I FOUND AN ANGEL IN AN ANCIENT LAND OF HONEY AND DONKEYS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the mad donkey

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR125L
As everyone knows - living in paradise gets boring sometimes - so I chucked the poodle into the car, left the pussy with extra food, water, cat litter and her favorite TV station on and we decided to hit the road until the end of the road!!!
This happened to be Wupperthal in the cedarberg wilderness. And it truly is wilderness!!
Get through to Vlanwilliam as fast as possible because all the areas you go through are either just plain pretentious and boring or ridiculously over priced!!
THEN the adventure begins.
Go straight past clanwilliam and onto Wupperthal. The first pass is Pakhuis pass which is very pretty and very mild. THEN you turn onto the Wupperthal road. 7 kms of tar road and you are thinking "oh this is pretty but not extraordinary - WAIT!!! The three or four dirt road passes you go through are hair raising! Now and then you will get a splat of cement on the road but that's it!  The views are breathtaking and most of the road can only take one car.
But lots of stops are required. For me it was mostly to throw up and change my broeks!
The poodle was sitting in the back seat getting more and more constipated.
This is a MUST do for all riders. But wait there's more!!
Get to Wipperthal and take some pics of the oldest missionary station in SA and Leipoldts house - click click - then get the fuck out of there - the best is yet to come!
Back up over the hill and turn left to  Heunenvlei.
You will only travel about 18 kms but it feels as if you have travelled 170kms back back into a time space journey of back back back. You will get there and officially be in the CENTRE of the cedarberg mountains. Adjoining land is cedarberg wilderness park and up the road is Tankwa National Park.
The tourism department has built a few "backpacker" lodges which are run by the community and for the community.
Spotlessly clean, safe, friendly. And breathtakingly beautiful.

I was bitterly disappointed in Wupperthal as the people seemed almost antagonistic in their unfriendliness and basically the entire town was closed!! On a weekend when city folk and tourists are rushing around with credit cards at the ready - they are closed.
Wupperthal is the CENTRE town which caters to fourteen surrounding hamlets.
Very VERY definitely worth a weekend stay.
Or station yourself at Heunenvlei and spend time riding to the surrounding hamlets.

They specialize in donkey cart tours which I am very definitely going to do.
This is a MUST.
It was so dark and so quiet at the lodge that I got up and switched the fridge on so I could have some noise.

There is absolutely NO light pollution from anywhere.

They offer meals made by the locals and fresh baked bread as well but this must be pre booked.

I was so nerve wracked that when I drove in I was partially a nervous wreck. The manager gave me and the poodle food out of her own freezer and a long incredibly informative talk about rooibos and how to prepare it. I left with a huge bunch of rooibos and a big bunch of buchu.

Will try to download pics .
GO THERE!!!!!