4:
Time to invest in a small hotplate that you can cook it inside the shed.
 Jy is nou mos 'n Professional grassnyer mechanic, doen die job behoorlik :imaposer:

Jy gaan baie geld maak want daar is baie stupid ouens daar buite met 10 duime. :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #8659 on: December 02, 2019, 08:09:04 am »
Nice score!! And fantastic job on the first mower, it looks great :thumleft:
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase