Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge  (Read 4041 times)

Offline SteveD

Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge
« on: April 05, 2016, 11:12:21 pm »
So the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge started a few days ago.

There are a few interesting entries (from http://www.abudhabidesertchallenge.com/ckfinder/userfiles/files/moto(1).pdf)
  • Sam Sunderland
  • Pablo Quintanilla
  • Toby Price
  • Laia Sanz
  • Helder Rodrigues
  • Tony Schattat - of RNS fame
  • Mark Davidson from Australia - remember the Youtube clip of him at Dakar two years ago, coming in a few hours after the rest of the field had left, and being helped by another rider (don't remember who?) who had DNFd? Absolute classic
There is a whole lot of info at http://www.abudhabidesertchallenge.com/,
and live tracking at http://tracking.sporttraxx.com/races/addesertchallenge-2016/
and a FB page full of preedy videos and peechas at https://www.facebook.com/AbuDhabiDesertChallenge/?fref=ts

Some of them that caught my eye:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cfACSbuzjow" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cfACSbuzjow</a>

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:22:55 pm by SteveD »

Offline SteveD

Re: Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 11:19:36 pm »
From stage 2:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uE44Oj6hcxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uE44Oj6hcxE</a>

Arial shot of the mass start. Interesting that the quads and the bikes start together.....

Offline SteveD

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 11:26:19 pm »
Stage 3:

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:26:56 pm by SteveD »

Offline SteveD

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 11:35:36 pm »
So here's the bit that scared me. After three stages, the bike leaderboard is:

1. Toby Price (AUS) KTM 450 Rally Factory 1                                   11:35.07                     
2. Sam Sunderland (GBR) KTM 450 Rally Factory 1                         11:36.04 (that's a gap of just 57 seconds!)
3. Pablo Quintanilla (CHL) Husqvarna 450 Rally Factory 1                11:36.22 (with just 18 seconds to third!) Give those timekeepers some prozak
4.  Mohammed Al Balooshi (ARE) KTM 450 Rally Replica                  12:04.33
5. Txomin Arana Cobeaga (ESP) Husqvarna 450 Rally Replica 1       12:04.37
6. Laia Sanz (ESP) KTM 450 Rally Factory 1/3                                 12:12.24
7. Jakub Piatek (POL) KTM 450 Rally Replica 1/4                             12:13.04
8. Pierre Alexandre Renet (FRA)                                                      12:14.13
9. David McBride (GBR) KTM 450 Rally Replica 1                              12:19.47
10. Jose Ignacio Cornejo Florimo (CHL)                                           12:31.13

From http://abudhabidesertchallenge.com/latest-news-detail.aspx?itemid=714

... it was a spectacularly much better day in the bikes category for Portugal’s Helder Rodrigues who won the stage after mechanical problems 24 hours earlier saw him plunge from contention and required the sweep team to return him to the bivouac.

With the top three again riding virtually in tandem for much of the stage, Australian first leg winner Toby Price reclaimed the overall lead, although his advantage over KTM team-mate, Dubai-based Sam Sunderland, is a slim 57 secs, with Chile’s Pablo Quintanilla just 18 seconds further away on his Husqvarna.

The UAE’s Mohammed Al Balooshi maintained his fourth position despite a crash on the stage, with Spain’s Txomin Arana Cobeaga and talented lady rider Laia Sanz completing the top six.

Happy to have snatched back the bikes lead, Price said: “There’s more and more and more sand, but it was a good trip on the bike and I caught the guys ahead. It was a long day but a great one, and I’m always having fun.”

On completing the stage, Sunderland said: “After Toby caught us he led the way for most of the stage and we just had to follow him after that.” Quintanilla said: “I lost time because I opened the stage but there are two days still to go and there’s a lot of racing left.”

Offline Buff

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 09:42:36 am »
David Thomas from CT is also doing this one onboard his new Husky 450 Ralle. He's been doing very well so far as well. I'm following him on FB under Journey to Dakar  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 11:09:03 am »
Lekker Steve, jy het die taak makliker gemaak om die ren, ADDC, te volg !
Wat van ook so iets vir die Sonora Rally in Meksiko ?

Offline SteveD

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 12:49:47 pm »
David Thomas from CT is also doing this one onboard his new Husky 450 Ralle. He's been doing very well so far as well. I'm following him on FB under Journey to Dakar  :thumleft:

My donder, I had no idea he was a South African.
So his FB page is https://www.facebook.com/Journeytodakar/?fref=ts

Here are some extracts:

Form yesterday:
Hi guys, back in the pits ,At the start this morning, What a good day! Still can't explain how fast it is, one section you leave the base of the dune at around 140km/h and enter the side of it and ride it like a wave for about 500m and back down again, incredible feeling. Top speed today 151kmh 😝 Never ever ridden this fast! Cling is spot on, I received sprit of the day award at last nights briefing, rider who went off the dune in front of me yesterday, I spent time with him and sent SOS signal to helicopter, they were there in 5min, extremely organized Rally. So they gave me time back that my bike stood still. He's recovering in hospital, I heard he fractured his back. Today was very hot, lots of riders struggling with heat exhaustion , got up to 42'c in the desert today. I'm feeling good, hands starting to feel it, but pushing on nicely, got a good comfortable pace going.. Thank you again for your messages, means so much! DT

Offline SteveD

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 12:51:57 pm »
And from about 30 minutes ago:

What a stage!!!!!!!
Thank you guys.. Today had it all!! Felt like I was at Atlantis for 100km of the stage, whoops whoops and more whoops. Then massive soft powder dunes, had to dig bike out twice, 45'c if not more today.
Then I went into reserve 40km from refuel, so those who where watching tracking would have seen I was going really slow for about 30km, and lost 4positions and probably 10min.
Luckily made it in on fumes, then head went down and chased all the guys back in and pulled away, then had gear selector issues, got stuck in 3rd, but again luckily released to finish strong. I gave it absolutely everything today, never pushed myself that far before.
Bike is incredible, on the limiter all day and just feels better and better everyday!
Great to see only 16min behind Toby Price with the day I had.
The only bad news is I might have a speed penalty, slightly too hasty leaving a speed control section of 50km/h
I was clocked at 57km/h 😬😬 Lets hold thumbs 👍🏻
Today definitely tuffest stage, just so happy to be back in and ready to tackle the final stage back to Abu Dhabi.
Hats off to the sweep crew, they going to be busy today.
Again, not sure you realize how much all your support has been, just so lovely
Thank you
DT #25

Offline Hentie @ Riders

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 01:04:23 pm »
 :thumleft:

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's better to burn out, than fade away!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 01:05:39 pm »
Looks like the top 3 got lost or something today while leading out.  Going to be a dice to the flag, that's for sure.
Mine - BMW 1200 ADV, KTM 450 RR; HUSABERG TE 300; Goes 320 Quad
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

>< ( ( ((º >`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸>< ( ( ((º >

Offline SteveD

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 01:14:00 pm »
Lekker Steve, jy het die taak makliker gemaak om die ren, ADDC, te volg !
Wat van ook so iets vir die Sonora Rally in Meksiko ?

Your wish is my command (unless you are at Baja/Amageza, in which case your wish is that I stop giving you so many penalties)
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=190818.0

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 02:37:17 pm »
Dankie BOETA !

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 03:00:07 pm »
Hah, So this thread was started afterall.... ;D

Been following this quietly. Wow what an exiting ADDC this year!
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 03:36:30 pm »
good to see the Saffas competing!  :thumleft:

and daily Laia pic...

"What happen!!? Someone set up us the bomb!! We get signal. All your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's better to burn out, than fade away!
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 04:36:18 pm »
good to see the Saffas competing!  :thumleft:

Which Saffas Wiledog_X?  I cant seem to find any ZAF's on the entry lists for both Moto & Auto.
Mine - BMW 1200 ADV, KTM 450 RR; HUSABERG TE 300; Goes 320 Quad
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

>< ( ( ((º >`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸>< ( ( ((º >

Offline SteveD

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 04:59:35 pm »
From http://abudhabidesertchallenge.com/

In the battle of the bikes, French rider Pierre Alexandre Renet was the stage winner from Chilean Jose Ignacio Cornejo Florimo as he rose to fifth overall.

But fourth best time on the day was enough to make Quintanilla the clear favourite for victory on his Husqvarna as he took a 2 mins 45 secs lead over this year’s Dakar Rally winner Toby Price, with the Aussie’s KTM team-mate, Dubai-based Sam Sunderland, just two seconds further away.

It was a splendid day for top Emirati rider Mohammed Al Balooshi who outpaced Quintanilla, Price and Sam Sunderland, three of the world’s biggest cross country rallying talents, to maintain his fourth place overall.

“This stage once again lived up to its reputation as the toughest in the Desert Challenge,” said Mohammed Ben Sulayem, President of the Automobile and Touring Club, the rally organisers. “But there is still another 234km of competitive dessert rallying ahead and concentration is still very important on the final leg.”
Reaching the end of the ADNOC stage, Al-Attiyah, who captured the Desert Challenge title in 2008, said: “It wasn't easy at all. We did some of this stage yesterday but most was completely new. We didn't take risks – we don't want to make mistakes now.  I’m really happy to finish and looking forward to tomorrow.”
Al-Rajhi said: “That was a hot stage with lots of soft sand. I saw Vasilyev stuck but other than that I was driving alone the whole stage. I’m looking forward to tomorrow's final stage, even though it's a shorter one.”
Looking exhausted after his efforts on the stage, Hirvonen moved quickly away from the end of the stage towards the bivouac without pausing to describe his day.

An always talkative Menzies said: “I didn't feel so good this morning and it was so hot but we started well and pushed hard. We were just behind Nasser and had a great battle with Mikko but then 50km from the end I hit a ditch, losing 5 or 6 minutes after doing so well. It's different for me racing six days straight compared to usual, but I'm constantly learning and really enjoying it. Hopefully I’ll push some more tomorrow.”

Al Qassimi said: “It was a good day but tiring and I decided to mix caution with limited aggression, particularly because of the slight neck injury I sustained on Leg 2 and did not want to aggravate it further. The goal is to finish the Challenge after having to retire on my debut last year. I switched to a more balanced driving strategy, particularly over the last 20km to the finish because it became very hot and I started dehydrating again like yesterday. We will now rest and see how the final day goes.”

Quintanilla, who had led the bikes category at the end of the second leg, said at today’s finish: “It was really hot today, but it was still fun and I enjoyed the stage.”

Sunderland underlined his frustration when he said: “Today was ok, but a bit too much of strategy. That’s a little annoying - I don't like too much strategy.”

Price said: “It was a very hot day. We were lucky on the first few days of the rally when it was much cooler. But that’s another 250km in the bag. One more day to go, should be good. Today was smooth riding most of the time.”

A delighted Al Balooshi commented: “I caught up with the top three and rode with them. I'm in 4th overall and to be 4th after the factory guys is very good. As a small private team I get a lot of support and am so proud. It was tougher today with people having some strategy, but I ride by my own plans and I'm happy to be here and for tomorrow.”

Quads leader Rafal Sonik, Poland’s reigning world champion, said: “Until refuelling it was great. Then the shock absorbers overheated and I just had springs. I had to take it slow in the sectors with drops. Then the steering dampers also overheated. So that made this already difficult stage even more challenging.

Leading positions after ADNOC Stage 4 (Provisional)

1. Pablo Quintanilla (CHL) Husqvarna 450 Rally Factory 1                            15:27.22
2. Toby Price (AUS) KTM 450 Rally Factory 1                                             15:30.07                     
3. Sam Sunderland (GBR) KTM 450 Rally Factory 1                                    15:30.09
4. Mohammed Al Balooshi (ARE) KTM 450 Rally Replica                            15:53.23
5. Pierre Alexandre Renet (FRA)                                                                 15:56.52
6. Jakub Piatek (POL) KTM 450 Rally Replica 1/4                                       16:09.41
7. Laia Sanz (ESP) KTM 450 Rally Factory 1/3                                            16:10.55
8. Jose Ignacio Cornejo Florimo (CHL)                                                         16:17.54
9. David McBride (GBR) KTM 450 Rally Replica 1                                         16:26.56
10. Txomin Arana Cobeaga (ESP) Husqvarna 450 Rally Replica 1                  16:56.44

Offline SteveD

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 05:03:17 pm »
And some more pretty pictures, from https://www.facebook.com/AbuDhabiDesertChallenge

Offline SteveD

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 05:08:02 pm »
From Camelia Liparoti via FB yesterday:

Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge 3rd day of Rally
2nd quad & 15th at Scratch Moto
Love this terrain, but suffering from "dune sickness"... Like on sea...

and from today:
Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge Day 4,
Absolutely Beautiful Special Stage !
3rd Quad of the Stage, 13 minutes from Sonik, 16 min from Casale
2nd overall and 15th Scratch Moto
My quad is perfect, thanks Sebsports !

Offline SteveD

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 05:09:46 pm »
Tobt Price via FB:

I feel so small riding in this picture, these sand dunes are massive and can catch you out very easily. Today was a really weird day, I'm going to bite my tongue on this one! Finished todays stage in 6th and we've got just one more day to go to the conclusion of the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge!

Offline SteveD

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 05:11:44 pm »
Cool picture. Legends of rallye, and in the foreground some well known riders too  :peepwall:
Go David Thomas!