Starter dragging some times.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamilton

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Need some ideas, advice. My 2008 has had a dragging starter most of the times. When starting, the motor does not spin like it should do. I have lived with it but now want to see if I can sort it out. Put in a new 12A/H battery. Tested voltage, 12,65 volts. Left it on my charger for 24 hours, 12,74 Volts. When starting bike sometimes voltage will drop to 6,5v until motor fires. Bike does start very easily, normaly only one swing of motor. Voltage jumps straight back to 12,6v. The battery indicator on the dash comes on for about 3 seconds then goes off, this showing a low voltage or faulty battery. I then put on a DC clip on amp meter and started the bike. Current goes up to 160 amps for a second or two then normal when bikes starts. Is this normal? Should I have a 14A/H battery?
Is it the starter motor that needs a service? Bike currently on 46000Km. Bike serviced by agents. Possibly the solinoid not making good contact?
Any ideas please chaps.  :thumleft: