Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Buff

Re: Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2016, 05:57:25 am »
Steve - I fully agree. Today's PC world is one where little Johnny playing in the soccer team must get a medal and no one takes the score because everyone is a winner. What a load of hogwash: Whatever happened to the honor of wearing your team kit and being selected for the team?

In the same way its an honor to make it to the start of the Amageza, and a double honor to finish it. There should be some separation for those who ground their way through every meter from those who took a cut and run.

+1 because it's not getting that medal that will bring you back again the next year. Too often a "cop out" medal is given and the person will proudly display it in the man cave as "been there, done that".
Sorry cuzzie, I'm still from the "All or nothing" school  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Skaiidawg

Re: Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2016, 06:10:26 am »
Ja, I wonder about that. So if you start each stage, then you get a finishers medal, no matter how far you get on each stage? Alexander's rule of "your wheels must roll over every kilometer of the course" is harsh, but I think I prefer it. That medal in your hand means you ride the whole dem way, not just that you started each stage and then got moerse penalties for not making it to the finish.
I guess its kinda like the argument whether road marathons should have a cutoff, like Comrades has. IIRC some of  the overseas marathons, like the London marathon, have no cutoff, so you have people running 8 hours plus and still getting a medal. I prefer the drama of the Comrades cutoff gun, and I prefer Alexander's rule.

Steve - I fully agree.
In the same way its an honor to make it to the start of the Amageza, and a double honor to finish it. There should be some separation for those who ground their way through every meter from those who took a cut and run.

I hear what you are saying and are not in disagreement.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 06:12:40 am by Skaiidawg »
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.