Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What 690 model to buy?  (Read 4957 times)

Offline Hugonator

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: What 690 model to buy?
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2016, 08:10:35 pm »
My 2015 has had no problems with 12000 km on the clock..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2016, 10:55:25 pm »

I'm doing the exact same research as Limacon. Following with great interest. Baie goeie info.

Have you made up your mind yet Lima?

Yup,

Here's the list:

KTM 300 EXC for hard rides
KTM 690 Omega for Rallye rides and hard touring
KTM 1190 R for dirt touring and occasional commute
BMW GSA for daily commute and coffee runs
BMW S1000RR for Sunday Rides
Triumph 675R for Saturday Rides
BMW K1600GTL with a trailer for the EXC

Well, one can dream! :drif: :drif: :drif:

I'm going to do a little work on the BMX, ride a couple of other bikes (including 690) and then decide.  No reason to rush into something when I have the freedom of time.

Let us know what you decide - always helpful to have objective feedback.

Cheers,

Lim

Haha ja you hit the nail on the head  :thumleft: My wife gives me this weird 'waddefok' look when I say I need at least 3 bikes in the garage!

I have made up my mind (or is it heart??) on a 690, so I'll let you know in the not too distant future when I get it. There's a lot of scary stories, but also a lot of guys saying they had very few problems with their 690's. And one has to wonder why airbox-conversions, clutch springs, rocker arm bearings etc are necessary for a bike that's been in production for 8/9 years now?? (Kind of pisses one off actually) Although it appears the same guys telling the horror stories, are eventually back on 690s!!!

Guess at the end of the day one goes after the heart, rather than the head if you go for this type of bike. The video earlier of Riehmann sort of sums it up really.

From what I gather the pre-2012 models have better suspension, but the newer models less prone to silly niggles. I've decided to look for a newish model with at least some kit on it - be that Omega or Rally Raid or Alberto Detorri or Safari+screen - as I reckon that's where you get good bang for your buck.

Good luck with the Ex - If your heart however is made up like mine is, I'm sure you'll be back here before too long  ;)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:57:40 pm by Cdp13 »
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.

Offline MaxThePanda

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • As in 'Even more Panda'. Also likes sharks.
    • Team 525
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2016, 07:07:48 am »
Xpat take the bike to Hilton Hayward and have him sort it out. I'd look at front and rear simultaneously. Those issues you describe sound all wrong. Perhaps the springs are too light with all the fairing/tank weight and not holding the forks up in the stroke enough, and then blowing through the valving when you hit a hard edge. Unless you're a serious rally rider you really don't need to put RR forks on the bike - the standard stuff can be made to work just fine. Blowing through the stroke is not related to an out of true wheel or tyre choice.

Offline Xpat

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2016, 09:20:04 am »
I think I may have got carried away on this thread and unwittingly implied that 690 suspension is complete rubbish. That was not my intention - I was just under impression that limacon considers 690 out of box more or less perfect and will not require additional investments, contrary to his current XCH, which I do not think is the case. Yes, I believe 690 is superior to BMW, but it comes at cost and limacon indicated that he doesn't want to spent too much.

I believe - please correct me if I'm wrong here - that KTM consistently comes with the best suspension on the first year models (but those then have usually lots of reliability issues) and then progressively dumbs it down on later models to save costs (or maybe just accomodate shorter riders, but in the case of 690 they went half way through for completely different design with separate compression and rebound damping). They still provide out of box best suspension compared to competition, but seeing what others get away with (especially BMW) they just go cheapo later in the lifecycle, so the difference may not be as much as people may think.

@MaxThePanda: The suspension was done by Hilton front and back - resprung and revalved, and he knew that the rally kit is on the bike. Look it actually works fine 99% of time (back I have no problems with at all), the only problem being that on rare, but for me unpredictable occassions the front comes through stroke like there is almost no compression dampening on really small hits. It is quite rare but in a way that makes it worse as it usually takes me by surprise - which leaves me doubting the bike remaining 99% of time when it works fine. I will ride some more to try to identify the root cause/replicate when it happens so that I can give Hilton some pointers.

The random nature of the thing made me think towards unbalanced/out of shape front wheel (yes it is I can feel it on tar). I'm also going to bleed the air out of the forks - not sure what the air in the forks causes - probably just general deterioration and not random malfunction, but will give it a try.

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2016, 08:36:44 am »
You need air in the forks, it forms the air spring.  Excess must be bled off with the wheel of the ground.  Shim stacks can permanently deform or be damaged.  The nut holding the shims can back off a bit or completely.  Just sent it back for him to check. 

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2016, 01:25:33 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xdKk3I6JXcI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xdKk3I6JXcI</a>

If you are looking for grin-factor with a bit more usability (practicality) than a 450, a 690/701 surely fits the bill.

The only reason for me not having one, is that I don't believe in financing my toys  :'(
:drif:
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Xpat

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2016, 02:39:34 pm »
After riding few more weekends through de Wildt and Limpopo, I have to retrace my comments about suspension. It works actually fine - was quite amazed actually on the whoops in de Wildt. The front still makes funny clack when going airborn - like rebound dampening is not there - but overall I'm very happy now.

Must have been seeing ghosts before...

Offline Cdp13

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2016, 04:44:06 pm »
So I received my 690 this weekend  ;D ;D

2015 model with 12000km on the clock. Alfie Cox Racing installed a Safari tank for me.

I've only had a quick 30min ride on monday, but first impressions are awesome!

I'll be able to give better feedback after this weekend.

Cheers
Wees jouself. Moenie 'n twatwaffle wees nie.