Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1258301 times)

vstromPE and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10260 on: October 12, 2020, 12:14:59 pm »
will a 60hp not be enough?
Why have 60 when you could have 600.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them." Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Skeltonsc

« Reply #10261 on: October 12, 2020, 12:48:05 pm »
It should be fine on a 60Hp, you may have to change the prop to the correct pitch to get the RPM correct when you running full throttle. I fitted those wings to my outboards to get on the plane quicker this will also help if you have a smaller outboard. and remember that old Merc was 85HP at the flywheel the modern 4 strokes measure at the Prop - don't quote me, I may be wrong  though>:D

In my youth I used to fish with an uncle who had a 17 foot Cabin boat and that would plane quite happily with a 55HP around Durban Harbour  and there's no ways your boat weighs more than that old boat, with 3 Adults and 3 kids plus Gas bottles and water and and and....

You may even get away with a 40HP as you not loading tons of Family and beer onto this boat. but if you crossing any bars to go out to sea you may want the extra power  O0

I suppose it all comes down to weight how heavy is your Boat and how much that Foam weighs  :deal:

I also watch the haulover videos and they often have some of these boats crossing some pretty big swells

The following users thanked this post: Mr Zog

Offline AndreB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 01:49:42 pm by AndreB »
If you want to run with the big dogs you must learn to pee high.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10263 on: October 13, 2020, 07:26:34 pm »
Well, I have done my civic duty.

And now we wait...  ::)

Finished yesterday:

Book 30 of 2020
Thirteen Hours - Deon Meyer

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10264 on: October 13, 2020, 09:21:30 pm »
So are you part of the fraud now...?  >:D
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10265 on: October 14, 2020, 01:52:21 am »
So are you part of the fraud now...?  >:D

Obviously.  8)

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10266 on: October 14, 2020, 02:05:33 am »

[/quote

Thanks for that video, after watching it I realized that I have a whole lot of work to do, but not as much patching-up as they did. But I will also not be painting the whole boat again like they did either, I don't think the budget will allow for that. Unless I get can of paint really cheaply...  8)

Regarding the size motor, the ID plate on the boat says max power is 100HP, and right now I'd settle for anything between 60 and 100 HP. I do think that I want at least 60HP, because I do plan to take her out of the Sebastian inlet on calm days, but that inlet can turn from flat to mountains and holes in an instant, so maybe just a little of power in reserve will be a good thing.

The hull of the boat is apparently 900lbs, or just a shade over 400kg's. Almost as much as a GSA  :peepwall:  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

I will also add another couple of hundred kg's of weight (myself & a buddy, fuel, cooler, fishing stuff, safety equipment, etc.) and don't forget the weight of the motor as well.

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10267 on: October 14, 2020, 02:32:23 am »
Sunday morning I got busy with the boat again.

I finally got the center console removed, after struggling with the steering cable for a long time. It was pretty well jammed inside the tube on the front of the motor. But some spray stuff, and a whole lot of jiggling and working it and it finally came free. The engine controls were a little easier to get free.

Then I sprayed most of the hull and the inside with a 50% bleach/water solution and let it sit for a few minutes. You could actually see the green disappearing  :biggrin:

Then I fired up the pressure washer and hit it with 2700 psi's of POWER  :ricky:

I'd say that 98% of the crap is gone from the spots that I hit, just a couple of places where there seems to be some staining. I'll try get those out with some other chemical, or maybe even just try polishing them out, I'll experiment a bit later on.  :sip:

Getting the motor off was a bitch. Because the trim & tilt no longer worked I had a mission trying to get the bolts out. The trim servos were in the way of the bolts, so I took the top bolts out of the servos and thought that I'd just pull them back... HA, no way Jose. The bottom bits were solidly rusted in place. With minimal effort I actually broke the one clean off  :eek7:

Lifting the motor was also not happening, it's WAY too heavy for me. So I dropped the front of the trailer down on the jockey wheel, then put a bunch of thick planks under the bottom of the motor, then cranked the front up again. This allowed the motor to come free just enough that I was able to swing it away from the boat and let it fall onto the grass. Then I just dragged it against the fence where it will lie until the weekend when I have my bakkie at home and I can pull the boat out of the way and then drag the motor out as well.

I still have to remove the seat and base, and then the two pads that the fuel tanks lie on. Then I will complete the cleaning and start the renovation. But that will probably only happen next weekend... I did go through the boat with a roll of duct tape and closed up all the little holes where I took screws out, etc. so that no water from rain or cleaning will get into the hull. But I am also planning to drill a hole at the bottom of the transom to make sure that there isn't any water trapped inside the hull. Just to be sure.

So here are some pics of the progress so far. Quite a difference to what it looked like an Saturday morning when she first pulled into the yard. You can also clearly see where I haven't got to cleaning yet. The final pic is the reason why I didn't finish the cleaning, a massive storm came over and dropped 70mm of rain in just over an hour.  :eek7:

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

The following users thanked this post: husky, Bergie

Online woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #10268 on: October 14, 2020, 06:42:20 am »
I just love a project like this when something like this was so neglected and suddenly turns into a beautiful Swan. :thumleft:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #10269 on: October 14, 2020, 06:47:35 am »

I'd say that 98% of the crap is gone from the spots that I hit, just a couple of places where there seems to be some staining. I'll try get those out with some other chemical, or maybe even just try polishing them out, I'll experiment a bit later on.  :sip:

Try Domestos mixed with Bicarb. Has worked for me before.

Really nice looking boat.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #10270 on: October 14, 2020, 07:28:18 am »
Gary, she seems to be of good pedigree and worth the expense of restoration. Structurally she seems sound with no major osmosis or rot?  Imo worth it to spend good money on to get shipshape.  She also seems ideal for your type of fishing and can be a longterm partner not needing to sell to upgrade. Iow a keeper.  I suggest spending on her basics. Dont be shy. The fancy stuff can come later, but the basics is important now. Structurally, gelcoat, paint, etc. 

What is the state of the trailer like?

Ito motors.  Not all (eg) 60s are alike. Some have 60hp, but bigger displacement, so work less for the same hp. Also check the weights. Lighter is better. Others are bored out 50s, while others may be smaller 75s.  Do your research.  If you dont want speed but like responsiveness check the Power Trust engines. Modern 2strokes are much closer to 4strokes ito fuel efficiency at a cheaper price.  If going for 2nd hand though, a bargain buy may be more important than the ideal size/make engine.

Very excited to see this project unfolds. She is a beaut.  Will the 9.9 get her on plane with maybe a different prop? May be a short term solution just to enjoy her while waiting for the right engine. 

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #10271 on: October 14, 2020, 09:00:39 am »
Watch some of the vids from ThatBoatGuy to see what great bargains he has managed to bring back into service.
I hope you find one too.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10272 on: October 15, 2020, 02:06:20 am »
Gary, she seems to be of good pedigree and worth the expense of restoration. Structurally she seems sound with no major osmosis or rot?  Imo worth it to spend good money on to get shipshape.  She also seems ideal for your type of fishing and can be a longterm partner not needing to sell to upgrade. Iow a keeper.  I suggest spending on her basics. Dont be shy. The fancy stuff can come later, but the basics is important now. Structurally, gelcoat, paint, etc. 

Ito motors.  Not all (eg) 60s are alike. Some have 60hp, but bigger displacement, so work less for the same hp. Also check the weights. Lighter is better. Others are bored out 50s, while others may be smaller 75s.  Do your research.  If you dont want speed but like responsiveness check the Power Trust engines. Modern 2strokes are much closer to 4strokes ito fuel efficiency at a cheaper price.  If going for 2nd hand though, a bargain buy may be more important than the ideal size/make engine.

Very excited to see this project unfolds. She is a beaut.  Will the 9.9 get her on plane with maybe a different prop? May be a short term solution just to enjoy her while waiting for the right engine.

There is no way the 9.9 will get her on the plane.

I was looking around last night and found this youtube channel, the guy restored a 1966 Boston Whaler to pretty much new condition. It has inspired me.

I have decided to take my time, and do the job to the best of my ability and finances. Even if it takes me 6 months or two years. I want to get this boat back to "as new" condition.

This weekend I will attempt to get it into the back yard where I can work on it more easily, under the shade of the big trees, and where the ground is a lot more level. Right now it is at about a 20 degree sideslope... I have the left wheel propped up on 3 bits of wood so that it can drain if it rains.

Oh, and I also will be looking at a Suzuki 50HP motor this weekend... Apparently it runs, just needs some love. And I have a feeling that the price may be somewhere in my ballpark of affordability  :peepwall:  :thumleft:

Offline Lars

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Oh well...
« Reply #10273 on: October 15, 2020, 07:37:41 am »
Have a look at the Honda 4 strokes as well. They are based on their car engines and you get service parts at Autozone. You might get bored with a 50hp quiet quickly as it is a big boat. Have a look at auction sites and salvage auctions and wait for the right engine at a bargain price. Fantastic boats the Boston Whalers, congrats on your new boat. It deserves to be Zogged.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline AndreB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #10274 on: October 15, 2020, 08:23:45 am »
Oh, and I also will be looking at a Suzuki 50HP motor this weekend... Apparently it runs, just needs some love. And I have a feeling that the price may be somewhere in my ballpark of affordability  :peepwall:  :thumleft:
[/quote]

Gary Don't go for a 50. It will be to small for a 17 foot boat. Try to find a Mercury 75 2 stroke.
Andre
If you want to run with the big dogs you must learn to pee high.

Online Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience.
« Reply #10275 on: October 15, 2020, 01:36:33 pm »

I was looking around last night and found this youtube channel, the guy restored a 1966 Boston Whaler to pretty much new condition. It has inspired me.

I have decided to take my time, and do the job to the best of my ability and finances. Even if it takes me 6 months or two years. I want to get this boat back to "as new" condition.

This weekend I will attempt to get it into the back yard where I can work on it more easily, under the shade of the big trees, and where the ground is a lot more level. Right now it is at about a 20 degree sideslope... I have the left wheel propped up on 3 bits of wood so that it can drain if it rains.

Gary I thought that a new motor would be one of the last things you needed as you can not really go out until a unch of other stuff are fixed first?
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #10276 on: October 15, 2020, 02:03:21 pm »
Buy... fix... sell
Repeat.

Soon the perfect motor will come along at the right price.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10277 on: October 16, 2020, 03:53:03 am »

Gary I thought that a new motor would be one of the last things you needed as you can not really go out until a unch of other stuff are fixed first?

Gary Don't go for a 50. It will be to small for a 17 foot boat. Try to find a Mercury 75 2 stroke.
Andre
[/quote]

The 50HP is probably going to be a real bargain, like as in free  :peepwall:

But I'll check it out this weekend, and if it seems like a possibility, then I'll take it and when the boat is ready I'll test the 50, and if it works great, then I'll keep it. But if I find it to be underpowered, then I'll give it back. I don't think I have anything to lose.  :sip:

The following users thanked this post: Bikerboer1973

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10278 on: October 16, 2020, 04:06:33 am »
I'm going to try and take a leaf out of Gerrard's book of advice on projects, and try to do something every day. When possible.  :thumleft:

This evening after work I decided to finish stripping the center console.

The FM radio antenna was rusted fast, I ended up drilling out the screws that held it in place, and had to break it to get it out. So it went into the trash can  :biggrin:

Then I removed the steering wheel bracket and the ignition bracket, and the hand rail and shepherds crook.

I turned the console over, and the two strips of plywood along the two sides that support the console to the floor of the boat were completely rotten out, I dug the remains out with a screwdriver  :eek7:

But I can fix that. The two strips are about 1/2 inch thick, and only about 4 inches wide. So I'll cut away the inner layer of fiberglass and clean it out propely, then put new marine ply in there, then cover with new fiberglass. The other wood inside the console seems to be ok, but I'll check it out properly.

The inside of the console now needs to get the bleach-water treatment, then some power washing. There are still some mud wasps nests inside there and other kak...

But the outside is starting to look good again. I'll probably fill in all the unwanted screw holes, then sand it down lightly and give it a coat of primer.

Already my workshop is starting to look like "n hoer se handsak" with all the stuff lying around. So I think my next job is to go buy a box of small zip-lock bags and start packing and marking all the small bits and pieces and screws etc before I forget where they all go, because it may be a year before I need them again.

Tomorrow is Friday!!! I start off my day early with a filter system install at a Mexican restaurant, then a full busy day again. But it's also payday, so I'm really hoping to be out of there by 5 or 6 pm.  :ricky:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 04:08:27 am by Mr Zog »

Online Bikerboer1973

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
  • Fiets Loos!
« Reply #10279 on: October 16, 2020, 07:12:11 am »
Lekker Gary, congrats on the boat you gonna enjoy it when done!

Why don't you just cut the right size off wood for the inside on the console and glue it in with resin or something? Or do you have to cut off that piece and fiberglass again?