Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1142364 times)

mox and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mrs. Zog

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #9720 on: June 25, 2020, 02:13:19 am »
Ah well, send us a pic of him and the snake slayer anyway...

Oh ok then.

1. The takkie snake slayer

2. The plush toy gator slayer  ::)

The following users thanked this post: BigEd

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #9721 on: June 25, 2020, 02:32:16 am »
Oh the disappointment showing in the eyes of the croc-slayer...

"You're not really going to post this are you?"
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #9722 on: June 25, 2020, 02:40:07 am »
Ok, I've been working like a demon, and also doing a little bit on the boat each evening.

Regarding the trenching; yes I do use a trencher on occasion. I rent one from the Home Depot, costs about $150 for the day. So I only use it where I really have to. Tomorrows job the trenching is in places where the trencher just will not work; along the top of a dirt wall / berm / side of a pond. A slip to the wrong side and a $7000 trencher goes for a swim, other side it will probably roll over and get badly damaged. Maybe even hurting me in the process. Also lots of ups and downs... so it will be hand-dug. I'll have a helper for the digging though, so that will be great. But the killer will be, as Tom said, the heat and the humidity. Temps approaching 40 deg C, and extremely high humidity. Zero to very little breeze. And all the work tomorrow will be in the sun, so I'll take my pop-up gazebo with me. Hope it helps.

I have finally attached the transom to the boat this evening. Both sides of both pieces of marine ply got two good coats of epoxy that dried correctly - rock hard!  :biggrin:  I applied a good dose of the 3M 5200 sealant to the inside of each piece of ply, then stuck them against the transom. Oh, I also applied an extra bead all along each edge of the ply for added safety. Then I squeezed the two sheets of ply together, sandwiching the aluminium transom sheet with 22 bolts. The 5200 sealant squeezed out along 100% of the perimeter, showing me that I had achieved complete sealing along the edge. Then each bolt got a dab of the same on the head, along the shaft, and under the washer at the nut end. Complete sealing at each through-bolt. So I am confident that no water can infiltrate my wooden transom, and I am cautiously optimistic that I will have no leaks from that area.

The 5200 clean-up was another story. I used acetone to clean off my spanner and hammer and driver, but the mess on the transom will have to wait until another day. That shit is sticky as hell, and it resists cleaning. Maybe when it dries completely I can get it off more easily... Otherwise I may just paint over it  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Tomorrow I'll take an extra cooler box along with ice and water and Gatorade. I already have my hat in the work van. Not looking forward to this one. But hey, it's work, right?  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #9723 on: June 25, 2020, 08:29:03 am »
Sounds like your boat is sorted now in the normal Zog efficient way!
Good luck on that trenching, but take care with yourself!
It is good that you know,and do wahat you need to to stop yourself dehydrating.
Dakar 650
SR 500

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9724 on: June 26, 2020, 03:40:02 pm »
Oh the disappointment showing in the eyes of the croc-slayer...

"You're not really going to post this are you?"

Sammy tends to have a facial expression like he thinks he's about to be beaten... which he also uses to great effect to shame you into feeding him treats.  ;D

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9725 on: June 28, 2020, 02:17:52 am »
I finally finished off the transom on the boat today.

Well, sort of. The paint is still drying, it's taking forever with the very high humidity...  :peepwall:

I am also busy manufacturing a "center console" for the boat, using some offcuts from the sheet of marine ply and some 1/4 inch plywood. The battery will be stored in the bottom, and the electrical switches (Fishfinder, Nav lights, bilge pump) will be mounted inside it as well. It will also house the fire extinguisher, and will be a mounting point for the big umbrella to keep the sun off me while fishing. I'll take some pics of the progress tomorrow...

Speaking of the humidity, we have a massive Saharan dust cloud over us at the moment, that is causing very hazy skies, and is creating a sort of "greenhouse" effect, raising the temps and the humidity. Temps have been in the high 30's, but with the humidity we have been having relative temps (feels-like temps) into the 40's. Very uncomfortable outside. Thank goodness for aircon, both in the house and the work van  :o

These conditions are expected to last for about another week, but on the plus side (there is a plus side?) it also means that the dust keeps the formation of hurricanes at bay  :lol8:

edit: forgot to add the pics of completed transom  :lamer:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 02:41:16 am by Mr Zog »
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #9726 on: June 28, 2020, 08:56:16 am »
That looks good :thumleft:
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #9727 on: June 28, 2020, 11:46:54 am »
That transom looks very neat, in true Zogging style.

Strongs with the heat and remaining hydrated, Mr Z.
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9728 on: June 29, 2020, 04:58:33 am »
Today I got the engine back on, the PVC pipe frame around the top, the bilge pump refitted, and the fishfinder transducer installed.

You can also see the wooden seat box that supports the seat.

I have the pop-up gazebo over the boat to work in the shade, you'll also notice that I was too lazy to move it all today, I just mowed around it  :peepwall:

I am almost done with the center console box, then I'll install it and route all the wiring to it.

Just a few more days work on that one.  :biggrin:

Remember I told you about the heat and the Saharan dust cloud and stuff? Well this was the temp today at 7am. And it just got better from there  :o  Check that humidity level  :eek7:

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #9729 on: June 29, 2020, 08:16:58 am »
Shit. 100% humidity...! :eek:
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Online CruiserBMW

• Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
« Reply #9730 on: June 29, 2020, 09:04:42 pm »
The boat repairs look good hope you can test it soon ,how is the bike built going

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #9731 on: June 29, 2020, 09:50:26 pm »
Shit. 100% humidity...! :eek:
... and dewpoint is 24C.
Turn on the airconditioner and it will rain inside.

Offline Imvubu

« Reply #9732 on: June 29, 2020, 09:57:29 pm »
Damn Gary, I've just recently discovered this thread, and despite it making me feel really lazy and unproductive (at least I can blame the unproductive bit on you and Mrs Zog for now) :biggrin: I'm enthralled. So chuffed that you guys are well, and holding up.

On page 262 so far, and Trish is wondering why I'm working so late.  I'm considered high risk, so still working from home as much as possible.

Just had to drop in here and say how lekker it is to hear about you both, and say that you're in our thoughts.

Please don't hesitate to shout if there's anything I can help with.

The following users thanked this post: grizz, Mr Zog, Mrs. Zog

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9733 on: June 30, 2020, 02:20:12 am »
@Imvubu , so great to see you here! I think the last time I saw you in was at your place for an afternoon braai, and Mr. Zog was in Lesotho, so Brian M. came along with me... shortly before we moved to the US? I hope you're doing well!  :biggrin:

Otherwise...

I felt so incredibly stupid today. After 12 YEARS of doing this work, I finally figured out how fix something in MS Word that has been pissing me off every. single. day. And it never even occurred to me to Google it either. I just stumbled across the solution today. I feel so extremely dumb.

I'm tired is my excuse, and I'm sticking to it. I took a huge pile of extra work this weekend. The pay will be awesome when I get it, but I'm not going to do that again anytime soon. It was brutal. They paid me above and beyond for the work to be done on time. I wouldn't have done it for normal pay.

It's a long weekend this weekend, and I already said I'm not taking a single shred of extra work. I earned my 3 days off this week.  ;D

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #9734 on: June 30, 2020, 02:34:58 am »
Hi Mrs Z.

So what was the tip...?

I accidentally learned how to get data in a cell in an Excel spreadsheet to wrap where I want it to...

Press ALT+Enter and it wraps into a new line inside the cell.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9735 on: June 30, 2020, 03:07:08 am »
Yep, that one I know. There's also a button at the top that says "Wrap text."  :thumleft:

I learned how to exclude a portion of text from spellcheck. All I have to do is run spellcheck, stop when I reach the part I want to exclude, and then place the cursor where I want to resume. This took me 12 years to figure out.

I feel like  :lamer:

:imaposer:

Offline Ri

• Bikermouse
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
« Reply #9736 on: June 30, 2020, 04:22:55 am »
Eish, Mrs Z.... But you probably know all the MS Word shortcut keys by heart.

One of my employers regularly asked me to make a list of the shortcut keys, but after he "lost" it the 2nd time, I didn't bother again.

I don't miss MS Word at all (especially not with that frikkin "ribbon" at the top) but I do miss knowing all the shortcut keys. I've been very lax learning them in Apple  :-[
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3,190.23 - R1,600 for steel purchase

The following users thanked this post: BigEd

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #9737 on: June 30, 2020, 08:11:12 am »
@Ri I found this website called "On Windows I used to..." - no I don't have the link anymore and google is both our friends - it was the quickest way to get going in Apple.

@Mrs. Zog - thanks for that tip...
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

The following users thanked this post: Ri

Offline Imvubu

« Reply #9738 on: June 30, 2020, 02:28:59 pm »
@Imvubu , so great to see you here! I think the last time I saw you in was at your place for an afternoon braai, and Mr. Zog was in Lesotho, so Brian M. came along with me... shortly before we moved to the US? I hope you're doing well!  :biggrin:

100% right. Very chuffed to have found this thread. I'm catching up.  :biggrin:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9739 on: June 30, 2020, 04:03:34 pm »
Ok, so here's one for you. Long story, will condense.

Our neighbor across the street, L., is a single lady. You may recall Mr. Zog fixed her toilet for her a while ago, broke the cistern lid, and made her a new one. She has an on/off relationship with this guy called M. She's kicked him out and taken him back 3 times since we moved in.

L. lost her job a couple of months ago (not COVID-related). She found herself unable to pay the mortgage on her house, so decided to move in with M, who lives a few streets away with his two daughters, their children, and the boyfriend of one of the daughters. In turn, the two daughters, the toddlers, and the boyfriend moved into L.'s house and are paying the mortgage that L. can no longer afford. So now we have the whole f*cking tribe across the street. It's not nice.

But wait. There's more.

Yesterday I got a call from L.: "Hiiiiii... how you're doiiiiiiingg....." Chit chat trying to get to the point. Turns out that the kids have stuffed up the septic system by flushing Dog-knows what crap down the toilet. It's a septic system. Your contributions and toilet paper only. So the toilet was backing up, shit overflowing all over the place. She honestly had the nerve to ask me if Mr. Zog can fix it. For free. Because she has no money. Because she lost her job. And she isn't going to stoop to working at McDonald's or the supermarket to make ends meet. Because, you know. That's not her thing. So I said no. Just flat out no. Not even sorry. "Ok. Thanks. Bye."  She was pissed off. THE F*CKING NERVE.

I was working in the study so I had a prime view. A few minutes later M. arrived in his work truck. Screaming. Shouting. Door slamming. Tires squealing. Toddlers wailing. Then L. arrived. More of the same. Eventually a plumber arrived. And he worked late, late into the evening. I can only imagine what it cost them.

I thought it was a bit too much to ask Mr. Zog to fix their septic system. For free. After work. He's not the neighborhood plumber.

And you know what. If I ever lose this contract, I'll darn well do whatever work I can get. I've worked fast food to pay bills, I've cleaned rooms in a hotel as a maid. I've worked in a shop in the mall until I found a better job. Granted this was a long time ago, but hey. My point being, you do what you have to.