Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Ugly Duckling sidecar. We have to start somewhere  (Read 9842 times)

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
The Ugly Duckling sidecar. We have to start somewhere
« on: April 04, 2016, 09:00:40 am »
So for a few years I had this mad idea to get a sidecar on my bike. We old toppies are not getting younger, and we need the extra stability from time to time.

BUT !!!! I will not ride another BMW and nobody is interested in getting a sidecar on the Yamaha Super Tenere in South Africa.

So if I want one, I have to make one myself.

But one must crawl before you can run.

So a while back I purchased a sidecar project in PE.  Frame an glass fiber tub.  R900.00..... BARGAIN.
But I decided to put this on my old 1984 Honda XL 600 Dakar special first.  Just to see what it takes to get a sidecar on a bike before I venture into the BIG world.

Let us put this straight up from the beginning..... This current build is NOT PERFECT and a lot of things are against the EXPERTS, but for me she works.
I have ridden other sidecars before and this setup handles pretty well on the road.

We do not have adjustments on the current experiment... all the Toe-in and camber is calculated and build into the frame. But the big one on the XT1200 will be fully adjustable... trust me.

So after I got the tub, I purchased some 38x38 x 3mm square tubing for the frame.
Went to the Classic MMC in Germiston and got 21 inch front wheel.....remember this is a scrambler sidecar of sorts.

I got the basic frame together, but had no idea how to get it on the bike.

So the past Good Friday period we planned to go to Vryburg to visit my brother in law on the farm. I wanted to take Pierre's Xt 125 and the XL 600 with so that he could ride around on the farm ( by the way we had a ball riding the farm roads together).
But if I take the bike, I can just as well load the steel and parts and have my brother-in-law help me out.

So we set of getting the frame on the bike.  I told him about Toe-in, camber etc.
Putting the frame I made at home under the bike he quickly spotted where the mounting points could be.

Remove both footrests, remove the front bolt and 2 spacers holding the engine to the frame.
Turn 2 bigger spacers for the front.  Put them on the bike between the engine and frame.
Then weld some 5mm flat bar on the lot.
Same with the footrests....some 5mm flat bar, some holes and onto the frame.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 10:05:09 am by woody1 »

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
Re: The Ugly Duckling. We have to start somewhere
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 09:04:20 am »
sub

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 09:23:31 am »
So now that we have the frame firmly attached to the bike it was time for the suspension.

So from surfing the web and seeing how Visarends suspension is done, I got the vesconite out...turned some bushes and told Johan THIS is how they do it.
But he scratched his head and told me straight out that it could not work.

Why not... that is how it is done on the rigs I have seen.

He being the practical person tried to explain to me that this L-shape frame jointed on two points need some sort of sideways movement. Well I did not have technical drawings at school and did not understand a thing what he was trying to tell me.

So we rigged up MY way...... WRONG !!! there is so much tension on the bolts going into the frame that a fixed bush type connection just will not work in the long run.

I wonder if this was not the problem on the Visarend karretjie when the front bolt snapped after his Gouda visit.

So we decided to go to plan "B".  I brought along some rose joints for the side struts, but they were 12mm...too small for his liking.

So on the phone to the Vryburg bearing place.  Do you have 16mm rose joints sir.... WHAT is that come back the reply.  After some explaining what this looks like he tell me YES man... I forgot that they are call that and I actually do have some in stock.  Cost us a trip into town, but at least we could stock up on some refreshments... it gets very hot in Vryburg on a farm....in the workshop building a sidecar.  :peepwall:

Sorted!!!  :laughing4:

Then Johan asked me how are we going to bolt this onto the frame..... ag man sommer weld a 16mm nut on the back of a 3mm washer...then weld this washer to the end of the square tubing..... NO !!!!! come the reply... not strong enough.

Maybe a windpomp socket will work... A WHAT.. I have this vision of a socket set being stripped to get my sidecar together.

So the boertjie goes and dig into his scrap pile and find 1 x 16mm windpomp ROD socket..... oooo that thing.  I have used 6 and 8 mm jointers as I called them before, but did not know you get them in 16mm.

So we test fit it, but is was too small to fit in the tube.

Welded some flat bar on two sided of this socket.  Grind them to fit snugly into the 38 square tubing and donderd them into place.  Some welding and now we have a strong nut with plenty of thread to screw the rose joint onto the frame.

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 09:24:52 am »
Poor man.  He was busy fixing up a Buffel to use as a fire truck on the farm, now he is building a stupid sidecar.

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 09:46:57 am »
Now remember this 1984 bike must still have its original rear shock in. After being driven through Africa it is now pretty pap. But it was OK and because I am not a riding god, I rode it like that.

But when it came to fitting a sidecar it causes new problems.

When the bike and the frame is standing normally without a rider on top, we put some LEAN angle into the bike... towards the sidecar.
We got the height of the sidecar wheel worked out and made the wheel hanger bracket.

Shock on en double check... yip some lean of the bike towards the sidecar... just like the books tell you to do it.

Ready Steady GO!!!!!

But fuck I took of and nearly donderd over to the right.

Now I had a little experience before riding a rig, but this thing was handling so badly, I could do no left turn and just could not control it.

Ja swaar said my swarrie.... when you planted your 115 kg dik gat on the bike that pap shock went down like the Titanic with the result that your lean towards the sidecar is now gone and the whole lot want to fall over to the right.... and I cannot get it to lean LEFT as the blerrie sidecar wheel is keeping it on the ground that far side.

So what to do.  No shock on the farm to replace this pap rear shock.
Adjust the sidecar wheel so in its free standing stance it leans more towards the sidecar. That meant a lot of grinding the lot loose, welding a piece on and re weld everything.
Once I am on the bike the lot levels out and now she tracks and rides like a dream.

So on with a piece of plywood clamped with g-clamps.
A bag of 50kg mealies on top of it and Pierre on top of the bag.  There we go.
Now I could handle her and she actually rides pretty well.

Offline zetman

• Grondpad Alie pad
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Plak n Palm...
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 09:49:09 am »
  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:   Lekker Built
 Gooi Uncle  :patch:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:50:03 am by zetman »
Hou die Tyres op die Grondpad...

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 09:51:21 am »
The shock is from Sweisies XJ900 that he bought.  One was leaking and the other one OK.  So onto my scrap build.

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 09:55:44 am »
So after 3 day's on the farm building and drinking we came back home to finis off the rest.
Found some rubber mountings and fitted the fiber glass tub to the frame.

She is still rough. with no screen, no paint and no seat, but that did not stop us from having a jol on the weekend.
Must say she really handles well on the tar road....even had 3 on her when the kids went out to buy some ice cream.

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 09:57:08 am »
We even had time for a brekkie at the Classic MCC in Germiston on Sunday.

Lekker to be with your sons.

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 10:04:23 am »
So now we have to sort out that shock on the bike.
Once that is done I can adjust the sidecar wheel height.... again
Then make a mudguard.
Make a screen.
Put a chair into the thing.
Then get the lot painted.

Forgot to mention...this one will have a separate brake lever on the car so that doing a left turn will be like doing a handbrake turn... got the brake lever from the containers at CMMC yesterday,

and
Then enjoy.  :ricky:

Online woody1

• Forum Whore

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
Re: The Ugly Duckling sidecar. We have to start somewhere
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 12:51:09 pm »
Wel gedaan...met die "Brakpan Side Car"! ;)
Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, KTM 500 XCW

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE

Online Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 01:06:55 pm »
Ja-nee, only in Brakpan   :lol8:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

…, I wish I could own them all, and until I can afford to own them all at once, I will own them one at a time... 

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 01:15:04 pm »
Julle is net jaloers want julle het nie so 'n lekker TOY nie....en julle bly nie in Brakpan nie.  So we-pe...  :imaposer:

Offline africanSky

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 01:36:34 pm »
Very cool Woody. Is there a diagonal brace from the sidecar from  to the top of the bike frame?

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 03:01:47 pm »
No not yet.
The 38 mm square bar is a solid section right through.... if you understand what I mean.
See this picture.

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 03:26:19 pm »
'n Boer maak 'n plan. Goeie werk  :thumleft:. Ek hou die een met 'n valk oog dop.
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR 200R

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 04:02:00 pm »
Het al parte bymekaar begin maak vir die REGTE sidecar op die XT1200ZE.

BMW 325i Dolphin Shape rear wheel Caliper.   R 450.00

Hyundai Getz rear wheel bearing hub assembly
Disk rotor.
Isuzu Clutch Mater cylinder.
Last three items R 806.00

Ok it was with a bit of haggling and puppy eyes... but I got it for a good price.  :imaposer:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:02:58 pm by woody1 »

Online woody1

• Forum Whore
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 04:07:51 pm »
Another picture of the wheelbearing with a flange.... easy to make something to fit this on.

What size wheel should I put on... 17 inch ?

This is 4 stud 100 pcd size.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 04:36:34 pm »
Wow! This should be in the Garage, Projects & Restorations section of the forum.
May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.