3rd gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lecap

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Three cases so far:

First bike came for replacement of a burned clutch.  Mileage ca. 50,000km if I remember correctly. I found a sheared gear dog in the oil screen. Full disassembly, fortunately no collateral damage. The bike gave no indications of a gear box problem.

Second case: The bike came with what sounded suspiciously like a big end bearing failure. On disassembly it turns out that again the 3rd driving gear had shed a dog. It got tossed around by the crank webs a bit and eventually got hammered into the front of the crankcase. The big end hit the protruding piece of the gear every time it came around hence the "big end knock". The con rod was fcuked thanks to a gouge the gear dog took out of it :-\ Mileage 40,000km.

Number three was shaking like a wet dog and overheating. The balancer chain was lying in the alternator cover in tatters. The left bearing of the forward balancer shaft has a slight nick, the left bearing of the rear balancer shaft has seized.
Again one of the dogs of the 3rd driving gear was broken off. It first got picked up by the crank shaft, tossed about a few times and eventually pulled through the oil baffle where it took out half the threaded boss of the 8mm housing bolt at the end of the baffle. Some of the scrap that was flying about inside the engine now got thrown up onto the rear balancer and wedged between the balancer and crank case bringing the balancer to a sudden halt and snapping the balancer chain.
This one will have to go to the welders and engineers for fixing the casing since I just sold my last good crank case :-\
Mileage 90,000km

All three bikes are KL650E 2008ff models.

Who else had this problem? Which year model?

I never had this problem on any of my 6 KL650C's or 2 KL650A's