Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1232111 times)

Offline Mrs. Zog

Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #9900 on: August 03, 2020, 02:22:30 pm »
And that is Isaias done and dusted. We had nothing overnight at all, no rain, no wind. It fizzled out.

Next on the list would be Josephine...  :sip:

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #9901 on: August 03, 2020, 05:54:42 pm »
And that is Isaias done and dusted. We had nothing overnight at all, no rain, no wind. It fizzled out.

She sounds nice.  >:D
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9902 on: August 03, 2020, 06:18:47 pm »
Somewhere down the list is "Nana." I just have a feeling that's the one that will f*ck us up.

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #9903 on: August 03, 2020, 11:09:08 pm »
Somewhere down the list is "Nana." I just have a feeling that's the one that will f*ck us up.
So how do they do it, do they pick a bunch of female names at the beginning of the year and then they name them as they come along and if all names are not used they are used the following year?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9904 on: August 03, 2020, 11:17:51 pm »
In a nutshell...

They have six lists of alternating male and female names, excluding names starting with Q, U, X, Y, and Z . They recycle after 6 years, so the 2020 list of names will be used again in 2026. If there is a particularly devastating storm, that name is retired.

If one list starts with a female name, the next list starts with a male name. This year's starter was Arthur, and so next year's starter will be female (Ana). 

Also, if it's a bad season, and there aren't enough names on the list, they start using Greek letters. Not sure if that's ever happened.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 11:30:36 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #9905 on: August 03, 2020, 11:20:13 pm »
In a nutshell...

They have six lists of alternating male and female names, excluding names starting with Q, U, X, Y, and Z . They recycle after 6 years, so the 2020 list of names will be used again in 2026. If there is a particularly devastating storm, that name is retired.
Thanks for explaining that Mrs.Z. :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #9906 on: August 04, 2020, 02:13:43 am »

I used to have a cat called Josephine. She started off as Joseph, with the amazing technicolour dreamcoat. But after the first visit to the vet she became Josephine  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Josephine had a very kak attitude, and would regularly fuck me up from under the bed, or jump on me while I was sleeping... I have a bad feeling about Josephine   :sip:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9907 on: August 04, 2020, 02:15:19 am »
I would say that the kids in Florida lead interesting, exciting lives....  :imaposer:

This is a life-size statue at the entrance to an upmarket shopping complex  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9908 on: August 04, 2020, 02:35:01 am »
So the short story is that Isaias was a non-event for us.

But right now he is still heading up the East coast of the US and is expected to strengthen back into a hurricane this evening, and then he will go fuck up some shit in North Carolina.

We had some wind gusts around maybe 50MPH, and there was less than an inch in the rain gauge.

So what does a SAFFER do when all the preparations are done, and the storm still hasn't arrived yet?

Yup, he goes fishing  :imaposer:

I went down to the local pond Friday evening and threw a line in. I did manage to get one small bass.

Saturday morning I did the mowing, thinking that I wouldn't get another chance the weekend. Then I did some more work on the Toblerones outrigger floats.

Both of them had the top side layer of fiberglass cloth already added, so I sanded them down nice and smooth, then I cut the cloth for the bottom of the first one.

Some may be wondering why I call the fiberglass by different names at times? Well, that is because you get different types of fiberglass. I used chopped-strand mat for joining the bits of plywood together, then the outside cladding was with a woven fiberglass cloth. The shopped strand mat is good for getting into tight corners and strange shapes, but the woven cloth is a lot better for cladding and structural strength. Or so I have been told anyway  :peepwall:

Then I mixed up a batch of epoxy resin with the brown colourant, and started applying the cloth to the plywood. Even using the slow-setting hardener I still played safe and mixed a few smaller batches of epoxy, rather than mix one large batch and have it set up in the cup.

On the leading edges I also added a second layer of cloth and epoxy, just to give that little bit extra strength and durability.

I did the second outrigger on Sunday, and left them to set up properly. Later Sunday evening I made up a small batch of thickened, coloured, epoxy and filled in some gaps and bubbles and stuff...

Then while that was drying I decided to sharpen all my chisels. I didn't plan it, but I saw one blunt chisel, and shit just snowballed from there  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

This week I will sand down the epoxy and fiberglass applied over the weekend, then I will apply a final coat of (possibly) slightly thickened coloured epoxy as a top-coat to ensure waterproofness  :lol8:

Next weekend I am on standby again, so there will be no fishing then, so no need to rush the job. The finishing off is always just as important as the preparation.

They won't ever look like some professionally made jobbies, but they will be strong, and they should be waterproof. That is all I want. smooth and sexy will just be a bonus  :spitcoffee:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9909 on: August 04, 2020, 02:41:45 am »
The last couple of weeks I did two big jobs for a dude, and he tipped me with two $20 Amazon gift cards.

Now I don't have an Amazon account, but Mrs Zog does, so I gave her the gift cards.

She used them to buy this set of new glass-bottomed lock-lock food containers.

We are still using the same old plastic set that we brought over from SA over 4 years ago, and they have seen better days now. So they will be relegated to the workshop for me to keep kak in  :biggrin:

This set is glass bottomed, and they are dishwasher safe, microwave safe, oven safe (the bottoms, not the lids), and freezer safe. So hopefully they give us a good life like the old ones from Mr Price Home did  :lol8:

Mrs Zog is very happy with my tip  :lol8:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9910 on: August 04, 2020, 02:48:42 am »
Mrs Zog is very happy with my tip

He gave me the gift cards and said, "I love you, buy something nice for yourself."

I'm trying to act like a responsible adult.

Re: the giant Toblerones in the workshop. Toblerone has always been my travel treat. I used to buy them in the duty free wherever I was. I always associate Toblerone with international travel.

With all this COVID shit, I'm thinking if I print myself a boarding pass, pack a carry-on bag, go to Mr. Zog's shed, and look around, maybe I can get some of that travel feeling back and pretend it's the Duty Free shop... clutching at straws here.  :P

Offline TrailBlazer

• www.a-cut-above.co.za (Laser cutting & Engraving Services)
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
    • A-Cut-Above
« Reply #9911 on: August 04, 2020, 05:37:48 am »
Mrs Zog is very happy with my tip

He gave me the gift cards and said, "I love you, buy something nice for yourself."

Be happy that he didn't just come to you and say "Honey, I love you. I brought you a gift." ...and when you opened the packaging you got a new broom, a mop, some gumboots and a vacuum cleaner  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
There are old riders, and bold riders, but no old, bold riders.

Do not ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Take only pictures. leave only footprints

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9912 on: August 04, 2020, 03:49:08 pm »
You know you're getting old when you get excited about Tupperware.  :P

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #9913 on: August 04, 2020, 07:36:56 pm »
You know you're getting old when you get excited about Tupperware.  :P

Uh oh... :peepwall:

Offline Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #9914 on: August 04, 2020, 11:09:00 pm »
Is that a crack in that last pic of the outrigger? :patch:
Mrs Zog, I like your way of thinking! I just cannot think of a way for you to make toblerone? Maybe Gary can make you a mould sothat you can cast some from plain chocolate? :pot:
Dakar 650
SR 500

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9915 on: August 05, 2020, 02:04:46 am »
Is that a crack in that last pic of the outrigger? :patch:
Mrs Zog, I like your way of thinking! I just cannot think of a way for you to make toblerone? Maybe Gary can make you a mould sothat you can cast some from plain chocolate? :pot:

Howzit Hennie, no, that is a black stripe I drew with a koki (sharpie) where I cut the fiberglass cloth for the corner overlap.  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Oubones

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9916 on: August 05, 2020, 02:10:24 am »
So when I got home I found that some items had mysteriously hitched a ride home with me...  :peepwall:

Just kidding. There is a generator that I need to try and repair for a lady, a very old Craftsman ride-on mower that she had lying outside in her back yard for many years, and a yellow tank that I thought might work as a fuel storage tank.

The generator I feel confident about getting it running again. I gave the pull start a gentle pull and the engine did turn over, and it was stored indoors.

It used to have a fuel filter, but that is long gone...

The little carburetor should be salvageable  :sip:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9917 on: August 05, 2020, 02:21:29 am »
This very old Craftsman mower is another story though.  :(

It was parked outside under a tree for many years. The air filter was removed at some stage, and rain water has filled up the intake to the carb.

So I'm just guessing that the water eventually passed through the carb and down the inlet manifold, and into the cylinder, maybe even into the sump? Time will tell...

But otherwise it looks sort of ok...

The front tyre is completely off the bead, and the tube is ripped open...

The other three tyres don't hold air much either. Just long enough to get the tractor off the bakkie and into the yard.

I'm sure the battery is toast.

But the main reason I am willing to try get it going again is because the steel frame is still very solid, and it is seriously thick steel. It could make a good yard-tractor for pushing the Jon boat around etc...

Maggie says she has already figured the issues out

But she's not telling me. She says she wants to see if I can figure it out for myself  :lamer:

A quick look at the fuel tank and I saw it was toast. It had a big crack in the plastic inside, so it's not holding anything inside it, ever again. So I loaded it back onto the bakkie. It will go into the dumpster at work tomorrow. :xxbah:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 02:22:39 am by Mr Zog »

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #9918 on: August 05, 2020, 05:37:42 am »
Da fuq you bring this old pos home for, dad? ~ Maggie  :peepwall:
Prepare yourself for four more years 😎

Offline corne.l

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Say what?
« Reply #9919 on: August 05, 2020, 07:26:35 am »

I used to have a cat called Josephine. She started off as Joseph, with the amazing technicolour dreamcoat. But after the first visit to the vet she became Josephine  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Josephine had a very kak attitude, and would regularly fuck me up from under the bed, or jump on me while I was sleeping... I have a bad feeling about Josephine   :sip:

Reamonn said it best

When you're here
Every thought I ever had
Becomes clear
But when you're far
The only light I ever see
Is the stars

And when you go
The feelings burn
As they grow
Cause to me
To me you're beautiful