Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1233402 times)

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #9920 on: August 05, 2020, 08:05:39 am »
I interpreted Maggie's pose as telling you something else, like "watch me take a dump on this!"

Good luck, You resurrected worse cases...  ;D

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9921 on: August 05, 2020, 06:23:06 pm »
And there you have it. I'm supposed to "massage" my dishes, not wash them.  ???

I've been doing it wrong all these years!

Offline Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #9922 on: August 05, 2020, 08:14:38 pm »
You know you're getting old when you get excited about Tupperware.  :P

Tupperware Guns are cool
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9923 on: August 06, 2020, 12:11:28 am »

Tupperware Guns are cool

:thumleft: Tactical Tupperware  :thumleft:

Online Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #9924 on: August 06, 2020, 12:08:19 pm »

Tupperware Guns are cool

Just don't have them go off tucked into your waistband....!
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #9925 on: August 06, 2020, 01:09:57 pm »
Some cool updates, including the ride on.

I love the fact that your tips are actually markers too, to your and Mrs Zís dedication to hard work.

Mooi
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9926 on: August 06, 2020, 05:38:19 pm »

Tupperware Guns are cool

Just don't have them go off tucked into your waistband....!

Not my problem... I don't have any dangly bits  :peepwall:

I also no longer have my Glock  :'(

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9927 on: August 06, 2020, 08:26:34 pm »
I booked our two creatures for their annual vaccine updates this month, and received a confirmation. They included social distancing guidelines.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #9928 on: August 08, 2020, 01:17:55 am »
Thank fuck it's Friday evening.  :o

It's been a muthafucka of a week, hot and humid as hell, and I've been doing a shit-ton of manual labour. As much as I wanted to do stuff in my workshop in the evenings, I have just not had the energy to get out there.  :xxbah:

I am on standby for work this weekend, but hopefully I can get the pontoons finished, and that generator sorted out too. Of course the grass needs mowing  :peepwall:

Those of you that still have a garden engineer, be grateful  :deal:   I really miss Knowledge, the awesome Zimbo that worked Saturdays for me back in Pretoria  :(

And Mrs Zog misses his wife, Gertrude, who did one day a week inside the house...

Make no mistake, I still have no regrets having made the move, but damn, some days I just struggle too much with the heat and the physical labour.

Eish.  :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #9929 on: August 08, 2020, 12:00:36 pm »
Look on the bright side - yep there's always a bright side - you definitely don't have to pay for gym - you're getting it for free  :imaposer:
Ja/Nee

Offline Splash

« Reply #9930 on: August 08, 2020, 07:45:51 pm »
Look on the bright side - yep there's always a bright side - you definitely don't have to pay for gym - you're getting it for free  :imaposer:
Sauna and steam bath thrown in for free too. Trying to be on the bright side. Am sure you are thankful for air-conditioning.
Have bike, will ride.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9931 on: August 10, 2020, 05:31:18 pm »
Extremely thankful for air conditioning!

But, living in the tropics has its perks. Once again, we have bananas! When they get a little more ripe, I'll cut one open and see. I don't think they're edible, I think it's strictly an ornamental variety.

Also, two nice sunrises in a row. I like sunrises; if you get tired of seeing them, let me know.  ;D

May your coffee be strong and your Monday be short!

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #9932 on: August 10, 2020, 05:56:09 pm »

I don't think they're edible, I think it's strictly an ornamental variety.

Actually I reckon those are the real ones unless they're a variety of plantain.

Offline Lars

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Oh well...
« Reply #9933 on: August 10, 2020, 06:01:43 pm »
Monday wasn't too bad. National Woman's Day was yesterday and of course you get the Monday off...

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9934 on: August 11, 2020, 02:37:55 am »
So I was going to make these posts last night.

But then

Oh, look, a squirrel!

I somehow got sidetracked and distracted  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

Early Saturday morning, while it was still too early to make a noise and disturb the neighbours, I pulled the generator up onto the work stand. I pulled the fuel tank off to give myself room to get to the spark plug more easily. I pulled the plug out and gave it a blast with the compressed air. Then I squirted a shot of petrol into the cylinder, put the plug back in, and gave the pull-start a couple of tugs. The engine fired up very briefly!

So then I knew it would run again... with a whole lot of love. Next I pulled the carb off, and that is where the shit started  :eek7:

The carb was very badly corroded internally, from the pic below you can see the inlet from the fuel tank, completely blocked up with corrosion.

I took the float bowl off and it was pretty bad  :o

Anyways, I remained hopeful, and stuck the carb in the special cleaning Gunk for a few hours. When I removed it I could see that it was still far from right. So I used the part number on the side, and the manufacturers details from the bottom of the float bowl (which cleaned up very nicely), and did some research online.

I was looking for a carb kit, but found a brand new, in the box, carb on Ebay for the princely sum of $8.89, INCLUDING shipping  O0

The new carb will be here by either Monday or Tuesday  :lol8:

In the mean time I will get a new air filter, fuel filter, fuel lines, and flush out the fuel tank. I'll check the oil too, probably just drain it and replace. It only takes a few hundred ml, easy peasy. Then I'll get it all running again and looking spiffy, and return it to the lady. Hopefully before the next hurricane comes around  :peepwall:  :sip:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9935 on: August 11, 2020, 03:01:28 am »
Then I got called out for a job. That one took me a while, I was away for almost 4 hours.

Eish, let the overtime roll  :ricky:

Back home I added more coats of thickened epoxy to the pontoons, one side at a time. It was hot as fuck, so I spent a lot of time indoors where the Aircon was keeping things noce and cool  :lol8:

Sunday morning I gave the pontoons the last coat of epoxy, and then my phone rang again  :xxbah:  More call outs...

Was away again for almost 4 hours. More overtime  :spitcoffee:

Back home I grabbed the weed eater and did the trimming, then grabbed the mower and did the mowing. When the mowing was done I used the mower to pull the boat out from behind the workshop and parked it in the front of the workshop. Then I mowed the section where the baot was parked.

I pulled back the boat cover and started fitting the pontoons  :ricky:

I have set the height of the pontoons so that the bottom of the pontoon is about 50mm above the bottom of the boat when in the inboard position. I figure that when the boat is on the plane they will be just out of, or just the bottoms touching the water, and thus have very minimal drag.

When the pontoons are in the extended position they will be touching the water, and any lateral movement of the boat should be well dampened. Well that is my theory anyway  :peepwall:

I closed off the drain plugs with the caps I had. I used thread dope (liquid teflon tape) and each also got an o-ring as added safety. I don't think they will leak.  :sip:

But we have an issue... eish  :lamer:

The PVC pipe guides that ensure that I get the boat perfectly straight onto the trailer from the water are now in the way.  :sip:

I could just remove the pontoons each time I launch or recover the boat, but that is a PITA. So I devised a cunning plan  :pot:

I removed the u-bolts securing the pipes to the back of the trailer, and re-drilled them at an angle.

Then I used my heatgun to soften up the PVC just enough that I could bend them straight again  :sip:

And now the pontoons will clear the guides, and the guides will still keep the boat centered on the trailer  :thumleft:

I also moved the boat back on the trailer a few inches. Because I have now mounted the battery in the middle of the boat the weight on the tow ball is too high, moving the boat back about 20cm solved this issue  :thumleft:  All I had to do was move the front stay and winch bracket back. Simple  :thumleft:

Now the boat is parked up in the garden with its pajamas on, and the C-tek charger is keeping the battery full. I am hoping that the weather will give me a chance to go give it a good test this weekend  :ricky:

Thanks for reading, remember to hit that subscribe button, and the notification bell.... oh, wait... shit. This isn't Youtube  :peepwall:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #9936 on: August 11, 2020, 10:32:43 am »
Are those pontoons or fish hideaway cubbyholes? ;) :peepwall: :lol8:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9937 on: August 11, 2020, 10:51:31 pm »
Brace yourselves. We are tracking Tropical Depression 11.   :pot:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #9938 on: August 12, 2020, 07:38:33 pm »
I find it amazing that you can order parts for the carb like that over there - or a whole new carb. I don't think one can do that here?

Great stuff Mr Zoggie - keep on keeping on  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #9939 on: August 12, 2020, 11:08:10 pm »
For work I had to look up the German company Dr. Oetker - I'm sure you all know it for their baking products, right? I know I have bought Dr. Oetker dessert/baking stuff in SA before.

Anyway, I came across this gem:

During World War II, the company provided pudding mixes and munitions to the German troops.

That's a rather diverse portfolio...  "Yes, I'll have the vanilla with a side of some anti-tank rounds, please." ;D ;D ;D 

Nowadays, the company is  huge and involved in everything from baking supplies to luxury hotels, distilleries, and banking.

Made me laugh. Thought I'd share.

The following users thanked this post: Sardine, Bikerboer1973