Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Life in America - I made the move.  (Read 1330228 times)

Offline BOZO

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Eschew obfuscation
Re: Life in America - I made the move.
« Reply #10860 on: January 26, 2021, 10:23:03 pm »
I really enjoyed that book as well, Ken Follet does seem to mingle a great story and education together without it being obvious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
"If you think anyone is sane you just don't know enough about them."— Christopher Moore (Practical Demonkeeping)
1150 GS, 1200 GSA, 125 KX, WR450  (all sold) :(
XT660Z

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10861 on: January 27, 2021, 06:20:43 pm »
I'm struggling with work today. Really hard.  :-[

As you may know by now, my area of expertise is biological chemistry and molecular biology. About a year ago, I was asked if I wanted to branch out into other areas of science, and of course I said YES! I figure it can't hurt to diversify in these weird times, right?

Since then, I've taken work about archaeology, energy science (mainly about rechargeable batteries and solar and wind energy), quantum mechanics, quantum physics, and some odd ones here and there in no particular category, like development of new impact-resistant materials and some really weird research about schizophrenia in pigs.  :o (Yes, really.) It's (mostly) okay. I really, really struggle with quantum science though.

Today's I got another new area: tool and die manufacturing processes. I have a hard time with this too.

These are all so far out of what I'm used to. But hey, I'm learning, and I'm making myself more marketable for the future (you never know).  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 06:27:19 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Tom van Brits

« Reply #10862 on: January 27, 2021, 06:45:04 pm »
I'm struggling with work today. Really hard.  :-[

As you may know by now, my area of expertise is biological chemistry and molecular biology. About a year ago, I was asked if I wanted to branch out into other areas of science, and of course I said YES! I figure it can't hurt to diversify in these weird times, right?

Since then, I've taken work about archaeology, energy science (mainly about rechargeable batteries and solar and wind energy), quantum mechanics, quantum physics, and some odd ones here and there in no particular category, like development of new impact-resistant materials and some really weird research about schizophrenia in pigs.  :o (Yes, really.) It's (mostly) okay. I really, really struggle with quantum science though.

Today's I got another new area: tool and die manufacturing processes. I have a hard time with this too.

These are all so far out of what I'm used to. But hey, I'm learning, and I'm making myself more marketable for the future (you never know).  :thumleft:

Well done Mrs Z, you are a brave woman!!

The following users thanked this post: Mrs. Zog

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #10863 on: January 27, 2021, 06:55:47 pm »
Tool and Die, would be absolutely fascinating, but the opportunities (as a laywoman, that sounds wrong) to mess up must be massive.  :biggrin:
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10864 on: January 27, 2021, 07:23:57 pm »
You know, generally, if I can understand what it's all about, I'm okay. Like,

Ah, I see, they're trying to do XYX to make a new thingamabob to make batteries hold a charge longer, or

Wow, ok, they're trying to do XYX to prove that cabbage can grow in space so we can feed a Mars colony.

Or whatever.

But a lot of my work is at such an expert level, down to atoms and quarks and quantum matter collisions and nanoparticles, usually I can't even grasp what they're trying to do. And it's really, really difficult for me to work on something I have zero understanding of. With biochemistry and molecular biology I at least have a solid grounding and I understand it.

When I have 36 pages of something like this (from today's work), all I can think is: huh? what?  :o

The cutoff energy for the plane-wave basis was set to be 400 eV and the Brillouin zone was sampled 5 × 5 × 1 k-point grid mesh. To determine the exchange interactions between magnetic ions, the calculated DFT total energies of different magnetic configurations are mapped onto a classical Heisenberg Hamiltonian.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 07:35:08 pm by Mrs. Zog »

Offline Herkules

« Reply #10865 on: January 27, 2021, 08:15:16 pm »
 :sip: I always wanted to see a schitsofrenic pig!?? :bueller: :3some:

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10866 on: January 27, 2021, 08:33:42 pm »
:sip: I always wanted to see a schitsofrenic pig!?? :bueller: :3some:

Danish scientists are aiming to produce schizophrenic pigs by disrupting fetal brain development. Past efforts to develop animal models for schizophrenia—a devastating disorder that disrupts thoughts and causes hallucinations, emotional disturbance, and social withdrawal—have been fraught with problems

Offline Herkules

« Reply #10867 on: January 27, 2021, 08:39:13 pm »
 :sip: They will not become serial killers? Or, is that chycopaths? (looks like I don't have spell check)  :spitcoffee: :3some:

Offline BigEd

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Panorama, Cape Town
« Reply #10868 on: January 27, 2021, 08:45:37 pm »
Serial bacon... hmm...
81 XT500 (sold) 82 GPZ550 (sold)
04 XL650V Transalp (sold) 01 XL1000V Varadero (sold)
88 DR750s Dr Big (sold) 01 R1150GS BMW (sold)
84 XT600 Tenere 34L (sold)
?? Trek 6000 martelpyp (gave the stupid thing away)

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #10869 on: January 27, 2021, 09:31:41 pm »
Awesome challenge Mrs Zog its not going to be boring.  :biggrin:

I would also consider that "who the F... else" would do this?  RATE
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:33:02 pm by Welsh »
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline Ri

« Reply #10870 on: January 28, 2021, 07:17:31 am »
I take my hat off to you, Mrs Z. I'd be Googling every term and struggling to  remember and fit together all the new knowledge. But soon you'll assimilate and it will make sense - you are a smart cookie  :biggrin:

Strongs

Offline valkerieforever

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Between the Smoke and Mirrors
« Reply #10871 on: January 28, 2021, 07:30:29 am »
You know, generally, if I can understand what it's all about, I'm okay. Like,

Ah, I see, they're trying to do XYX to make a new thingamabob to make batteries hold a charge longer, or

Wow, ok, they're trying to do XYX to prove that cabbage can grow in space so we can feed a Mars colony.

Or whatever.

But a lot of my work is at such an expert level, down to atoms and quarks and quantum matter collisions and nanoparticles, usually I can't even grasp what they're trying to do. And it's really, really difficult for me to work on something I have zero understanding of. With biochemistry and molecular biology I at least have a solid grounding and I understand it.

When I have 36 pages of something like this (from today's work), all I can think is: huh? what?  :o

The cutoff energy for the plane-wave basis was set to be 400 eV and the Brillouin zone was sampled 5 × 5 × 1 k-point grid mesh. To determine the exchange interactions between magnetic ions, the calculated DFT total energies of different magnetic configurations are mapped onto a classical Heisenberg Hamiltonian.

This sounds like something out of Star Trek... Well done Mrs. Zog for branching out. It is awesome!!!

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #10872 on: January 28, 2021, 09:38:11 am »
You have my sympathy on the quantum stuff, Mrs Zog! I majored in Physics, and only know enough to have a generalist grasp on the science. A major stumbling block to understanding is that it is impossible to visualise quantum mechanics. It can only be described in a mathematical way. And one needs to study maths about 4 years and more to get to the level of maths required.

Richard Feynman wrote some good stuff ("the Feynman lectures" and other books) that explains at "undergrad" level...

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10873 on: January 28, 2021, 06:18:11 pm »
This sounds like something out of Star Trek

;D If only I could get paid at warp speed!  ;D

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10874 on: January 28, 2021, 06:34:01 pm »
You have my sympathy on the quantum stuff, Mrs Zog! I majored in Physics, and only know enough to have a generalist grasp on the science. A major stumbling block to understanding is that it is impossible to visualise quantum mechanics. It can only be described in a mathematical way. And one needs to study maths about 4 years and more to get to the level of maths required.

Richard Feynman wrote some good stuff ("the Feynman lectures" and other books) that explains at "undergrad" level...

I might give the Feynman lectures a try... I know he pioneered nanotechnology, so it would be relevant to what I'm dealing with now.

A few years ago I read "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, about string theory and space-time, and even though it was supposed to be "accessible" for the average person, I still struggled to get through it.

I've also wanted to read Michio Kaku's books for a while but haven't yet, he seems to "dumb it down" even more for people like me  :biggrin:

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #10875 on: January 29, 2021, 03:16:46 am »
While the clever ones discuss quantum physics and nanoparticles and stuff...  :o

Just another busy week at work for the dumb plumber  :peepwall:

So far nothing that has taxed my brain too much, but a whole lot of heavy lifting and lots of PVC glue and pipe  :lol8:

Tomorrow is Friday (it is already Friday back in SA) and I can't wait for tjaila time  :ricky:

Gonna get back into the workshop and make some boxes  :lol8:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
« Reply #10876 on: January 29, 2021, 07:15:26 am »
Ja jy het n oorvloed van twatwaffle in jou workshop :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Mrs. Zog

« Reply #10877 on: January 30, 2021, 02:48:38 am »
And that is why we buy second-hand furniture from Goodwill  ;D

Happy Weekend, everyone!

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10878 on: January 30, 2021, 03:41:11 am »
Here are some updates from my week...

I did an artesian well repair. This is a well (borehole) that has free-flowing water coming out of it. The ground water pressure is so high that it pushes the water up the well pipe from depths around 100 meters at a pressure of between 8 and 10 psi. Depending on the size of the well pipe, generally 2 inches (50mm) for residential properties, this means that when the pipe is broken off (or rusts off) that around 200 liters per minutes flow out of the well pipe until it is either repaired or capped.

The customer had a small-ish hole in the side of the pipe caused by rust. He lives about 300 meters from the ocean, so rust IS an issue. To try and work in a dryer environment I generally try to reduce or even stop the leak before I start digging down the pipe. I have found that wrapping the pipe in several layers of duct tape, and then strapping the duct tape tighter with electrical tape works quite well with the relatively low water pressure. I did this at this job with good success.

Then I dug a deep hole, about a meter deep, around the well pipe as the first good section of pipe was about a foot below ground level. This is where the pipe was still buried and not in contact with oxygen to cause corrosion. I need a deep hole because when I start cutting through the pipe the water sprays out and I need somewhere for the water to go to while I cut. Then as soon as the pipe has been cut through I place the bottom end of a steel repair coupling over the well pipe, and a colleague drops down a section of PVC pipe with a ball valve already glued in place and the top section of the repair coupling.

While he holds the PVC pipe in place I insert the bolts and tighten down on the coupling until it's tight. The water is allowed to flow through the PVC pipe and ball valve, and is diverted away with an additional section of pipe loosely  fitted. When the coupling is tight I can slowly close the ball valve and stop the water flow. If you close the valve too quickly the wet fitting can slip off from the water hammer and then you are fucked; you start all over again, except now you are working under water...  :xxbah:

This particular job the water flow was very high, and the coupling was giving me shit. I finally got the coupling tight and the ball valve closed while standing in over a meter of water. Needless to say I was soaked, and very muddy  :eek7:  :imaposer:

This was the "after" pic  :lol8:

You can see that I had already connected the new pipe to the existing pipe that led to the pump. The water around the well pipe is where I was standing to make the cut and connection.  :peepwall:

Yesterday I inspected another leaking well pipe. I taped it up and virtually stopped the leaking. Then my colleague and I will return on Tuesday afternoon and do the more permanent repair.

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10879 on: January 30, 2021, 03:51:25 am »
Another job.

About 3 years ago I did this installation job with my boss. It's a high-rise condo on the beach and we installed two booster pumps to increase the pressure up to the 8th floor. One of the two pumps' check valve had failed, causing the City Water supply backflow preventer (a valve that prevents water flowing back into the City supply, possibly contaminating it) to blow off at the pressure relief valve, resulting in a pretty nasty water leak.

Because the boss is currently down with the Covid, it was up to me to determine which valve had failed and to shut off that pump and isolate it. Something I had never done before. But I figured it out, and luckily only one of the two check valves had failed. I'll probably go back next week and replace both check valves. The single booster pump will easily handle the pressure supply to the condo building in the interim. That's why we installed two pumps originally, if one fails they automatically have a backup.