Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1262331 times)

BigEd, Broodrolletjie and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Lars

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Oh well...
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10340 on: October 26, 2020, 10:45:09 pm »
Ha ha ha. You so funny. I like you. I shoot you last.  8)
Get em

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10341 on: October 27, 2020, 01:51:49 am »
I dug a whole lot of holes today.

Deep holes. Lots of them. Then I fixed the pipes inside the holes. Then I closed the holes back in again and put the grass back as best as I could.

I got home stinky and smelly, so I thought "what the hell" and went out to the workshop and worked on the wheel bearings for a bit.  :sip:

Here are all the bits for the first one, cleaned up and ready to go back.

I also picked up a pack of new stainless steel split pins for the lock nuts.

I greased the bearings with the green marine grease, then put the hub back on, put the washer and nut back on, tightened up the nut, then released it slightly until the wheel hub spun freely. Then I put the lock nut back and the new split pin.

Here is the cleaned and assembled "bearing buddy". The spring holds the inner sleeve towards the bearing. When you pump the grease in then the grease pushes the sleeve away from the bearing against the spring. As the grease seeps out past the rear seal the spring pushes against the sleeve and this keeps the bearings full of clean new grease. It is really awesome, I don't know how long these bearings have been on this trailer, but they are in perfect condition.

On this "before" pic you can see that the sleeve that the grease nipple is in is back away from the spring.

And here I have tapped the bearing buddy into the end of the hub with a small hammer, it is just a very snug press fit.

After adding several pumps of grease from the grease gun, if you look carefully you will note that the sleeve with the grease nipple is pushed away from the bearings, against the spring. Ready for the next couple of thousand miles  :ricky:

After getting the first side done I pulled the other side out, cleaned all the parts, and inspected them. Same as the first side, perfect condition.  :thumleft: But then Mrs Zog was calling me for supper, so I closed up the workshop and called it a day. Lets hope I can get back in there tomorrow evening again  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline BOZO

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #10342 on: October 27, 2020, 02:32:17 am »
To Be honest,
I never really knew that I cared that much about greased nipples and wheel bearings until today.   :imaposer:
Thanks Mr Zog for the quick education  ;D
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them." Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10343 on: October 27, 2020, 03:06:07 am »
To Be honest,
I never really knew that I cared that much about greased nipples and wheel bearings until today.   :imaposer:
Thanks Mr Zog for the quick education  ;D

be honest...

I had you at nipples, right?  :peepwall:  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #10344 on: October 27, 2020, 03:49:43 am »
 :laughing4: :laughing4:
Absolutely correct :thumleft:
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them." Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
XT660Z

Online BigEd

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #10345 on: October 27, 2020, 07:58:23 am »
Is there any other reason?
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 flippen martelpyp (current)

Offline Namakwalander

« Reply #10346 on: October 27, 2020, 08:24:32 am »
One day in the office the boss says: "every time after I've driven through mud, I grease my nipples when I get home." So I burst out laughing thinking he is busy with some play one words until I realize everyone is just staring at me as I am the only one thinking it is a joke. So I pretend to be looking at my phone and mumble as I walk off.
Born to be Mild

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #10347 on: October 27, 2020, 10:52:32 am »
First time I have met a bearing buddy.  Clever idea that has been well done but at low budget.  Really effective.
That is American engineering, make for $1 what any other fool can make for $2.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #10348 on: October 27, 2020, 11:36:58 am »
Perhaps 'mericans don't find nipples amusing...?  ::)
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10349 on: October 28, 2020, 01:05:54 am »
One day in the office the boss says: "every time after I've driven through mud, I grease my nipples when I get home." So I burst out laughing thinking he is busy with some play one words until I realize everyone is just staring at me as I am the only one thinking it is a joke. So I pretend to be looking at my phone and mumble as I walk off.

Ja Willie...  :imaposer:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10350 on: October 28, 2020, 01:07:52 am »
First time I have met a bearing buddy.  Clever idea that has been well done but at low budget.  Really effective.
That is American engineering, make for $1 what any other fool can make for $2.

It's a first for me too. I will add a set to my utility trailer hubs as well when I next service those bearings.  :thumleft:

My little Jon boat trailer already has a set  :ricky:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10351 on: October 28, 2020, 01:10:48 am »
Today I got prices at the local tyre shop for new tyres for the boat trailer.

they are 155/80/13's and they will be $48 each.

Not too bad I guess? When I had to buy tyres for the F150 they were about $200 each  :eek7:

After work this evening I finished cleaning the second set of bearings and hub and bearing buddy. But then it was getting dark so I put the seed out for the birds and the squirrels and closed up shop.

More is nog n dag  :deal:  :imaposer:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #10352 on: October 28, 2020, 01:16:01 am »
Mrs Zog tried her hand at baking some bread today.

I have been bemoaning the fact that I can't get good old NORMAL bread over here. Like the old SA govt bread, plain simple bread, no added flavours and sweeteners and kak.

Just plain bread...

Well, when I got home the first loaf had JUST come out of the oven and it smelled divine  :drif:

So I took it out of the bread tin and cut off a slice and smeared on some butter and  :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:

Awesome bread!!! 

Thanks darling!  :thumleft:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10353 on: October 28, 2020, 02:06:28 am »
If someone has a recipe for that "plain old South African government bread," please let me know. Google wasn't helpful.

I used to buy it at Uitkyk Vleismark in Pretoria, usually, and it was sooooooo goooooood! 'm also not a fan of US bread.

Gracias!  :thumleft:

Offline valkerieforever

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Between the Smoke and Mirrors
« Reply #10354 on: October 28, 2020, 09:19:36 am »
If someone has a recipe for that "plain old South African government bread," please let me know. Google wasn't helpful.

I used to buy it at Uitkyk Vleismark in Pretoria, usually, and it was sooooooo goooooood! 'm also not a fan of US bread.

Gracias!  :thumleft:

How is your Afrikaans? I can send you a recipe for a Kook en Geniet? I will translate it as best I can.

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #10355 on: October 28, 2020, 10:47:13 am »
Zog, you should make roosterbrood when you braai.  I am amazed you don't already.  I don't make it myself but I love it the few times I do get it.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #10356 on: October 28, 2020, 11:06:49 am »
Is that the Government bread with soya and other vegetable protein added to lower cost and to boost shelf life?

The best bread is made with Durham wheat flour, a little rye flour, unchlorinated water, real yeast cultures, with a touch of salt added.
Bake in the oven with a little water alongside at the start.
(It helps to form a nice crust.)

(PS: I harvested natural yeast using a bottle with 40g of bread flour, 40g of unchlorinated water.
I covered the opening with cheesecloth held in place by a rubber band and hung it in our lemon tree for three days.
When the paste started bubbling I brought it inside again and continued to feed it flour and unchlorinated water.)

Offline BOZO

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #10357 on: October 28, 2020, 12:36:37 pm »
Is that the Government bread with soya and other vegetable protein added to lower cost and to boost shelf life?

The best bread is made with Durham wheat flour, a little rye flour, unchlorinated water, real yeast cultures, with a touch of salt added.

(PS: I harvested natural yeast using a bottle with 40g of bread flour, 40g of unchlorinated water.
I covered the opening with cheesecloth held in place by a rubber band and hung it in our lemon tree for three days.
When the paste started bubbling I brought it inside again and continued to feed it flour and unchlorinated water.)
Wow. Just wow. After reading this post I just want to hug a tree. .
Please educate me. What is unchlorinated water. Is that like water that you collected from your rain gauge?
I bet you would give  Bear Grylls a run for his money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
XT660Z

Offline mox

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Formerly knows as HONDAKAWA11
« Reply #10358 on: October 28, 2020, 12:52:19 pm »

Please educate me. What is unchlorinated water. Is that like water that you collected from your rain gauge?

You can boil water and let it cool and sit for a bit to rid it of chlorine ( it basically evaporates ) - basic way. Water also looses it's ''injected chlorine'' sitting in the sun over a relatively short period.
Klr 650 , Z800 - My blood is green.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #10359 on: October 28, 2020, 02:02:25 pm »

You can boil water and let it cool and sit for a bit to rid it of chlorine ( it basically evaporates ) - basic way. Water also looses it's ''injected chlorine'' sitting in the sun over a relatively short period.

As said above. 
You can also buy from prepared water suppliers.
The chlorine in tap water can detrimentally affect the yeast during the leavening (rising) stage of bread making.  :sip: