Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge  (Read 4044 times)

Offline SteveD

Re: Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 05:14:55 pm »
Some comments from Tobt Price over the past few days:

Day1

Happy to take out the opening stage of the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge! I started in 39th position as I had the option to choose where I wanted to start from. I charged from the back and passed everyone before the 278km finish. My team mate Sam Sunderland returned to racing after his injury strong with 2nd and only 33 seconds off me, it was great to ride the whole stage with the big fella!

Day2

I think this is what we are going to see for the next 3 days of the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge! Happy to finish Stage 2 in 3rd behind Pablo Quintanilla and Sam Sunderland. Opening the track is the worst thing you can do out here in the desert, but it was a such rad last 15 - 20km from the finish we all pushed like it was a motocross race!

Day3

It was a nice early start once again here at the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge, love this Alpinestars kit! Today was a good day, caught the two guys in front at around the 40km mark and then was leading the way most of the day. It's hard to explain but I'm so lucky to finish 2nd overall today as one guy getting between us front runners could have changed the results big time! Strategy plays a big role in taking the overall win and I don't know that part of it yet. Onto day 4 we go!

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 07:32:56 pm »
And some more pretty pictures, from https://www.facebook.com/AbuDhabiDesertChallenge

The sand looks so unbelievably soft in these 3 pictures.....Makes for really tricky riding. Laia Sanz must be doing a helluva pace to turn the bike like that in that runny stuff. Requires serious balls.

I think I might just have to add this one to my bucket list to do some day.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline SteveD

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 10:18:57 am »
Stage 5 and Overall (unofficial) results are out, at http://timing.sporttraxx.com/races/addesertchallenge-bikes-2016/#results/5

Toby Price caught Quintanilla, and took the overall win.
Our lone South African finished  :thumleft:
What do you have to do to get a 116 hour penalty?

Offline SteveD

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2016, 01:14:10 pm »
From various FB pages:

Toby
The gloves are off after the final day of the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge and what a great day it was! It was a tight race and loads of fun which made the day one to remember. To come away with a win is a bonus but racing these guys is what makes it fun, it feels good to be pushed close to the limit to get the job done, this is what it's all about!
Huge thank you to KTM Factory Racing and the crew for an amazing week and helping us all get to the line, huge team effort 🏆

Sam
What a week, happy to come back strong with a 2nd overall after a tight race with @tobyprice87 and @quintanilla102 all week fighting and pushing, the first 100kms today was like desert motocross on rally bikes was so much fun. Thanks a lot to @ktmfactoryracing for all the work all week to get the job done!

(this from a few days ago)
One of my friends got a clip of me @tobyprice87 @quintanilla102 today during our last 30kms motocross race in the dunes
https://www.facebook.com/sam.sunderland.71/videos/10156723985980285/

Offline SteveD

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 01:16:33 pm »
And some more pictures:

Offline SteveD

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2016, 11:12:36 pm »
Toby Price trying to steal some of David Thomas's limelight. You can't take an Australian anywhere!

Offline SteveD

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 11:16:41 pm »
Loverly Laia:

Day of contrasted feelings. I'm happy for the 6th overall place at the ‪#‎AbuDhabiDesertChallenge‬ and for the experience, but I feel bad for what has happened to Txomin Arana. I hope he gets well soon.

Offline SteveD

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 11:17:50 pm »
And a photo of Sam Sunderland. I think he may have ridden sand before.....

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 11:59:30 pm »
David looks like he could be Coma's brother. ;D

Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Buff

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2016, 05:58:41 am »
Outstanding achievement from David to grab a top 10 on the podium  :thumleft:

It also puts into perspective just how good the lovely Laia actually is because David is one of the top Cape enduro riders and no slouch on a bike.
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Takashi

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2016, 08:37:43 am »
Anyone know what the penalties against Laia is for?

She would have been 4th if not for the penalties!!!

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2016, 10:45:22 am »
I see a few riders have chosen not to wear neck braces for this one.
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2016, 11:30:49 am »

It also puts into perspective just how good the lovely Laia actually is because David is one of the top Cape enduro riders and no slouch on a bike.
Mooi David,
Amageza 2016 David ?

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2016, 03:12:34 pm »

ja noticed that as well. seems the organisers aren't too strict?
"What happen!!? Someone set up us the bomb!! We get signal. All your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline witblitz

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2016, 05:29:01 pm »
Nice to David Thomas riding so well over there.

In the Dakar rally there were also a few top guys that did not wear neck braces.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2016, 07:51:19 pm »
Its highly recommended and encouraged by the orga's but no longer compulsory I believe.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2016, 11:54:28 am »

The organisers want to give everyone a chance to finish and get a finishers medal, so if you are unable to finish a stage duo to mechanical failure or a minor medical issue they will allow you to do the next stages (if the doctors clear you for racing). So what they do is slap you with huge penalties for the WP's you have missed, that way you will collect 116 hours penalties.
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2016, 02:00:05 pm »

Really brilliant result for David, although not that surprising. I have ridden with him in Atlantis and know just how good he is.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline SteveD

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2016, 11:55:30 pm »

The organisers want to give everyone a chance to finish and get a finishers medal, so if you are unable to finish a stage duo to mechanical failure or a minor medical issue they will allow you to do the next stages (if the doctors clear you for racing). So what they do is slap you with huge penalties for the WP's you have missed, that way you will collect 116 hours penalties.

Ja, I wonder about that. So if you start each stage, then you get a finishers medal, no matter how far you get on each stage? Alexander's rule of "your wheels must roll over every kilometer of the course" is harsh, but I think I prefer it. That medal in your hand means you ride the whole dem way, not just that you started each stage and then got moerse penalties for not making it to the finish.
I guess its kinda like the argument whether road marathons should have a cutoff, like Comrades has. IIRC some of  the overseas marathons, like the London marathon, have no cutoff, so you have people running 8 hours plus and still getting a medal. I prefer the drama of the Comrades cutoff gun, and I prefer Alexander's rule.
But I'm not a runner, nor am I a rider......

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2016, 01:46:30 am »
Steve - I fully agree. Today's PC world is one where little Johnny playing in the soccer team must get a medal and no one takes the score because everyone is a winner. What a load of hogwash: Whatever happened to the honor of wearing your team kit and being selected for the team?

In the same way its an honor to make it to the start of the Amageza, and a double honor to finish it. There should be some separation for those who ground their way through every meter from those who took a cut and run.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 01:46:57 am by BlueBull2007 »