Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1240219 times)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10100 on: September 13, 2020, 02:48:43 am »
I just got this image of frogs in skin-tight black suits with dark glasses and beanies, rappelling down the windows from the gutters, to the tune of a Mission Impossible/James Bond theme song... ok so maybe 4.5hrs sleep is not enough!

Those are ninja frogs. Related to the Teenage Mutant Turtles.

Assault frogs wear woodland camo.

Assault frogs are redneck frogs  :peepwall:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10101 on: September 13, 2020, 04:17:26 am »
I found this video where they compare the Ranger, the Tacoma and the Colorado.

Nice result  :thumleft:  :ricky:

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Karel84

« Reply #10102 on: September 13, 2020, 08:54:46 am »
Mr Z. Maybe this video will make you forget the pain of not driving a Ford anymore. Or maybe it will make you miss Ford more... I dunno

https://youtu.be/X154DcyVG6k

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #10103 on: September 13, 2020, 11:56:37 am »
Come now Mr Zog - you're getting all 'Merican soft on us man - being a South African - that's mos just a scratch  :pot:
Ja/Nee

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #10104 on: September 13, 2020, 01:27:12 pm »
Come now Mr Zog - you're getting all 'Merican soft on us man - being a South African - that's mos just a scratch  :pot:

A couple of pieces of BlouDrad inserted using your rear view mirror and you would have been fine, or maybe a staple gun. where did your training go.  ::)
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #10105 on: September 13, 2020, 09:15:00 pm »
I just got this image of frogs in skin-tight black suits with dark glasses and beanies, rappelling down the windows from the gutters, to the tune of a Mission Impossible/James Bond theme song... ok so maybe 4.5hrs sleep is not enough!

Those are ninja frogs. Related to the Teenage Mutant Turtles.

Assault frogs wear woodland camo.

:imaposer:

Assault frogs are redneck frogs  :peepwall:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10106 on: September 14, 2020, 02:04:52 am »

"tis but a scratch"...  :imaposer:

The following users thanked this post: TeeJay

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10107 on: September 14, 2020, 02:05:58 am »
Mr Z. Maybe this video will make you forget the pain of not driving a Ford anymore. Or maybe it will make you miss Ford more... I dunno

https://youtu.be/X154DcyVG6k

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

:eek7:

eish boet... just... EISH  :eek7:

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #10108 on: September 14, 2020, 02:15:36 am »
Gary you can name your bakkie 'Isuzu'  :deal:
That's what it is after all, and that I'd say in it's own is a good thing!
I have watched and enjoyed the comparison video and was underwhelmed that the US is still almost neglecting the midsize bakkies since all of them are based on older versions. The Ranger in South Africa is no doubt more advanced and the real deal NEW model, same goes for the rest of the field.....even the Tacomo which is supposedly the Hilux.

However, the full size trucks are a different story altogether but Ford is a bit long in the tooth now with a dated model design. Despite that still hiding on to the number 1 position for decades now and the lower price and V6 version and aluminum bodywork helps a lot.
The New Chevy Silverado which was released last year is just crazy, it is a thing of beauty and some of our managers got them now at the Coop. It shouts quality and is next level.
My favourite though; the Dodge RAM with the Cummins diesel motor....man I have never seen something like this. We have now pulled 2 x unloaded semi's off and out our grain pits with them without too much fuss and the drie weight on a semi is between 25 000 and 28 000 pounds!! Yes we pulled them clear, no problem.
The gas Hemi V8 in the Didge is also  :drif: ....... ok I admit, it is hard to be an environmentalist; unofficially self claimed title  :-[ bit really I do want to limit my carbon print.....yet I feel like a hypocrite getting excited over big displacement vehicles,  sorry.

Currently the cheapest bakkie you can buy in the States (new) is an extended cab (2 seat) Chevy Colorado, 2.5 gas motor mated to a 6 speed auto transmission at $22 400 delivered.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10109 on: September 14, 2020, 02:27:19 am »
It rained just about the whole weekend.

Tropical Storm Sally moved through South Florida and we got the edges of the bands all weekend, strong winds and lotsa rain. That meant that I didn't take the Jon boat out for a bit of a fish.

So I ended up doing a whole bunch of "honey-do's" instead. Inside stuff. And garage stuff, where I ended up super hot and sweaty.

Because we are moving the fridge to the other side of the kitchen I needed to run a water line from the RO system under the sink to where the fridge will stand for the icemaker and cold water dispenser. This proved to be a hell of a mission, as I wasn't able to just run the line up the inside of the one wall, across the inside of the ceiling, and down the inside of the other wall. The inside of the wall behind the sink was full of pipes and electrical wires and vent lines and insulation and kak, and to top it all there is a plank nailed down across the gap all along the top.

Eish, I did try, I managed to get my fish tape up inside the wall about half way before it got stuck. It got so badly stuck that I had to cut the end of the fish tape off and abandon it  :xxbah:

But eventually I did find another way. I ran the line along behind the sink, then along behind the dishwasher, and then directly through the wall behind the dishwasher into the hall closet. Then I ran it along the wall inside the hall closet, up the wall and through the ceiling into the roof. Then inside the roof and down through the ceiling in the garage, down the wall and then directly through the wall and into the dining room. I had to build a little casing where the line ran down the wall in the garage to protect the water line from any possible damage, but the line is now done, and no leaks. All good.

That took most of Saturday. Sunday (today) I got busy in the garage sorting through a whole lot of stuff that we have been putting off doing for way too long. Plastic storage bins with winter clothes, extra kitchen stuff that we don't use, and stuff like that. When we first got here a Wild Dog that was living in St Petersburg made contact and told us he was leaving and heading back to SA and we were welcome to all his stuff. We did a road trip and loaded the bakkie FULL of stuff.

Most of that stuff that we git from Johan we kept, replacing our own older stuff, so we finally got rid of our older stuff. I made two trips to the charity shop and dropped off stuff for them to sell. Now we have a little more space in the garage, and the attic is a whole lot cleaner too. But working up in the attic was hot man! Even on a cooler rainy day it was like an oven up there  :eek7:

This evening Maggie got a bath, and now she is sulking under the covers in the bed  :imaposer:

Not much else to report, the grass didn't get cut again because it was just way too water-logged, so hopefully I get home one afternoon this week with enough daylight left to tackle that.

Have a great week guys, the head is a whole lot better, but my neck is stiff as hell. I think I gave myself a whiplash  :peepwall:  :lol8:

Thanks for reading  :thumleft:

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #10110 on: September 14, 2020, 08:34:03 pm »
Take it easy 'O Tuff One - thanks for the updates  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #10111 on: September 15, 2020, 01:34:51 pm »
Saw this on Facebook today. Thought I would share with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them." Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10112 on: September 15, 2020, 04:56:05 pm »
Only one name left on this year's list - Wilfred. Then we move on to Greek letters. This has only happened once before, in 2005.

We've been really lucky so far - we've had nothing this season (yet). But we still have 10 weeks to go. Hurricane season ends on November 30.

Online Oubones

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #10113 on: September 16, 2020, 11:13:10 am »
Only one name left on this year's list - Wilfred. Then we move on to Greek letters. This has only happened once before, in 2005.

We've been really lucky so far - we've had nothing this season (yet). But we still have 10 weeks to go. Hurricane season ends on November 30.
Do not worry, I sent the hurricanes a memo to remind them that Mrs Zog has not moved and that they should consider that when deciding which path to take! :thumleft:
I will thus be surprised if any hurricane has the guts to take our much loved Wilddog Iron lady on! :ricky:
Stay safe!
Dakar 650
SR 500

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10114 on: September 16, 2020, 02:52:23 pm »
Thank you - I take that as a huge compliment. It brightened my day.

I'm struggling hard this week. I did something to my left Achilles tendon and am trying to rest it, but it's difficult. I'm also stuck in tax hell with my company. I had a long chat with my accountant yesterday and he's not good at explaining things. I'm confused as hell. I can't see myself continuing this way.

I'm considering scrapping my company, declaring my income on my personal taxes as before, and just sucking up the extra self-employment tax somehow without annuals reports, huge tax prep fees, quarterly filings, etc. I'm losing my will.

I have another meeting with the tax guy in a couple of weeks. I'll ask him to draw me a picture and explain it to me like I'm 5 years old because I have no idea what I'm doing.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10115 on: September 16, 2020, 05:12:16 pm »
I would think that unless you can spread the company income between you and another employee
(maintenance engineer, janitor whatever in the form of Mr Z)
that it would be more effective to earn the income in your own name.

That is from a ZA tax situation.
Can't fathom out the US one at all.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10116 on: September 16, 2020, 07:11:00 pm »
I can't even explain it because I don't understand it.

Just after lunch. My day so far:

1. Went to the supermarket. Fuckwaffle neighbor nearly backed into my car. Tirade of words that would make a sailor blush.
2. Dropped my nutritional shake on the floor. The dog ate it. Canine superpowers!
3. Dropped grated cheese on the floor. The other dog ate it. Canine obesity!
4. Took the trash out. There was a leak in the bag. No idea what leaked. Cleaned the floor. Cleaned the trash can.
5. Dropped a water bottle. The dog cleaned it.

Can I go back to bed now?

Offline BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #10117 on: September 16, 2020, 07:35:55 pm »
Yup. Back to bed for you...
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10118 on: September 16, 2020, 08:09:32 pm »
I can't even explain it because I don't understand it.

Just after lunch. My day so far:

1. Went to the supermarket. Fuckwaffle neighbor nearly backed into my car. Tirade of words that would make a sailor blush.
2. Dropped my nutritional shake on the floor. The dog ate it. Canine superpowers!
3. Dropped grated cheese on the floor. The other dog ate it. Canine obesity!
4. Took the trash out. There was a leak in the bag. No idea what leaked. Cleaned the floor. Cleaned the trash can.
5. Dropped a water bottle. The dog cleaned it.

Can I go back to bed now?

I think you've got dropsy today.  ::)
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10119 on: September 16, 2020, 10:09:38 pm »
I would think that unless you can spread the company income between you and another employee
(maintenance engineer, janitor whatever in the form of Mr Z)
that it would be more effective to earn the income in your own name.

That is from a ZA tax situation.
Can't fathom out the US one at all.

As far as I understand it. Which may be wrong.

When I declared my freelance income on my personal taxes, I was considered "self-employed" and had to pay a self-employment tax of 30%.

By forming a specific type of corporation as a sole proprietor, I'm exempt from self-employment tax. However, I still have to pay state federal tax and social security tax, and pay these quarterly instead of annually. I also have to produce an annual report every year and file it (huge fee) and have my taxes done professionally because I have no clue (even bigger fee). I'm just wondering if it's worth it because I'm so stressed all the time I can't see straight.

I am also my own employee. Which means I have to pay myself a reasonable salary. Of that salary, 15% is taxable. Makes sense. The problem I have is getting my accountant to explain to me how to set up a separate bank account (required) into which I pay my salary, how to pay the quarterly taxes so they are allocated to the correct appendix on my personal taxes (because the two are linked) etc.

I also have to issue myself tax documentation (called a Form W-2) to file - from myself as an employer to myself as an employee.

I understand the very basic concept, but not the execution. Not at all. Yeah, I save 15% on taxes, but I gain huge filing fees and tons of stress.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:19:45 pm by Mrs. Zog »