Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What's the dumbest thing you've done with your bike?  (Read 6092 times)

Offline Archangel

• Admin & Commercial
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Of maar net Gabriel
Re: What's the dumbest thing you've done with your bike?
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2011, 08:10:05 am »
I've posted this before in Embarrassing situations & not your finest hour..

I was changing tire (again) last night when I accidentally bumped over the 950, which then fell against the 525 that is standing half disassembled sending tools and bike parts flying everywhere. To add injury to insult, during the process a bucket of old oil was knocked over leaving my garage looking like something that resembles potjiekos leftovers with bikes, tools and parts all over the place covered in a thick black mess. Nice...

I was not impressed with myself  :xxbah:

Anyways, so that wasn't the only little mishap I had with this rebuild. Two nights ago, I'm super amped to get the bike started, but the wiring's a mess. SO I grab the one thick cable (battery terminal) and then the second terminal I could find and connect them both to the battery. Luckily my old man was there to point out that they were different ends of the same cable... :o

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2011, 08:50:10 am »
Mine was super stupid
I took of the tank to clean the carb. Well was my first time so with the car next to the bike.
So checked on the car and did the same on the bike.
Nou I needed according to the spray can rev the engine, the car was easy but the bike just didnt want to, lights went on and everything started and then died. OMG what did I do checked here there and then DUHHHH the freeken tank !!!!!!  :imaposer:
So quickly looked to see if anyone saw me and connected the tank  :imaposer:

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline Rooikat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR500
  • Honda XL500S
« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2011, 08:52:04 am »
Tried to ride up the steps of the Aula, Tukkies in my varsity days (not sober, of course). The guys from the SRC spent days trying to find the guilty arsehole party.
"The only reason for cleaning things is if you want to mount, frame and hang them in your living room" - The famous CJC

"The older I get, the better I was."

"I don't care a f*** what it looks like, as long as it works" - The famous CJC

Offline mulder

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2011, 09:14:47 am »
Ok not me but my brother, my Honda Cub had packed-up so he had put an old 125cc motor in it, taken the brake leaver off a bicycle and modified it to use on the front brakes, no rear tire so he used a 2 inch hosepipe to wrap around the rim. Him and 2 of his trusty friends hopped on it and took it on a 50km ride around the sugarcane fields and back along a gravel road. Not far from home he lost traction on a corner and the scoot just slid along the road, he ended up at Westville hospital having skin graphs to try cover up the mess the road made of his shoulder  :'(  His friends were fine but not so trusting these days  ;D
You can't get lost if you are exploring !
1966 Vespa sold,  1981 Vespa  sold
2012 Ducati 848     sold, 2012 Ducati 796   sold
2013 Honda 600rr     sold, 2013 Honda NC700x  sold
2008 KLR 650  CTX200, NC 750X

Offline Einstein

« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2011, 09:17:11 am »
Had a CR125 when I was still at school.. So before you go for a ride, you open the tap, kick it into life (Started first time every time) then after a few minutes of riding, the bike would simply just die, and no matter how hard you kick, or push, the thing wouldn't start. So I push it all the way home, close the tap, and next time, it fires up with effortless ease.. First time..

Turns out I somehow, somewhere along the line, I forgot to close the tap after a ride... So I actually closed the tap before each ride, and kept thinking "We should've bought that bloody RM 250 instead"

Offline Gypsybaron

• It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2011, 09:31:18 am »
@Einstein: With a forum name like that, you should've known better! ::)
“All education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a child’s coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.” Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

Offline Einstein

« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2011, 09:39:10 am »
@Einstein: With a forum name like that, you should've known better! ::)

I've had a few of these "genius" moments in my life..   :ricky:

Offline krister

« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2011, 10:49:01 am »
As a laaitie growing up in Potch I rode a TS50ER (Zook).  Man, this bike was BIG in my teenage eyes...  :thumleft:

Anyway, one of my best friends had a RGF50 (also Zook) and we used to meet up for smokes before and after school.  We went to different schools so we would meet up and then go our separate ways.  One of the places we used to meet was a little veldjie at a rainwater canal - those concrete ones with grass on either side.  This was nice as we could hide inside the canal in our school uniforms while puffing away...  8)

Also to be taken into account, was that the sides of the canal differed from section to section, with some being at a 30-odd degree angle and a mere 1 metre of concrete and others going up to 45 degrees with about 3m concrete.  So, invariably, we would venture into the canal with the bikes and ride up and down through the rain puddles and so forth.   ;)

So, this day we were particularly happy and yours truly felt particularly bulletproof - riding into the canal at the "easy" sections and then toying with the "difficult ones", making figures of eight and stopping on the grass embankment again for banter and another skyf.  Well, at this stage, of course, helmets were lying on the grass - as were shirts - and riding was done basking in the Western Transvaal sun with a John Rolfe between the teeth...  :mwink:

Now here, I got the great idea to get some momentum on one side of the canal and then ride through it with the additional momentum assisting me with my glorious ramp up the other side... In theory, that is.  So, I wind the 50 up to top revs on the grass and hit the downhille in 2nd, resulting in serious over-rev on the coming dow, so I kick into 3rd and hit the 45 degree up...  

:mwink:

Somehow I failed to note the wire fence on the other side of the canal (JJ Pienaar High School) and after the ramp, in mid air, I slam both brakes.  Hit the gravel, bike sliding from under me and underneath the school fence!   :o  Needless to say, I did not feel so bulletproof having to walk app 2 km around the school to go fetch my Zook - now without flickers and with some serious scratches  :imaposer:

Like they say:  Young, dumb and full of come   :biggrin:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:52:53 am by krister »
Previous Bikes: Suzuki TS50ER; Suzuki GS1000G; Kawasaki Z1000; Yamaha XT500; BMW F650GS; BMW R1150GS; BMW R1200GS Adventure; BMW R1200GS

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #208 on: June 14, 2011, 11:55:05 am »
Years ago on mt GT550 Suzuki, parked nose into the curb outside the place all the chicks hang out.
Walk up to my bright and shiny pride and joy, helmet on, fish in pocket for keys, keys in ignition and on, press the happy button, give it a blip of throttle (had triple expansion boxes) so that EVERYONE knows I am about to depart in style. Glance over the shoulder to check for a gap and give it horns.
Next thing I know is that I am flat on my back next to my screaming bike.
..........forgot to unlock the steering lock down below.  :dousing:

Did that twice, had a Suzuki GS 750.....was pissed the one time though, goose on the back too, also pissed...... :biggrin:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Tintin

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #209 on: June 14, 2011, 06:23:58 pm »
Here at the office, we have an entrepreneur that has set up a car wash in the basement. The oke does a blerry good job, so we enquired if he would do bikes as well, as there are good few bikers in the building. "For sure baas, I wash the bike nicely" was the response.
One of the guys has a kwacker VN800. The bike is black and chrome and the owner is about 6 4'' tall and wide. Takes kark from no-one....

So he's first in line with his pimping cruiser. Tells washer boy that he is not to ride the boney, he'll bring the bike down to the wash bay and he'll fetch it. Bike delivered, he's back up to the office. Gets a call later the day, "baas, the bike she is clean" So we all go down to see the results. Man this bike is gleaming, better than on the showroom floor. The rider is more than chuffed. "Baba, you have done good work!!" Smiles all round. Later that day he goes down again for home time. Now he is a bit wind-gat, but lets face it, he has the bulk to be, so he is allowed. On the cruiser and he winds it up straight thru pips shout loudly. He is well chuffed. The bike is loud and blinging !!!
Gives it horns out the multi-level basment. Turn one is good, turn 2 he gives it a bit of gas, Eish papie, the arse steps out. Groot skrik, washer boy has polished the tyres!!! Fark china.... All of a sudden we are riding civilized like again.

So there he is on his way home poosey footing it a bit, when he recons that the tyre polish is scrubbed off, so the confidence comes back. Cruising on the cruiser, picking up pace, life is good.

Up front a traffic light approaches, so he recons he'll gun it just in case. He's in no mood to stop and the gunning begins, except grandma crossing his path doesn't check the gunning situation and she shoots the light... FAAARK. Big time front brake front tyre grips the tar, arse leaves the saddle and gonads meet handle bar !!! Washer boy polished the saddle too...

6 4'' is now 3 2'' and the tears are streaming down his face. to his credit he handle the bike till he could stop 50 meters down the road and assume the fetal position.....

Washer boy was instructed to NEVER polish ANY part of a bike ever again....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 06:32:52 pm by Tintin »
Above the planet on a wing and a prayer,
My grubby halo, a vapour trail in the empty air
Across the clouds I see my shadow fly
Out of the corner of my watering eye
A dream unthreatened by the morning light Could blow this soul right through the roof of the night Tongue tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit. I

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2011, 06:33:27 pm »
 :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

OMG, that must have looked funny.... :imaposer:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #211 on: June 14, 2011, 07:46:35 pm »
Years ago on mt GT550 Suzuki, parked nose into the curb outside the place all the chicks hang out.
Walk up to my bright and shiny pride and joy, helmet on, fish in pocket for keys, keys in ignition and on, press the happy button, give it a blip of throttle (had triple expansion boxes) so that EVERYONE knows I am about to depart in style. Glance over the shoulder to check for a gap and give it horns.
Next thing I know is that I am flat on my back next to my screaming bike.
..........forgot to unlock the steering lock down below.  :dousing:

Did that twice, had a Suzuki GS 750.....was pissed the one time though, goose on the back too, also pissed...... :biggrin:

Those were great bikes you couldnt burst that motor!!! :biggrin:
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline lecap

« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2011, 08:34:48 am »
Most stupid thing mechanical:

Believing that a 605cc high comp. piston SR500 mill with White Bros. high lift cam, twin spark ignition, open velocity stack on a 38mm Dell'Orto and a Supertrapp pipe will be reliable.

Lessons learned:
Engines with Dell'Ortos hardly idle smoothly, never respond without hickups and rarely are easy to kick start ::) CV carbs were invented for a reason.
Boring & resleeving a 500cc Yami single to 605cc is not sustainable. Although the engine still ran after the cylinder sheared. Held together by the timing chain and leaking "a bit" :D

Consolation: Your second performance engine will be better than the first one.
540cc Wiseco, salvaged cam & exhaust from first project, same twin spark conv. and a 39mm Keihin CV off an FT500. Ran nicely, started easy & lasted.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)