At last - my first ride on the new AT ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XRRX

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Thanks to the friendly bunch of people at Honda Wing George, I got my first ride on the new Twin - albeit only tar as promised ...
I contacted Skolla, and asked him to join - an invite he instantly accepted!  8)

It's the standard model, and when we left it had a mere 248k's on the clock - on return - 306k's. He followed me for about 25k's on the GreatBrak road - with its normal slow traffic and ups and downs, as well as a few corners - nothing serious.
We stopped at "Mooiuitsig-kombuis" for a coffee and some discussion. While I was waiting there, he took the AT out to Sinksabrug and back, so everyone had his chance on the demo bike.

Just a few amateur notes:

One small point of criticism - foot pegs too small - forces my nr. 11 boots against the exhaust heat shield.

Standard screen - works very well for my 1,78m posture ...
Extremely smooth - Skolla told me over the coffee that he thought he was going at around 80kph, and when he checked he was actually doing 140kph!!
Sorry Skolla - but I have to say it leaves the 800XC for dead (especially the higher the speed climbs) - accelerating from 130  in 6 gear up a steep uphill - and when I reached the summit after more or less 1 km I saw 210 kph !  :ricky: (Granted I weigh much less than Skolla)
At this speed - which wasn't topspeed btw - I just let go of the throttle, cause I already felt bad to do that sort of speed on a new bike - it was as stable; quiet and smooth as at 120kph!
Brakes - very good & strong without sudden "biting" or any nasty surprises ...
Great exhaust note - like the old AT!
Suspension felt solid (as if it can handle abuse), yet comfortable to me - Skolla wasn't convinced here...
It is so tractable and smooth, that it can also handle George's congested streets very well at 20-40 kph !  ::)

It's fast, solid and obviously a quality product - I love it !!!  :thumleft:

No, it hasn't got the "bite/scare" of a 990, but it's so smooth that it's difficult to say if there will be a real difference in performance should you line them up ...

I really don't think it's fair to compare the current 800's to it, and I feel where the 990 is/was a rough & ready monster, this AT is probably as rough & ready, but well hidden inside a velvet glove ...

My 2 cents ...

Attachments

• AT1.jpg
    AT1.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 814
  • AT2.jpg
    AT2.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 799
  • AT3.jpg
    AT3.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 782
  • AT4.jpg