Africa Twin opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakes1

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
So - after all the hype I got to ride the new Africa Twin at Anura the weekend. I will try to give a short but detailed opinion.
Well done Honda SA for having 9 or 10 bikes available on the day. Well organised with a bit of tar and a bit of gravel on each outride.
The one thing every biker will tell you when getting on the bike is that it feels very small - ( some brands say the same of their bike to try and forget that it weighs a ton ) - but in this case it's really true. Specifically it felt very short and when going feels like one could through it around very easy. I also immediately got the feeling that it's a well built "solid" bike - no rattles or poor materials used. The screen works well and although you still get wind in your face ( I'm 1.85m ) it's clean air and no buffeting was experienced. This is obviously because of the good design of the screen. I also like the well designed handguards that 'clicks' of when you fall to avoid your arm getting stuck and breaking - small things that will make this bike sell well. I like the instrument panel but found it hard to read it in the sun and with some dust on the screen - but it didn't put me off too much though. The power is very smooth and although I didn't get the chance to open it up properly I can see how one can sit and ride it day in and day out. Very smooth, nice torque and plush suspension. The suspension felt really good when we were on the tar but it felt too soft when we hit the gravel. Having said that - all these bikes were on standard settings and is adjustable to your preference. I wish motorbike brands that have these days would rather setup  the suspension slightly harder. In my opinion this will be better than getting the odd - 'suspension is not good enough and I bottomed out once or twice". Do the effort with the suspension set up as well as the handle bar setup - the bike I rode looked and felt like a dog with wet and hanging ears.
So all in all a good bike that i'm sure will sell well - HONDA reliability - but:
Small niggels that wouldn't put me off from buying it:
1. foot pegs way too small
2. Very slightly under powered - this of course depends on who's riding it. ( will explain later )
3. A little expensive - my choice would be the 169K abs and traction control version, but at that price your choices are huge.
Pro's - too many to mention all but;
1. Good looking bike
2. When riding it I immediately felt the Honda presence of reliability and being a 'solid no bullshit bike'. You will understand what I mean when you ride it.
3. Power delivery smooth
4. Brakes - excellent
5. Screen - great
6. I like the 21 and 18 inch front and back wheel - with tube ( thank you )
7. etc......
BUT>>>>>>>>>>>
When the day was over I got onto my KTM 990R and headed home - let's just say the smile on my face was a bit bigger. The WOW and hooligan factor of the KTM is un comparable. With more power and suspension that is superior too all other bikes,  I will find it hard to sell her now in exchange for the new AT - HOWEVER ( again ) - the 990 is of the market, so the question really is - will I sell/swop my 990R for a AT right now - NO. But in a few years time when my bike is tired and old and I look at something to replace her I will definitely take a hard look at the AT. I would go as far as to say that if I was to enter the ds market now and have never ridden any other ds bike and have the money - don't look any further than this. This is probably the best all rounder 1000cc adv bike you can buy brand new right now. Well refined and with a couple of changes:
1. A nice aftermarket pipe to make that twin scream proper
2. better footpegs
3. slightly raised bar

.............and congratulations - you now own a legend that will put a smile on your face every time you ride and tears to others on the roads less travelled.

I am looking forward to taking it on another proper ear opening ride. This bike has potential.......