Why I'll NEVER rent from Motorrad Executive Rentals-Johannesburg again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doogle

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Three of us rented Sertao 650 BMW's from Motorrad Executive Rentals in Johannesburg from February 5-29 of 2016. The rentals were paid for about a month before we got there. They put a $1610 hold on each of our credit cards before we took possession. We had the bikes insured. But this was the amount we would need to pay before the insurance started paying. I believe the guy we talked with at the shop was named Jason. He said nothing would be charged to the cards if the bikes came back undamaged other than normal wear and tear.

When he inspected the bikes before we left,I was a little concerned. I think he was noting everything that resembled a scratch.
When we returned the bikes he saw some scratches on the underside of the hand guard plastic. I did drop the bike in some sand-near stopped. When it happened I looked at the guard and didn't notice anything. He did. He said they would need to take the guard off and repaint. I said bull shit. Your not going to do anything to it. Nobody will ever see it. You just want to inflate your charges. Then I said what are you going to do about the 1/2 day we lost because my chain broke? And the $25 it cost to have the bike towed to a hotel. They sent a guy out to put a new chain on. But we had 3 rooms prepaid which we lost. And the day I had to push my bike to a hotel and figure why I lost all electric? Luckily I brought tools. I had to take a rack off to get the seat off. The fuses and battery are under the seat. The battery terminal was 2 turns loose before I had to tighten with a screw driver. What maintenance!

I checked my chain a couple times every day. 2 weeks later I see the master link clip is missing. I bought some JB Weld and some safety wire to secure it for the rest of the trip.

4 days before returning the bike I see water dripping from the motor. The head gasket area is damp. The last week and a half of the trip I was riding alone. I decide I must cut my tour and head back towards Johannesburg. I never had to add water to the reservoir. But the gasket could let go at anytime. And I had a plane to catch. Also I didn't know if the head gasket was leaking into the oil system.

The other guys had some problems too. A broken subframe bolt. A noise from the front wheel. One bike was exchanged for a BMW 700. So, in the end Jason said we'll call it even. I said there is nothing even about it. But we just wanted to go.

A week later my wife says what is this $1610 charge dated Feb 26,2016? They charged me the hold as if I had wrecked the bike. In-fact they charged each of the 3 that amount. And they charged it before we were supposed to return the bikes. They rent bikes to make a living. That is their job. I don't think it was a mistake. All 3 of us.

Now it is a month and a half later and they haven't done anything to correct it. We all went to our credit card companies and disputed it. So we are waiting for them to respond to the credit card companies.