Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sonora Rally  (Read 2106 times)

Offline SteveD

Sonora Rally
« on: April 06, 2016, 01:00:36 pm »
Held at the same time as the Abu Dhabi Deseet Challenge, but on the other side of the world,  is "Four days of hardcore off-road  rally in Mexico's beautiful Sonora Desert "

Some links:
http://www.sonorarally.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Sonora-Rally-661873213921418/?fref=ts
Live tracking: http://sonorarally.com/livetracking.html

What is rather interesting (for me, at least) is the timing solution that they are using.
After its debut at the Baja last year (that little American one, not the awesome South African one), Rally Comp appear to have made a few changes to their device, and will be using it as the prime timing solution at the Sonora rallye.

From http://sonorarally.com/details/rallycomp.html
The Rally Comp device provides timing, scoring, pass alert, and navigation functions
A Rally Comp device is required for all competitors, including cars, UTVs, motos, and Safari.
The Rally Comp device will be supplied to competitors at Registration and MUST be used through the full rally.

Even though the Rally Comp has an odometer function, a dedicated rally type odometer (ICO, Terratrip, etc.) is still required.  A GPS based odometer such as the ICO RallyeMax G and Terratrip 303 are acceptable for Sonora Rally as well (not in Dakar though).  A second Rally Comp unit is acceptable as your dedicated odometer.

The Rally Comp supports several mounting options, RAM mount, ICO type two stud mount (fits in a traditional ICO position for motos), or other arrangement using some type of bracket attached to the two rear bolt studs.

Device Description - Race Compliance, Navigation and Safety Instrument

RALLY NAVIGATION
Odometer, Adjustable
Cap Meter / Electronic Compass
Speedometer with audible alerts

COMPLIANCE
Speed Zone Compliance, Tracking, Audible Alerts
Hidden Waypoints (WPM) with penalty Logging, Audible Alert when achieved
Open Waypoints (WPE) with penalty Logging
Show Closed Waypoint with penalty
GPX Track Log
Arrow Guidance for WPMs (normally set for 800m radius in Sonora Rally)  WPM validated when within 50m radius.
ODO Auto Set at Waypoints (disabled in Sonora Rally)
Stage Summary displayed at stage finish

SAFETY
Pass Alert with Audible Alert (cars can "beep" motos when preparing to pass)
Turn On / Show Waypoints with guidance (No Lost Drivers/Riders)
Mandatory STOP at highway crossings and other selected passages, penalty for violation

TIMING (Immediate Stage Results)
Stage Time Calculation
Stage adjusted Time with penalties (Shown WP, Missed WP & Speed Zones)
Wireless stage results transmitted to organization PC at finish line
Results published as riders/drivers arrive at finish

Offline SteveD

Re: Sonora Rally
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 01:03:28 pm »
From http://mylifeatspeed.com/sonora-rally-2016-day-1-update/

The Sonora Rally is off to a solid start with Stage One being a loop in the Sonora Desert, just east of San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora, Mexico. As it was a mix of veteran riders and drivers, and amateur off road racers; it was designed to get everyone used to the unique desert conditions, Rally Raid style navigation, and the technology.  “Today was meant as a ‘test run’ for our competitors, a shakedown of sorts to prepare them for more challenges in the coming days,” said Scott Whitney, co-founder of the Sonora Rally.

One of the biggest draws of this rally is the Dakar Challenge.  It has attracted some of the top desert riders in North America as an incentive and/or transition to the Dakar Rally style of racing.  Many riders have ambitions of competing in the Dakar but as it is a premier challenge in the world of racing, it is just as big of a challenge to gain entry.  The Sonora Rally Dakar Challenge winner gets a free entry for the 2017 Dakar Rally, a prize worth well over $20,000. Quinn Cody, the ASO North American representative, is enthusiastic about helping the Sonora Rally build up to the prestige of races like the Dakar. There are seven entries in the Dakar Challenge this year.

No. 2 Ivan Ramirez
No. 3 Steve Hengeveld
No. 4 Mark Samuels
No. 8 Petr Vlcek
No. 15 John Henson
No. 19 Carlos Yfarraguerri
No. 25 Matthew Glade

As expected, the Sonora Desert pushed the riders and drivers to their limits.  Dakar Challenger, Carlos Yfarraguerri suffered heat exhaustion, many were struggling with fuel needs, and the dunes proved to surprise even the most experienced.

Overall, riders and drivers alike finished the day with a sense of accomplishment and awe.  Tomorrow will see racers pushing themselves even harder to get beyond the newness of the event into full race mode.

Unofficial Top Finishers:
Mark Samuels, No. 4, California, USA
Ivan Ramirez, No.2,  California, USA
Steve Hengeveld, No. 3 Arizona, USA
Quinn Cody, No.1, California USA

If you don’t believe us… here are some quotes from the riders and drivers:

“Climbing over these dunes, you can’t see, [you have] no idea what’s on the other side, [you’re] hoping for the best when you get over the top.” Jayson Walmsley, No. 58

“That was most probably the most insane experience of my life.”
“The sand dunes are like Mt. Everest.”
“That’s so f*cking cool, I can’t wait to do it tomorrow.”
William McBride, G-Wagen, Kraut Racing, No. 55

“I now have an addiction to collecting waypoints, much like the college experiment of rats and cocaine.”
  Kent Kroeker, navigator No. 54

Offline SteveD

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 01:04:16 pm »
Entry list. Some interesting names there.

Offline SteveD

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 01:06:08 pm »
I just like this picture.
What is with the driepootysterpot at the first WP? Pap en sous for everyone?

Offline SteveD

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 01:11:14 pm »
The guy who generated the roadbook, pre-run it, and seems to be a big part of marshalling the event, is Scott Whitney, better known as Hogwild.
He is a roadbook guru, hated by ASO for back-engineering Dakar roadbooks faster than ASO can print them.

I found this on his FB page:

Printing one Sonora Rally roadbook page at a time, quality over quantity, with a little innovation thrown in for the future of Rally!

Now that looks like a standard printer modified to print paper rolls. Very, very neat, except in reply to a request to share more info about he, Hogwild replied "The printer and the paper are my trade secrets, sorry."  :'(

Offline SteveD

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 01:12:24 pm »
More about Rally Comp:

The Rally Comp device (yellow box) will be key in navigating the Sonora Rally. In this shot I'm 0.48km from a WPM (hidden waypoint), and the arrow has popped up to guide me in to the exact point. The arrow pops up when you get within 800 meters (same as Dakar). Once you get within 50 meters you've "achieved" that point and the arrow disappears until you're close to the next WPM in order.

Another great feature of the Rally Comp is the "Pass Alert" function which allows cars to warn bikes or other cars they want to pass (same as Sentinel in Dakar). When the button is pressed in the faster vehicle, a LOUD beeper on the receiving vehicle triggers warning them of the presence of the another vehicle, and giving time for the slower vehicle to move over and make room for a safe pass.

There are MANY more functions in the Rally Comp including automatic timing and scoring, track recording, compass, odometer, and more. It's clear this device will make rally safer and more enjoyable for competitors, and easier to score for the rally organization. We're thrilled to be using it for all competitors in Sonora Rally!

Offline gser

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 02:36:27 pm »
Dankie BOETA ! vir die konneksies !

Offline gser

• Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 02:49:12 pm »
Is the "pass alert"'s time logged ?

Offline markdiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's better to burn out, than fade away!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 04:26:34 pm »
SteveD - The Rally Comp definitely looks like the way for the future or what?  Nice and small, can replace an existing ICO spot, which exist on almost all rally bikes and muuch smaller than the ERTF unit.  Is there any indication if this unit can be purchased, or rented by other Org's like Amageza? 
Mine - BMW 1200 ADV, KTM 450 RR; HUSABERG TE 300; Goes 320 Quad
Missus - BMW 650 GS.

>< ( ( ((º >`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸>< ( ( ((º >

Offline Geel Kat

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 04:36:37 pm »
I just like this picture.
What is with the driepootysterpot at the first WP? Pap en sous for everyone?

Cool picture  :thumleft:

It is a Weber - bar'b'queue...

Offline SteveD

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 04:37:04 pm »
Is there any indication if this unit can be purchased, or rented by other Org's like Amageza? 

Various people have asked about outright purchase of these units. I think they are too early on in their development to have decided on a final business model, so at Baja (again the little American one, not ours) and Sonora the units are provided by the org, with the rental being covered as part of the entry fee.

Anf yes, Camelman is talking to them......

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 12:11:22 am »
It does not replace the ICO but rather the ERTF and sentinel of the ASO. :thumleft:

Steve, Scot Whitney is a freaking nutcase but also a helluva nice guy. I suspect he works with the NSA on their drone thing because he has access to some pretty amazing high res google earth type pictures, which you cant get on GE.

Anyway, he also rides a Hog in the desert dunes - with a sidecar. I once got to dice that baby, and he hit 98miles/hr and left me behind, with a monkey in the sidecar!

The printer thing is not sich a big deal - I can tell you how it works, but its just so typical of him to say its his secret. ;D  We are mutual admirers of one another because a few years ago we used to complete on working out the Dakar route each day. Needless to say we got it right before the stage. Google fu ;)

Hi roadbook are AWESOME, the most detailed roadbooks I have ever used. He has around 15,ooo MILES of roadbook routes in Nevada and Arizona, and is th go-to guy if you ever want to practice rallying there, and is well know for his famous Grand Rally route which goes around the grand canyon. Only the top guys in his inner circle get to ride that.

>the man himself with his Hog behind him.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 12:16:54 am »
One of his route goes right past a Whorehouse in Pahrump close to refuel. Its marked as a !!! on the left and a warning not to look or turn left. :imaposer:
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline gser

• Race Dog
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 09:31:31 am »
LOL !

Offline SteveD

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 09:37:01 am »
Pomp regs, nie links nie.
So what would the tulip look like?

Offline gser

• Race Dog
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 10:12:25 am »
Lips ?

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 11:21:51 am »
Pomp regs, nie links nie.
So what would the tulip look like?

Had a skull and cross bone image on the left, and a warning that this hazard has caught the best of even the elite riders.  :lol8:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 11:22:36 am by BlueBull2007 »

Offline SteveD

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 02:53:34 pm »
Found this on FB, explaining how the Rally Comp is used:

While I'm deep into making the roadbooks and technical GPS stuff, this sample of navigating to two WPMs in a wide open dune area came to mind.
We spend a great deal of time planning ever inch of the course, every road we pick, every approach to a waypoint, every dune ridge you may cross along the way. It's all planned to give just the right level of challenge, adventure, and fun!

Brian C. Englund Out of curiosity, what happens in the overlap of the red circles (Venn diagram style) if you don't hit the first WPM? Say I've veered too far right on the first HP section. Will the rally comp still give me an arrow to the first? Joe Allen, have a look bro.
Or better yet, what happens if I'm a real dumbass (or trying to cheat I suppose) and I miss the first red circle altogether and end up within the second immediately?

Scott Whitney The Rally Comp is set to work with one WPM at a time. If you don't get close enough to the first one, it will not recognize the second one. You have to find your way to the first one. Then it will allow the second one to pop up once you're within the red circle. If for some reason you can't make it to the first one, you have to tell the Rally Comp to skip it and go on to the next (and receive a penalty). That's a couple of button pushes, using the cheat sheet we will provide.

Offline SteveD

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 05:20:38 pm »
Via Lyndon Poskitt FB:
Overall results from Sonora Rally. Really pleased with my performance considering the competition and the size difference of my bike. I worked for it but was rewarded, another step towards #Dakar2017. #racestoplaces #basilbike #mallemoto

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 08:11:55 pm »
Steve, hope you show this stuff to Alexander :deal:

Its exactly how the ERTF works as well.