Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What's the dumbest thing you've done with your bike?  (Read 6095 times)

Offline Lito

• BANNED TROLL
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • BANNED TROLL
Re: What's the dumbest thing you've done with your bike?
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2008, 09:37:42 am »
Pulling away standing (BMW style) at the 2007 Annual Toy Run.  Would have been cool pulling off the Adv centre stand like that - only problem I forgot to take the disc lock off.  I dont think I need to explain further. 

:imaposer:  fooking hilarious...

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2008, 09:54:48 am »
Re-wired my MTX50, and could not get spark to the plug, no matter how hard I tried.
Did this, tried that, brought in a mates MBX50 to check how his wiring is done.

No luck.

One night I was again fiddling with the wiring in the ignition: I would sit on the seat, put my hand on the spark plug cable, and lightly press down on the kickstarter with my right leg to feel if there is any spark in the cable.

After doing this for several weeks, one becomes accustomed to the ritual, and the light "press" on the kickstarter eventually became a strong kick.

Then, one evening, as I was sitting on the bike, hoding with my right hand onto the throttle grip, looking down at the ignition wiring and absentmindedly kicking the engine over........the bike fired up!
And my left hand is clamped around the spark plug cable, and my right hand is twisting the throttle wide open as the shocks makes my muscles tighten and my hands clamp shut.

I dont know how I came loose from the bike.
Next thing I could remember is me lying on the floor next to bike with the spark plug cable and condensor in my hand.

;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 09:55:12 am by Kaboef »
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

masehare

« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2008, 10:05:13 am »
on the 50cc mb5 first bike

going down hill feet on the back flickers doing 105

now the left shoe lace get stuck on the flicker

battle to a stand still but the bike goes to the left

hospital for to days

Ouch! A similar thing happened to my sister's ex boyfriend. On his way to the cafe , he took a short cut through the local veld with his XT500. As usual, he aimed for the man made ramp, but just before he went air borne he realised it would be a rough landing and he kicked the bike away. But he followed the bike because his shoe laces were hooked on the gear lever.

Offline >Herman<

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2008, 10:05:46 am »
 :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

And you all still ride bikes

:imaposer:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2008, 10:10:58 am »
Cripes, my sides are sore....   :imaposer:

Hats off to you guys for admiting all this.....! 

:imaposer:
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline surf

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Eks in...
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2008, 10:17:30 am »
 :imaposer: :ricky:

Ouens, die trane loop nou so....

Some great stories :D
"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them..."

Offline Fidel

• Capo di Rompe Coglione
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • U KANTE KILLE ME
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2008, 11:06:50 am »
Theres a few i guess, but heres one or two.

Short legs and KTM640 dont always gell. Main road Ladismith after days trek through bush. Ride into town like da manne. Stop at robot and dont realise its off camber so foot goes down to reach the tar but nothing there. Wammo, straight down on its side........i picked the bike up quicker than it went down, while looking around to see ho was watching. :-\

Riding dirt bikes, but on the old piece of tar that we saw all day. My mate Ian, and rides up next to me to slap me on the helmut. Ya, next thing bars hook up and both of us go scraping down the road.

BigEd

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2008, 11:18:28 am »
Komaan okes! I need more...don't be shy...

Offline Skirt

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • life is just as deadly as it looks
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2008, 11:36:03 am »
This is the best thread ever.

Not me, but my husband:

Many years ago his girlfriend locked him out the house because he was late.  He arrived licquored up nicely and very pissed off because he couldn't get into his own house.

No problem, he will just wheelie through the front door.  This he did - on a Yamaha IT490.  He took the front door, frame and all, out the wall, hit the couch in the lounge which in turn went through the glass sliding door.  Cherry on top was she called the cops and he got arrested for breaking and entering.  Those were the days when the cops still pitched up.

Next day she left and it cost him a fortune to fix everything but he said it was a bargain as he was wondering how to get rid of this girl anyway.
Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with?  That's me!

Offline Stofstreep

• Semi-retired
  • Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Hot and humid
    • On a Dust cloud in Africa
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2008, 11:42:14 am »
Not me but I was there! ;D
At school I stayed in the hostel. One of the Teachers had a xr500 hybrid/mix type of bike.
So picture this:
Just after dinner on a lekker summer evening, all the boys gather on the steps outside to enjoy the last light of the day before study time. Everyone is chatting and joking, when this teacher(very likable ouke, but assertive) pushes through everyone to quickly go fetch something at home.
Now this ouke is lekker tall and has no trouble holding the bike upright. He starts kick this thing and the next moment the bike kicks back. throws him clean of the bike.
Silence................Then the whole hostel bust out laughing. Bwhahahahahah!
:D :D :D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 11:44:24 am by Stofstreep »
Be careful of the words you say.
And keep them soft and sweet.
For you never know from day to day.
Which ones you'll have to eat.

Offline lecap

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2008, 11:48:41 am »
In the good old days of those lousy little Neimann steering locks:

Came from the beer garden, mounted XS650 sure not having locked the steering. Started, put into gear, engaged clutch and rode elegant half circle into a whole lot of parked bicycles landing atop of them. Quickly extracted the bicycles (or what was left of them) from my bike, unlocked steering and made escape. Luckily the few bystanders weren't sober and too busy laughing to stop me from leaving the scene.

Another one was in a similar setting but on a different bike. Rode off on my very nice CB550F2 to realize in the first right hander that my side stand was still down and the little rubber that was supposed to push it up had gone AWOL. The side stand almost highsided me into a left turn where I fortunately found lowered curbs preventing rim and tyre damage before I penetrated a picket fence and plowed through some flowers and small shrubs. Just before coming to a standstill I knocked over a (fully loaded) braai and a whole family including grandparents and kids was staring at me in terror while the sausage dog disappeared hiding under a deck chair.
To the day I'm not sure what frightened them the most: The "sporty" roar of the Honda, the crash, the long haired leather clad biker appearing with picket batons flying all over the place, their chops & sausages being tipped onto the lawn or the combination of all.
Let me only tell you that I did not manage to escape unnoticed and the repairs to the fence actually tore a larger hole into an appie's budget than the minor damages to the bike.
My two friends who had dismounted and were standing in the gap in the fence pissing themselves with laughter weren't really helpful to persuade the family that I'm perfectly sober, the bike's 100% legal, they must not phone the police and that I will pay for the damages.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2008, 11:50:58 am »
 :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »
years ago , i was 18 ,still living at home and in varsity... we had a deep sloet on the road making the drive way and road a lil bit higher than normal...

one night at about 2 AM a little gewyn i happen to stop wit the front wheel on the drive way and the rear wheel on the road.... my CB900F tips over an promptly pins bme under the bike in my gewyned state....hoot to wake up the ole man and in the process wake up the neighbourhood ....good laugh ...my ole man to this day still brings it up 25 years later...

another incident ....on my TS50ER supermachine ...my girlfriend at the time lived on an uphill...one day after i had been visiting i wanted to see that if i went backwards would the odo go backwards too...so i skeem cool and start moving backwards doewn the hill...not even 20 metres and i moer over seriously ..... her dad thought it was hilarious ...i tried to explain but that made them laugh more
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline superten

• has a magnificent
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • ...XTZ 750 Super Tenere
    • the seals of nam
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2008, 12:06:12 pm »
I am so happy that I am not the only retarded person on the planet.

19 years old, bought myself a Z500. It had a Bassani exhaust with lots of rusty holes in it.
And it had to be roadworthied.
 I happened to have some plaster paris lying about from a previous fracture-so I went to work on the exhaust-lots of plaster of paris-and a tin of black paint later-she was ready.
I rode below 3000rpm to the greenpoint traffic station, noticing that over 3000,projectile like objects were being emitted from everywhere around the pipe.

The bike was roadworthy, and the inspector, liking my pony, decided to give it a good hard rev.

The resulting mushroom cloud of plaster of paris powder covered the inspector, the roadworthy area, and myself.

I had to buy a new tailpiece before the bike got through.
It is time.

Offline luke

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2008, 12:28:57 pm »
It's good to laugh, thanks guys
Grey haired riders don't get that way by pure luck ! !

Offline Dries

« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2008, 12:39:34 pm »
Tis is is good man ..............    :ricky:

Best laugh I had in a long time .....

Keep them coming .........   :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Thanks guys !
Never explain yourself to anyone!
Because the person who likes you doesn't need it
and the person who dislikes you won't believe it !!

Offline Carlos

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
    • Design
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2008, 12:45:11 pm »
Still at school I did Motorx enduro on a air-cooled KDX 175 - the race was at Uitenhage on the Sat - however the previous Sat snapped my cablr and waited for Fri after school to pic up new one. Pulled out the carb piston, the cable was connected to it by a ring which was connected to the piston by a screw...now this screw was mooring vas, no matter how i tried i couldn't get it off - now I had borrowed and begged bucks to get the cable 'cos I was very keen to do the race - I think i was in some kind of mind panic because to get the old cable off without removing the plate I had to snip of the lead bead on the end of the cable ...and so logically at that mind state I cutt of the new cable's nipple to get it in aswell...now what now - so because i was and still am fookin stupid when it comes to anything mechanical, so I cut off the screw end of the earth of a plug and made it vas to the cable..hey it worked..in the third race came off and split my head!!!

Offline GSASTERIX (RIP)

• Pack Dog
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2008, 01:12:36 pm »
had my first bike about a week
the road had a y kink in it and with the 50 you could go flatout throu the kink

after dark i did the same trip,looking at the clock 105,106,107,108 and then no more road,only the prefab wall of the owner in the middle of the y

the mb 5 fitted in the back of a nissan (datsun) 1400,from side to side,me.....

i am still here
LIFE IS 2 SHORT FOR SHIT!!!!
U NEVER GET A SECOND CHANCE TO MAKE A FIRST IMPRESSION

Offline GSASTERIX (RIP)

• Pack Dog
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2008, 01:18:23 pm »
cb 750 wanted to fit a canaster but R 800 was alot of mon so

wanted to know what the airage canaster would sound like,slipped it on

sweeeeet sound,till the kaklonk fooook,kalank klafook,did not fasten it for the test run,

1 windscreen and one headlight for a 1989 merc 380 sec was much more than the pipe
LIFE IS 2 SHORT FOR SHIT!!!!
U NEVER GET A SECOND CHANCE TO MAKE A FIRST IMPRESSION

Offline Warren Ellwood

« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2008, 01:27:54 pm »
Friday morning two weeks ago I am locking my tandem garage (two cars in a row instead of side by side) from the inside which houses our two lovely 650 Gs's and my beloved 4x4.

As I am about to exit, I remember that the maid is coming in today and if she uses the tumble drier (it's raining), my Dakar which stands directly in front of it will once again be covered in fluff.

So I very cleverly move it roughly half way down and to the middle, no chance of any fluff getting on it now.

Following a lekker day at work, discovering the weather looks perfect for a mystery BMW ride on Sunday, Pink (favorite singer) blaring away on the radio, I travel home in brilliant spirits.

I just get on the N7 towards Tableveiw, my wife phones me to remind me that my bike is parked in the middle of the garage. she has seen it as she always very kindly opens the garage door for me. "No problem" were my words, "I'll move it when I get home". "Do you think I'm stupid".

15 To 20 minutes later, I pull into our complex and think to myself, I need to empty the truck of all its 4x4 stuff this weekend as it is going to the panel beater on Monday,(damaged in the Buffelspoort) so I will reverse into the garage tonight.

About 10 seconds later I feel a terrible crunch and hear a terrible noise as it hits me what I've just done. Reversed into my bike, knocked it almost to the end of the garage and into the side wall. It's even harder to accept not having anyone to blame, I mean it can't be my fault can it.

A week of not smoking goes down the tube as does a good few tots of Witblitz (self punishment) before I calm down enough to check the damage. Actually not that bad until you find out the cost of a new side panel for a Dakar (plastics welder here I come). But fixed it enough so that it's almost not noticable (except to me) and the rest is pretty minor so was able to enjoy Sunday's ride with my wife on her first ever very long ride and more importantly, her first pass on her own bike (Du Toit's Kloof).

In hindsight, I could have wiped the fluff off.

To top it all on Sunday's ride at the Shell garage in Worcester, the "meneer" filling my bike chatting to his mate pours pertrol all over my bike, all over me and all over the floor. I try to move the bike out of the puddle, slip in the petrol and drop the bike again on the same side.

Never let your wife put her goed in your garage, look what happens.
"Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is it necessary, is it true, and does it improve on the silence?"