Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1256553 times)

jogi_c and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Bergie

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • WD# 3825
    • Hydra
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10220 on: October 04, 2020, 06:32:32 am »
And you realise you are now not very far from your own DIY lathe...
 :pot:
Not that you would have any use for that, just saying  :peepwall:

I made two of these "stands".

Blessed are the Cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #10221 on: October 04, 2020, 07:30:18 am »
Sammy caught the 'rona!  :imaposer:  Kill, Sammy, kill!  :imaposer:

Online Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10222 on: October 04, 2020, 08:16:24 am »
, sweat,

Zog if you had to chose a state to live in again like in the beginning would it be Florida again or something milder in summer weather?
I did not like the weather in Florida the few days I stayed there. BUT guess it makes up in winter?

Chris, good question.  :sip:

The positives of Florida are the great weather, close proximity to the ocean, low (ish) cost of living, Southern way of life (relaxed). But had I known that I would be working so much manual labour, and in this high heat and humidity, then I probably would have looked at a climate that was a bit milder. But only as long as the other place still had good fishing  :peepwall:  :imaposer:

My wife's brother lives in North Carolina. They call it "halfway back" as there are a lot of people who move to Florida to retire and find the climate unpleasant.
The retirees then look at Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina as a place to go back to instead.
Having spent 5 days in Orlando in May and 5 days in South Carolina in July, I would agree.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10223 on: October 05, 2020, 03:51:29 pm »
Finished last night:

Book 28 of 2020 - Heart of the Hunter - Deon Meyer

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10224 on: October 05, 2020, 09:48:54 pm »
Just a quick update.

I now understand how to do my business taxes.

I have to get Quickbooks to run my finances and taxes on that from January 1. Before then, I will get together with Mr. Zog's boss's wife, she offered to help me with it. I'll basically have to do exactly what she does for the plumbing business, except I will only have one employee (myself).

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not an oncoming train.  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: BigEd, Bikerboer1973

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10225 on: October 06, 2020, 07:00:28 pm »
So... apparently dogs hating delivery persons of all kinds is not a joke.

We have given code names to the various delivery people. Today we are waiting for

1. He who must be killed (FedEx)
2. He who must be disemboweled (UPS)
3. He who is hated very much (mail man)

The dogs have a stuffed toy that looks like a UPS man, uniform and all. That poor thing has had his head ripped off and all the stuffing pulled out; hence "he who must be disemboweled."

Sammy and Maggie save me nearly every day from certain death by delivery man, barking madly, fur standing on end and generally acting like absolute savages. This is what keeps me alive, you know. Every day they bark, and the people go away, leaving me to live another day.

This is known as "the power of barking." Let's be thankful.

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

P.S. Add the trash and recycling pickup trucks to that list - we haven't given them "special" names yet, though.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 07:18:04 pm by Mrs. Zog »

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Online BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #10226 on: October 06, 2020, 07:49:46 pm »
Sounds like my little monsters...
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10227 on: October 08, 2020, 03:33:09 pm »
Busy weekend ahead.

Tomorrow is my day off. I was planning to do another bridge walk, but I see gardening in my future instead - but hey, that's a workout, right? I want to clean up the front porch area. We have a little white plastic fence surrounding it, and weeds grow through it, it's difficult to keep on top of it - everything here grows so fast. It's ugly and I hate it (the fence - and the weeds).

I need to come up with an idea to close it off more so that the weeds can't get through so easily. Sorted - had a lightbulb moment. Will discuss with Mr. Zog tonight.

Eventually I want a little brick wall made of breeze blocks surrounding the porch so we can get rid of the plastic fence. Mr. Zog and I sat the other night and did a rough estimate of the cost. Not going to happen anytime soon. Any ideas that are relatively easy and cheap and look pretty? I'm so clever  ;D

See attached pics of the current situation.

Also, this being a humid tropical swamp, there are algae and green slime covering everything - the house, the porch, the fence, the flower pots. Using plastic pots is no good - they get brittle in the sun and crack after a year. I have terracotta pots that I love, but they are covered in slime from the humidity. They're green, not terracotta anymore. I've even tried washing them with a bleach solution. Next time Mr. Zog does some pressure washing, I'll ask him to give them a go.

Saturday and Sunday, in between work, I want to finally go through the "file pile" and set up a proper filing system - personal and business. I made a start a few weeks ago, but I need to finally get on top of it and finish it.

Soooo... that'll be my next three days.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 04:50:12 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10228 on: October 08, 2020, 04:58:19 pm »
Eventually, I want something like this.

I've always loved that mid-century modern breeze block style. It's just so... Florida!

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #10229 on: October 09, 2020, 05:50:43 am »
Eventually, I want something like this.

I've always loved that mid-century modern breeze block style. It's just so... Florida!

Dat is Florida, dat sum ting you don't see up here in da nortwoods.
Prepare yourself for four more years 😎

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10230 on: October 10, 2020, 01:47:57 am »
Another week has gone by.

Last week the temps were down a bit, but this week they were right up there again, along with the humidity, it was pretty brutal  :o

But... something I have been eyeing for a while has started coming to fruition...  :pot:

And it seems that tomorrow is going to be the day.  :peepwall:

I'm going to try and not jinx it by saying anything more right now, but hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll have some great news, and some interesting pics for y'all!  :thumleft:  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10231 on: October 10, 2020, 02:15:24 am »
Finished yesterday:

Book 29 of 2020
Devil's Peak - Deon Meyer

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #10232 on: October 10, 2020, 04:48:30 am »
my money on Zog going on a fishing trip in the deep salt

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #10233 on: October 10, 2020, 05:34:40 am »
Motorbike! Motorbike! Motorbike!

Congrats Mr Z! Many happy miles!
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #10234 on: October 10, 2020, 05:51:04 am »
Motorbike! Motorbike! Motorbike!

Congrats Mr Z! Many happy miles!

That would be awesome, the Zog's Zoggin' on 2 wheels.

Online Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10235 on: October 10, 2020, 07:08:19 am »

Isn't there a bit of a breeze blowing over Louisiana and Mississippi at the moment to make the sea choppy?
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline big oil

• R&P No posting
« Reply #10236 on: October 10, 2020, 07:15:29 am »

Isn't there a bit of a breeze blowing over Louisiana and Mississippi at the moment to make the sea choppy?

"The boisterous sea of liberty is never without a wave" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10237 on: October 11, 2020, 02:45:39 am »
You were all wrong  O0

I bought a "new" boat.

Well, it's not new at all. In fact it's 43 years old  :o  Yup, it's a 1977 model. But for the price (less than I could have paid for a plastic kayak from Walmart) I thought that I couldn't go too far wrong.

The boat has stood under some trees for at least the last 15 years. The last time the owner used it the lower end of the engine blew up, so he pulled it out of the water, put it on the trailer in the bottom of his yard, and forgot about it. My mind boggles at how someone can just do something like that  :xxbah:  It's not like he didn't have the money to get it fixed...

The boat is a a 1977 Boston Whaler Montauk 17 foot. The manufacturer is still in business today. and they still build the Montauk 17, although the new models do have some upgrades... The hull is considered "unsinkable" as the lower hull and the upper deck are fully moulded, then before they are joined together the void is completely filled with closed cell foam. There are several instances where the boat has completely swamped and the boat is still driven back to shore. Some have overturned, and the occupants have sat on the overturned hull and waited to be rescued, some have even flipped the boat back over and baled it out and been towed back to shore. The buoyancy on this boat is amazing, and many people will buy no other brand because of the great safety record.

Anyway, The arrangement was made to meet the owner at his house at 7:30 this morning, so I left home early, took the work van back to the shop and picked up my bakkie. I had also loaded up two wheels from my trailer at the shop because I had a feeling the tyres on the trailer would be rotten. I got to the house where the boat was stored and a buddy of mine who had helped me get the deal was already there. He had brought a compressor along and we pumped up the trailer tyres, then I used the bakkie to pull it out of the hole it had sunken into.

Once out on the grass I was able to give it a better looking over... you can see the "hole" in the bush under the trees behind the boat where it had stood the last 15 years.

By the time I took these pics I had already removed several plants that were growing inside the boat  :eek7:

But as you can see, there was a massive amount of dead plant matter still inside the boat.

The trailer wiring was all rotten, so I didn't even plug the wires into the bakkie for fear of blowing the fuses in the bakkie. But the trailer frame was solid, no rust at all. I believe that it was hot-dipped galvanized, and it is still perfect after 43 years! I pumped some marine grease into each wheel bearing, we did the paperwork, and I headed home.

But only a 5 miles later the right side trailer tyre blew out, so I stopped and fitted one of the spares that I had brought along. The other trailer tyre held air all the way home.

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10238 on: October 11, 2020, 02:50:59 am »
When I got home I backed it into the back yard, and then went back to the shop to park the bakkie and get my work van again, because I am on standby this weekend.

Back home I decided to make a quick video of what it all looked like...

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10239 on: October 11, 2020, 03:23:39 am »
Then I started to get busy with the first stage of the clean up...

I used a shovel to scoop out the leaves, and wet, rotting plant matter with bugs and ants and worms and all sorts of other crap into garbage bins. I filled up two big bins!

Then I used a hose to wash away as much of the mud and crap as I could. The tree growing from under the center console had actually germinated between the console and the wooden trim at the bottom, and as it grew it had squeezed the trim away from the console!  :o

Once the worst of the crap was out, I started taking out all the wooden fittings. Most of the wood is solid teak, and I wanted to get it dried out so that I could assess whether I would be able to salvage it or if I would need to remake it. So far the hatch on the front and the two trims at the base of the center console may need rebuilding, but the console doors, the trim around the edges, and the seat back / leaning post are all in really good shape. I got all the wood out and have stacked it inside the workshop in front a fan that I'll leave running for several days to get the wood properly dry.

The good wood I will just sand gently, then give it a few coats of UV resistant varnish. The quality of the workmanship on the wooden bits is just brilliant, and all the original hardware (nuts & bolts & screws is high quality stainless steel and still in perfect condition. Even the nuts are all Nyloc nuts that don't come loose. I am really seriously impressed with the quality on this boat!

I also removed all of the electrics from the center console, the engine gauges, and what electronics there were (just a very old fish finder). Tomorrow I will remove the engine control and the steering mechanism and steering wheel, and the screen. Then I'll remove the center console completely to see how I need to fix the attachment points. When the console is out I will also be able to properly clean the tunnel under the floor where all the cables etc. run as right now it is still pretty well jammed with leaves and debris.

Of course my little assistant was helping me out, checking for critters and stuff in all the tight corners  :imaposer:

I did know that the engine's lower unit was shot, but I was sort of kinda hoping that the engine may still still be ok, but after I opened up the cowling I found that the water channels in the cylinders had completely corroded through the sides of the cylinders. So the engine is junk. Pity, but I was kind of expecting it. So tomorrow I'll take the engine off and offer it to a SA guy down in Sebastian who is a boat mechanic as spare parts.

I'll get the hull properly fixed up, then I'll probably sell the Jon boat and use the cash I get from it to buy a good used engine for the Boston Whaler.

Once fixed up, with a good engine, and properly sea-worthy, the Boston Whaler will be worth around $10 000.00  :eek7:

I doubt I will sell it though, I have been looking for a really solid boat for  years now. And this boat is just that. I can get the hull fixed up for very little money, probably less than $100, but a whole lot of time and effort on my part. That's cool though, I enjoy fixing stuff up  :biggrin: