UNWRAPPING THE CAPE FOR CHRISTMAS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildside

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R

UNWRAPPING THE CAPE FOR CHRISTMAS   -  DECEMBER 2015   :santa:

(I Know this is been posted a bit late  but we've had a busy start to the new year.)

Finally…no sleeps left….two very tired people drove out of Howick at 6 am Monday  morning, 14 December 2015, towing  a trailer loaded with 3 motorbikes, 2x 650 XR Hondas and a little Freeride. The planning and excitement of this trip is what has kept us going for the last 6 weeks during the long, busy days and nights of work.

We were initially disappointed about this trip being such a ‘tame’ one as we were both looking for more excitement and adventure. But due to family commitment we settled for this plan. Now that I look back it was a wonderful trip and just what the doctor ordered.

We were heading to Cape Town to meet up with our daughter Roxy and her husband Dan, who were returning from America on the day we were to arrive. The plan was to trailer the bikes to Cape Town, leave the vehicle ,trailer and Freeride with Dan and Rox and find our way back to the wildcoast where we would meet up for new year. The thought of this immediately got my spirits up and a holiday feeling started to settle in.

GRAAF REINETTE was our first night stopover. I have been keen for many years to visit the Valley of Desolation, within the Camdeboo National Park, and now was our chance. There are some amazing geological rock formations and these fascinating columns of dolerite reach heights of 120m which have been shaped over the years by volcanic and erosive forces of nature. The stunning views of the plains in the distance offer the tourist some amazing photo opportunities
  Here we bumped into some adventure riders, whom we vaguely knew, also heading in our direction so by now we were itching to get onto the bikes.

GRAAF REINETTE IN THE DISTANCE.

After a night with family in GEORGE we spent a night in MONTAGU at a divine little B&B called the Lemon Tree. Here we met up with an interesting couple from New Zealand. The guy, originally South African, had recently returned from India where he had toured in the Himilayan mountains on a Royal Enfield. He entertained us with some awesome stories around the breakfast table and once again the riding juices were flowing.

ARRIVING IN CAPE TOWN

The next three days in CAPE TOWN with the kids, were busy and entertaining. A visit to the V&A waterfront, breakfast at the Old Biscuit Mill, Cupcake gorging at Charlies Cupcakes, snoek braais with the in-laws and a full day of wine tasting in the Franschhoek wine lands passed the time away in a flash.

V&A WATERFRONT

WINE TASTING

CHARLIES CUPCAKES

BUYING FRESH SNOEK

SNOEK BEING CLEANED ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD