Pieta working on his 'new' G/S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pietas

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
I recently acquired another R80 G/S. Actually, I traded my originally restored R80 G/S for another.
Originally I wanted to buy this bike but had already committed to buying my previous bike.
Anyway, it found its way to me.

The bike is currently in need of a lot of love and attention. It is dirty (oil everywhere) and not much has been done regarding general maintenance and keeping the bike clean.
Lots of money had been spent on improvements but the basics are lacking or badly executed (e.g. the wiring).
Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have no half measures. I like things to be done correctly. My requirements for my bike is reliability, efficiency and correctness.

Have decided to strip most of the bike down (will leave the engine and gearbox in), clean and replace what needs to be done and generally make her pretty.
The bike as is contains the following:
  • Suzuki RMZ450 front-end
  • Braced frame (HPN style done by Volker from VS Motorad)
  • 60mm swing arm extension
  • Siebenrock power kit for R80, endurance oil pan, oil cooler, taller 5th gear (installed by Volker)
  • R100GS fuel tank
  • New starter (VS Motorad)

The biggest expenses, for now, will be replacing all the wiring, the coil  (cracked), completely rebuilding the carburettors (replacing the internals) and replacing the rear shock (still undecided what brand to use here). Other things that come to mind is the light bucket (broken), the speedo needs to be fixed (counters not working), the wheels will need to be checked, rear fender will be replaced (version Freek makes), making sure the bearings are still good (headset, swing arm and wheels) and who knows what else that I might still discover. It is only when you strip a bike down that you really discover what is not correct.
Most of this stuff has already been ordered, bought or on its way for Germany or UK. Some things will require some custom parts for fitment (e.g. exhaust and indicator brackets).

I have already stripped most of the bike down and the cleaning will start this week. And since I work slowly and methodically, it might take a while. At least I learned a lot from all the work I had to do to get the previous bike to is current state.

The list of things to be done:
  • Replace all wiring looms (main, engine, ignition, transmission, tail light, front brake, back brake, clutch)
  • Replace switch gear (left, right)
  • Replace battery cables (heavy duty ones)
  • Replace coil (newer Bosch version)
  • Replace sparkplugs
  • Replace diode board (Emerald Island version)
  • Rebuild and set carbs
  • Check, grease bearings (headset, swingarm, wheels)
  • Replace driveshaft boot
  • Replace light bucket
  • Repair speedo (in for servicing - DJ Instrumentation)
  • Back shock (MP, Wilbers, ?)
  • Setup suspension
  • Set ignition timing, valve clearances and carbs
  • Fit bashplate (GS PD copy)
  • Fit wider footpegs (and possibly footpeg lowering kit)
  • Back mudguard (Freek)
  • Check wheels (rims, spokes, tires, tubes)
  • Lengthen centre stand
  • Fit modified side stand (Rob)
  • Headlight globe or LED globe (Extreme lights)
  • Airfilter (UNI)
  • Replace all the leaking gaskets and seals
  • Replace all the oil (engine, gearbox, swingarm, final-drive)
  • Exhaust (end-cap) (Beserker)
  • Grease exhaust nuts
  • Service fuel taps
  • Clean and check brakes (front, back) (pads, oil). Bleed front brake

The list of improvements:
  • LED indicators (BMW)
  • Breather bolt changes (Ian)
  • Digital speedo (Sienbenrock, Acewell, Speedhut)
  • LED Spot lights (Extreme lights)
  • Modified back brake (Siebenrock)
  • Luggage racks (VS Motorad)

The list of nice to haves:
  • Steering damper (Scott)

Some history pictures
Bike started as something like this
IMG_1052.jpg

That got turned into this
IMG_1056.jpg

And how I got her
IMG_1058.jpg