Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Lower crash bars advice  (Read 6252 times)

Offline greper

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
Lower crash bars advice
« on: April 11, 2016, 09:19:52 pm »
Hi guys,

Need some advice and opinions here... I have the BMW cylinder head covers fitted, but in hindsight should have fitted lower crash bars. The BMW lower crash bars don't work together with these cylinder head protectors.
Any recommendations on any that are good and do? I see the SW-Motech brand look good but seems to form a square around the cylinder head, which doesn't really protect it if you fall on an uneven surface with rocks I suppose?

Opinions and advice welcome :)

Cheers

Greg
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 09:37:46 pm by greper »
One Life Live it! (is what I should do...!)

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
Re: Lower crash bard advice
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 09:38:14 pm »
Take off the covers and fit BMW Crashbars. Best option IMHO

Offline greper

Re: Lower crash bars advice
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:44:03 pm »
Thanks draadwerk - the BMW items do seem like good quality, both from a robustness and fit perspective.... pricey of course!

Offline Copernicus

• Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 10:31:25 pm »
The crashbars (OEM) on the new bikes are much better designed than on the pre-LC bikes and they do a good job too.  I don't have experience but there are engine guards from Wunderlich and Touratech that are supposed to fit with the OEM bars.  And obviously they will also fit with the Touratech and Wunderlich bars.  But those parts are expensive.  I also think the OEM bars are the best looking but that is my personal opinion.  I don't think there will be much of a price difference between OEM and, for example, Touratech, especially in SA.  I generally found that Touratech is double the price in SA (compared to Europe).  For Wunderlich the SA prices are about 2/3 more than the European equivalent.  That is perhaps because the stuff is made here.

But to get back to your question - I support the view of Draadwerk.  Get the OEM bars.  You wouldn't need anything else.
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline w@nted

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Ride to Work and Work to ride...
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 08:52:17 am »
I have just fitted the sw motec lower crash bars. Very impressed with the quality and robustness of them  :thumleft:

They will fit over your current cylinder protection, which imo will give you great protection.

What I like about the sw motec bars:

Black color matches perfectly with my bike's black frame.
The bars are nice and narrow, does not stick out much wider than the cylinders.
If I lie the bike down on the crashbars, no part of the cyclinder touches the ground, but as you mentioned protruding rocks might scratch the cylinders.

Last positive is the price, much cheaper than oem bars...
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 10:44:52 am »
I have just fitted the sw motec lower crash bars. Very impressed with the quality and robustness of them  :thumleft:

They will fit over your current cylinder protection, which imo will give you great protection.

If I lie the bike down on the crashbars, no part of the cyclinder touches the ground, but as you mentioned protruding rocks might scratch the cylinders.

Post a picture for the man!  ;D :thumleft:

Offline w@nted

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 10:53:35 am »

Post a picture for the man!  ;D :thumleft:

Will take some pics and post tonight  :thumleft:
Bikes: Honda CB1, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800GS, BMW R1200GS DOHC, BMW R1200GS LC Trophy edition, Husqvarna 701 Enduro

Offline greper

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 08:40:23 pm »
You guys are all fantastic thank you!  :) I was sold on the OEM BMW bars until the post from w@nted!  ;D The price difference looking at the set on gpsafrica is really good! Decisions decisions!!!!

Offline w@nted

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 07:48:21 am »
Here are some pics as promised:

I am very happy with them so far, although I have not crash tested them...

Offline w@nted

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 07:49:18 am »
More...

Offline Noneking

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 10:59:25 am »
It really does look very good on the bike!  :thumleft:
2006 HP2 Enduro 1229
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 11:46:48 am »
Before and be-after photos.  Thanks  :thumleft:  They do look good.

The OEM bars are more in the direct line of fire when the bike lies on its side.  With those above, I think the pod protectors will work well since the bars seem to be more around the cylinder than covering the top.

However,  I am still of the opinion that crashbars are of little help during a real crash.  They are more for low speed 'incidents' like falling over in a parking lot or stalling on a difficult section somewhere.  But during a high speed fall everything is usually fubar.

Offline Pavlovski

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • www.jamiezone.co.za FOR ALL YOUR WÜRTH PRODUCTS
    • www.jamiezone.co.za
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 06:32:20 pm »
If I'm not mistaken Wild@Heart also manufactures crash bars that'll fit with the cylinder head covers.
Currently owns: BMW R1200R & Honda CX500

Previously owned: BMW R1150GS, BMW G650GS, BMW R1150R, Suzuki SV1000, Suzuki DL650 V-strom, Hyosung GT250, BMW F800ST, BMW K1200S, Harley XL1200 Sportster Custom, SYM 125 Scooter, BMW G650 X-Country

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 09:57:50 am »

The OEM bars are more in the direct line of fire when the bike lies on its side.  With those above, I think the pod protectors will work well since the bars seem to be more around the cylinder than covering the top.

However,  I am still of the opinion that crashbars are of little help during a real crash.  They are more for low speed 'incidents' like falling over in a parking lot or stalling on a difficult section somewhere.  But during a high speed fall everything is usually fubar.

Define high speed crash?
With the amount of falling I do and have seen from others, crashbars is a non negotiable. I have somersaulted the bike at 80kmph also and still finished my journey (on thick sand though)
One of the GS trophy vids shows a guy overcooking a corner and falling rather hard, without crashbars he would have had serious issues but was fine.
My stepfather fell on a low water bridge and almost shaved the Rombux bars on his S10 through the pipe...bike was still fine. Thats not a mere sidestand incident.

So in other words, I dont really understand the point you are trying to make? Are you against crashbars? will you only fit crashbars for slow speed events and remove for any long road trips?
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 10:19:26 am »

Define high speed crash?
With the amount of falling I do and have seen from others, crashbars is a non negotiable. I have somersaulted the bike at 80kmph also and still finished my journey (on thick sand though)
One of the GS trophy vids shows a guy overcooking a corner and falling rather hard, without crashbars he would have had serious issues but was fine.
My stepfather fell on a low water bridge and almost shaved the Rombux bars on his S10 through the pipe...bike was still fine. Thats not a mere sidestand incident.

So in other words, I dont really understand the point you are trying to make? Are you against crashbars? will you only fit crashbars for slow speed events and remove for any long road trips?

Well, I yield to your superior knowledge and experience.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 10:38:55 am »

Define high speed crash?

Sorry meneer. but what is an opinion if you cant defend it?

Ek vind daai n snidy opmerking, wou regtig jou redenasie hoor. Maar cool

Offline Copernicus

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 11:15:21 am »

Define high speed crash?

Sorry meneer. but what is an opinion if you cant defend it?

Ek vind daai n snidy opmerking, wou regtig jou redenasie hoor. Maar cool

Ons dwaal bietjie van die punt af, maar...  Daar is geen rede om my aan te vat nie.  Ek het bietjie gaan kyk na jou posts en ek is ernstig met wat ek gese het -  ek kan nie saampraat met al jou ondervinding nie.  As die crashbars skade aan die enjin kan verhoed, selfs in 'n relatief ernstige mishap teen 80kmph+, dan is dit verblydendende nuus. 

Offline plaky

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 12:00:37 pm »
I have Rockfox on mine, good price and great quality, got the top and bottom installed. You can Google them.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 12:08:19 pm »

Ons dwaal bietjie van die punt af, maar...  Daar is geen rede om my aan te vat nie.  Ek het bietjie gaan kyk na jou posts en ek is ernstig met wat ek gese het -  ek kan nie saampraat met al jou ondervinding nie.  As die crashbars skade aan die enjin kan verhoed, selfs in 'n relatief ernstige mishap teen 80kmph+, dan is dit verblydendende nuus.  

Nee man, as ons nie semi on-topic strond praat nie...gaan die draad elkgeval dood

My ondervinding is maar matig, ek ry ander dag agter n tjom aan op sy 950 en hy op my GSA op n MX baan dat ek steeds nie kan byhou nie, nie eers amper nie. ek val ook by verre die meeste in die vriendekring so weet nie of daai ondervinding is om op trots te wees wat jy daar noem nie.

Mooi rooi meneer in jou profile pic sien ek nou...toe sien ek Vosburg....awesome paaie daar!! juis op daai trip waar ek my gat so afgeval het.

Groete

Back on topic...I thought the Touratech options looked very good and I will definitely want them someday on my LC. Have seen them being tested on the various courses and such, but that SWmotech will definitely be a lot cheaper and looks very solid to me, I would say definitely good enough but may be a bit heavier, dont know if that is something that needs concidering though.

Offline Grensvegter

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 05:13:24 pm »
Ek het toevallig die opgesit vandag. Machineart Xhead covers saam met Touratech bars. Baie duur oefening maar ek rook nie en drink net bietjie en was nog nie die jaar by Teazers nie.