Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Macaneta or Inhaca Island Mozambique Advise Please??!!  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Vlekkie

Macaneta or Inhaca Island Mozambique Advise Please??!!
« on: April 01, 2016, 09:52:44 am »
I am planning to go to either one of the two islands at the end of the month with my wife and another couple (will be a cage trip...).  Any of you have gone before and any advise please?  Which one of the two would you recommend and is it worth going there for 4 days?  What I have read on line so far is that it can be a bit boring unless you adopt the island lifestyle vibe.  Have also heard that the government ferry can be challenging at best to get to Inhaca, and that it could be quite pricey and that you almost have to pay for literally everything (park fees, going snorkelling etc etc).  Your advise/comments would be appreciated!

Offline KTM Kev

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Macaneta or Inhaca Island Mozambique Advise Please??!!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 11:39:42 am »
Forget about Macaneta... it is a Mosquito infested marsh land.
Drive to Hell's Gate (Sante Maria) via the elephant park and say at one of those camps.
No Mozzies and locals to piss you off.
Long walks on the beach and good rock and surf.

Offline Vlekkie

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 11:55:11 am »
Forget about Macaneta... it is a Mosquito infested marsh land.
Drive to Hell's Gate (Sante Maria) via the elephant park and say at one of those camps.
No Mozzies and locals to piss you off.
Long walks on the beach and good rock and surf.

Good to know - thank you KTM Kev!  I have spoken to an owner of quite an expensive lodge in Santa Maria.  He says the drive will take 13 hours from Jhb through the Elephant park...  Is it not an option to go to Inhaca and then to Santa Maria?  Sounds expensive to organise a boat though.  What would you comment on a place like Manico Camp Site at Inhaca?  Pesky locals and high risk of Malaria?

Offline FrancoisTz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 12:07:56 pm »
Suppose KTM Kev will not mind if I disagree, please note this is my restricted view. Inhaca is presently almost impossible to reach, no ferry running and a six seater boat trip will cost you $600.00 return. Macaneta is nice and yes, mosquito's although only one malaria case reported recently and that could have been from anywhere, beleive it is the owner of "Tan-'n-bietjie". The border at Ressano Garcia is challanging ot certain times although we have managed through there last weekend again in less than 45 minutes, to SA and back again same time spent. We can discuss further should you decide to come, also look at Bilene, my favourite in Moz, away from home.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline Vlekkie

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 12:48:54 pm »
Suppose KTM Kev will not mind if I disagree, please note this is my restricted view. Inhaca is presently almost impossible to reach, no ferry running and a six seater boat trip will cost you $600.00 return. Macaneta is nice and yes, mosquito's although only one malaria case reported recently and that could have been from anywhere, beleive it is the owner of "Tan-'n-bietjie". The border at Ressano Garcia is challanging ot certain times although we have managed through there last weekend again in less than 45 minutes, to SA and back again same time spent. We can discuss further should you decide to come, also look at Bilene, my favourite in Moz, away from home.

Thank you FranciosTz.  Appreciate your input.  I am getting conflicting information on the ferry - some say the government one is running, others not?  Have had an overnight at Bilene once before - definitely very nice!  Where are you based?

Offline FrancoisTz

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 12:54:36 pm »
Hi Vlekkie, we ar ein Maputo, office in town and we stay in an apartment at the Mare's Shopping Center. The Government ferry might be running, I will enquire. Will however not advice to get onto any of these old ferries, we have seen a few go down in Tanzania and the ones I see in the Maputo harbour look to similar to inspire confidence. We have crossed a number of times on the one at Marracuene, going to Macaneta, as it is not to far to swim should it go down, as is the case across the bay to Catembe. Inhaca however is another story.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline Vlekkie

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 01:03:45 pm »
Hi Vlekkie, we ar ein Maputo, office in town and we stay in an apartment at the Mare's Shopping Center. The Government ferry might be running, I will enquire. Will however not advice to get onto any of these old ferries, we have seen a few go down in Tanzania and the ones I see in the Maputo harbour look to similar to inspire confidence. We have crossed a number of times on the one at Marracuene, going to Macaneta, as it is not to far to swim should it go down, as is the case across the bay to Catembe. Inhaca however is another story.

Thank you FrancoisTz... Oi got to love Africa!

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 01:08:13 pm »
We once flew from Maputo to Inhaca with a two prop 16 seater plane with a pilot that should have been a taxi driver.
Scariest half hour of my life. I saw fuel leaking out the left engine!!!!!!!!!! :eek7:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Vlekkie

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 01:18:20 pm »
We once flew from Maputo to Inhaca with a two prop 16 seater plane with a pilot that should have been a taxi driver.
Scariest half hour of my life. I saw fuel leaking out the left engine!!!!!!!!!! :eek7:

So what to do then!!??  The pictures of Inhaca looks amazing and would love to have an island visit..  Suppose Macaneta or Bilene would then be the answer.  What is there to do at Macaneta though?

Offline KTM Kev

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 01:38:48 pm »
You don't need a boat to get to Hell's gate (it is at the gap in he peninsular that makes Inhanca an island).
While it is technically not an island, it feels like you are on one and the experience is 100  times better than Inhanca (I have stayed at both about 5 times each and the groups all concurred.

Drive time from JHB to Maputo is about 5-6 hours (depending on border).
You then take the ferry to Katemba (a great African experience).
Do yourself a favor and book into the Katemba hotel
Drive time from Katemba to Santa Maria is 5 hours thru the park and an experience in it's own right.

I can arrange dive/fishing/dolphin encounters for you if you wish.

Bilene is also fine, but much less of an "african experience".
Another spot I can recommend is Poemene but the length of the drive is off puttting.

Offline FrancoisTz

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 01:41:55 pm »
Beautiful white beaches and cold beer. People fish, swim, snorkel and lay on the beech. On the Peninsula itself not much to see but heavy thick sand and vegetation. Several lodges to choose from, look on the Internet what they have to offer.

Offline Vlekkie

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 02:45:26 pm »
You don't need a boat to get to Hell's gate (it is at the gap in he peninsular that makes Inhanca an island).
While it is technically not an island, it feels like you are on one and the experience is 100  times better than Inhanca (I have stayed at both about 5 times each and the groups all concurred.

Drive time from JHB to Maputo is about 5-6 hours (depending on border).
You then take the ferry to Katemba (a great African experience).
Do yourself a favor and book into the Katemba hotel
Drive time from Katemba to Santa Maria is 5 hours thru the park and an experience in it's own right.

I can arrange dive/fishing/dolphin encounters for you if you wish.

Bilene is also fine, but much less of an "african experience".
Another spot I can recommend is Poemene but the length of the drive is off puttting.

Thank you! Would you be able to recommend lodging?  I have called some of the lodges I could find on line, but they all seem to be booked for the 27th April - 1 May time (I know I may have left it too late!!).  We are 4 adults...

Offline Vlekkie

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 03:05:26 pm »
Got some space at these guys:

http://www.nhonguanelodge.co.za

They ok?

Offline diebul

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 07:58:34 pm »
Just to add my exp.
Heard from a friend nice camping in santa maria ,haha no need to book haha.
went from kosi to santa about 80km 6 hours fortuner and trailer with family got there ,camping spot almost in town
Didnt want to camp there with kuiering locals and only us in the camp.now about 6 o clock was worried no place to sleep with family.Got hold of one friendly local via a lady owner of one of the chalet camps.He let us camp on his land .Next morning left early as staying in chalets for 6 people a bit exp.o and there are park fees payable per day when going through the park.anyway left early again alot of hours to maputo ferry.heard of tan n biki went there intending to stay 1 night ended staying 7 camping.we loved the place.this was 2 years ago ,not sure now.another ferry at macaneta going there ok leaving ferry driver or  captain didnt pitch for duty waited 8 hours behind 20 cars wanting to cross.
And ,i wont go there again with my rigged fortuner.i have bad luck in mputo everytime they spot me as a SA pull me over keeping there for an hour trying get a bribe for whatever they feel i did wrong .bunch of nuts.let my wife do the talking and eventually they give up .both places had a great island feel and chalets,i just couldnt afford it .