Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What's the dumbest thing you've done with your bike?  (Read 6097 times)

Offline Stev0

• Bikeloos...
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • dot dot dot
    • Adventure Magazine
Re: What's the dumbest thing you've done with your bike?
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2008, 07:46:13 am »
when i was 19, I rode a Bandit 400V, while this was a kiff little bike, You always end up showing off in front of your tjommies.

Anyways, when theres girls involved it takes showing off to a whole new level.

So there we are supporting some of the girls at a local netball game, i cruise in with my bandit, standing up nogal, trying to do the bicycle balance thing .. you know where you flip the bars from right to left - Yes i wanted to be fancy and i wanted to be cool ...

Just before i actually got the bike to stand still for like 5 seconds, me still standing up, I lose balance and yes its time to put the right foot out.. my shoelace hooks around the back brake lever and i donner to the ground like a sack of oranges.

moer ill never forget that day.

Offline lecap

« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2008, 08:31:29 am »
That's the most I've laughed in ages.
It took me almost 2 hours to read though this all.

The people in the office must think know I do no work..
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline ActionAnt

• Not so
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2008, 08:47:03 am »
That's the most I've laughed in ages.
It took me almost 2 hours to read though this all.

The people in the office must think know I do no work..
LOL! You been spying on me!?
For dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Offline malgat (RIP)

• RIP 17/06/1953 - 29/10/2009
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • IF WE LIVED BY THE RULES WE'd NEVER HAVE ANY FUN
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2008, 04:16:51 pm »
ok,,,one more

this was just before i had a motorbike,,,

i changed my bicycle into a chopper kinda bike,,,,

took the seat off and made brackets to make the seat longer to hold two people,,at first it was only plank until it cracked through and started pinching me,,,later i  covered it with foam and fake leather

made some ape handles and lastly bent some flat steel and made footpegs at the front wheel,,,real easy rider

now i had a cruiser chopper bike,,,,,so the first time i test it out im cruising down a downhill, shift back on my seat, hang onto my ape handle bars and as i try and put my barefeet on the footpegs i push my one foot into the spokes,,,not deep but just enough to cut a sliver of skin of from sole directly under my big toe,,,ouch,,,very sore and its bandaged for 6 weeks

so 6 weeks later i try again and its not 5 minutes and i put the same foot again through them spokes,,,same skin sliver neatly sliced,,,again,,,,dumb

anyway i took the footpegs off and actually had a great time with my bike,,,i made the ape handles from galvanized piping and sometimes it would slip forward in its brackett when i brake,,,but that was ok,,,,i could lift my cherrie on the back seat,,,very cool
IEP KRUGER
Suzuki TS400
KTM 125
AFRICA TWIN XRV750

Ganjora

« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2008, 06:30:46 pm »
after washing my new baby,  i decide to ride her 20meters to her sleeping place.
the ride was on wet grass
as i turned gently to the right the rear wheel just disappeared from underneath me.
1 x right mirror
1 x brake pedal

the wash cost me over R1500
the brake pedal has STILL not arrived (a month now....)

don't worry, 
got the KLR out,
and taught the grass a lesson...

Online fixit

« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2008, 06:36:43 pm »
after washing my new baby,  i decide to ride her 20meters to her sleeping place.
as i turned gently to the right the rear wheel just disappeared from underneath me.
1 x right mirror
1 x brake pedal

don't worry, 
got the KLR out,

That's it.......get some off road tyres :imaposer:.
Happiness is not getting what you want, but appreciating  what you already have.

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2008, 08:12:32 pm »
1 x right mirror
1 x brake pedal

don't worry, 
got the KLR out,

Dude, you're always teaching the grass a lesson!    >:D
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2008, 09:17:32 pm »
1 x right mirror
1 x brake pedal

don't worry, 
got the KLR out,

Dude, you're always teaching the grass a lesson!    >:D
Lesson should be not to wash a bike on the lawn... did that with my Z750 one day, went inside for a cold drink and as I come out I see the bike has now leaned over on the side stand... it was on the main stand... that was a lucky break.  :o

Offline lecap

« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2008, 08:32:45 am »
Lesson should be not to wash a bike on the lawn... did that with my Z750 one day, went inside for a cold drink and as I come out I see the bike has now leaned over on the side stand... it was on the main stand... that was a lucky break.  :o

Lesson is you first have a drink which should be decanted from a tin as you might cut your feet if you place the sidestand into a smashed bottle.
Then you flatten the tin and put it under the side stand.
If you want to use the centre stand you will have to finish off two cold ones before commencing the wash.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

masehare

« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2008, 09:43:41 am »
1 x right mirror
1 x brake pedal

don't worry, 
got the KLR out,

:)

Not bike related, but in the same line: YEARS ago a friend of mine got a new Golf Mk1 and when his parents were away, it was great fun for him to do handbrake turns on the lawn (wet from early morning dew). So one day he rolled the car on the lawn - he didn't know his father had laid a sprinkler system the day before and while the car was going sideways, both wheels on one side caught a pipe trench. Oooopppssss....

BigEd

« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2008, 09:13:11 pm »
I love this fret - best one ever!

Funny ;D ;D ;D

Offline Philopuis

• Puppy
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2008, 09:48:27 pm »
in die 80 het my plaas scrambler gaan staan soos gewoonlik met en of ander fout.Maar gelukkig het my ma met die plaas bakkie tot my reding gekom ,nadat ek soos n besetende al klaar die bike aan die brand try skop.My oplossing was dat my ma my moet tou,ek het die tou om my shocks vasgemaak en aan die bakkie, toe ek die teken wys om te gaan het sy met n kark spoed weggetrek wat die bike onder my gat uitgeruk het ,sy het nooit terug gekyk en die bike gesleep op sy sy vir baie ver met my gillend agterna..(Moet nie vir n boervrou om hulp vra nie hulle is agressiewe ryers wat nooit terug kyk )

Offline Kat

• Race Dog
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2008, 10:18:39 pm »
in die 80 het my plaas scrambler gaan staan soos gewoonlik met en of ander fout.Maar gelukkig het my ma met die plaas bakkie tot my reding gekom ,nadat ek soos n besetende al klaar die bike aan die brand try skop.My oplossing was dat my ma my moet tou,ek het die tou om my shocks vasgemaak en aan die bakkie, toe ek die teken wys om te gaan het sy met n kark spoed weggetrek wat die bike onder my gat uitgeruk het ,sy het nooit terug gekyk en die bike gesleep op sy sy vir baie ver met my gillend agterna..(Moet nie vir n boervrou om hulp vra nie hulle is agressiewe ryers wat nooit terug kyk )

Aai aai ou Buis,smaak my die ongeluk ry jou al kleintyd
KTM 990 Adv S

Offline Philopuis

• Puppy
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2008, 10:40:44 pm »

Aai aai ou Buis,smaak my die ongeluk ry jou al kleintyd
Mens leer maar uit jou foute dit is deel van die lewe

Offline Shrek

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2008, 09:26:41 am »
Worst thing I ever did with my bike is park it behind my mates wifes bakkie yesterday. She needed to go somewhere and forgot the bike. Reversed into it properly. My new pony with 500km on the clock is now broken, broken, broken.

Online Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2008, 11:17:58 am »
Very nice thread... baie snaaks ;D
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef

Offline GundaGunda

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Kymco (all models)
« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2008, 06:10:02 pm »
I think this is more "unfortunate" than "dumb", but you can judge.

Went on a solo ride to the Shembe religous village on Mtabatula in the Valley of 1000 hills in KZN.

I ask the fella with the long white robes at the gate (S29 42.068 E30 53.478) if I can ride through the village and take a look. He says sure, but they have two rules. No photographs and no footwear of any sort.

The footwear rule is something to do with the Lord tjooning Isia Shembe to take off his on the mountain and he never put them back on.

No Problem. I promise not to take photos and take off my boots and socks and dangle them with a bit of string around my neck and head into the village. Amazing place and well worth a visit.

Now I have changed the rubber pegs from the KLE to Suzuki metal ones and the sharp metal is seriously eina on the soles of my pink townie feet, so as soon as I get through the village I head for a nice radiant patch of green grass with beautiful yellow flowers to put my boots back on.

Yup, you farm guys are way ahead of me. It was not grass but dubbeltjie thorns and I put my pink foot right into the middle of them. It is so eina I lift my foot back up again and the KLE topples gently over with me on it and now I have thorns in my thigh and butt and the KLE is on it's side on my leg. Any movement I make and I get stabbed by more dubbeltjies.

Hell. It took me a while to get myself out of that patch of thorns.   
Retired from Adventure Riding.
KLE500 & XTZ660 Gone *sigh*
Now Scooter Commuter & Softroader Softie.

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2008, 06:14:04 pm »

Went on a solo ride to the Shembe religous village on Mtabatula in the Valley of 1000 hills in KZN.

I ask the fella with the long white robes at the gate (S29 42.068 E30 53.478) if I can ride through the village and take a look. He says sure, but they have two rules. No photographs and no footwear of any sort.

The footwear rule is something to do with the Lord tjooning Isia Shembe to take off his on the mountain and he never put them back on.

No Problem. I promise not to take photos and take off my boots and socks and dangle them with a bit of string around my neck and head into the village. Amazing place and well worth a visit.

Now I have changed the rubber pegs from the KLE to Suzuki metal ones and the sharp metal is seriously eina on the soles of my pink townie feet, so as soon as I get through the village I head for a nice radiant patch of green grass with beautiful yellow flowers to put my boots back on.

Yup, you farm guys are way ahead of me. It was not grass but dubbeltjie thorns and I put my pink foot right into the middle of them. It is so eina I lift my foot back up again and the KLE topples gently over with me on it and now I have thorns in my thigh and butt and the KLE is on it's side on my leg. Any movement I make and I get stabbed by more dubbeltjies.

Hahahahah... Gunda, that is one of the best. But you know a million stories, tell a few more...
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Jumper

« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2008, 09:25:44 pm »

The funny thing is you always walk into the middle of the dubbeltjie patch before stepping on one! Then sukkel jou gat af for half an hour to get out

BigEd

« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2008, 09:28:45 pm »

Eina!

Keep ém coming... ;D