Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1110621 times)

Offline immigrant

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #9180 on: March 25, 2020, 01:07:22 am »
Stick to your $50.....for now. He will tell all his friends about you. Charge them a little more. I bought a brand new Suzuki 70cc from a guy for dirt cheap that figured the engine was hooped. And all it needed was a carb clean. A friend bought a brand new self propelled Honda mower from a guy that said he cannot get it to run after mowing for 2 hours. Buddy took it home and poured some petrol in. And what do you know, it fired right up  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:12:20 am by immigrant »
Yamaha Super Tenere, Yamaha FZ8, Yamaha Grizzly, Yamaha Viking, Honda CRF250L

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #9181 on: March 25, 2020, 01:34:09 am »
Why not charge him 15-20 per hour and also the materials cost? That would still be a massive bargain? How many hours did it take you? Don't undersell you time and skills....

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Those are Cool Little bikes.
A good few years ago I bought my kids those before we moved onto the Yammie pw50 and PW80's
I remember also having to clean the carbs etc etc.
Well done!!
I agree with Pumbaa charge an hourly rate he will be happy to pay it! ( I would be happy to pay it)

Stick to your $50.....for now. He will tell all his friends about you. Charge them a little more. I bought a brand new Suzuki 70cc from a guy for dirt cheap that figured the engine was hooped. And all it needed was a carb clean. A friend bought a brand new self propelled Honda mower from a guy that said he cannot get it to run after mowing for 2 hours. Buddy took it home and poured some petrol in. And what do you know, it fired right up  :imaposer:

The guy that I did the job for is legally blind. He is on a fixed income from his disability grant. He tries really hard to give his kids as much as he can. I can't charge him a whole bunch, I just can't.

But as Immigrant said, maybe he will tell his friends and I can charge them a bit more.  :thumleft:

This afternoon after work I loaded up the little scoot and delivered it back to the dude. He was really happy, his wife wrote me a cheque for $50 that I deposited straight into the bank at the ATM.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9182 on: March 25, 2020, 01:44:11 am »
I know that the lockdown in SA is going to be really kak for most of you guys and girls.

Some will lose their jobs, some will lose their companies. Hopefully none of you will lose your lives, or have a close loved one die.

Things here are getting progressively worse. We have had a massive influx the last couple of weeks from people living in New York and New Jersey, which is currently a super hot-spot for the virus. People trying to get away from it. Unfortunately bringing it here with them.

Our Governor has made an executive order that all people arriving at our airports from NY and NJ will be checked out, their details taken, and they are ordered to self-quarantine for 14 days. They will be checking up on them...  :deal:

The next county over, Orange County, where Orlando is situated, has just issued a mandatory "stay at home" notice. Very much like the lockdown y'all are getting on Thursday. Our County has so far resisted such a move.

If that does happen, then I will lose a shitload of income. We will only be allowed to do "emergency" work like fixing people's water pumps if they have no water to their houses. Or severe water leaks etc.  My boss is not compelled to pay me if that happens, only for the actual hours that I do work. It will make our existence here incredibly difficult.

But we will get by somehow... just like y'all will  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: Rynet

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #9183 on: March 25, 2020, 04:46:20 am »

I found this house. I tried to go ring the doorbell to see if I could chat to the owner, but a dude with a big gun and Ray Bans and an earphone said no. I just wanted to ask for a glass of water, all that riding was making me very thirsty.  :peepwall:

:laughing4: :laughing4:

In the 80's my brother met up with me while I was living in the states and hitch hiked around and took Greyhound buses.  We did a tour inside the While House.
As we went through security , they said you have a weapon so I said oh yes that is probably my nail file but they insisted on opening our back backs and out came a 40 cm knife that we both forgot about. We were mortified to have that happen where the President lives . We had both clean forgot about the knife.  :-[

I had to convince the security it was used just for cutting bread.  They looked skeptical but I showed them the bread crumbs so they accepted it. :imaposer:

They borrowed the knife while we did the tour. Today we would probably have been locked up for doing that.

PS Thanks Mr Zog for da pics and write up of your visit to the Embassy and it was enjoyable and funny about the woman at the counter . Good you had success. Mrs Zog is a mine of information and good tips  :3some:

Congrats on your Versity  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #9184 on: March 25, 2020, 07:24:59 am »

This afternoon after work I loaded up the little scoot and delivered it back to the dude. He was really happy, his wife wrote me a cheque for $50 that I deposited straight into the bank at the ATM.

Good on you, Zog.

They borrowed the knife while we did the tour. Today we would probably have been locked up for doing that.

That is funny. Definitely would have been a lot worse today, much like our fruit raiding as kids.

Offline Pumbaa

« Reply #9185 on: March 25, 2020, 09:33:57 am »
Why not charge him 15-20 per hour and also the materials cost? That would still be a massive bargain? How many hours did it take you? Don't undersell you time and skills....

Those are Cool Little bikes.
A good few years ago I bought my kids those before we moved onto the Yammie pw50 and PW80's
I remember also having to clean the carbs etc etc.
Well done!!
I agree with Pumbaa charge an hourly rate he will be happy to pay it! ( I would be happy to pay it)

The guy that I did the job for is legally blind. He is on a fixed income from his disability grant. He tries really hard to give his kids as much as he can. I can't charge him a whole bunch, I just can't.

But as Immigrant said, maybe he will tell his friends and I can charge them a bit more.  :thumleft:

Ah, ok. I can understand that.

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #9186 on: March 25, 2020, 11:32:42 am »
People trying to get away from it. Unfortunately bringing it here with them.

Same happening in our town too. Stillbay looks like holiday season!! Campsites have been closed though. Saw lots of caravans pull out yesterday.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9187 on: March 25, 2020, 04:27:05 pm »
Scenes from isolation...

Online Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #9188 on: March 25, 2020, 06:21:28 pm »
I know that the lockdown in SA is going to be really kak for most of you guys and girls.

Some will lose their jobs, some will lose their companies. Hopefully none of you will lose your lives, or have a close loved one die.

Things here are getting progressively worse. We have had a massive influx the last couple of weeks from people living in New York and New Jersey, which is currently a super hot-spot for the virus. People trying to get away from it. Unfortunately bringing it here with them.

Our Governor has made an executive order that all people arriving at our airports from NY and NJ will be checked out, their details taken, and they are ordered to self-quarantine for 14 days. They will be checking up on them...  :deal:

The next county over, Orange County, where Orlando is situated, has just issued a mandatory "stay at home" notice. Very much like the lockdown y'all are getting on Thursday. Our County has so far resisted such a move.

If that does happen, then I will lose a shitload of income. We will only be allowed to do "emergency" work like fixing people's water pumps if they have no water to their houses. Or severe water leaks etc.  My boss is not compelled to pay me if that happens, only for the actual hours that I do work. It will make our existence here incredibly difficult.

But we will get by somehow... just like y'all will  :thumleft:

Gary, the fitness industry has turned to online training.
You can do the same. Just like the video you made the other day to help me out.
Film what you do, save and catalogue the videos. And sell them to people for a small fee. Just short, 5min whatsapp videos. Make them while you do your odd jobs at home so that you arenít actually taking extra time out of your day.

Yes, we can Youtube stuff, but you have such a good way of explaining things.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9189 on: March 26, 2020, 03:42:33 am »
It's official.

My son will not be travelling to visit me during June.

We are hoping that he will be able to come in December, if this is all over by then.

I'm gutted.  :'(

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #9190 on: March 26, 2020, 04:19:22 am »
So sorry to hear that Gary and Alex, strongs! 

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #9191 on: March 26, 2020, 06:08:08 am »
sad news indeed.  :'(
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."ó Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #9192 on: March 26, 2020, 06:49:00 am »
It's official.
We are hoping that he will be able to come in December, if this is all over by then.

EISHH !  :(

Sorry swaer...!
We all  know what that boykie means to you.
This is a unique time in human history.
What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
Moet hou!
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #9193 on: March 26, 2020, 07:00:00 am »
That's shit
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #9194 on: March 26, 2020, 07:30:56 am »
It's official.

Sorry man! Really tough, but you already suspected it. Now you have confirmation. And it is a postponement as opposed to a cancellation.
Sterkte Pa!
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #9195 on: March 26, 2020, 08:03:55 am »
Stay strong. Maybe this will open the door for a much better / longer visit end of the year...
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9196 on: March 26, 2020, 03:39:23 pm »
Mr. Zog just called me to say that Zog Jr.'s passport application was submitted to Home Affairs today. I know that nothing much will happen as far as processing over the next few weeks, but at least it's in.  :thumleft:

While Mr. Zog's work is slowing down, my work is increasing. Both of my clients are asking me to take extra work, and I'm taking as much as I possibly can to make up the shortfall from Mr. Zog. I suppose that is a tiny silver lining: my work is in medical research, and that is only going to increase in the coming weeks. I have job security because of all this. Sad but true. I actually had to turn work away yesterday, I'm going full speed and can only do so much.

Other than that, I'm doing a 30-day yoga challenge, and it is... definitely challenging. I've been doing yoga on and off for years, but I'm up for something more difficult. @Sardine inspires me with her thread every day. No time like the present, right? 45-60 minutes every morning gets me going before I fry my brain with biochemistry.

My yoga buddy, Mr. Sam, is also enthusiastic. When I roll out my yoga mat in the morning, he's on it before I'm done unrolling it. He stays on it for the duration. He's very good at "upward dog", "downward dog", and especially "sleeping dog."  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Rynet, Sardine

Offline Pumbaa

« Reply #9197 on: March 26, 2020, 06:24:48 pm »
It's official.

Sorry to hear that. It is the same for is here in NL. My wife's mom and dad were due to visit in May. They had to cancel that too. A real cock up. I feel your pain

Offline Pumbaa

« Reply #9198 on: March 26, 2020, 06:30:35 pm »
Mr. Zog just called me to say that Zog Jr.'s passport application was submitted to Home Affairs today. I know that nothing much will happen as far as processing over the next few weeks, but at least it's in.  :thumleft:

While Mr. Zog's work is slowing down, my work is increasing. Both of my clients are asking me to take extra work, and I'm taking as much as I possibly can to make up the shortfall from Mr. Zog. I suppose that is a tiny silver lining: my work is in medical research, and that is only going to increase in the coming weeks. I have job security because of all this. Sad but true. I actually had to turn work away yesterday, I'm going full speed and can only do so much.

Other than that, I'm doing a 30-day yoga challenge, and it is... definitely challenging. I've been doing yoga on and off for years, but I'm up for something more difficult. @Sardine inspires me with her thread every day. No time like the present, right? 45-60 minutes every morning gets me going before I fry my brain with biochemistry.

My yoga buddy, Mr. Sam, is also enthusiastic. When I roll out my yoga mat in the morning, he's on it before I'm done unrolling it. He stays on it for the duration. He's very good at "upward dog", "downward dog", and especially "sleeping dog."  ;D
My wife does the yoga classes from 'Yoga with Adriene' on YouTube. She really enjoys that.

The following users thanked this post: Rynet

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9199 on: March 26, 2020, 06:36:07 pm »
Yoga with Adriene - yep, it's what I'm doing!  :thumleft: